Swiftcurrent Creek Wind Beneath Wings
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
She listened, her ear perpetually turned to her blind flank. Nightingale made sure that she was unseen, and hopefully her ears won't fail where her eyesight so obviously had.

She smiled up at the sky, seeing a bird flitting through the trees above her. She sighed, imagining she were that bird, flying gracefully through the trees.

The half-blind pup suddenly jumped. It wasn't any normal jump though, this was a jump that could impress the flying things, even for wolves older than her. She had no doubt that when she grew older, she'd be a spectacular jumper.

But for now, the handicapped juvenile decided to settle for small jumps, ones just big enough to clear the shoulders of Mackenzie Valley Wolves. She jumped in delight, catching stray leaves in the wind(or at least tried to. She always seemed slightly off to the left, which she blames for the lack of her right vision.) and innocently forgetting to check for any passerby.
Tempt the devil with an Angel's grace.
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace was out walking as he was prone to do on nice days when he came across a small pup jumping and frolicking and he smiled softly at her. He stepped into view and chuffed gently but kept his distance so he did not scare her.

"Hello little one I am Jace you are new to the pack yes? He kept himself neutral position and he tried to shrink himself further down so as to not startle or scare her, as he was impressively larger than her. She was very small, her eyes were a pretty green though one was slightly discolored he wondered at it, but chose not to comment on it.
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
Nightingale froze in mid-jump as a voice wandered into her small space. She squealed and came crashing to earth, more startled than hurt.

After a seconds hesitation, she slowly picked herself up. She glanced at the newcomer with her good eye warily, angling her head in a rather bird-like fashion. After a moment of avoiding eye contact, she meekly nodded and became interested in the dirt under her paws.
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
He stepped a little closer but did not crowd her and he spoke even quieter as he lay down on his belly to be smaller. "it's okay I'm sorry that I startled you. What is your name? Are you finding your way around well? He then lay in wait with his head on his paws looking at her to see if she would answer.

She was certainly a timid thing and he felt exceptionally bad for frightening her. He tilted his head and gave her a small smile to try and get her to open up more.
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
Nightshade glanced back at the wolf. His words were comforting, yet she still felt a little awkward around him, and her tail wagged slightly in embarrassment. She looked back down, muttering her name shyly, it being barely audible.

"I'm... I'm Nightingale..."
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace smiled as she shyly opened up with her name at least, that was one positive. "Nightingale. That's a really pretty name, is it because you sing? My sister's name was Vienna Songbird and she has sung since the day she was born. He smiled at her again and tilted his head as she wagged her tail.

"So nightingale I saw you jumping after the butterflies. Were you trying to catch one? I can try and catch one for you if you like?
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
Nightingale smiled sheepishly. "I sing a little bit..."

Her ears perked up a little as the male said he could catch butterflies. She looked at him in awe. "You can catch butterflies?"
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace offered her another smile "I think singing is wonderful. You'll have to sing for me sometime Nightingale I miss my sister singing for me.

Jace chuckled "I can try and catch them. All you do is this. He moved his head slightly and grabbed a flower he walked to stand under the butterflies and he bent his head and stood silently. Then you stand here real still and see if they come to you. Then one of the butterflies alighted down on his flower and he smiled but did not move as he did not want to startle it and make it fly away.
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
Nightingale stared. After swallowing, she lowered herself to a crawl, the small figure almost silent as she got closer and closer to the winged creature. When she was closed enough, she studied it as if she were studying something extremely important, angling her face to where only her left eye, her good eye, could see it. After a few seconds, the butterfly flew off, eager to feed on another flower's nectar.

She watched the butterfly leave and turned back towards the older wolf, curiosity getting the better of her. "Why can't you listen to your sister now? Vienna sounds like such a pretty name, and she sounds like a very nice wolf, too. I would love to meet her sometime."

The young pup was cautious when she asked this. She didn't wish to bring back unwanted memories to Jace, after he had been so nice to her. Which is saying quite a bit. Most wolves here thought she was just another mouth to feed. A weakling who would never be able to hunt or fish. She hated it. She hated their pity parties. She was strong... Just in different ways.

