Little Goat Mountain Finding my Feet
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Private 
For @Mustang

Malila and her new traveling companion headed west, just as intended. On her own for the very first time in her life, without her mother or any pack mates by her side, the teenager was a little on edge. Some her age may be excited for this new form of freedom, but not her. She was so used to a sheltered life. Of having a home. Of having others look out for her. The butter cream and chocolate girl knew next to nothing of surviving in the wilderness. A nervous little glance, but one that came with a sheepish smile towards her...friend, did comfort her in knowing she wasn't totally alone.

"...And that is why I chose not to turn back." She concluded, after a lengthy tale composed of her time during Rivenwood, her emotions there and lack of any true attachments. "Something just told me I had to move on. It wasn't the same after my mom left." Her mismatched eyes slid shut, ears falling back. "I don't know where she is now." She sniffled. "Everyone left...my dad, my brother...everyone I knew in the pack I was born in..." Her stomach grumbled, sending a shooting pang of hunger through her. Dismally, she looked at the scattered hoof prints ahead. She didn't even know how to hunt large game properly.
11 Posts
Ooc — Box
Mustang listened aptly. He always did, just like momma had always told him to before giving him a little cuff over the back o’the head for not. He gave a little whistle when Malia finished, wincing as he swung his eyes over the mountain they were currently climbing.

Sounds like a real tough time. ‘Msorry you had to go through that. She didn’t know where her mom was, and truthfully, Mustang didn’t either.

My momma’s somewhere back south, I hope. Don't really know where mah sister and brother are. Never met my paw... He sighed. Then, his attention snapped to the side at the low grumble of a stomach, before seeking out the smaller woman’s eyes.

Ya hungry? I could try’n rustle us up some grub? Truthfully, Mustang didn’t know much about hunting. He survived the past winter on scraps.
speaks with an incredibly thick southern US accent

175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
"It..it hurts now, I think, because I have never been in this situation before. It ain't what I'm used to." She sifted back through her memories. "I barely remember my father, except that he was a kind man. And my brother...just that he was deep brown, with evergreen eyes. I often wonder what he might look like now." An ear turned towards him. At least he knew where his mother was. "What were they like? Your mother and siblings?" She pried gently, curious.

Her rumbling tummy hadn't gone unnoticed. Under the golden cream fur of her cheeks, her skin flushed. "Y-yeah. I can't even remember a hunting lesson before." She lowered her nose to the ground, sniffing around the tracks. "I could help. They say...the best way to learn is to try..."
11 Posts
Ooc — Box
Mustang let his eyes fall into the middle distance, mind sliding back over old memories with a soft sigh.

My momma’s name was Bluebell. She was the most upstandin’ woman I ever did know. Smart, resourceful, and kind as the winter is long. She taught us everythin’ she knew and more. My siblin’s were Colt and Marea. Colt...Colt got taken from us when he was young, so I don’t remember much’a him. Marea was always in a right snit about thin’s. She wanted to get out and see everythin, she was pushy and loud but she was my sister and I wouldnt’a given her up for the world. He said, voice getting softer the more he spoke, before he shook the melancholy off like it was swamp water.

I hunted but...admittedly not too great at it. Think I got lucky mor’n anything.

175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Silent, she listened to the details of his family. Of his mother, his two siblings. Her silence remained a moment longer. "Your mother sounds wonderful, like mine. Her name is Speedy and she is a medic. A herbalist. I aspired to be like her and to learn as much as I could. Which is not a lot, with all that had happened." Her ears flitted back. "I think...my brother may have gone off in search of my dad..."

A short ways ahead of them, on the gentle slope of the hill like mountain they were on, figures could be made out in the distance, slowly making their way back towards higher elevation. Bighorn sheep, easily identifiable with their horns on their heads. Males and females and even youngsters. Malila paused, visibly curious. "I...don't think I've ever seen these animals before..."
11 Posts
Ooc — Box
The sheep caught his attention immediately, the golden young man lowering his body to the ground as the hairs of his chest brushed the rock.

Ah’seen em before…never hunted em though. He murmured to the smaller woman, eyes lightly narrowing to observe the little herd move.

I’m..not quite sure how to hunt ‘em. Big game was not his forte.