Redhawk Caldera Feel the mercury rising
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
A few hours after the pack felled the doe, Peregrine returned to the scene of the crime to feed again. Although the carcass was small, so was the pack. Still, there were only a few pounds of meat left. He intended to put it away (in his stomach, that is), then cache the bones and gristle. He positioned himself over the picked-apart doe, licked his lips, then dove into the meal.

Ten minutes later, he backed away from the supper table and relaxed onto his haunches. The past several weeks had been very hard but things were looking up, at last. The Alpha male scanned his surroundings, his mind wandering to the future. His love life was on an upswing. The Firebirds would continue flourishing and soon, there would be another litter to tend. He knew his mate was foraying out into the wilderness to find some recruits, so hopefully the ranks would swell again soon. It was a while yet before winter, so they could look forward to several more months of plenty.

Content for the moment, Peregrine licked his chops and reclined to watch the sun begin to set in the west.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian walked in a sulking pace past the border, occasionally he would rub his shoulder against a tree and if the scent was really weak he would, with very much effort, lift his paw. Sebastian was quick to lower it again and sulk on. Not really an active patrol from the large male. He kept thinking about Tiger and how unfortunate it was that she died. He was rather wary of herbs now. Sebastian was thinking of maybe traveling up north to see the black female that came to RHC borders to tell about Tiger's dead body. Just to get give himself some new scenery.

Once Sebastian made his round he shambled forward into the territory. He hadn't even felt like eating. He helped with hunting but he hadn't eaten, he just left quickly afterwards. Sebastian knew the pack was lacking adults so he wasn't refrained to help them. Now he did feel a slight twinge of a more severe hunger so he hoped that there might be some left as he didn't really feel like running much more. Yet, once he arrived he saw his alpha.. Or no? Peregrine wasn't an alpha anymore? Or was he? He looked damn happy so Sebastian figured his rank was reinstated by Fox.

With a sulking expression he watched how the carcass didn't have any meat left. Dang. He was too late. Sebastian was probably heard by the other since he had been dragging his feet. His head hung low to the ground like he was sniffling something, yet it was soon clear the male didn't really put much effort in holding it up. "Hey Peregrine," he muttered in greeting, he still had to be polite after all. Sebastian glanced at him but then continued his path on the slow sulking pace he was walking before not really wanting to bother Peregrine and his good mood.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
He wasn't alone for long. A familiar hulking figure sauntered in his direction. Peregrine smiled at Sebastian, squinting against the glare of the setting sun as he regarded his pack mate. His lips twisted downward when he read the male's body language. He looked very down in the dumps. The Alpha's heart skipped a beat, wondering what might have happened. He pushed himself into an upright position, gaze weighing heavily on the subordinate's face.

"Hey, Seb," he replied. "What's the matter?" he wanted to know, getting right to the punch. He wracked his mind to pinpoint what might be going on with the amenable tank. Of course, he had no idea about Sebastian's feelings toward Tiger, so he did not immediately think to attribute his melancholy mood to the death of Finley's sister.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian stopped in his tracks when the alpha asked what was wrong. He really wanted to walk away and just not face his problems. It wasn't just that his crush died. It was someone else that left him. He was making friends here and the male just started to wonder how long he would get to see his friends. It had happened before in his former pack. His dad, who he had looked up to so much hoping that he would talk to him one day, just left. He felt abandoned even though his mother was caring, and then after a short while thanks to cruel faith she had to die too, leaving him with his horrible uncle.

This uncle was a terrible leader he was his siblings and half-siblings die in groups almost. And even now, when he escaped from that life he felt like a curse was following him. Ever since he joined there had been nothing but trouble for the Caldera. Maybe that was what hurt him so deeply, the shame of being such a bad omen for the pack and the gut wrenching feeling that he was doomed to be abandoned. Not loved by anyone. It was so easy to just believe in some made up curse. Sebastian just sagged to the ground, his head between his out stretched front paws. "I don't feel like talking about it," he spoke on a monotone like voice. Mainly because he was also very insecure about this topic. "I don't want to ruin your good mood," he then added, still trying to be so nice to others.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Sebastian's reluctance to share caused Peregrine to frown. It made him think of Pan. He liked to think the wolves of the caldera were close, a tightly-knit family. Yet twice now his pack mates had refused to confide in him. The Alpha wondered how he could make his subordinates feel like they could trust him and share what was on their minds. Was he doing something that made them feel as if they couldn't come to him about their troubles? Sebastian's second remark caused the frown to deepen.