Her mind went back to the first day, when Fox only gave her a week to start pulling her own weight, or else, as the alpha had stated it, be put out of her misery. The thought terrified her, but she pushed the ominous words to the back of her mind and focused on Jace, listening quietly.
Loyal to the death
452 Posts
Ooc —
Ferdie Von Pelt frowned when he couldn't see his charge anywhere she needed to eat and she needed to be able to show Fox her strength's just jumping around wasn't going to help her here. Though from a distance her jumping was impressive.

Ferdie Von Pelt trotted up to the pair and set down a fat rabbit, Completely interrupting the conversation.

He stared at the young pup "Eat!" He commanded firmly, warranting no discussion from the young pup, there would be time from fun later right now he couldn't bare the thought of having to kill her in 6 more days under Foxs command.

He turned his attention to Jace once he was satisfied with her eating, Give Jace no chance to answer her last question. "Jace, might you help me with her. Can you teach her to fish. Will a half blind wolf be able to fish? She needs to have a definable useful skill to show our Alpha in less then a week" Ferdie was almost pleading with the young brute for his help.

Jace was sure to understand there was something higher at stake here then just teaching a wolf to fish.
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
I may have to make his sister an adoptable.

Jace smiled at her again and nodded his head then a small frown replaced his smile at her questions, but not because he was upset at her curiosity on the contrary he was glad she was speaking. It was merely the thought that his sister was not around that made him sad. "I left her behind when I left my homeland. You see Nightingale I am on a hunt for a last name. It is a tradition for the males in my father's family to go on a journey to find their way in life and gain a last name. For instance my father is Wildheart Shadowsinger he gained the last name of Shadowsinger because he howls beautiful and he is so black he blends in with the shadows. Albeit that wasn't entirely true he did not wish to upset the little one with talk of the violence his father had done, even though he had no choice.

Jace backed up having been so intent upon the little wolf in front of him he had not noticed Ferdie coming upon him and her. He frowned at the manner with which Ferdie spoke, but he was also concerned there was an air of desperation around him. He blinked and then answered his questions "Of course I can teach her to fish she only needs one good eye and strong paws and jaws. When would you like me to start Ferdie? Nightingale? He would question Ferdie later about the desperation creeping in his voice.
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
Nightingale bounced on the rabbit and tore into it, her spirits high when Ferdie mentioned fishing. Though she knew why he had done so, her eagerness to learn was not because it was a lifeline, but because it was something new and different. After getting a little ways into it, she looked up at Jace excitedly when he agreed. She wagged her tail and looked back at Ferdie, waiting for his decision, the question How about now? shining in her eyes.
Loyal to the death
452 Posts
Ooc —
"Right now" Ferdie said somberly leading the way to the waters edge. He looked over his shoulder to Jace "I have a week to get her healthy and useful, else wise Fox will have me end her suffering" The hairs on the back of his neck crawled "so it's important in alot of ways"

Ferdie knew that Jace now above ALL others understood why this was not a task that Ferdie could carryout without destroying himself. The brute stood at the waters edge and turned to face the young pup Do only as Jace instructs AND don't jump ahead of him, he's a good teacher,

Ferdie winked at Jace, that was an inside joke Nightingale was not privy too. Ferdie realized then he was becoming rather fond of Jace. He wondered if there would be time to get this little one to the fishing contest but first she had to learn, and learn well. That was a lot of burden to put on a half grown pup
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace's eyes got wide how could another kill an innocent! It went against all he had been taught and had learned. It made him extremely uncomfortable just the thought of and if it made him uncomfortable it probably made Ferdie just about sick. He knew how important this was, no one needed to tell him twice. he strode forward with purpose his blue eyes looking solemnly at both of them. He stepped into the water softly standing still for a minute then he looked back to Nightingale.

Jace winked back and then began. "Okay little one listen and listen good. When you are fishing it is important to remember that you don't want to go after the fish but actually their shadows. The light on the water plays tricks on your eyes and in your case it maybe worse so it's important to go after the shadows like this. He looked down and with a quick movement of his paw in front of the fish and at it's shadow he threw one up on the ground. "Okay Nightingale bite it so it dies quicker. He hoped she would listen and be able to do that.
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
Nightingale pounced onto the fish and bit it in a tender spot-the gills. Remaining on top until the fish's struggles ended, she looked back up at Jace, curious.

"Mister Jace, if a shadow shows where the fish is, then wouldn't a wolf's shadow tell the fish where the wolf is?"
Loyal to the death
452 Posts
Ooc —
Ferdie was not sure the answer to that question, Njal told him the fish were not dumb, but did the fish pay attention to shadows? did they even understand what they were?

