Northstar Vale it's all water under the bridge now
i'm a bloody fallen angel
182 Posts
Ooc — cas
All Welcome 
The days after her acceptance into the Reneian Empire had been filled with naps and quiet contemplation. Saarthal had, uncharacteristically, kept to herself, exploring the territory in its entirety and mapping it out in her mind. It'd been too long, way too long since she belonged to a pack and by extension, had a semi-permanent place to call home. And after so much wandering it took some time for her to get used to. Scratch that, she still wasn't used to it, and reflecting quietly on that thought by the edge of a stream, she wondered if she would ever be. Perhaps, Grandfather and Father had been right - wandering was in her blood. But even they settled down and built a family. She was probably born when Father was her age now. Damn. That put things into perspective. 

With a shake of her head, Saarthal got up and started in the direction of the borders. The night air was crisp and cool, exactly how she liked it, and there didn't seem to be anyone around (which she didn't like as much) but having been plagued by insomnia lately, she knew sleep wouldn't come for her anytime soon. Might as well go for a border patrol, make sure things still smelled right, that sort of thing.
57 Posts
Ooc — JB + Ghostwriters
Away
From a distance the grizzled blot looked almost like her sister, and she attributed the haze to the drizzle of rain that had started overhead. Much as she would have enjoyed basking in the sun or hiding in the shade, Hime could not keep herself entertained in solitude and she was drawn towards the stranger because of her utter boredom. At first, sure, she'd thought it was Reiko and was bitterly pleased to have found her—then she thought it might be the puny slut she had encountered a day or so ago, and slowed down, a grimace of disgust playing across her face before she could assume the mask of royalty.

No; this stranger was grey for other reasons. Tainted somehow by poor genetics, she assumed. Yet another mutt of low breeding left to roam this wonderful vale. Really, where did Reiko find all of these peasants? They infested the place like fleas, weaving in and out of the forested hills, taking full advantage of the so-called Empresses soft heart. Ugh. Gross.

With a breath and a blink Hime assumed the posture of someone in charge, then continued to follow along. Her strides were measured, her head raised with confidence, and her face softened as she put on the guise of Reiko. It was easy for her to do so—they were twins, and Hime was well versed in this act—so that when she arrived by the other wolf it would be difficult to discern any differences.

She bat her lashes as she watched them move along their patrol route, and waited to be noticed.
182 Posts
Ooc — cas
Saarthal - though admittedly the least well-behaved of her littermates and never the best at fighting or talking - was well-trained in everything that made a proper Roman legionnaire and heir. Soldier, healer, diplomat, the whole works. So, it didn't take long (like maybe a little more than few seconds, sorry, you gotta cut her some slack - she's a bit sad, not the most alert of wolves right now) before she noticed the presence of a stranger. The wolf seemed familiar and...was also incredibly attractive - well, from what she could see. Was it..Reiko?

"Hi," Saarthal said, head inclining in a small bow of greeting, lips quirked in an impish smile. "Reiko? Didn't think anyone would be up late," she gestured at the borders, "I was just patrolling...got insomnia, y'know." Yes, Saarthal, you're well on your way back to your normal, no-filter self. Nice. Good progress. Now you just gotta tell her she looks damn ho- nope, you don't wanna get kicked out. This is the Empress. And yetthere was something that didn't exactly sit well with her. Maybe it was the smell...? the scent? was that it?
57 Posts
Ooc — JB + Ghostwriters
Away
The little smirk upon the girl's face was somehow familiar—maybe because it seemed suspiciously like a devil's shy grin, and that was something Hime knew well. She wondered if she could have any fun with this one. Not like her tinkering in the little slut's affairs, but something different, more fun for herself. 

The girl mentioned insomnia, patrols—boring things, really. Hime (still in the guise of Reiko) sighed, fluttered her eyelids a bit, and began the charade.