"Who says I'm in a good mood?" he joked wryly, then said, "I won't force you to talk, Seb, but if you need someone to listen, that's what I'm here for."
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian instantly felt guilty when Peregrine frowned. Now he basically already ruined his mood right? Sebastian side-eyed at the alpha and shrugged. "It is not that I don't want to tell it... But...," he muttered and sighed deeply. "I guess I miss Tiger. I really liked her and it just so unfair that she died," he spoke, sounding more upset than before. "Anyone I care about dies or suffers," he then let out bitterly, looking actually really angry. "I mean ever since I joined members are leaving or something horrible happens to the pack," the young male then admitted. "Tiger, that young black female attacking wildfire. One of your young died close after being born... right? And... I just. I don't know," he let out with a frown of himself.

Sebastian hated how all this misfortune washed over him. He just wasn't sure if he could handle another wave of misery. He felt like a coward for not facing his father yet, but that was mainly for his own sake, him not wanting even more trouble and misery. "I just thought my fate was turning when I met Tiger..," he whispered.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
It seemed Peregrine's words might prompt Sebastian to unload after all. The Alpha kept his lips pressed tightly together as the other male looked at him sideways, his expression one of patient expectation. A slew of words then tumbled from the tank's lips. Peregrine's brows lifted when he realized that Sebastian must have been close to Tiger. Before he could properly process that, Sebastian continued. Peregrine felt a weird twinge when he brought up "Derp." Had he been there for that? Peregrine honestly couldn't remember.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Seb," the Alpha began after a beat of silence. "Don't take this the wrong way but... everyone suffers and everybody dies. So of course you'll know folks who suffer and die." He paused. "It's hard. And it feels so unfair. I've known my fair share of loss and tragedy too, including everything you just listed. But you know what? That's life for you. Take your time to grieve but realize that things will get better... and worse... and better... you see where I'm going with this."

He offered Sebastian a sympathetic smile, then climbed to all fours and moved closer to the other wolf before seating himself again. "Were you romantically involved with Tiger?" he asked quietly. "That makes it extra hard. Look, you're not a bad omen, though. You've brought way more good to this pack than you have bad. You helped save Wildfire's life, for instance, and now she adores you."
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian frowned at Peregrine's words. He felt like it didn't get better for him. He was slowly adjusting to the Caldera and actually liking it, even though he had one moment he was tempted to leave. He was glad he didn't since they needed him now more than ever. But still, the alpha's words didn't really soothe him. "But for me it only feels like a downwards spiral of more and more trouble. I thought it would just---," he let out a frustrated sigh.

The male obviously got flustered when Peregrine asked that. Sebastian clearly had wished that. "No.. I guess... no. I mean.. I liked her... but I don't think she even saw me in a romantic aspect," he ended in a mutter. His ears perked up when Peregrine told her that Wifi adored him. He was a bit like her big brother, true, and he couldn't really leave because he liked her too (in a very non-pervert way). "Well I can't really deny that, no," he admitted but he still was a bit sad, though at least while speaking he had lifted his head off the ground. "I just thought that .. for once the girl I liked would like me back and well it was a rather had blow that she died. And just all these extra efforts to keep everyone out. Maybe I just feel a bit isolated or something."
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
He'd sort of put his foot in his mouth on that one, hadn't he? As far as Peregrine could tell, Sebastian hadn't brought any bad to the caldera, which was actually a little surprising considering his dramatic history. The newly reinstated Alpha wanted to clarify, yet Sebastian didn't seem to have noticed much, so he let it go. He listened to each and every one of the male's words, weighing them carefully before responding.

"I can't speak for Tiger," he began, "but I'm sure that if she was here, she would like you right back, Seb." He smiled a sad little smile. "You'll find someone, if that's what you want. I know it's easier said than done but don't give up hope. And I really am sorry for the lost potential, man. That's hard," Peregrine commiserated.

