Hushed Willows you can smell crazy on him
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Private 
backdated a bit

Evening fell without incident and things were peacful among the willows.  The air was slowly starting to cool as the days grew shorter and Banner was incredibly thankful for the season finally turning.  The heat and humidity of summer wasn't her thing.  But this?  Her nose lifted to take in the crisp air and she sighed happily on the exhale.  This she could handle.

As usual the Beta had no particular destination in mind for her nighttime wanderings, though she found herself drifting in the direction of her tree instead of strolling around the borders.  As was the case over the last week or so, @Stark had been on her mind almost constantly.  It was difficult for her to find the right balance between being a caring sister and being overbearing, so her awkwardness came out in full force if she hovered over him like a mother hen for too long.  She'd been busy with other things in the Keep all day and as such hadn't seen him.  Quickening her pace, Banner decided to check things out at her tree before retiring to The Crook for the evening.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
to mend all the broken hearts
of all my wrecked-up friends
A cheap trick and a cheesy one-liner
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
His thoughts frequented back to the stranger at the borders. Thought sure, Warbone had founded the Keep he had not kept it - be it through no fault of his own or not. Stark didn't care - the Keep was his and he had fought to keep it together. He could have let it all fall apart but he didn't want to do that and so he had stayed and it was good that he had. The Alpha made his way through the packlands, thinking of what he needed to accomplish. Banner needed to know first, and together, they would figure out where to go from there. 

He'd made his way to her willow tree in the hopes that he'd catch her there but it didn't look like he was lucky. He was just about to head for the borders to reinforce them again when he caught Banner's scent. He let out the smallest whine and headed towards her, so relieved to see her fluffy form. "B," He murmured, nuzzling against her for a moment.  
i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
[Image: gamekeeper.gif] 3/5
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Her brows furrowed when a familiar whine reached her.  Stark?  Banner's bright green eyes snapped to the side where she met with what looked like a troubled Alpha male.  Stark?  Her greeting was a strange question echoing her thought from a second before.  His affection was, as always, welcome and she returned it in kind by pressing her cold nose against his shoulder.

A thousand questions bubbled up in her, most of them a variation on "are you okay"?, but she held them back.  He was still in mourning, still a father figure to a young boy who had a deceased mother, and still had a pack to lead.  The weight of the world seemed to perpetually be bearing down on his strong shoulders.  How was your day? she asked in her low voice.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
For a moment Stark just stayed there, basking in the affections between the two. He pulled his head back, posture still relaxed with Banner. He had nothing to worry about with her. He gave a rough chuckle when Banner asked how his day was, thinking instantly to the one eyed male that had approached on the pack's borders. "Just keeps getting better and better." He muttered glumly. 

"We need to watch when we're outside the pack." He explained softly. They'd never had a threat come to their door before but now it had promised to be a continuous presence around the pack's borders and outside of them. "The pack's first Alpha came to the borders and basically tried to demand I share my rank with him." Stark said bluntly. No use in sugarcoating anything. "He claimed I'd be challenged every time I left the packlands."
i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
One brow raised, the short Beta frowned.  Uh-oh.  His glum muttering wasn't promising and it caused her to phsically brace herself for whatever he had to say.  Body posture stiff, her dark brown ears cupped forward.

Whatever she had been expecting to come out of his mouth, it certainly wasn't thatWhat!? she exclaimed, her eyes narrowing to slits.  He's got a lot of nerve coming to the borders and saying something like that - son of a.. she trailed off, her breathing getting a heavier.  Banner swalled hard and focused her attention back to Stark.  As long as she could stay focused on something it was all.. well, she could handle it.  What does he look like?  Was anyone with him?  Name didn't matter.  It'd come back to her later when she had time to stew over everything in private.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Stark drew in a deep breath as the news wracked his sister. He wanted to say a million things - but for then, he couldn't. He just waited. He let her process. He let her do her thing. When she asked questions Stark frowned. "He was alone. Said his sister attacked him and he'd lost his memory - and an eye - when he got his memory back he came back for his pack." Stark huffed. "His name is Warbone. Something he's overly proud of." The dark Alpha's hackles were up a bit, his feathers ruffled in a way he didn't let Warbone see earlier. 