Oh, well, I... I don't suppose, you would like some company? Her voice had Reiko's sweet lilt, but was characterized by a little sadness, which Hime tried to hide. She gave a nervous look around the area afterwards and added: Unless you're busy with your duties. The safety of the pack is important too, after all. Cue a smile—small, soft, tinged with melancholy.
182 Posts
Ooc — cas
Reiko was startling pretty...which, okay, obviously Saarthal noticed that on their first meeting but to be perfectly honest, she hadn't been paying the best of attention because of numerous factors such as 1. whether or not she'd get in 2. the thick swampy sensation that clouded her brain etc. anyway, not that it mattered, because she was...hold on - "I'd love some company," Saarthal began, eyebrows drawn into a slight frown as she appraised the girl, "but Reiko was - you were..quite pregnant the last time I saw you..." she trailed off. The Reiko/not pregnant Reiko was gorgeous and what Saar would give for - stop. but like, the Reiko? the girl? (so confused) looked like Reiko, acted like Reiko (well, like what she presumed Reiko was like...they hadn't talked for long), was attractive like Reiko...but there seemed to be a distinct difference in the scent and the build? Was she going insane? Was she beginning to see things? What the hell - feeling like life was a meaningless mumble jumble of crap was enough to occupy her on most days. Frankly, Saarthal did not need this sort of insanity in her life.
57 Posts
Ooc — JB + Ghostwriters
Away
Oh. It seemed that, out of all the wolves she had encountered thus far, the newest among them would be the most observant. The comparisons to her fat sister made her want to sneer, but Hime remained composed; she did not drop the act for a moment, and let a peal of light laughter roll from her tongue. The feigned sorrow was gone for the time being, replaced by a little spark of mirth.

Oh, no, nono! She had prepared for this. You must have met my brother, Saito. Well, here her voice dropped to a conspiratorial whisper, and she nosed in close to Saarthal's cheek, imparting a presumed secret: He wants us to call him brother but he's, not, well, properly endowed. My dear brother, he was my twin sister at birth but—well, I presume something went a little awry in his head. Then she pulled back, letting out a sigh as her furs settled across her shoulders. Its a bit of a mess for our family. Sometimes he would play pretend and be a lady, and as he got older he would pretend to be me, and honestly I thought he had grown out of all that.

A roll of her eyes, a shake of her head. I've caught him rolling around in my den many times, but really, how can anyone ever mistake him for me? He's so much bigger! Its so obvious! She drawls on, and then goes quiet as she observes the stranger. Oh, but, you are new to us. It really isn't your fault. He is a terrible trickster. I will have a word with him later.

Then she stepped aside, welcoming the other wolf to walk with her with a little motion of her head; this way, dear.
182 Posts
Ooc — cas
The blush that coloured Saarthal's pale cheeks was entirely unexpected and involuntary, but Reiko, or the Reiko-lookalike suddenly become so close? and Saar was not ready for it. Her heart was hammering against her ribcage and a strange slightly uncomfortable (but not entirely uncomfortable) sensation trickled its way down her spine so that imperceptibly, she shivered. This was unlike her. Well - unlike the current Saarthal, but very very like the old (or...young?) flirty Saar. 

The story was not entirely strange to Saarthal who, though raised by a conservative Christian mother which led her to question and hide her sexuality and eventually run away (damn, that was long-winded), had grown up in a rather liberal Empire where such individuals were common (though looked down upon by mother dearest). Something didn't sit quite well, though - "but he's pregnant? And if he was born a lady and wants to be called brother, surely the last thing he would want to do is pretend to be a lady?" That made little sense to Saarthal and never one to keep quiet about things which felt distinctly strange or just against her moral compass, she was not afraid to voice it. Nevertheless, she would not deny that her comments might have sprouted from a certain panicked urge rooted deep within her gut to draw attention away from the pale rosiness tinting her alabaster cheeks. 

Also, if the brother(?) had accepted her into the pack, then was her spot within the pack even valid? Was he the king? Was this wolf Reiko, the real Empress? This seemed like a real mess and truth to be told, Saar was not ready to be involved in another family drama. She had her own personal drama, and her own family drama (albeit some hundred of miles away), and just general life to deal with. She ignored the primitive squeaking voice in the back of her mind which pointed out in its characteristic know-it-all tone that Reiko smelled nice and looked nice and was nice. Like that mattered. Right? Right. Whatever. She padded forward, joining her for a walk.
57 Posts
Ooc — JB + Ghostwriters
Away
The woman mentioned a pregnancy, which Hime had thought she had covered adequately well; but an off-handed comment about a fake brother being "large" wasn't good enough. Hime did not like having to deal out too many lies. She was well versed in narrowing the scope of truth, of only saying what was necessary to get what she wished out of a person, but this one was tricky; they were probing at her comments and if probed enough, they would not hold up to scrutiny long.

