Two Rivers Isle Moving On Up
A Journey Only Just Begun
209 Posts
Ooc — MEEBEE
Away
All Welcome 
Having just passed his six month mark of life (twenty seven weeks, specifically), Vassago was very near looking like an adult. Sure, he wasn't quite as tall as he'd end up, and the Juvenile wasn't anywhere close to the bulk and muscle he'd earn in the next six months of his life, but he got closer every day -- his winter pelt had developed nicely so far, giving him a fluff that he hadn't before. As he strode along the borders of the Isle today, the chestnut boy wished for the millionth time he could cross it. 

Other things also became more prevalent -- his balance, something he was sure would never improved, had gotten even better. He'd learned to hunt, and though it wasn't a skill he felt compelled to develop further than the basics, it was nice to not have to rely on his parents so much. Ever since his literal run-down with Malice, he'd been keeping a distance from almost everybody, preferring to keep quiet and brood more: often it was to think more about any plans he had in putting The Brotherhood in their place.... Since Aeronwyn had come back hurt by the one named Nemesis, he'd been placent, even depressed, following his family like a drone or not bothering to get up from the den. He felt closer to his Aunt some days than his own family, but even now he felt disconnected from everyone -- the boy felt as if he stuck out like a sore paw, like he didn't belong, like something was.... Wrong. Everyone always seemed so mad at him, and that was just when he was actually along for things -- what did people say about him when he wasn't there?
Perhaps it was just age? There was no experience to tell him what was wrong: all he wanted to do was protect them, to be the best Mercenary he could be.... Why was that so bad? He just couldn't understand why Malice and Burke lashed out each time he asked of the dark wolves.... 

Instead of allowing equally dark thoughts to flood his mind, Vass stalked along the side of the river his family ruled. He hadn't been taught how to cross it, unfortunatley -- each time he saw the rushing water, the boy regretted running from the white bear.... "Tupi" may very well have taught him how to traverse the waters as his parents did. 

In the next moment, however, hot anger flashed through him, and his yellow eyes darted around him to be sure that nobody was around. Nobody; good. Fur prickling in fear, Vass turned to the river, moving downstream until he knew he was very close to the floodlands -- if he couldn't get out, he could at least survive and dry himself off down there. 

Lunging, Vassago splashed into the water, and his first reaction was that of cold -- he didn't realize just how cold the river would be, really, despite the snow on the earth -- and immediatley he knew that Winter was now his least favorite season. Instinctually, his four legs paddled and thrashed, completely out of rhythm and causing his chin to dip under quite a few times as he was washed with the current. Spluttering with a whine, the Lordling allowed plan B to take effect, chosing only to keep above water until, finally he crept over to the bank. Hooking is awkwardly large paws onto firm ground and scrabbling with his hindlegs to push himself out, Vass flopped to the opposite side of the Isle and panted harshly for a full minute. 

Once the adrenaline began to fade, he felt the bitter cold -- this is when the copper-toned boy sat up and set to licking his pelt. It's what Burke had done for Pyro when he fell in the river, and Vassago was smart enough to know that getting so wet in the cold was not a good idea. Nervousness of getting caught, however, drove the boy to stand after he was no longer sopping wet-- there was so much to explore! With one glance back at Arthendal, silently promising to return before dark, Vassago struck out into the Hinterlands with a grin on his face and his little stump wagging. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just before the sun dipped below the horizon, Vassago plodded carefully towards the scent of his home -- the day had been eventful and fun, and though Vass was loathe to go home, he knew already the world of hurt that would likely befall him upon his return. This angered the boy, for many reasons: he was six months old, able to hunt and patrol, and smart enough to know now when danger simply wasn't worth a risk -- losing his tail taught that well.

At first, when he reached the far bank, Vassago sat with a thump on the far bank and kept silent -- if only he could cross on his own back over, he could just lie and say he'd been sleeping in a fox den somewhere most of the day. Unfortunatley, he couldn't, and eventually loosed a call for @Aeronwyn to come save him, but knew it was likely for @Malice, @Burke, and @Pyro to show up at any time. 

