Cedar Sweep pick at every stitch
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater
All Welcome 

Heading back was no chore, but it gave him some time to think about his options, desires, and motivations. When he came to the hillside that would lead him towards Nimbus, Ambrose decided on a whim to go the other way—heading in to the Sweep where the cedar trees stood like monoliths in their old age. The scent of the splintering wood was refreshing, made more intense by the light rain that started to drizzle through the branches of the trees. There was a thin fog that had crept across the hills in the early hours, and it lingered still—probably destined to becoming a thick white soup in a matter of hours. All in all, the eerie atmosphere was made less intimidating by the vibrance of the forest around him. Ambrose liked the rain; he liked the smell of it, and the look of things when they were damp and saturated. 

This forest however, was hardly different from the previous. There were older trees here, certainly. The signs of elk were here too but less so, and as he trailed along he found himself lost in thought. The boy wasn't exactly a thoughtful or introspective sort; he preferred to work hard and let his skills speak for themselves, but lately that hadn't been enough. He judged himself to be just as skilled as his sister in many regards, better in others, and as he wandered, he wondered—why hadn't he done better? Had this all been a trick by his brother @Bruges to make him feel like shit? That, he doubted. Ambrose knew his brother was an annoying influence but he wasn't malevolent. Still, he was happy to lay the blame upon the rogue.
135 Posts
Ooc — Me
Apple had not traveled far, since her arrival at Tuktu Hinterlands, having found out that weather here was more acceptable than it had been by the windy shores and that there were still small game for her to hunt and have her fill. The cedar forest especially had proven to be the best stashed place so far, therefore she had remained her for few days to have rest and decide, where to go and what to do next. 

She had been sleeping soundly in a bed of soft sand under the cover of roots of a fallen tree, when she perceived the sound of someone's footfalls in the distance and coming nearer. The old wolf woke up, listened intently and in order to have a better look, emerged from her hideout and jumped on the tree trunk to have a better look. There in the distance she caught sight of a dark pelted wolf approaching.
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater
Ambrose didn't expect to find anyone familiar today. He thought that maybe, with the way his luck has been going the past few weeks, he might encounter his brother again — or maybe a cougar, a bear, one of those unnamed flying machines the likes of which hadn't been spotted in the wilds for months. Whatever. Just something to ruin his day. He noticed movement in his peripheral vision and turned his head, but in the time it took for him to drift closer, the shape had vacated a spot beneath an old tree's claw-like roots. He didn't see the fluffy cloud of a wolf until later, and by that point they appeared to have noticed him first. 

He stiffened a little as he walked, unsure of what to make of this fluffy thing; they could've been dangerous after all. Nothing about them was familiar. From the heavy white coat to the scent they carried. Ambrose held back for a minute and inspected the air for more clues, sniffing and watching, until he called out in a level manner: Hello. Did I disturb you?
135 Posts
Ooc — Me
The handsome stranger did not notice Apple at first, giving her enough time to do a thorough visual inspection of her own and form an opinion of the guy and the upcoming encounter. It was clear from afar already that were it not for the throne the old lady was perching on, he would have towered over her, which gave her - being as small as she was - an advantage, though her personality made up for any deficits in size or brute strength.

She greeted him with her usual cheerful smile and with a cheeky glint in her eyes: "Not at all, not at all, when Prince Charming of the woods has come to flirt with me in person."
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater
Flirt! With her? Not that she wasn't pretty - and not that he wouldn't, of course - but the bold nature of her words takes a moment to process and Ambrose is left temporarily tongue-tied. He is reminded of the bet he had with his brother Bruges, something about getting laid, taking names and breaking hearts, but he knows that isn't his style; along with that, they'd just met! He did enjoy it, that daring voice and confidence, but it took him by surprise.

Seems you've got me beat - callin' me handsome like that, hah! You think I'm that easy? He wasn't as easy as Bruges anyways, which that probably would've worked on. Still, it was an ego boost that he sorely needed. I might be, come to think of it. He bluffed playfully, and went on to add: You gotta work a little harder though - maybe get a bite to eat, see a show, y'know?
135 Posts
Ooc — Me
The fellow appeared to be dumb-founded for a while, before he regained his balance and found words to reply. Had Apple known, what stream of thoughts had passed through after her rather innocent comment about "flirting", she would have felt greatly amused and flattered. Especially about that "getting laid" part. 

"I only tell, what my eyes see," and you are obviously self-aware already. "Is that so? In my time boys asked girls out and were ready to bring a world to their feet, if they liked her particularly. But I am old and rules of courting might have changed," she mused just as playfully. "Tell, what I do not know about the present day love-game? I am quite old-fashioned and ignorant of innovations, you see."

They spoke a while longer and then went their separate ways.

30/11/18: Sorry to cut this thread short - I am retiring Apple.