Silvertip Mountain A rather blustery day
uncurbed, unreined, and riderless
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Private 
@FitzDutiful

Mason had things to tell his Papa. He had good news, and he had… neutral news. June had approached him, and she wanted to travel (like May-May) she said. Mason’s ears had flattened and he had at first refused to acknowledge she could do such a thing herself. He would need to go with her, and he could not leave his father to lead the pack alone whilst Zaria was so vulnerable. But now… with Neverwinter Forest established, he could not hold off his idea for any longer.

Mason bee-lined for FitzDutiful, ensuring his Dad was alone. He didn’t know what had come of his rolling on the scent markings yet, but he doubted Dad would begrudge him that one act of selfish anger. He spotted his Dad up head, pale grey fur bristling in a whirling wind that had descended without warning.

“You heard them?”  Mason’s mouth was set in a hard line as he gazed about the trees around them – they were in the main forest on the mountain, which was now one of their main sources of food. The boy had to raise his voice above the wind, and when he looked up, the clouds were thunderous. It was obvious who he meant – Neverwinter’s members. So close to their mountain, the claiming howl had reverberated on the very earth of Silvertip.

Mason turned to look straight at his Dad and got to the point. “June wants to go travelling. I think it’s a good idea, with all this going on.” Mason shouted, gesturing down in the general direction of the new pack. “But she needs to be safe, and I’m not leaving for long. Is there somewhere safe you know of?” As ever he waited for his Dad’s guidance; in this, as in all things.

He knew his father would not deny his only daughter this request, as Mason might have done under different circumstances. He had given her everything she wanted growing up, and he would give her it now, as long as she was safe. Mason’s heart twisted in his chest as he spoke of the subject – he knew that Joo leaving would take a part of him away to that safe place, for their bond could not be broken.

Tree branches whipped and wailed in the air around them, echoing the young Beta’s discontent.
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
"I did" came FitzDutiful's reply to the first words that Mason had said. "But we left them alone and it was bound to happen. Others wanted peace and maybe that was for the best." He let his words trail off. He wasn't happy about it and disliked the alpha male more than he had ever disliked another wolf before. It was close enough to call it hate.

"Gracious is going back to my father's pack." he told his son to reply to the safety question. "June can go with her, she knows enough to take care of herself and June might like seeing her grandparents and other family members." He added quietly, "they'll take care of her." He couldn't, not any more. He loved his daughter but she was a permanent child - or so it felt like - with more pups on the way he couldn't expend his energy looking after his adult daughter too. His father would be able to, he was still a saviour. Or rather, it was up to Chivalry now.

Still, if June was with Gracious, FitzDutiful would feel better about the whole thing; he hoped it would help Mason too.
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Mason simply shrugged. He felt his fighting spirit emerge whenever he thought of Neverwinter. He wanted them all to die in a raging forest fire. He had not felt this angry about anything before – even when Zaria had snubbed him. These were volatile feelings that he couldn’t deal with, so he buried them deep down, but not without his eyes flashing first amidst the stormy dim light.

For Mason, June came first. He didn’t know his father’s doubts on looking after her, but had he not had Mason dogging her every day he might have felt even more exhausted. Mason looked after June almost entirely. A frown settled on his features like a bird on a telephone wire, fluttering at first until it stilled there. He didn’t know whether he trusted Gracious enough, but he trusted June enough to know she would return if things were not going well to start with. She was not a vegetable, merely limited.

Okay.” Mason agreed – his voice would have been quiet except that he had to raise it above the noise of the thrashing trees. His acceptance was perhaps unanticipated even by him, but he could not cling to June when she wanted to go. Mason looked at his father, his heart twisting as he thought of days without June. “I’m happy about it, y’know Dad.” Mason stepped closer to his Dad and pressed his nose momentarily into his father’s cheek. “I can’t wait to be a big brother.” Mason smiled, and this  time it really reached his eyes. Their fur whipped about them and Mason looked around for shelter as he waited for a response. He hadn’t really discussed this properly with his Dad.
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
The topic of June faded and Mason changed the conversation to something else close to both of their hearts - the future children to be. FitzDutiful looked at his son, who could claim the title of only for a few weeks longer at most, and smiled; but there was something wary about the process.

"You are?" he asked, almost unsure before clarifying why he was so wary. "I'm ever so sorry. I meant to talk about it before it all happened but - you'll see - when a female is in heat your mind kind of goes crazy and you don't think. Puppies don't always happen but at that time it's more likely than ever."

He looked a little forlorn as FitzDutiful changed his gaze and looked out over their territory; "I really didn't want things to go this way, I'm not really sure either of us are ready to be parents. I think I had it easy raising you and June for you mostly raised each other. I'm sorry I've never been the father you both deserved."

FitzDutiful glanced back at Mason just for a second before returning his gaze out again. He wasn't even aware of the wind whipping around them despite the fact he had to shout. He should have been seeking shelter too but he just sat.
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
It appeared that Mason was going to have to put out fires all over his father and step-mother. Neither of them appeared to think this pregnancy was a very good thing. At least for his father it was more a lack of good timing. Zaria just seemed to want them out and rid of them. Mason listened to his Dad, and his face dropped a bit. Why was he the only one happy about this development?

That his father was being self-deprecating about being a Dad was even harder to bear. Mason felt like it was some fault of his own – was he not an enthralling enough child? He thought Fitz had done a pretty super job of being a Dad – still did. How could he think he wasn’t ready? Had Mason grown up so badly that Fitz thought he had done a bad job? A shadow fell on his mood.

Mason plumped himself down next to his Dad – shelter forgotten. “You’re a good Dad.” Mason shouted above the wind. On top of the responsibilities of being a Beta, he now worried that he would have to prop Zaria and FitzDutiful up in their role as parents. Of course he would be there for the puppies, he had always planned on that, but now that he had spoken to the family unit he realised he needed to be even more present.

“I don’t think Zaria is very ready. You are though Dad. You managed alone for so long. But this time you won’t be alone. Even if Zaria is not very helpful, I’ll be there the whole time. I promise.” And the young fluffy boy leaned across to nudge his Dad with his shoulder, and attempted a smile.
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
short post to finish this up.

His sons words helped. What he heard of them over the roaring wind. It helped to bring FitzDutiful back to his senses and to make him realise that he hadn't been paying attention to the world around him.

"thank you," he said, "Come, lets seek some shelter." he let his son lead the way to a place that they could talk more about the pups and things to come.