I do not know what my brother thinks, or why, or how! It is all very strange, to me. Personally I think he should have been sent away, which is not a kind thought I know— Her face contorted in to mock sadness, and she summoned a sheen of tears to her eyes. I know it is confusing. We do have a Queen who is pregnant, so perhaps... Perhaps Saito's fixation has spread beyond me? He could be somehow.. Carrying on stealing our dear Queen's scents. Oh, I am so sorry. She shook her head and drew a shaky breath, blinking the "tears" away as best she could, though one fell down her cheek.

Feeling the wetness there, Hime moved in close to Saarthal again and lightly dabbed her cheek against the other woman's shoulder. I am such a mess. How very... Inappropriate of me. With another sniff, Hime assumed her proper posture and tried to "compose" herself, and then resumed walking beside Saarthal with her empyrean bearing. But do not worry, your place is with us. He is a royal too, so do not be concerned. Tell me—besides this, have you fared... well?
182 Posts
Ooc — cas
Yes, that wasn't a particularly nice thought and for a moment, Saarthal felt almost repulsed. But, that was hypocritical of her - it was not fair for her to say such things when she had also, on other occasions, behaved or thought similar things (though never about this particular matter), and so she remained silent, trapped and mulling over various trains of thoughts wandering through her mind, some several light-years detached from the topic at hand.

Reiko (though Saar still had her suspicions...there was a nagging feeling that things did not exactly add up) leaned close and touched her, and Saarthal was jolted out of her thoughts. Her heart squeaked, jostling uncontrollably within her ribcage and she tried not to think about...well, anything. "It's alright," she said instead, even though nothing was alright in the slightest. "Though I do think he's pregnant - his condition is not that of general largeness." Matter-of-fact. Definitely uncharacteristic - Saarthal was the most emotionally driven of her siblings. 

"I'm good," Saar replied with a sideways glance at her companion, a touch of a smile tracing the shape of her lips, "are you okay?" Pretty Empress seemed a little strange in an almost comical way. Something didn't sit right. Though Saar would now admit, she didn't care much. 
57 Posts
Ooc — JB + Ghostwriters
Away
She didn't bother journeying back in to the chaos of that complicated lie, and just shrugged it off when Saarthal mentioned a possible pregnancy. Whatever Hime's imaginary brother was up to no longer concerned her - it felt like it had been adequately covered. 

Oh, I'm fine. I'm better with company, she murmurs with a little wink, brushing against the pale woman as they walked. I worry about our numbers, of course. Our food situation, the politics between our home and other packs... Being an Empress is such hard work, especially without any handmaidens to help me. Here she draws a deep sigh, looking at the sky dreamily. First world problems, or something.
182 Posts
Ooc — cas
"I love company," Saarthal replied somewhat coquettishly, "especially company like you." Hopefully, that made sense. There were moments when even Saar herself was aware of the sheer absurdity which seemed to make up the essence of some of her sentences. But, that was a story for another time. Handmaidens? What the bloody hell were those? Saarthal was beginning to realise that this so-called Empire of theirs was not like the Empire she was used to back home. Theirs was strange...not militaristic but...she didn't know how to describe it. There were obviously elements which were similar or at least the same, but there were also things that were massively different like handmaidens. Were they some kind of prostitute? Probably not, probably not. But still...were they? She didn't want to sound stupid by asking but also what the hell were they? "Handmaidens?" There, an inquiry, a curious tilt to the head, the shadow of a cheeky smile - that was a compromise.
57 Posts
Ooc — JB + Ghostwriters
Away
Was that a serious question? While Hime had been concerned about the lack of handmaidens, she really should have been focused on the intelligence of her sister's chosen; even their peasants did not fully comprehend the inner workings on this kingdom! It really was a testament to Reiko's faults, and further instilled within Hime this desire to "make the empire great again," although, it did not seem that "great" to begin with.

A handmaiden, she began to outline with care, is a caretaker to the queen, or to the empress. Someone who is devoted to their leader, who can help them manage some of the day-to-day tasks. She made sure not to include mention of servitude, although that's exactly what she was outlining. Someone to serve her, to feed her, to seek out the best locations for lounging in the sun, to keep her coat well quoffed, and most importantly — someone who would be seen yet not heard. 

