Children of the storm (read only)
<i>"Sometimes there is no darker place than our thoughts, the moonless midnight of the mind."</i>
171 Posts
Ooc —
09/29: Since nobody replied, I'ma slap a "read-only" label on this and ship it off to the archives...

From her perch overlooking the southern sprawl of the park, Koontz had the perfect view of the encroaching storm. She saw the shadows spreading over the mountain like water stains, then saw the unmistakable gray mist that designated distant rainfall. Thunder began to growl dully, accompanied by the occasional lick of lightning across the sky. The storm, she knew, would bring about an early twilight. The land certainly needed the rain, as the summer had been unusually warm and dry.

Relaxing forward onto her belly, the Alpha female let her forepaws drape over the side of the cliff. Her pale blue eyes glowed in the dusky light as she pondered in the face of the coming storm. Her pack had suffered a great loss recently, with not only Ariston but a handful of others simply vanishing into the night. Koontz knew that she was not the only one reeling from the disappearances of nearly half the pack's population, seemingly overnight. Yet she tried to focus not on those missing, but those still left loyally standing by her side.

Two Face, Yildun, Julooke, Verrine, Beric, Pitch, Ray... she thought. It was ironic that many of the names were those who'd celebrated her promotion several weeks ago; or maybe it wasn't ironic at all. We'll look after each other and stay strong, she vowed. She would have to rely on these wolves and their skills to help see them through the coming days. She would need Two Face to root out prospective recruits and the two Leviathorgans to protect the weakened borders from assault. She and possibly Yildun would have to make themselves available to reassure the others through this dark patch. She hoped that, soon, someone would show their stripes as a good and proper Boneknapper, to help keep the small pack fed...

The rain arrived suddenly, washing over the plateau's southernmost ledge, and Koontz did not budge. Instead, she tipped her silver muzzle into the chilly rainfall, letting it wash over her. They would weather this storm, literally and metaphorically, and come out stronger once it passed.