abortifacients / contraceptives?
nothing in life is to be feared,
it is only to be understood.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
could a character know of a fictional herb(s) which could serve under either purpose? like sylphium with the ancient greeks.
[ hover for translations ]
sequoia coast · open for threads (3/5)
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Abortifacients there's in game precedent -- Potema tried to use herbs to abort Maegi and sibs. Not sure on contraceptives.
Lurker
0 Posts
Ooc — Noki, duh
Abortions happen quite often in nature, it was quite surprising when I found that out for a paper I wrote. Many species will abort for multiple reasons, lack of food, or a new male are some of the reasons. Elephants, primates, mice, dolphins, sharks, the list goes on and on. So yes, I can agree that abortions can happen in this game, it should be a possibility even if its through toxic plants (look at Rosencrantz's dilema/concern with Cupid's litter), or through stress, or sheer carelessness (fighting while pregnant could have a female lose the litter i suppose once its far enough along). 

As for a contraceptive, I don't think it's possible naturally. I know you're suggesting a fictional herb, but contraceptives are complicated since it's hormonal, so in my oppinion a contraceptive is not quite possible.

So all in all, in my oppinion; breeding while in heat should always be at risk of pregnancy, but character deciding to abort the litter should be possible
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Quote:As for a contraceptive, I don't think it's possible naturally. I know you're suggesting a fictional herb, but contraceptives are complicated since it's hormonal, so in my oppinion a contraceptive is not quite possible.

that's why i was gonna base the herb on sylphium, the idea is that it did somehow adjust hormones associated with pregnancy. wouldn't be extremely effective at all, but i thought it might be a fun addition. 

appreciate the input <3
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Siku once [intentionally] stressed her subordinate out to the point of aborting their litter??? If I'm remembering right? It was IC'ly agreed upon between the player and I, though there was one survivor if I'm remembering right! Stress would definitely do it.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
(March 12, 2020, 09:18 AM)Ying Wrote:
Quote:As for a contraceptive, I don't think it's possible naturally. I know you're suggesting a fictional herb, but contraceptives are complicated since it's hormonal, so in my oppinion a contraceptive is not quite possible.

that's why i was gonna base the herb on sylphium, the idea is that it did somehow adjust hormones associated with pregnancy. wouldn't be extremely effective at all, but i thought it might be a fun addition. 

appreciate the input <3
I think in the nature of semi-realism, you could feasibly say it worked if you wanted it to. Though it might not work for everyone if it was shared (i.e. contraceptive worked for Ying, she shared the info w someone, it does not work for them)... back in the day there were incredibly ineffective contraceptives out there marketed as such (the sponge, LOL). So while it not might be 100% effective, or even work period, ...it could be said and passed around that it did? LOL
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
thanks for the input, y'all
Sun Mote Copse
Master
5,016 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I think it'd be fine for a character to experiment with contraceptive methods, particularly ingesting various herbs to alter hormone levels. (I'm also thinking about super disgusting stuff, like using animal intestines as condoms -- maybe not that...) A lot of it would probably fail and/or have weird side effects but I think that seeing a toon research and experiment would be fascinating as well as reasonable.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
(March 12, 2020, 11:43 AM)Towhee Wrote: I think it'd be fine for a character to experiment with contraceptive methods, particularly ingesting various herbs to alter hormone levels. (I'm also thinking about super disgusting stuff, like using animal intestines as condoms -- maybe not that...) A lot of it would probably fail and/or have weird side effects but I think that seeing a toon research and experiment would be fascinating as well as reasonable.

Intestine condoms would probably require opposable thumbs, thank the good lord. Please stick to semi realism for at least that, y'all. *grimace*