Silvertip Mountain The best defense is attack
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Private 
For @Zaria, Mercenary trade thread

It was late in the evening, and Steady had decided to break from the borders to head in the direction of his den, taking his time in a slow stroll. He had to lift his paws from the fallen snow instead of just swaying them forward. But, Steady didn't much mind the snow, especially when it wasn't deep. It cooled his paws and was a welcomed change from the summer heat.

Steady was generally on guard and paying attention to his surroundings. But, feeling safe within the pack lands, and not having found any evidence of trespassers on his patrols, he allowed himself to relax and not worry about what big, bad things might be out there. Instead, he allowed himself to day dream what his life would be like if he had someone special to share it with.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.

Best thing you will ever see
532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Thank you!!

Zaria wasn't a fan of the snow at all but it couldn't stop her from doing the things she wanted to do. Her light frame trotted over the borders, often marking a tree or another close by object to rub her scent again, together their scents made the STM odor. Zaria kept herself on her toes but it wasn't needed tonight. It was all quiet around their borders, as she came across Steady's scent she was cold to the bone and decided to chase after him.

They had a spar before and the female could use some movement to get her limbs heated up. Her coat slightly wet from the snow that had been falling down. Higher-up the mountain the snow had been deeper. Her fur wasn't that well grown yet that it could keep out all the heat. She saw Steady before her and trotted forward. "Steady!," she called out and with a light footed trot she caught up with him.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
No problem! <3

Normally, he would have heard the crunch of the snow and been alarmed. But, with his head in the clouds, it didn't quite register. That was, until his name was called out from a voice behind him. He stopped, turning to see Zaria heading towards him. Instinctively, his head lowered and his ears folded on his head, his tail wagging between his back legs.

Zaria, he greeted. Anything wrong? he asked. She seemed to be trotting towards him quickly, and it put his brain back on alert. Had he overlooked something?
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~

532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Zaria was pleased at Steady's greeting. The dominant little female wagged her own high carried tail with clear pride. She shook her head and dropped her tail, their ranks had been established and it was a sign from the alpha female that Steady could have a neutral stance too. Zaria was still pretty primitive when it came to wolf and their languages of communication.

"Nothing wrong. I was wondering if you want another spar," she returned. The last time she had ended it rather quickly, still Zaria wanted to keep working on her warrior trade, specialization even. She might add Guardian too but for now she wanted to have Warrior at least. She was a warrior princess after all.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Steady understood the unspoken permission to get into a more neutral stance, and he took it, holding his head in a more comfortable position for his body. His tail raised a little from where it was, but didn't go above his back.

Zaria asked if he was up for another spar- well, of course he was. He always was. He hesitated, however, trying to catch a glimpse of her healing wound. It had been almost two months since the cougar attack, and Zaria's injury. Maybe... How's your shoulder? he asked. He knew Zaria to be a strong wolf, and she may not even appreciate Steady implying she was anything but capable of sparing. But, Steady had his own morals, and would not spar if he thought he might injure his Alpha more.

532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Such a sweet guy <3

Zaria looked at Steady, who in his turn looked at her shoulder. Zaria raised her chin. Of course she could fight! She would show him! Still his compassion was what made Steady a good wolf. Zaria could learn from his compassion that seem to run through Fitz's family. The feisty female would probably never gain it. "My shoulder is better," she pointed out. Her wound was closed and only her fur needed to grow back, and even if it was still a bit weaker. The alpha female was never going to admit that.

She moved into an offense stance, her tail up and her head lower so her neck was protected. She could use a friendly spar against Steady. She was growing weak. Plus the female missed fighting. Maybe Steady wasn't a good wolf to let out her frustration out on, because technically she didn't want to hurt him even though she sometimes lost herself in her fighting. Still it hadn't come to that yet.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Zaria assure him that her shoulder was better. His eyes narrowed, his expression mock-serious. Don't you dare lie to me, he said, his voice serious, but it should have been obvious he was playing. After a moment, his face broke into a smile.

Zaria got into her own stance, while Steady appeared to still consider a spar. He turned his head away a bit, tilting it a little, but his focus was on her even if his eyes weren't. Hmm, he hummed. I dunnooooo, he drawled out. A fraction of a second later, he was bounding towards her, his intent to try and pounce her back half, still weary about her shoulder even if it was healed.

532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Zaria smirked at Steady, her lips quirking up with a slight hint of added smugness. She could pull off the innocent look very swiftly, she hoped for Steady that he knew that. "You wouldn't even know when I am lying," she pointed out. She was very skilled in the act of deceiving. It was what partly got her into Silvertip in the first place, surely later she started to care about Fitz and all that. Not a lot of members knew about Zaria being a toxicologist, something she liked to kept private. Not much was technically known about the alpha female.

