Silvertip Mountain The ripple effect
uncurbed, unreined, and riderless
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Mason watched his Dad carefully for a response. Maybe he hadn’t explained it right? Did Dad think it was normal for his son to be bitten (ok, grazed)? Mason didn’t let his emotions show on his face. Instead he let this one slide. Hid Dad really wanted everything to be okay, and Mason would try to give him that. He doubted Zaria could bite her tongue in such a way, but it was Mason who had been hurt by the altercation. If Dad wanted to sweep things under the rug, Mason would let it go… this time.

“Nah… it doesn’t hurt much anymore. I’ve been cleaning it out properly.”
Was now the time to mention his trade? No… he needed more experience yet. His Dad knew he had been practising.

Mason’s eyes had drifted back the stream but now, when his Dad spoke in that serious “we’re not in Kansas anymore” voice, fire-eyes immediately uplifted to look at his Dad. The subject was a complete surprise and shock to him. He had waited for this day for his whole life.

But he was conflicted. On the one hand, he was pleased that he was being considered. After all, Zaria had simply become a leader through mateship – his Dad hadn’t specifically singled her out as a good leader, more as a love interest that got the title extemporaneously. Sorta like a Queen to the King, who had no real power but was still Queen and people had to show her respect.

But did that mean Mason was in the same boat. Maybe he was being considered simply because he was the Son? Wasn’t that what he had wanted though? He had wanted to be Alpha with Fitz, and he had thought he had a good chance of getting it. Now herealised the reason he had hedged his bets high were because of that exact fact – he was the Alpha’s firstborn son. But wouldn’t he rather want this because he actually deserved it.

But then if this was a decision, Mason presumed Zaria had had some sort of input. Perhaps she also agreed he would be a good Beta. She wasn’t the sort to just go along with Fitz. Was she willing to let bygones be bygones? Was it only Mason left petulantly holding the key to his own success, refusing to use it simply because of a childish vendetta?

Mason bit back the words ‘But I was supposed to be Alpha, with you.’ He needed to stop whining. Maybe he was, indeed, a grown man now. His childhood hurts didn’t seem at all important in the face of such a monumentous request. After all, Mason appeared to be thought of as Deputy if Fitz was ever not there. Who knew what Zariathought about that, but if he had to overthrow her to keep this a family pack he would.

He wasn’t too sure about fighting anyone though… he was quite young for that. Especially if it was someone like Uncle Sted. Would he be upset if Mason went above him?

“I…” Mason’s heart was in his mouth, as he thought about the gravity of what this meant. Was he ready? He didn’t feel ready, but the moment was here. If he declined, they couldn’t just keep the place open for him to become ready. He would have to strive to fill the space and grow with it.  Mason looked up into his father’s eyes. “Thank you for believing in me… you and Zaria. I would love to be Beta, but I want to make sure it’s what I really want... forever. I didn’t really expect you to say it, so soon. Do you mind if I take a week to think about it?” Mason’s voice was calm and considered; unusual for him. Hopefully this wouldn’t squander his chances.
Messages In This Thread
The ripple effect - by Mason - January 08, 2016, 06:39 AM
RE: The ripple effect - by FitzDutiful - January 08, 2016, 12:56 PM
RE: The ripple effect - by Mason - January 11, 2016, 06:31 AM
RE: The ripple effect - by FitzDutiful - January 13, 2016, 01:09 PM
RE: The ripple effect - by Mason - January 14, 2016, 03:19 AM
RE: The ripple effect - by FitzDutiful - January 17, 2016, 09:57 AM
RE: The ripple effect - by Mason - January 17, 2016, 03:39 PM
RE: The ripple effect - by FitzDutiful - January 19, 2016, 03:35 PM
RE: The ripple effect - by Mason - January 20, 2016, 07:10 AM
RE: The ripple effect - by FitzDutiful - January 27, 2016, 03:45 AM
RE: The ripple effect - by Mason - January 28, 2016, 07:21 AM