Shield Maiden's Sorrow
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
It had been a hectic few days, but they were finally settling in, all of them. She needed some time to herself, to lay her friend to rest finally. So with a small backward glance towards the den where Skoll sat to watch the pups, she began to trek further into the wilds.

Her blue eyes took in all that was around her, the trees in all their glory stood above her tall and strong, with bony fingered branches reaching towards the very heavens. Bird song trilled down to her downy ears, and she swiveled them to and fro catching the haunting song of the whippoorwill. The only bird she knew that protected its nest, by offering up its self as a decoy. She held deep respect for them, for she herself would give her life for her children’s.

As she traveled her small paws stirring up the dirt on the ground, she was looking for the perfect place to just sit and let it all go, and perhaps just perhaps after it was done she would feel better and this sorrow would not beat down on her head so heavily.
248 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen

Julooke had been out and about that day, roaming over the packlands. She hadn't left since they got here, seeing no reason, too. After all of the traveling she and Verrine had done, she was relieved and happy to have a place to settle down and call home. It was almost like being in Sterrenvuur again. Except, this home had captives. Julooke supposed her leaders could have done a lot worse to trespassers, so she made no qualms about the decision to keep them captive here for a short time. Knowing Ragnar, he could have easily made the decision to kill them, instead. At least this way they will leave relatively unharmed, and hopefully with a new lesson learned.

A glimpse of movement caught her eye and she stopped abruptly. No trespasser here this time. Tail wagging, she chuffed to Thistle, and pranced her way over to her, ears softly flattened on her head and a smile on her face. Hey, Thistle, she greeted friendly. Whatcha up to? she asked, wondering if her friend was going anywhere in particular. She hoped she hadn't interrupted.

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
thistle found that even though she wanted to find a place to grieve in silence she also was lonely. She hadn't realized how withdrawn she was becoming until she walked and saw her small paw prints all alone in the dirt. She had Ragnar of course, but he was always so busy doing right by the pack, making sure he did all his duties, and then teaching their sons, and daughter the ways of the vikings, it left very little time for her, though he did try gods bless the man. And she had the children, but they were little and most of her days with them were passed with playing and teaching, she longed for adult conversation about adult things every once in awhile, but she found as she tried to talk to adults, that she could then not talk about anything but her children. Because simply put they were her whole world right now, and did not leave much room for anything else, hobbies included.

thistle heard a feminine voice call out her name and she turned hoping that it was not Nerian, she could not handle her at the moment, but no it was merely Julooke and a smile burst forth from her maw. Hello Julooke! Settling in well? And no just exploring, and hoping to put Pump to rest in my mind while I do it. I miss her.
248 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen

Thistle seemed happy to see her, which made Julooke even more joyous. She frowned, though, when her friend admitted she was trying to put Pump to rest. I'm sorry, she said, attempting to nose her friend's neck in comfort. I didn't have very long to know her, but I think she would have liked this place... It's so serene, she said. There was just something about it that made her feel at home instantly. Her eyes scanned the area surrounding them before going back to her friend. Verrine and I are settling in pretty well, she commented, including her mate in it, as she had become accustomed to doing. She no longer felt it was just her; they were a pair now. We found a good den, and fixed it up a little, she added.

I noticed there was another wolf hanging out with the pups. Who is that? she inquired. She hadn't met him yet, but that day she had ran to Eiríkr's side, he had been screaming for the male. Some might say Julooke was actually feeling a little jealous, but she would never admit it. She understood it was beneficial to the pups to have more than one caretaker.

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle turned into her friends nuzzle and smiled at her, as she closed her eyes to take comfort where comfort was given. Thistle chuckled I do not know if Pump would have liked it, I do not know if she would have even moved. She is, no she was about as stubborn as Ragnar is. She frowned at her slip up, sometimes it felt as if Pump was still there, she was just on a patrol or perhaps on an outrider mission, it was strange. I am glad the two of you are settling well. I still have yet to meet him officially. She smiled again and started to continue to walk as they talked, offering her friend silently to come along.