Zaria watched Steady, knowing an attack was coming. He wouldn't deny her. No one would deny her! With Steady's heavy bulk coming towards her she swiftly darted to the side just in time. In that aspect they were quite each other's opposites. With Steady being strong yet slow, and Zaria quick but less strong. Still that didn't mean that Zaria couldn't win from Steady. As she jumped to the side she instantly sped forward to jump up and grab his scruff. She was a dominant little thing, feisty too. Zaria liked sparring, it make her think of the fact that she wanted to spar with Fitz one day.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He couldn't hold back a chuckle. No, if she really wanted to make him believe what she was saying, he had no doubt she could, and Steady knew that without knowing her background. But, he also didn't really think she'd put herself in a situation to get hurt again, since an injured Alpha couldn't do much for the pack.

And, so, he would appease her in a spar. They each had their strengths and weaknesses, and Zaria was using her speed to come at him, going for his scruff. Steady used his size, rearing up on his back legs, but keeping his jaw tucked to his chest to protect his neck. His front legs flailed before him, trying to swing at Zaria. It wouldn't hurt her, but it might make her reevaluate this move. He didn't attempt a move on her, deciding to stay on the defensive side and let her come to him.

532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Why do I like their interactions always so much? :P

Zaria had to think quick with Steady rearing up. She thought about something that would probably be quite painful, she was tempted for 1/100th of a second. It shook through her head. She decided to skid under him as he was reared up on his hind legs. She was petite and quick. She instantly turned back trying to give his ankle a nip before rushing back.

She wasn't just forgetting of his scruff so she jumped up from his four o'clock to try and grab his scruff once again. It was a good place to aim when having a playful spar. It was always useful to aim to one's neck, but the scruff was loose skin that would hurt less than an actual bite in a muscle. How nice of her.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Because they're so fun!!

Steady's rear only served to let Zaria go on the offensive, nipping successfully at his back ankle. Steady stumbled backward when he lifted the ankle to try and get away, losing his balance and falling down to his side. He should have anticipated Zaria's move, but what was done was done, and now he needed to recover.

Before he could, however, he felt her weight on him almost immediately, going for his scruff. He squirmed this way and that, trying to prevent her from getting it. He opened his jaws and turned his head, going for one of her legs. Already being on the ground made it the right area to go for. But, he knew he needed to get back up on his feet quickly. Being big wouldn't help if he was lying down.

I'll let you decide if you grab his scruff or not- you have my permission to!

532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
They are super fun! :D

Zaria felt the victory coursing through her body when Steady fell the the ground because he was unbalanced. She instantly reached fro his scruff, trying to grab hold of it. But in her victory the young female was quite forgetting about Steady's mouth full of teeth. She had let her defense down during the attack. She let go when she felt his teeth and instantly moved her own mouth to his so her leg might be freed. She hoped the attack would work since having a mouth full of teeth directed towards someone's eyes was something that even she might step away from. Naturally Zaria was careful enough not to actually blind Steady during the playful fight.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
She was successful in grabbing his scruff, but he was still able to move enough to try and grab her front leg. As soon as his teeth touched her, she released him and went for his face. Instinct took over play mode, and Steady turned instantly submissive, his tail tucking between his back legs as his ears folded on his head and he flattened his body to the ground, moving his head to the side to avoid her teeth in his eyes.

While he knew this was play fighting, Zaria really had the upper paw here. They had a couple spars now, and Steady was getting the idea that his Alpha really knew what she was doing. He also understood that these play spars could turn real if they weren't careful, and he didn't want to push her. Going for the eyes, even in play, was a clear enough sign for him that he had lost, and he willingly submitted to the winner.

532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
omg poor Steady xD

Zaria didn't expect Steady to submit like that. She almost stumbled over his frame. Zaria stepped back and grinned in victory. It might have been a bit low to go for his eyes. She realized that, but she wasn't one to apologize. Still there seemed a lack of trust from Steady's side. Maybe being the alpha it wasn't a lack of trust but a lack of subordinate wanting to hurt the alpha.

Still that she went for his eyes meant that he had left a very vulnerable spot open. She signaled for Steady that she could stand again, after all this wasn't an aggressive spar. "Thank you for the spar," she spoke. She paused for a moment, feeling like she should apologize for going for his eyes. But on the other hand it might teach Steady that he could do those tricks also to her or even enemies. So Zaria was her stubborn self and wasn't apologizing.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Last from me. Love these threads!

When Zaria motioned for him to rise, he did, shaking his body free of tension, his tail wagging once more. There were no hard feelings here, and Steady didn't expect or need an apology from his leader. He grinned at her. I'll get you next time, he said playfully, figuring they could continue their impromptu spars. It was good practice for them and it kept their skills honed.

With a nod, Steady turned to go, figuring he might grab a snack before continuing his pack duties.

532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
me too!!! I will archive

Zaria was pleased to see that there were no hard feeling involved just like how an actual spar should go. The female gave a hint of a smile at his words. "I will look forward to it," she assured him. With that she left the male be. She might look for Fitz and tell him about her victory but also that his brother was working hard on his trades. Zaria could only appreciate that in a pack member.