"Tambourine was with me when he came to the borders; the guy is out of his mind if he thinks I'd let anyone I didn't trust lead the Keep." It didn't matter where they were though. If he wanted to live and die by the willows, let him. Stark cared about his wolves. They'd find a better land somewhere else if it came down to it, but, he didn't care in the slightest bit about the deranged ravings of a had-been leader. 
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Teeth grinding, she listened while Stark described him.  Warbone.  Ah, right.  That name did ring a bell.  Lost an eye an his memory.  Lovely.  Everyone had a story.  Banner took a long moment to exhale through her nose and for once she didn't care how loud it was.  Her brother had seen her in a much worse state and she knew she wasn't in judgemental company.

Her bright green eyes snapped back to meet his own blue.  Tambourine? she questioned flatly.  He threatened you in front of Tambourine? she repeated, her eyes now wide in disbelief.  What the hell would possess any man to threaten a child's father figure in front of said child?  He sounds like he's out of his goddamned mind, she murmured harshly.  Choking back a growl, slicked her ears back against her head.  So.. if you leave the willows he attacks?  You or the pack..?
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Stark wasn't going to try and reign her in right then. Hell, he might even join her. Stark licked his lips. watching her for a moment as she reacted to what Stark had said to her. "Tam got pretty ruffled," Stark admitted. "He was upset with what Warbone was saying - I tried to be diplomatic. Told him if he proved his worth in the pack I'd consider it. Hell. Whatever the best is for the Keep that's my priority." He admitted. Would he just leave his rank behind? No. Definitely not. But if the best for the pack's sake came down to Warbone he would. 

"It's probably just me." Stark said and shrugged. He wasn't that concerned about it - call it a stubborn sense of pride perhaps, but, he truly didn't care. "He's got some ideal that just because he founded the pack he's got some right to it. He wasn't even here an entire moon's cycle." Stark said bitterly. 
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Her worry for Tambourine wasn't eased with Stark's admission, but he didn't say anything further and so she trusted that the boy was okay.  However, for her brother to even consider Warbone's proposition was, in her opinion, outrageous.  And what if you say no? she spat out, her ire not directed at him but at the looming threat.  Having an old Alpha strong arm his way back into the pack left a sour taste in her mouth and Banner wasn't sure if she'd be able to handle that.

He can't just come back and claim the pack, she ranted, moving to pace back and forth in front of her much calmer brother.  If he had allies he would have brought them as a show of strength.  Is he really so arrogant to think that he can come strolling back after several months of inexplicable absence and just continue business as usual?
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
"I told him the only terms I'd ever even entertain the notion on. He refused." Stark said with a shrug. "Said he couldn't be a subordinate. I pointed out that all places in the pack were earned." Stark was trying to recount the conversation as close as accurately as he could but it was hard to do so - his mind was fairly clouded from his attempts at sleeping. "I don't know if he even had time to make any allies." He admitted, thinking of the few wolves he'd met lately he'd consider friends. 

He didn't think he was a lost cause, even if he was struggling, but maybe Banner was the better option to lead while he got himself under control. Or maybe sharing the Alpha title was more appropriate since they were the only two who had really stood up for the Keep and made sure it made it through the rougher weather that they'd been through. "You're the only one I'd ever share the pack with." The only one that he felt he could ever trust with something so important to him.
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
She nodded fervently in agreement.  Good, she ground out, still seething a bit at Warbone's arrogance.  I could never follow a man who demanded respect - it must be earned.  Her statement had an air of finality about it - it was something Banner had strong feelings about.  Her pacing continued for a few moments more before she'd burned off just enough energy to keep from completely losing it.  I doubt a wolf like that could make alliances quickly.

Movement ceasing, she gave Stark a curious look.  He would share he pack with her?  Banner blinked as a bewildered expression appeared on her dark brown features.  I.. I don't have the head for that, she sputtered.  Hell, no leadership position had never been in her mind.  She helped her brother out in any way she could because she loved him.  Never did she imagine that he'd want her as a Beta.  You know I'll do anything for you.  It was a reminder that he didn't need, but she wanted to remind him in her most serious voice.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Stark watched her with nothing but affection in his eyes, even for all her flaws and all her anger she was his and there was nothing more precious to him than his sister. She accepted him without question, no matter what that meant, and she had not only supported Stark in his time of need but she had opened herself up to Buchanan too. She had a mate, a family all her own, and while Stark didn't fear Warbone he knew that should something horrible happen to him she would be tended to. 

Stark smiled gently as she said she'd do anything for him and shook his head. "B, this is for you - not me." He said gently. "If of course Buchanan can share you with me," He teased - just trying to lighten the mood up. "You've been good as Beta, I know we'd do just as good sharing the rank together." He said with a graceful shrug and slight cant of his head. 
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
A wary look was her first response.  For her?  Banner chewed on the inside of her cheek.  As the Beta to his Alpha, she'd certainly grown into the role.  One of her first orders of business was to branch out a little and make introductions to surrounding packs.  Her intent had been to visit their closer neighbors, but Octavia's reappearance and subsequent death meant that she hadn't made it far.  Aside from a chance encounter here and there her quest hadn't gained much traction.  Yet.

