where'd you go
stones and bones
897 Posts
Ooc — Victoria

In a way, Ragnar was attempting to use something similar to reverse psychology upon Charon by giving him the opportunity to tell Ragnar what, if Charon were in Ragnar's situation, what the boy would do. By giving Charon the freedom to state what he thought Ragnar was doing wrong, Ragnar hoped would show the boy that Ragnar's paws were utterly and entirely bound. Ragnar was only a mortal, he did not harbor the power of the Gods, or even the Seer. This, combined with the fact that Ragnar could not simply shun the entirety of Stavanger Bay for a single wolf, no matter how sick it made him knowing that she was gone and that he had, ultimately, failed only served to make Ragnar's choice limited. No matter how much the Northman wished it otherwise. The Ostrega boy did not immediately respond, and the corners of the Viking's lips twitched ever so slightly, though no smirk nor mirthless smile formed. It was easy to be mad at another when you did not truly realize the circumstance that they were put in. “Would have me forsake the Bay, turn my back upon it in search of your sister? Would you have the Bay fall into ruin? Would you have Levi, Thistle, Gunnar and all the others starve while I abandon them to find your sister? This pack will not last long without me, Charon.” Not that Ragnar was trying to be particularly arrogant about his importance to Stavanger Bay — as it was for all he knew the pack might prosper more if he was out of the picture. Whether that was true or not did not matter. Ragnar was attempting to make a point to the child.

A grim expression stole across the scarred Scandinavian's face then, as he settled a single Caribbean blue eye upon Charon, though the Viking moved to stand face to face with the child. “If I thought that it would help, if Odinn promised me that it would help, I would give it,” Ragnar's words held no chicanery. He was not simply speaking it to tell the child what, perhaps, he wanted to hear. If Odinn declared that taking Ragnar's remaining eye would make any sort of difference then Ragnar would have gladly given it. However, the All-Father was sated, and the sacrifice, Ragnar believed, would work it's worth ...eventually.

Why do the Gods give with one hand, yet take with the other? This Ragnar had always wondered, but knew he would never receive the answer too.

“No child, you keep your eyes,” Ragnar spoke softly. “The Gods would not take from a child.” Make no mistake they would take children — for a split second Dagmar's still born litter flashed through the Jarl's mind, the first but as it would seem not the last that Ragnar had ever gotten angry with Odinn. “I know you are angry with me, Charon, and it is okay to be angry with me, but can I ask something of you? Do not be angry with Thistle. It will break her heart.” Not that Thistle was nearly as delicate as she had seemed to be to him when he had first met her. Though the shield-maiden with fire in her heart did not see it herself, Ragnar did not fail to see the difference: she had changed, and likely at Ragnar's influence. Still, he knew it would upset her if Charon and Levi blamed her for what, in truth, neither adult could control. Ragnar would take all of their blame and hatred because he could handle it.

Messages In This Thread
where'd you go - by Charon - November 24, 2014, 07:41 AM
RE: where'd you go - by Ragnar - November 24, 2014, 08:27 AM
RE: where'd you go - by Charon - November 24, 2014, 08:40 AM
RE: where'd you go - by Ragnar - November 27, 2014, 08:47 AM
RE: where'd you go - by Charon - November 27, 2014, 04:29 PM
RE: where'd you go - by Ragnar - December 04, 2014, 07:27 AM
RE: where'd you go - by Charon - December 05, 2014, 04:26 PM
RE: where'd you go - by Ragnar - December 07, 2014, 08:22 AM
RE: where'd you go - by Charon - December 09, 2014, 03:55 AM
RE: where'd you go - by Ragnar - December 11, 2014, 08:26 AM
RE: where'd you go - by Charon - December 12, 2014, 04:01 AM