His brow furrowed when he considered Sebastian's last few words. "The object of keeping others away isn't to make us feel isolated. This pack is your family. If there's anything we can do to make you feel more positive about that, let us know. And if you want to see wolves from outside the caldera, you know that's okay, right? We just don't want them in our house, is all. Some of us don't mind being self-contained... but if you have friends and family out there, you're welcome to go see them."
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian wasn't really sure if he was looking for love, a mate and you know... kids. Maybe one day but not now, he just became 2! He had a lot of things before he would do all of... that. But the young male did crave a bit of a buddy or someone that would give him some extra attention. Maybe he was looking for a mate, or at least someone to hang out with. Though Peregrine's words were kind. He liked to believe that Tiger liked his quirky awkwardness along with being a giant. But he would never know.

Sebastian felt a bit guilty he made Peregrine thing that he didn't see the Caldera as he family but he did! "I do see the Caldera as his family. But you have Fox and Elwood has Finley.... I never really had a connection to Pan to be honest, and well then we have the kids.. but they are kids. I like Wifi but I can't really hang out with her like I would with Tiger or something. I often feel like I am intruding. With all the extra protection I might, maybe, a bit, feel like that wolves.. of my age... don't feel welcome enough to join," he then admitted. "I guess I have that awkward age that hangs in between. You are all having babies and are being parents and leaders and I am just... floating bachelor.. helping out, sure. But.. yeah---Not that you guys are old but... more adult or something."

Sebastian sometimes felt so awkward. Plus he didn't want to blame Peregrine for having a lack members. It just happened. "Oh! I can go see other wolves?," he then asked. Never really sure if he was allowed to leave. Well then he might go visited Nochtli, the girl that was polite enough to bring them the bad news about Tiger. "I might do that then," he spoke a bit more positive.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Sebastian explained why he felt out of place in the caldera's ranks. He was right; most of the wolves here had a special someone or a close relationship, at the very least. It seemed he had lost his only close companion when Tiger had perished. No wonder he felt so forlorn. Peregrine's lips pursed. He would do his part to make Sebastian feel more a part of things. In the meantime, at least he seemed to brighten up a little when reminded that he could go beyond the caldera.

"Just be aware that if you tell anyone you're from the caldera, they may not react well," the Alpha said. "But, yeah, feel free to roam. Maybe you can find a nice girl and bring her home, eh?" he suggested, hoping it wasn't too soon to make jokes. "Anyway, I don't want you to feel out of place in your own home. If there's anything I can do to help, just say the word. Even if it's just spending more time hanging out with you. I'd like that, actually."
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian was a bit more cheered up by Peregrine. The male had a way of changing his mind, both of the alpha couple really. Which was definitely a reason why he did see them as family. They genuinely wanted him to be happy and would like to help with reaching that. "Oh? Well I will remember it," he returned, not sure why wolves would dislike the Caldera but then he was reminded of how they chased out other wolves and and Peregrine killed.... yeah. 

"Hopefully. I am not sure. I am not very good with girl. I get awkward and just yeah. But I guess I need to learn or something," he ended in an embarrassed mumble. His pale blue eyes were casted at Peregrine, a playful smile joining on his face. "Oo yeah? You still got that young wolf in you? You've gotten a little grey," he spoke. "Oh wait-- I'm all gray," he then laughed. His joke didn't really work due to his coat color. 
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
"Awkwardness can be endearing," Peregrine was quick to say, immediately thinking of Pantaleimon. "I'd be happy to help coach you. I'm not, like, a Casanova or anything... but I do consider myself a romantic. I can give you some tips to sweep the ladies off their feet." He laughed softly and winked a dusky jade eye.

Sebastian made a joke at his expense, though the Alpha didn't mind it. "More like white, I've been told... I haven't really checked out my reflection yet. It's kind of crazy how it faded overnight like that. I know I look older but do I at least look wiser too?" he inquired jokingly.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian pushed out his chest. "I don't want to be endearing. I want to be super tough and cool," he spoke and then deflated a bit. Sebastian did have to smile at Peregrine's words. It was nicely offered. Now the young male wanted to know what would sweep a lady of her feet. Not that he had anyone in mind really but it would be good for later. "What will sweep a lady of her feet?," Sebastian asked Peregrine. "How did you get Fox to fall for you?"