Ferdie tapped a paw into the water then picked it up and sighed very softly, backing up a step he sat back to watch them. It was then Ferdie heard Jace call her by name and that Ferdie realized he hadn't even known her name. but he used it now anyway as he spoke to her

Nightingale, see if you can catch me a big one and possibly a little one? then we shall eat them

Ferdie was going to stuff this little wolf with as much food as he could, he was going to make sure she gained at least a pound or two this week.
He watched her closely making sure she didn't wobble like she had at the pack borders.
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace smiled at her and spoke softly "You can just call me Jace little one. And as for the fish they can't see us very well. If you look their eyes on the side of their heads and they can't move them around very well. If you are not quick enough they can see you yes, but you just have to be quicker than them which is why you go for the shadow. As yo uhit the shadow they will be there cause they can dart forward quickly. Make sense? he hoped it did because he wanted to make sure the little wolf in front of him earned a place and didn't have to be killed either.

He then looked at her and asked her a gently "Do you want to try you can come and stand in front of me and I can help if you need it he looked her over he did not want her in the water too long for fear she would catch a cold.
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
She thought for a moment, inspecting the fish's eye in front of her."So... They can't see you very well, over all, but they can see you if your not quick enough to catch them. That's why you have to scoop them up from their front, because their instincts tell them to dart forward, which would just be going into your paws?" The pup mimicked the scooping motion Jace had done to catch the fish. Shedid this several times until she felt comfortable. Though it wasn't completely adequate, as it wasn't moving, she tried on the dead fish, muttering that she was slightly off to the left. Fixing her position, she found the most accurate way to catch a fish, with her paw splayed sideways just a tad, acting as a scoop, and her head angled a bit so her left eye could see more.

She looked up at Jace. "No... I want to try for myself. Then you can tell me what I'm doing wrong and we can fix it." She turned to Ferdie, remembering what Jace had called him. "Okay, Mister Ferdie, I'll catch two fish for us, and they'll be superfish, they'll be so big!" she knew that wasn't true, but the hope would push her to do better. She felt that she always did better when she was in a hopeful mood. She padded to the water, eyeing the surface carefully...

A flash caught her eye, and she was on it in an instant. She scooped the fish, and it went flying, a rising sense if dread made her realized her mistake. Too far to the left! Stupid eye! quickly she snapped at the flying fish in desperation. She caught its tail before it hit the water. She dragged it out as it wriggled to get free. Once on the bank, she killed her fish. She was soaked from the experience, and she turned away. After walking a bit, she shook herself down. Her sleek pelt was now a little more fluffy, and her ribs didn't show out as much. She turned back to the adult wolves, seething in embarrassment and shame. She looked down at her paws and squeaked softly.

"S-Sorry...!"
Loyal to the death
452 Posts
Ooc —
Ferdie chuckled softly, then grinned proudly, That was better then I could do Mi'sweet he gave her a nick name Try again, practice makes perfect! Ferdie swayed his tail along the ground happily. He could groom the pup if she would submit to it just before her brought her back to fox.

Ferdie tipped his head to Jace and nodded then asked Do you know of any other skill we could teach her, I'd love to present Fox with at least two skills?

Ferdie was grasping at straws when he turned to nightingale Do you know anything about plants? what's good for you and what not? an invaluable position in any pack was a healer, if she didn't but was interested he'd be willing to leave the pack land with her to find her a tutor.
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace smiled at her and shook his head "no need to be sorry you did wonderful for your first try and Ferdie's right it would have been better than him. he teased the older male while trying to boost the little girl's confidence. Jace had to think hard for a moment and then he spoke "Well there's healer but also perhaps a naturalist though I know nothing about that I do know enough about healing to teach her a few things that she could impress, but then she would have to find someone to teach her more.

Jace motioned for her to come forward he gave her a comforting lick on the head and said quietly "WOuld you like to try again Nightingale. You are doing great.
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
Nightingale smiled at their compliments, her embarrassment replaced with pride. She nodded and went to go for another fish. She caught her second one, beaching it successfully after she had recalculated her aim. She padded overto kill it. She then took it over to Ferdie, placing it in front of him. She took the second fish and placed it in front of Jace before walking over to her own. Satisfied, she began to eat. Her ears perked up and her eyes grew wide.

