Chimera Fields αστροφεγγιά
79 Posts
Ooc —
Ripples spread outward from where Artemis's nose touched the pool's surface. They spread outward, fracturing the moon of white glass into shimmering shards. The ripples broke around the edges of the pool, and the water slowly became smooth once more. Eyes of sun watched the water, emotionlessly and with no light. She withdrew her muzzle, ripples extending outward once more. A drop of water cling to her maw, she paid no heed to it.

Artemis was lonely.

She missed the hunt, the wild feel of running with others at your sides. And though she had refused to admit it until now, the night felt to perfect not to share. Sure, she had met wolves, here and there, but male ones, and no other coyotes. She longed to spend time with her brethern again, to run at the fore of a pack ten strong. She lifted her head to the moon above and howled it was not the melidous howl of a wolf but more of a single chord, more raw. It was a call, one tinged with desperation.
39 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Jenabbi's flight from the mountains went on for several days, and ended abruptly when she heard a mournful racket to her left.

She was exhausted. There'd been precious little to eat, and she'd expended energy running from all manner of predators that suddenly felt they could take on an adult moose, in light of the famine. She was soft to their cause, but she wanted much more to live. So she had not stopped to be eaten, thank you very much. She'd trekked onward until her thin legs ached and her head spun in a fog of hunger and lethargy.

And then, the mournful racket. It jarred her first with it's loudness, then with it's nearness, and then with the awful sound of it. And then her heart got to aching as she imagined the pained, lonely eyes of whatever manner of creature had made the noise.

A coyote, her brain helpfully provided, and Jenabbi let out a little warble of pity.

"Little coyote," she called into the trees, her ears flicking as she sought out the other animal. "Do you need any help?"
79 Posts
Ooc —
To her surprise, it was not a fellow coyote that responded to her call, but a moose. She was female, with an elongated face and a brown pelt. Spindly legs supported her bulk, and eyes that sparked of intelligence looked out from her face. Artemis was hoping for a canine, but at least the moose was company. A small smile touched her maw, and she strode toward the moose. She halted a few meters away, dipping her head in greeting. Moose where wanders, perhaps this one had seen coyotes somewhere? Maybe she could direct Artemis to them. Hope blossomed in the lonely girls chest, and she looked up at the moose. "Greetings, Ma'am. I search for my kin. Coyote. I am lonely. You help?" 

She spoke haltingly, new to the comin tongue here. These words she had mastered, yet accent still clung to them. She echoed back some of the moose's words, trying to capture her pronunciation.
She he did not know that in this time of famine, wolves had taken to eating coyotes if they could be caught. She knew wolves thought little of her kind, but she held them in the same regard.
39 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Being a moose, Jenabbi did not understand much of loneliness. Solitude suited her just as well as companionship - sometimes a little bit better. Still, she couldn't help but feel compassion toward the polite little creature, and it was not as though she had anything better to do.

"Certainly," she replied, folding her legs underneath her and lowering herself to the coyote's height. "I don't know where any are right now, but I'll try my best to find them with you."

In her mind, she was already plotting different routes they might take. "Tell me, where do coyotes like to be? The woods? The plains? Waterways?" She frowned as one possibility and hoped this little coyote would not try and lead her back to the mountains. She would follow, of course - she'd already agreed to help - but she wouldn't like it.
79 Posts
Ooc —
Artemis had a respect for most creatures of the wild, and the moose was no exception. Especially this one, as she offered her help. She admitted she did not know the location of coyotes in the wild, but offered her assistance anyways. The bi-coloured girl looked at the other, who had shortened herself to her height. Artemis was grateful for this, and so she address the moose on her own level. "Sea. Thálassa. My pack, once live Sea."

Short mobile post!
39 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Short I'm-at-work post. I can sense some Thelma and Louise coming on.
Jenabbi hadn't expected that. When she'd asked about water, she'd been thinking more along the lines of rivers or swamps. But she'd never really spent much time near the ocean, and the idea beckoned to her in a curious sort of way. "The sea," she said happily, one ear flicking away a pesky fly. "What's your name, by the way? I'm Jenabbi. Nab will do."[/ooc]
79 Posts
Ooc —
Artemis was growing rather excited. She respected, even revered some from the cervidae family, though was not ashamed to take one's life when she and her pack were starving. Rarely had this happened, and the times it did were respectful moments were the animal was killed quickly and cleanly and her pack had sent keening howls into the night sky. Her old pack had been odd, perhaps, in this act, but it was their culture. For this reason a sense of respect and something like love for the creatures instilled her. And now one, a female none the less, would travel with her! To the sea!

Artemis bowed to the moose, yellow eyes dancing. "ισχυρός Jenabbi, my name Άρτεμις, Artemis. Great honour" Before she had been unsure of this moose, wondering if it was the same as the mighty ones that graced her homeland. But all cervidae were the same, and she must display respect to the one here.
39 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
"Artemis," the cow mused, gazing thoughtfully at the younger creature. It was a lofty title, but it suited the compact little canine. "You honor the name. I see the moonlight in your eyes," she offered after a moment, hoping the other woman would understand the compliment. Her accent was thick and strong, and she clearly had trouble with the language. "Where do you come from, Artemis? What brought you to this fallow land?"

Jenabbi settled into a more comfortable position, fully prepared to get to know her new companion. They should get a move on before too long, but she liked to know a bit about anyone who travelled with her.
79 Posts
Ooc —
Her eyes widened at the compliment, though a few words escaped her. To be completemented by such a creature...she dipped her head a moment further. She was proud to know that she bore her name well, it was one she loved dearly. She had heard the legends, of the coyote of moon and hunt. "Many thanks, Jenabbi." she said sincerely. She asked of her history, and after a pase to collect her words, replied evenly. "I come from North, by Ocean sand. My pack, Greek, and big...culture. Much love the Hunt, sky, wild. My pack, big storm come, destroy. I do not know where is pack. I am alone."
39 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Jenabbi was moved by the brimming sorrow in her bright yellow eyes. She streteched out her long neck to sweep her tongue over the coyote's forehead. "Poor soul. I'll keep you company - at least until we can find you some of your own kind." With a heavy sigh, the moose pushed herself upright, more determined than ever to help her new friend. Gone was her weariness from moments before - she was ready to set off toward the ocean.

"We'll head to the Barrow Fields, and from there to Blackbeak Bluff. The sand and the sea is just beyond that," she told the coyote, shaking the dirt out of her pelt. "Is that alright?"
79 Posts
Ooc —
Artemis was soothed by the moose's touch, and her emotions became less like a swiring kaleidoscope of feelings. She became still as the mose outlines the plan they would follow, and her heart grew with hope. Perhaps, thing where not as hopeless as they had seemed. Maybe, there was a chance she could find her brethern again, and even her family! She doubted the latter, but a tiny part of her still held onto hope that it would happen. She nodded her consent to the idea, tail wagging. "Yes, Jenabbi, that good, very good. Thank you!" Though she did not recognize the places the moose spoke of, she trusted her word.