Since nobody joined originally, I've brought this to currrent date (December 12th); for the sake of not having this and a return, this is set to sunset and I'm going to be vague about what he did. He left somewhere in the late morning. :3 
Follow The Tracks I Lost Long Ago

1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Burke had noticed the faint scent of Vassago at the border and his scent not continuing. He knew that his son might have crossed the waterline. He could never be too sure. The male looked out to the other side and wanted to check if his scent was there. A sense of dread filled his body. Their son clearly was too stubborn to listen. Burke decided that parenthood was not a thing for him to ever do again. He felt like he failed each time. The sun was close to setting.

Burke headed into the cold river and let out a howl for his son. It didn't seem to get any response. He went across the river and track his scent, but him going through the water washed off all sign of the pup and his scent. Burke had no option than to return through the cold water and wait for their son to return. He sat the edge and frowned. Burke was worried about Vassago. Perhaps he was off to the brotherhood for real.

Eventually Burke decided to go back to Malice and tell her about their son possibly having left their pack lands. A grave thought. The male stayed on alert. The moment Vassago did howl, not for them but Areonwyn Burke frowned and instantly ran to the border. Glad that Vassago returned. The tank of a male was seen running from the tree line making a big jump into the river and landing in it with a big splash before swimming to Vassago's side. Without even shaking himself out the father walked to his son, looking clearly annoyed and relieved at the same time. "Where have you been," he let out.
[Image: 141skqx.png]
Guardian, Mentor and Therapist
A Journey Only Just Begun
209 Posts
Ooc — MEEBEE
Away
It was not first his mentor that showed up, but some part of him was glad it wasn't mother even if he knew she was bound to show up soon. Burke's massive form flung from the Isle and into the water with a splash -- Vassago watched carefully the neat, powerful strokes that he'd lacked in crossing himself -- and for perhaps the first true time in his life, Vassago Rochester bowed underneath his Fathers gaze, stump pressed against his butt as if it were tucking, ears slicking back and nose tipping down. 

"I jus' went to explore, Dad, I promise. I wasn't looking for The Brotherhood, I didn't even go all that far."

His yellow eyes stared, wide-rimmed, up at his father -- maybe now was his time to speak his mind. After all, Burke had yelled at him, but Malice was vicious and hurtful in a way his dad just couldn't be.... Or hadn't been.

"Dad, why does everyone love Pyro more than me? Why does he get to cross the river and get called places, but I'm always yelled at and left alone?

His words lacked the hate and anger he'd been feeling recently, but were more pleading and sad than Vass had ever felt before: didn't his parents love him?
Follow The Tracks I Lost Long Ago

1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Burke stood before Vassago and looked down at him with his pale eyes. The pup could say all he want that he did not go to find the brotherhood but that was what they were thinking he had been doing. He had the idea that he would never see his son again. Luckily he was smart enough to return home. "We thought you did," he spoke to him. "We want to keep you safe, Vassago," he spoke to him. The pup had no idea what they went through to keep him and his brother safe. Maybe if he would tell his son he might have some more respect for their wishes.

Burke kept his pale eyes on the teenager while he said those heartbreaking words. Though Burke's cool and collected heart didn't break. In all honestly it was because Burke never expected Pyro to live. Vassago was suppose to be the smart one, the fighter. Though perhaps he did have that foolish recklessness from Burke himself. "We do not love Pyro more that you. Correction. I do not love Pyro more than you. I cannot speak for Malice but I am pretty sure she loves you both equally. She is your mother. I at least do," he spoke to his son. "I yelled at Pyro enough times, and got mad at him. I had to save his sorry ass more often than yours,"he pointed out. "Still I love you both equally as my sons and I'd like to keep you safe. We yell at you because we care. We want you to understand. You can be quite stubborn you know," he pointed out.

Burke let out a snort. "But that doesn't mean I appreciate you running off like that. Do you know how old I am? What if you had gone out there? I those wolves see me it means my death Vassago. I prefer not dying soon to safe your live once more from their clutches," he explained, calmly so.
[Image: 141skqx.png]
Guardian, Mentor and Therapist