Sebastian nodded, it was more like white-ish. He wondered how it happened. The alpha had indeed turned grey overnight. Sebastian nodded adorably. "Yes. Definitely," he assured. "At least I think so. But I think you were already kind of wise before you had your white/grey fur. But, since it did change color it seemed that you did change too. I can't put a paw on it. But you do look wiser."
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
"You could be both. You could be the dude who's super tough on the outside but a giant teddy bear on the inside," Peregrine offered. "It's a balance I'm confident you could strike, Seb. You definitely have the look... and the heart. Just be yourself, man, and that'll hook the ladies."

Sebastian was curious to know why Fox had fallen for him. "I like to think it was my bad boy vibe... but you'll really have to ask her. Oh! You should definitely talk to her and the other she-wolves here. They could probably tell you how to win over a woman's heart in a way I never could. How's that for wisdom?" the Alpha joked.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
How Peregrine described how he could be it felt like Sebastian kinda was already like that. Well he could be more tough, he was close to the cuddly teddybear. Sebastian was about to thank him for his kind words when his alpha called him... handsome? Sebastian blinked. "Thank you," he spoke with a hint of a smile. "It means a lot."

"W-whaat? No...," he let out, close to being mortified. It was like a pup asking about sex or something like that to his mother. "Although...," he thought softly. "It would be good to know.. what they like. But I am not... desperate or anything like that. I am not really looking but it would be nice."
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Sebastian's mortified reaction took Peregrine by surprise. But then he remembered that the tank-like wolf wasn't as confident as him. The Alpha would not have hesitated to consult with a few she-wolves about some tips and tricks on how to properly woo a fellow lady. He didn't think it indicated desperation, just a thirst for knowledge, an eagerness to please and a willingness to do whatever it took to treat a lady right.

"Seriously, talking to a few women might really give you some insights. It doesn't have to be a big deal," Peregrine reassured his pack mate. "They can tell you things I'd never even know, no matter how much experience I've had. But if you don't want to do that," he was sure to add, "then I'm your next best bet. I also don't mind talking to Fox and letting you know what she has to say. And I won't mention you by name."
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian shrugged slightly. "I guess you are right in some way," he admitted. "But it feels weird to think about anyone else so soon after Tiger's dead. I still miss her." Sebastian did feel as if his life was more surreal that ever before. Especially after everything that happened. "No! You can't do that. Then you will take all my manliness away from me,"he protested lightly. "I can.. ask it myself." Sebastian wanted to be tougher anyways, and that also included talking to females. 

"I know just the wolf I want to visit. She lives in the North so I might be a way for a bit," Sebastian decided. He wanted to see Nochtli, and thank her for what she did. He also could use a mini break from the Caldera. Just to think about everything that happened. "I hope that is okay. Maybe she comes back to the Caldera with me!," he let out, referring to their earlier topic.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
In one breath, Sebastian said it was too soon after Tiger's death to pursue someone else, then in the next, he mentioned a lady up north. Peregrine tried not to smile, though he failed. He knew the sadness of their pack mate's death, yet he also knew life went on and the pack needed to move on too. In that vein, he would definitely encourage Sebastian to check out this prospect in the north.

"That's fine, Seb. Just don't stay away too long. And if you bring her back here, make sure she's ready to pledge her loyalty." Although he smiled and winked, Peregrine was dead serious. He didn't want to put his pack mates on a leash, though he also didn't want them leaving indefinitely. And if they brought back strangers, they better be recruits.

"Well," he said next, his behavior indicating that he was readying to get going, "I'm gonna head back to the rendezvous site. Maybe the next time I see you, you'll be full of stories about your travels north and the pretty women there. See you later, Seb, and take care." The Alpha stepped forward to bump his nose against the silver male's shoulder, then loped uphill to return to his family's home.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian was about to reply when Peregrine's words settled in. "I never said she was pretty!," Sebastian returned but then realized she was pretty. Not only in appearance but also in her way of being. Which wolf would even think of notifying the family of a dead wolf. He admired her kindness. "But-- I guess she is... pretty. Ehm. Well yes. I will make sure if she comes back with me she will pledge her loyalty. Though I think she is pretty attached to her own family," Sebastian admitted. He would ask her though, maybe she did like the south. Who knew. 

"Give Wifi cuddles from me and tell her I will be back soon," Sebastian felt like a big brother towards her. Of all the three pups he bonded the most with Wifi. But that was maybe because he hung out with her a lot more. The large grey male gave Peregrine a nudge back before Sebastian left to make preparations for his travels. He was surprising excited to see Nochtli.

End thread.