"Plants? You mean, you can teach me what plants are good to eat and what would help with cuts an' things?" The young wolf looked even more excited to do this than fishing. "I've always wanted to learn how to tell one plant from another. I've seen wolves and other animals use plants, and they look like they help a lot! It'd be cool, to tell one plant from another..."

She quieted down as she entered deep thought. It was true. She viewed plants as dead useful. She always admired wolves that held intellectual knowledge of plants. Sure, rabbits and water kept you alive, but did either help when someone was sick or injured as much as a plant that had healing properties? Of course not.
Loyal to the death
452 Posts
Ooc —
Ferdie dropped his head and lifted a paw to cover his nose 'It'd be cool, to tell one plant from another... Cool was not what he was going for, he wanted her to have a deeper interest, but for now he supposed that learning from Jace was the best option his she showed a desire to learn how to use the plants to their full potential then he could take her to another healer then

But this was a lot to ask of Jace, Ferdie Von Pelt had never felt so useless in his life. "If you could show her how to use some plants Mi'Friend, I'll find her another teacher if she shows promise. I don't want to over extend you in my quest here It was now that Jace had earned Ferdie's full trust and respect; and so he had earned a nick name from this brute.

Even so, He didn't want to saddle Jace with the burden he might bare if he failed Nightingale. but if he got Jace too involved Jace would likely try to bare some if not all Ferdie burden anyway. neither one of them could handle what might come. it would destroy these dark yet sensitive beasts.

Tyrande if you want your character to became a healer we can go visit the other packs and look for a tutor of sorts

Edit by Remedy: I moved your OOC post up here.
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace listened to Nightingale a veritable chatter box now that he had gained at least some of her trust. He wolfed down his fish as he thought of the amount of herbs he knew. He did not know many but he knew enough to bind a wound, and administer pain medication. He also knew how to set a break.

He looked at Ferdie with determination in his eyes. "You do not worry about involving me friend I'll gladly help. he looked down at Nightingale again and gave her a small smile she was much like his sister. Okay listen closely Nightingale I don't have the plants in front of me, but I can tell you about them and then another day you and I and Ferdie can go on a gathering mission deal?

He tilted his head and bending his head he took a forepaw and began to draw in the soft dirt by the river. Okay you know the red flowers you see in the fields around here? They are called Poppy okay and poppy can help with pain. However, and it is important that you remember this Nightingale okay you can never give too much to another wolf for they can become addicted to it. Do you understand what I mean when I say this? You can put Yarrow in the wound to stop the bleeding and help with pain and such. Yarrow is usually a yellow flower you can also find it in meadows. To stop the bleeding of a wound you can use cobwebs to clot it and finally when you are setting a broken bone you need a stronger wolf like Ferdie or I and you need us to position the leg just right and then we push it back into place and you can bind it with seaweed. he looked down at her hoping he didn't give her too much information in one day and that she could commute it easily.
81 Posts
Ooc — Jessica
yus, please. I would recommend my original character, Tyrande nightshade, since she earned her title nightshade because of her extensive plant knowledge,but seeing as they are both my characters and the fact she's from the very territorial pact of Silvertip, she probably isn't the best choice xD

Nightingale nodded excitedly. "It's a deal! So..." the pup remembered thoughtfully, soaking up his words like a sponge. She looked at him. "Poppies are the red flowers that grow in the fields. They are pain-relievers, but I need to be careful because wolves can become addicted to them. Then there are yellow flowers called Yarrow. They can also help pain and stop bleeding, and they are also found in meadows. I can also use cobwebs to stop heavy bleeding." She looked at him, hoping to get it right.
Loyal to the death
452 Posts
Ooc —
We'll find a separate RP even if we go to lecter *Shutters* You don't mind Ferdie trying to mold her into the pack healer then?

Ferdie brightened, there was hope yet; his mood brightened. Nightingale I need you to eat and sleep, you need rest to get stronger, lets go to the den and get you settled in, tomorrow we'll start again.

Ferdie planned to start the day having her fish and then travel possibly to a near by pack and find a healer, keeping NIghtingale away from Fox for now was probably the best idea.

but once he got her settled into the den the first thing he was going to do was groom every inch of her pelt to a fluffy shine.

Ferdie nodded to jace and stood up getting ready to usher the pup toward the creek. I can't thank you enough Mi'friend, when I have time I will thank you much more properly