Thistle chuckled That is the viking SKoll, he is Ragnar's friend and healer's son. He is a sweet boy, thought he can barely speak a lick of english, but he is teaching me and I am teaching him, so we both win in the end. And Ein thinks he's the next best thing since a haunch of deer. Sometimes I must admit I am a bit jealous, he could care less where i am, he much rather prefers his father and Skolls company.
248 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen

She was corrected on that Pump would have likely not moved at all. She must have been very dedicated to Horizon Ridge. At least she doesn't have to leave... She gets to be there forever now, Julooke said. Thistle admitted she hadn't officially met Verrine, Really? Julooke asked for confirmation. Well, maybe you'll run into him one day. He's always running around here, doing something, she said with a smile. If they weren't together, he could be found running along the borders, most likely.

Thistle said the male's name was Skoll, and Julooke smiled when she said how much Ein was attached to him. Julooke could remember having favorites when she was younger, too. Thistle then admitted she was jealous, and Julooke couldn't hold back, Oh my stars, I am too! she exclaimed. It was hard to be an adult when she wanted to be that special wolf who got all of their attention. She laughed, knowing she would just have to get over it.

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle smiled sadly Yes now she can stay there forever. Did you know that Pump wasn't always such a homebody, or a nice wolf? She used to stay to herself, I remember her being that way when I first came here. But after the landslide, she became what she was when you met her. Thistle chuckled she and her both ahd men who were either with them or on the borders somewhere. Ragnar is much the same way, if he is not near me he is on the borders or attending to something in the lands.

Thistle joined in the laughter Aren't we just two alike snowflakes, both being jealous. I think it's okay to be jealous sometimes, as long as we don't let it rule us, almost like I did with Nerian. Thistle shrugged she was still getting over much of that whole issue, but she was trying for her own sake, her husbands and the poor maiden's.
248 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen

It seemed Pump was not always the kind leader Julooke had known. Her eyes grew wide when Thistle told her. Maybe she realized after the landslide how much her pack needed her, she hypothesized. It was unfortunate it may have taken such a serious incident, but eventually Pump came around, and that's what mattered. Since this was the first she was hearing of it, none of wolves seemed to hold her past against her.

Julooke eyes narrowed in a playful expression, You think they're actually hanging out together under the premise of pack work, just to get away from us? The skin where a brow would have been lifted. A paranoid mate might just think it was a rational explanation, but Julooke just laughed. Julooke knew Verrine loved her, and she didn't think he needed to find excuses to have his own time away from her. It was natural for a wolf to need their alone time. Well, not Julooke. She was social and needed her friends or else she would go crazy.

She turned sober, How are you doing with that? she asked about the Nerian situation. Julooke hadn't seen Nerian since before Thistle told her about what was going on, so no awkward conversation there. She had remember almost bringing it up to Ragnar, but she knew she would have betrayed Thistle by opening her mouth, so she had kept it shut on that subject.

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni

Thistle chuckled and then realized her mistake spoke quickly Pump was not always the leader, before that we had a male leader Akhlut I think his name was. Ragnar would remember better than me. And I think she did realize that we needed someone to trust and follow, so she stepped up. Thistle did not hold the past against anyone if she could help it. Occasionally yes she would feel a little upset about something in the past, for instance the way Ragnar had treated Dagmar when she had aborted the litter, but she had soon gotten over it.

Thistle laughed If only that were true, no unfortunately my husband does not socialize as much as he should unless it is for the pack. And that was true he mostly spoke with her, and if he did happen to speak with someone else it was to learn something or to teach something never just to pass the time. Thistle did not mind when Ragnar went places either, because she knew he’d always come back unless there was some serious issue.

Thistle sighed at the next question, How was she doing with it. Her husband and her had talked about it and she found even more disturbing news out about it, but at the same time she knew too that she needn’t worry about it anymore It is fine now I guess. I still am not happy with her, and I have not be able to talk to her yet, but apparently she was in heat and wanted my husband to ahem…fix that certain burning..but he didn’t….he turned her down for me, because of me. So I don’t worry about it so much anymore, now I am just angry that she said anything and tried something when she shouldn’t have. It’s not polite and it’s not fair to myself or to Ragnar for her to put him in such a position. When any healer worth their salt knows it’s not easy for a male to ignore that certain fact. She took a deep breath then, trying to breathe through the mile a minute she had been speaking.