You will adapt to life within the empire, Hime murmured next, a smile offered to the other woman. Perhaps in time I will come to trust you, and we will be friends. You would make an excellent handmaiden, though, truthfully you are too... plain she was eager to point out, but didn't. —too pretty, and I fear that would draw the eye of my husband.
182 Posts
Ooc — cas
A caretaker, devoted to the leader, day-to-day tasks. Though a respectful smile continued to adorn Saarthal's face, she felt a deep distinct disgust worm its way through her body. So, a handmaiden was essentially a glorified servant to the Empress? Noctem Vagus was many things, but its rulers had never required servants from their people and the fact that such a role existed felt deeply wrong to Saarthal. She voiced none of this out loud, however, though a niggling thought flickered into existence and nagged the back of her mind: had she chosen the wrong pack, after all? Her path was not that of servitude, that much she knew. And would always know. Even Reiko's remark of Saarthal's 'prettiness' - which at another time would have reduced Saar into a blushing mess - flew straight past her ears. Instead, a faint shadow of a smile curled the edges of her lips as she regarded the other wolf."Does it draw your eye?" she enquired softly, perhaps subtly teasing though she left that up to interpretation. She would not be a handmaiden but...perhaps there was another role she could play.
57 Posts
Ooc — JB + Ghostwriters
Away
The feelings of others - especially those that were beneath her - rarely affected Hime. She knew what she wanted out of life and could figure out a way to get it, whether that involved stepping on a few peasants or those in the nobility hardly mattered. It would have suited her purpose to have maidens at the ready; people devoted solely to her and all the machinations of her heart. So to say she remained ignorant to the disgust in Saarthal was an understatement. Even if Saarthal spoke openly about how she felt, Hime would brush it off as being "out of touch," or in some way disrespectful of the Empire, and that would be that.

Thankfully no such opposition was voiced. What came next was a surprise - and led to Hime's cheeks flooding with warmth. Does it draw your eye? Saarthal murmured in reference to the compliment Hime had bestowed. Had she truly been Reiko then maybe, maybe, there would have been a chance for flirting in earnest. Hime could only assume her sister was as open about her body as those she surrounded herself with, and while it did not suit her at all, she was playing a role, and would have to bend this somehow to suit her desires.

The flush played well for Hime, who looked sheepishly away, letting out a light breathy laugh. She looked shyly upon the pale woman, and while she wanted to yell for the guards or outright denounce this foul girl for even vaguely hinting at such indescretions such as her queer leanings, she could not do so. Instead Hime (expertly covering her bigotry with a feigned amount of embrassment and shyness) looked coquettish, stealing a glance or two. Well... That would... Be quite improper for the Empress, miss, but she did lean in a little bit closer.
182 Posts
Ooc — cas
The blush that flooded the other woman's cheeks did not evade Saarthal's keen glance and she swallowed a smile. It had been too long since she had flirted with someone...she had almost forgotten how fun it was. That was all she used to do, wasn't it? Run around dozens and dozens of territories just flirting with whoever came along. Fun times. All that suppression. In any case, none of that worked out for her in the end. Here she was, in some poor imitation of an Empire, alone, friendless and loveless. Classic.

Improper. Where had she heard that before? It had begun with Mother dearest, hadn't it? And then it had manifested in the expressions of strangers, on the tongues of unknown men and women. She had never been able to get rid of it. Idiots, the lot of them. "Perhaps. But, are you proper?" she asked, giving the other woman a searching stare, lips quirked in a shadow of a smirk and glanced away.
57 Posts
Ooc — JB + Ghostwriters
Away
Deep down, this entire affair was wretched and unnatural to Hime. She was opportunistic of course - taking care to bat her lashes or flush her cheeks or steal glances where such behavior may benefit her. Playing such games could aid her down the line; she needed allies in this Empire, and a wayward girl afflicted with sexual frustration was as convenient as any man. 

A small twist to the corners of her mouth as she hears Saarthal's quip. Softly she draws her face closer to the pale woman and seems to investigate the plush of her fur, her breath a whisper, as if she wants to touch her but is conflicted. Hime draws back at the last moment, her eyes twinkling with a mixture of embarrassment, curiosity, and a bashful sort of mischief, and then steps away.

Not always. She murmurs softly over her shoulder in Reiko's lilting voice, departing from her present company as if she has somewhere else she must be; but as she gets further, she pauses and glimpses back, stealing a final glance before prancing away.