This new threat, though, meant she'd have to redouble her efforts.  Was Stark really offering for her to lead at his side?  She frowned and sighed despite her dear brother's quip about Buchanan.  It can't be just the two of us forever, she grumbled.  With all the pups in the pack..  The Keep's growth, while wonderful, meant more mouths to feed, more issues to deal with.

If.. if you think I can do it..  His faith in her would have to be enough until she could find some of her own.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Banner didn't seem to really trust herself, or perhaps the mantle was so large it was overwhelming. For Stark he had drug his feet for as long as he could, holding onto some hope that things would magically fix themselves before he had a chance to do so. They hadn't, so he'd done what he had to. With Banner she had supported him and they had managed things well, he thought. Stark nodded as she said it couldn't just be them forever. "I think Harlyn is about the only one I'd trust." He admitted freely. "I haven't seen Rhodey in forever and that's got me on edge." He admitted with a sigh. 

"I'm not gonna force you, Banner - but. Just...know that if you want it, it's yours." He offered with a small smile. Anything that might make her happy he'd want to do, honestly. 
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Banner turned to face him straight on, her head lifting as she did so.  Could she do it?  Could she step up and be even half the Alpha her brother already was?  She shifted her weight between both front paws as she thought about it.  Truthfully it didn't mean much change in her day to day activities.  Strolling along the borders, getting to know other wovles both inside the pack and out, and making whatever decisions needed to be made with Stark - these were all things she'd been doing.  And hell, his confidence in her was never an empty gesture.  The blue-eyed man didn't give out compliments just for the hell of it.

He moved on to mention Harlyn and she nodded her agreement.  Banner didn't know the former Alpha well, but she'd make it a point to chat with the other woman.  As for Rhodes, she didn't have anything to say about his presence (or lack thereof).  Some wolves had the tendancy to come and go, but he'd been around for a while now.  The disappearance was curious, but they couldn't afford to deal with it right now.

Which brought her back to the thoughts whirling around in her mind.  Could she do it?  Should she?  Sucking in a breath, Banner locked gazes with her brother.  I'm ready to step up, she said, her tone even.  Stark needed her and so did the pack.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
[Image: KO0kI9.png] 
- a surprise Banner over her nice new rank!

Stark could only offer her a little smile as she finally settled and made her choice. He knew she'd be what the pack needed - she had already managed him so well, and she'd done so much for the Keep. "So..Alpha - first order of business?" He asked with a small grin. He could relax the slightest bit, feeling more at ease with his sister ruling the roost next to him. He wanted things to change. He wanted to make things better - but he struggled with that idea. 

"I want to make things better." He admitted somewhat breathlessly. "We need a healer. Maybe we should up our recruiting efforts since winter's coming." It was something that seemed like the right course of action anyways. 
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
omg! <3  oh you, always with the surprises :D  thank youuuu!

also, wrap up here?

Exhaling loudly, Banner wrinkled her nose up and shot her brother a faux-annoyed look.  Siblings they would always be and some things.. well, they'd never change.  As far as first orders of business went, she didn't have any, so she felt relieved when he offered up a suggestion of his own.  A healer - yes, that'd be a fine addition to their ranks.  Do you think anyone is interested in learning the trade? she asked, a frown passing across her maw briefly.  Learning the trade.. from who?

Ah, they'd worry about it later.

You know how some wolves come and go.  Recruiting is a good idea.  I'm also going to continue with some outreach to other packs, she said with a shrug.  But for now.. let's go share the news.  With Tam?  And Buchanan, she added with a smirk.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
"Lets go tell the boys," Stark nodded with a smile. He felt a little more settled, a little more grounded, and that was a good thing. Banner always had that affect on him, as astounding to her as it was, and Stark appreciated everything that his sister did for him. "What's the next pack you're thinking of visiting?" He asked curiously. "I'd like to go with you, if you don't mind my company." He offered as they made their way to find the boys - the Crook his first choice of where they might be waiting. 

It would mean some chances to the pack he felt, things that would be good and keep them prepared. As they walked, they fell into a comfortable silence and he relaxed more at her side. It was a good thing for his stress level, and he'd actually get some fitful rest thanks to her assistance.