248 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen

Thistle told her the story of how Pump had stepped up after the landslide incident, understanding now what she had meant in the first place. Ragnar mentioned that accident in passing when Verrine and I were joining. I didn't realize she had just become Alpha. But, it seemed to suit her, either way. The late Alpha might have been shy to begin with, but she had come out of her shell when someone needed a leader the most.

Thistle was right about Ragnar's social habits. He seemed to prefer sticking to business rather than to play. Julooke chuckled, Yeah, it's not really believable they'd skip out on us, she agreed. On occasion, Ragnar had humored Julooke's playful side, but she knew not to take it too far.

Thistle went on to explain how the tension between the trio was going, and Julooke's eyes bulged when she learned Nerian had been bold enough to flat ask Ragnar to mate with her. Julooke nodded, It isn't healthy for the pack as a whole to have that kind of unneeded stress on our leaders, she commented. Thistle may not have technically been an Alpha, but Julooke viewed her as such. It wasn't a far stretch anyways, seeing as how Thistle was second in command. She smiled a little, I bet it made you feel a little better to learn Ragnar had turned her down, she said. It's more proof that he loves you, that he's faithful to you. Julooke could still understand the anger, though. Nerian had been out of line with Ragnar for some time now, and it did not seem to be getting any better. This can't go on forever with Nerian taking so much freedom when it comes to Ragnar. He's going to snap. It was only a matter of time.

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle nodded her head yes it was bad, Kennedy broke his leg and became a terrible wolf afterwards he was bitter and mean. We lost the leader we don’t even know if he is alive or dead he was just gone and we lost many others all gone, haven’t been seen since. It did suit her she definitely came into her own. Thistle smiled sadly then, but realizing that she could talk about her friend now and it didn’t hurt as much.

Thistle chuckled again and dipped her muzzle, Yes my husband is all work and no play most of the time. Though he can play. She giggled then a girlish sound on the windy day. It showed her youth at that moment. She usually felt so old, but she had just recently turned two, she was not old even though she seemed to be, sometimes she had to remind herself of that.

Thistle smiled Oh julooke I am no leader, I am merely married to one. I told him once that I did not wish to lead, I think I shouldn’t have. Perhaps then my husband would not try and shoulder so much burden and responsibility and I could help. I should probably tell him soon that I don’t mind if he needs help. Thistle was second in command now, not even thinking of her spot in the hierarchy to be in jeopardy, but it would all too soon be taken from her, simply for a disagreement between her husband and his son. But for now she continued on in bliss. Thistle nodded and made an unintelligible noise in her throat. yes it makes me feel better, but I cannot help but wonder do you think he may grow to resent me for making him have to choose? For making him say no to someone that he clearly wants, and he cannot tell me otherwise. She would not be his slave this long if he didn’t want her. Thistle wanted to cry as she voiced that ugly thought. She did not doubt that her husband would continue to tell Nerian no, but the thought that he may grow to resent her, made her heart hurt badly. And yes he will. little did she know that it would be her that would take the brunt of his unhappiness later, but again she prattled on enjoying the day in bliss with her friend.
248 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen

Her friend went on to tell her a few details of the mud slight and its affects on the pack. One wolf broke his leg, which made his personality change drastically for the worse, and they lost their leader. All Julooke could imagine was him buried beneath the rubble. But, it seemed no one really knew what had happened. I'm so sorry to hear that, she responded softly. Losing a leader and have pack mates injured at the same time could not have been easy. Pump must have been a godsend to step up into the leadership position.

Julooke shrugged, You're not technically, but I can see everyone looks to you for guidance, just like they look to Ragnar. Thistle was well respected in the pack, and Julooke hoped she knew that. Her friend went on to tell of her fears about being resented. Julooke frowned, If he loves you, then he should respect what you want. By turning her away, he's showing you he does. He could have just... you know... But he didn't. That was his choice. Relationships took compromise. Still, it may not have been easy for Ragnar to change his ways and become committed to one female, just like it wouldn't have been easy for Thistle to share him, should she ever decide to try.

