Stone Circle grief's painful stab
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
All Welcome 
Still limping, Nikai was learning to get by on three legs better and better. The infection seemed to have gotten less bad with the herbs he'd received, though he still couldn't stand on the leg. The news of Murdock's death was still heavy on his mind as he set out to search for @Poppy that day. He knew the news must have hit her hard and he wanted to make sure that his pack mate was looked after, as he wasn't sure how many friends she had besides Murdock himself.

He carried a scrawny hare; the first thing Nikai had caught since his leg injury. It was injured so he had managed despite his handicap. He was proud for it, but he felt Poppy should have it. He still felt the pain of Keoni's death fresh on his mind and knew how it had stopped him from caring for himself... He didn't wish that on another, so this one was for Poppy. Hopefully he'd pick up her scent soon and see her unique appearance somewhere 'round the territory so he could give the kill to her.
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia

!!! sorry for the wait, just got back from vacation!
she'd spent all the time she could with Murdock's body before they'd buried it in the dirt, and then she'd spent much of her days curled atop where his body lay in its shallow grave. the suddeness of it all shocked her, and she wondered if this was the way that most wild creatures died. she'd never had to contend with death; sometimes cats or fellow farmdogs were simply taken away and not returned, and she'd learned not to question the finality of it all.

it was Nikai's approach that had her stir from her silent post beside the grave, roused from her half-sleep. she liked the freckled boy, and yet somehow, even with all the wolves about, Easthollow seemed hollow, empty. she chuffed a tired greeting, rising into a more dignified sitting position and attempting a strained smile.[/small]
Adopt my pups!               
[Image: SXBUara.jpg]
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
no prob, thanks for joining! :)

It was no surprise to find her near the grave of Murdock. He'd taken sentinel by Keoni's grave for weeks after her death, had spoken to her. Just being near her had made him feel a bit more at peace and had given his grief time to sink in. As he approached, Nikai could tell by her greeting that she was tired.

He put the scrawny hare's carcass on the ground and nudged it towards her. "I caught this for you." His voice was soft with a touch of care; a thing often present in his voice, but paired with the recognition of such raw grief it was still different. He knew all too well that in such a trying time one needed others to care for you. "I know it sucks, and it was so sudden, too. I... don't really know what else to say about it." And maybe she didn't want him to. Nikai's mind was still freshly disheveled by the conversation he had had with Valette. Murdock had died not long after and it had put his journeying thoughts on the back burner for now. He would explore some neighbouring territories first, and see how that would leave him feeling, before making the definite decision.
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia
the boy dropped the hare, his soft words having her auds flicker atop her skull. "thank you," she breathed, trying for a small smile in spite of the crushing grief. it was perhaps the kindness of the boy that awed her most; how different he was from his mother in so many regards. 

she drew the gift towards herself, the dog huddled small in the shadow of the gravemarker.  "I didn't understand, when Keoni - I do, now."  and, in some sense, she though the boy all the stronger because of it - she could now imagine the weight of acting with his goodness when under the slow crush of grief.

Adopt my pups!               
[Image: SXBUara.jpg]
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
i'm retiring Nikai for now, so this is my last post in this thread. feel free to fade this with either Nikai leaving her be or them chatting or whatnot. :)

Nikai smiled sadly when Poppy said that she hadn't understood what he had gone through with Keoni. He understood that. Nobody ever really knew until they went through a similar thing. He wasn't sure what else to say, still -- it felt as if words were obsolete or somehow just never enough in situations like these. Even when having experienced a similar situation, even when knowing what loss was like... It was still difficult to come up with words because they were so fleeting, and the message he wanted to give was something hard to express in mere words.

"If you ever need a friend, you can come look for me," he offered. "To talk, a shoulder to cry on, or someone to scream at about how unfair the world is." Nikai hesitated, not sure if she wanted him to stay or if it would be better to go, for now, until she found him; until she needed him. "Anything." They weren't very well acquainted, had only met twice, but somehow it felt like they had known each other for a long time to Nikai. He smiled at her and looked at Poppy: Should she want to talk some more now he would stay however long she wanted, but if she would stay silent or make it seem as if she'd rather be alone, he would leave for now.