Stavanger Bay sold my red horse for a venture home
what would an ocean be without a monster lurking in the dark?
340 Posts
Ooc — Cactus
All Welcome 
The waves were far too wild that day for the pirate to find himself in them. He had, however, found himself a large boulder outside of a small cave system that he found suitable for his own lazy sun baths. He was perched atop it, sprawled out with his front legs extended so that they drooped from the top of it. A yawn split his dark lips and his eyes roamed the shorelines in search of any passersby that he might be able to pester. It had been a short while since he had seen some of his recruits. Sandpiper seemed busy with her own ventures, or was spending a great deal of time with Raptor. He was pleased to see his best friend and sister getting on so well, but he'd rather they include him instead of just the two of them. Seeing as he was left on his own, he had opted to enjoy what little sun they would be getting for the day instead of the brisk chill that the ocean brought.
calling to join them the wretched and joyful
shaking the wings of their terrible youths
freshly disowned in some frozen devotion
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Engel ventured through the territory, going close enough to see the water. The slow waves, the sun. This place was a lovely place. And all the ones he had met so far were kind enough to keep him about. Plus, Awinita was here, and he had promised to protect her. As he ventured, he stpooed the one he had meant to seek out after arriving, but it had slipped his mind. 

"Hey Smokes- I mean, Captain" he said, correcting himself and bowing his head before him. "I am back from scouting out packs...quite a few around."
All of Engel's threads are always open! For better or for worse.
340 Posts
Ooc — Cactus
Almost as though his wish had been granted by the gods of the water themselves, one of the lads had arrived. Smokestep peered down from his lofty perch and smirked at the red fellow. The greeting was appreciated, so he lifted his tail and rose to sit atop the large stone with a smug expression. “Ahoy, Engel; tell yer Captain what ye've been up to,” he prompted with a swift nod of his skull. He had noted the scout's absence, and he had found that it had taken him a suitable amount of time to scout the coast for other packs and then return home. Smokestep was eager to hear about what the lookout had come up with on his journey and what prospects there were out there for plundering.
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Engel watched as Smokestep moved, keeping his eyes up at the other. His Captain. The Captain gave a greeting, and then straight to the point. So Engel got to it immediately. "Found three packs along the coast. Two were...nice" he said, glancing away as he thought of the meeting with one of them. "The other, not so much."

That had been a short meeting they had had, at the pack next to the one on the cliffs. "Besides the not so nice one, the others seem good. Though I think they'd rather keep to themselves..."
340 Posts
Ooc — Cactus
Engel had a number of packs for him, and Smokestep nodded his head a few times while he listened to the red male speak about the others that had settled on the edge of the water. Once his lookout had finished, the Captain rose from his perch and jumped down from the boulder to land in the sand. He shook his pelt and then lifted his skull up to regard his fellow crew mate. Flicking the tip of his tail, Smokestep canted his head to the left and squinted a single red eye at the red fellow. “Oi well that's great, innit? Ye get any names from 'em?” the pirate inquired with a small smile. He gestured with his muzzle to the beach so that they might walk and chat about the scout's adventures.
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
He watched as the Smokestep leaped down from the boulder, and landed before him. Smoke asked for the names, and Engel nodded...even though he had only been told the name of one of them. "Well, Drageda...that's one of the nice ones. The one that was rather rude gave no name, and the other...was somewhat distracted" he said, giving off another grin.

"They are all east of us. The one named Drageda is on some cliffs, and the other nice one is in some forest." That left the unkind one, but he hadn't gotten a good look as he had not been there for long.
340 Posts
Ooc — Cactus
The scout had gotten one name – Drageda – and shared it with some confidence that allowed Smokestep to believe he was not lying in his excursion. The pale corsair found the rest to be somewhat troubling. He wondered faintly which pack was the more hostile of the three that had been visited and if they would mind a friendly pirate at their doorstep to make sure they had a proper greeting. The forest struck him as being familiar, but he was not able to confirm if the red creature was speaking of Ravensblood – Screech's pack – or another that had settled nearby. Most of the territory inland was difficult to traverse, and Smokestep was not fond of it at all. He did his best to stay away from it.

Frowning thoughtfully and beginning to walk slowly down the beach with the other male, the pale creature cast a dual-colored gaze at Engel and nodded his head. “Ye did good, lad. Say, did ye travel down west? See if there's anyone makin' a home out there?” he inquired with a small smile. He would assume that Engel had wandered the entirety of the coast, but he could not be certain.
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Engel began to move as Smokestep did as well, both leaving footprints behind as they did. "Good, yeah..." It had been a great venture, with much excitement. He loved almost every bit of it. Then he was asked if he travelled west. Well, at least he knew where to go next.

"I...do not believe I did. Only east...I can head west soon if you need it, Captain." More adventures out there, more fun. Even if it was further from Tine, in fact the whole other direction.
340 Posts
Ooc — Cactus
So, Engel had not traveled west yet, but that did not concern the pale wolf very much. There would be time to send the red lad out again and then he could return with whatever news the remainder of the coast brought him. In the meantime, it would be smart of the Captain to seek out these packs to the east and see if he could plant some plans for alliances with any of the settlers. He was not entirely enthralled with the prospect, but he knew that there was strength in numbers, and he never wanted his home to be threatened by the presence of any who would seek to cause them harm.

