Blacktail Deer Plateau I was left to my own devices (joining)
13 Posts
Ooc — Kim
So my parents were over earlier, and my dad put on the "Smooth Jazz" Music on Demand channel and I'm still listening...and it's currently playing a song by Jim Adkins, who is the singer/guitarist for Jimmy Eat World. Apparently he has a jazz album? Hahaha...it's good writing music, actually. :)

Rhodri allowed himself to be led away from the plateau, until the musk of pack wolves was much lighter. A myriad of other scents swirled around him, and once the Alpha slowed to a halt, the youth became more focused. Peregrine's joking words -- "I'm just your bigass shadow" -- hardly registered in the young hunter's mind as he assessed the situation.

He padded a few steps away from his companion, the tip of his tail twitching. After a moment, an intriguing smell caught his attention and he froze, one forepaw suspended in midair. He briefly lowered his snout to the ground, inhaling a few sharp breaths, and then he began to trot away from Peregrine. The yearling forced himself to forget that there were a pair of blue-green eyes watching his every move; he gave in to his instinct, hoping that his skills would be enough to impress the leader.

It was a hare that he was after, and though that wasn't a particularly exotic prey animal, it was something that he was familiar with. He was confident that he could bring down a rabbit without a hitch. Quietly, he moved further from Peregrine, his small paws making the slightest shuffling sound in the snow. His body was held close to the ground, his belly slung low and his nose just inches from the crystallized powder. The scent trail led him toward a small copse of wintry trees; behind the spindly branches, a snowcapped mountain loomed in the distance. Rhodri did not pay attention to the landscape, though one ear did turn back briefly toward the plateau resident still watching him.

There was a sudden flurry of motion ahead, and the boy's muscles tightened without a second thought. His haunches coiled beneath him and he dug into the powder with his hind feet, propelling him forward at a surprising pace. There was a flash of mousy grey fur, darting from the underbrush, and in his excitement Rhodri lunged too early. His teeth closed on the hare's hindquarters, though he was only rewarded with a clump of hair between his teeth. He followed his prey with dogged persistence, however, quickly changing his course with a flash of his long legs as the hare bolted across the open plain.

He bore down on it quickly, but this time he calculated his distance carefully. In his head, he counted his strides -- three, two, one -- and then he was successful. His jaws clamped the hare's left rump, disrupting its forward motion. He was able to get a firm enough grip that he could skid to a halt -- spraying snow all around -- and give a rough shake with his head, resulting in a broken spine for his quarry. It was limp within seconds, and the panting wolf turned back towards his audience, yellow eyes seeking the Alpha's approval. It hadn't been his neatest catch, but he hoped that his determination would be impressive.
Messages In This Thread
I was left to my own devices (joining) - by Rhodri - January 31, 2014, 11:34 AM
RE: I was left to my own devices (joining) - by Rhodri - February 01, 2014, 10:35 AM
RE: I was left to my own devices (joining) - by Rhodri - February 03, 2014, 12:58 PM
RE: I was left to my own devices (joining) - by Rhodri - February 03, 2014, 07:22 PM
RE: I was left to my own devices (joining) - by Rhodri - February 04, 2014, 08:59 PM
RE: I was left to my own devices (joining) - by Rhodri - February 06, 2014, 08:36 PM
RE: I was left to my own devices (joining) - by Rhodri - February 06, 2014, 10:02 PM
RE: I was left to my own devices (joining) - by Rhodri - February 10, 2014, 08:08 PM