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle remembered Kennedy and what he had been, to what he ended up being and it made her sad. He had been a good wolf, a friendly wolf and he would have been a good addition to this pack if he had not let the bitterness of his slight in life eat away at him, until his insides were so full of poison he could not function and he just left..went away to lay down and die she thought. Thistle smiled and spoke softly Is it terrible that I tell you not to say sorry for that since I did not know him? It was sad yes especially for those who had followed him, but I did not know him so I am not sad, it is just someone who came and went.

Thistle chuckled thank you Julook you always manage to make me feel better. I hope I can return that favor someday. Thistle listened to her and she had to nod in agreement, Julook was right he did love her, and she needed ot let it go and stop worrying so much. IT was not his fault that Nerian wanted him, and he couldn’t help that he wanted her…he had been a many women wolf, and now he was a one woman wolf and of course that would take an adjustment, but as long as he did not stray, she imagined she could deal with him thinking lustful thoughts about another sometimes..though it would hurt, she would try and weather through it. You are right Julooke and I need to stop worrying about it, and stop acting like a victim when he did nothing wrong.
248 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen

Thistle confessed she hadn't known the previous leader, and that she couldn't be sad because of that reason. Julooke shook her head, I don't think it's bad. I mean, if everyone was sad over a loss of someone they didn't know, there would be a lot of it going around. I'm sure you were able to help in moving the pack pass that since you weren't emotionally involved. She could understand not feeling the loss of someone the wolf wasn't connected to, and also understood it wasn't a bad or wrong thing.

She smiled at her friend's kind words. You do make me feel better, just by being my friend. It was true. Julooke felt lucky to call Thistle Cloud her friend, and always felt happier after spending some time with her.

Julooke nodded at Thistle's revelation about not being a victim. Just keep in mind that no matter what Nerian's feelings are, Ragnar's feelings are the ones that count for you. She wondered, though, if Thistle would be able to hold her anger back much longer if Nerian continued to taunt Ragnar. She had a feeling Thistle would unleash herself onto the other female if she didn't smarten up soon and leave the devoted pair alone.

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Alright wrap this up with discovery so we can make a subforum in stavanager ? yes yes?

Thistle listened to everything ,but everything had been said that could be said. As they had walked and talked Thistle's gasp resounded throughout the dusky forest. They had come across a stone waterfall as the water tumbled down it, going head over heels over the rocks as it gurgled and frothed. Something like this

She held back a smile and tiptoed towards the edges look at that Julooke. She smiled then fully the gods were taking care of them with beautiful sites at least. As for her current quandary she was fairly certain it could and would end in heartbreak for someone, little did she know in the end it would be her.
248 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Heck yea! Woohoo! <3

Julooke hadn't paid much attention to her surroundings; instead focusing her attention on Thistle and their conversation. The scene that greeted them was plenty enough to bring her attention to it, though. The waterfall was magnificent, barreling down upon the rocks below the cliff, and emptying out into a small lake. The foliage surrounding the lake was thick with life. Wow, was all she could manage to say for a moment.

Her eyes went back and forth between the top of the waterfall and the bottom, and a grin spread across her maw. Watch this! she exclaimed before bounding off into some bushes. It took her a few minutes to find her way to the right spot. She appeared next to the waterfall, looking down at Thistle, her tail wagging excitedly. She turned, disappearing for a moment. She appeared again, this time leaping off the rock and falling down towards the water. The wind was in her face as her grin widened from the exhilaration. A moment later, she hit water, going several feet into it before breaking the surface to take in air. She swam back to shore and hoisted herself up onto land, taking a moment to shake herself off before smiling at Thistle. I have to do it again! she exclaimed before bounding off again. She had found her entertainment for the day.

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle saw her and a gasp rose in her throat as Julooke jumped into the waters below. But she soon surfaced and Thistle went barreling down intent to try and do the same thing. This could be so fun. With a howl she jumped from the very spot Julooke did and the moment when she fell was so exhilarating, she honestly didn't know if anything could compare. The shock of the cold water on her fawn fur made her gasp and drag in water again, only to resurface and laugh as she choked slightly. this is wonderful my friend!