“Ye don't have to leave right away. Drop anchor an' get yer sea legs back before ye head out,” he instructed with a smile and a grateful expression to the red wolf. “Wot else have ye done out there, Engel?” Because, Smokestep wanted to know the business of his crew, and he wanted to make sure that he was an active presence in their lives.
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Engel was somewhat glad to hear that, sighing with relief. He had just travelled and while he was all for it...another travel without much rest. He did not enjoy the thought of that really. "Good to hear. I'll rest up, meet the others of the crew." Then he was about to reply to the next question, when he thought of what else he had done. Really, there had been one thing, and her name was Tine.

"Uhhh.....had fun. Met some...interesting wolves." And that he did. He had fun, met interesting wolves, got to know them a little better.
340 Posts
Ooc — Cactus
It seemed that even the lookout was eager to take a load off and settle down for a short while to rest. The lad mentioned wanting to meet some of the others who had been recruited and Smokestep wagged his tail at this with a swift nod of his head. “Aye, ye should. The crew ought to be familiar wit each other,” he affirmed vocally and offered an encouraging smile to the red-furred wolf at his side. The two walked a little ways further and Smokestep's single ear swiveled to meet his words and found it odd that he would speak so little of his travels.

“Well don't hold out on me, lad,” Smokestep urged indignantly, “what have ye got out there? Any prospects? Anyone ye'd like ta bring aboard?” For all that the Captain was, he enjoyed the talks of gossip and drama. More than this, he was always looking for new prospects, and would prefer to be given a direction as opposed to be trekking inland on his own.
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
He nodded. Engel would be sure to find the others, meet with them and become acquainted with the rest of the crew. They continued onwards, and Smokestep urged him to continue. Engel smiled, even giving a small chuckle. "Well all of them have a pack..." Except Tine, but he wasn't sure if she wanted in. "One of them I like...if you get my meaning." He grinned, but it fell to an awkward expression as last time he spoke of such things to his alpha, it did not go well.

"Anyway, I know a few here. Rosalyn, Awinita...Awinita and me go back a few months. Was surprised when I found her here." He was also glad to have done so.
340 Posts
Ooc — Cactus
Engel mentioned a few names of those he knew in the pack. Both names were – of course – familiar to Smokestep, but he felt a strange and rare sort of jealousy that Engel knew Roz before having joined the crew. It was unfounded, but it caused a stirring in his gut that he could not entirely extinguish. In hopes that he might be able to pry some information out of his lookout, the pirate cast him a sideways glance and frowned thoughtfully. “Right so, ye found yerself a bit o' tail, eh?” he inquired with a widening smile. “Tell me more, lad. Wot's she like?” Realizing that he might have made a mistake on the male's preferences, he coughed softly and shook his head. “Er... he? I don't judge, mate, either way.” Smokestep hoped that it would excuse him if he had made a mistake during his first inquiry. Still, he'd offended much worse in his life and was bound to offend a great deal more.
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Engelhard gave a low chuckle at hearing that. Yes indeed he had earned some. Then he chuckled again, shaking his head as well after Smokestep corrected himself. It was quite funny. "No, I am all for both" he said, daring a shoulder bump against Smokestep. "They are a she, by the way."

He smiled to himself, thinking about Tine. "She's a dark beauty, and somewhat adorable..." Till she showed her biting side. "At times, she is a bit...bitey." 
340 Posts
Ooc — Cactus
It appeared that Engel was talking about a girl, which caused Smokestep to feel entirely more jealous than he should have. He wondered if it was Roz that he was referencing, but he couldn't be sure. Drawing an interested gaze to the lookout, the pirate lifted his brows and drew his tail upward in a friendly fashion. He didn't want the red lad to feel what he was feeling; he hardly wanted to feel it himself. Still, he had an eye for the red woman called Rosalyn and he did not want anyone to come between him and her just yet. Smokestep was young and he did not know his own brashness the way that others would experience it. Nonetheless, he needed to know who Engel was talking about. “So, has this lovely lass got a name? Or are ye keepin' her a secret? She one o' the crew?” he spilled question after question, hoping to pull some further information from the scout so that he could feel at ease once more.
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
He sighed before uttering her name, "Tine...she ain't part of the crew, met her a fair distance away." Tine had been on his mind ever since their second meeting, she could not leave it. "What about you, Captain? Anything fun happen while I was gone?" What had he missed? Obviously he had missed Awinita coming in, but what else?
340 Posts
Ooc — Cactus
Let's go ahead and archive! You can reply or just archive it without replying. Either way is great. <3 Also we can have another one whenever.
“Well, I'll leave it up to ye to bring her aboard, lad.”

Smokestep felt as though this girl was a careful subject for his red-furred lookout. He pulled his gaze away from his companion and continued on their trek. It wasn't going to be his job to gather recruits based on who his crew liked; they were grown and could make the effort themselves. He felt, after all, that Engel would make a far better effort of it than he ever would. The scout had emotional attachment where Smokestep did not, and so he wanted to keep it in the hands of the other wolf.

Another question came from Engel and Smokestep felt it would take a while to explain what had happened in his absence. Gesturing with his muzzle to their borders, the pirate hoped that Engel would follow. “Right, o' course. Let's go tend to the borders an' I'll catch ye up,” he said with a smile and they trotted off to mark their pack for those who might draw too close.