Mount Apikuni roots
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
All Welcome 
For @Acheron and @Veran.

Malila and her companion, Veran, continued adrift. With her very first heat behind her without incident, she felt she could breathe easier. That didn't stop Veran from sticking to her side, like he had promised. She never strayed far. At most, always within earshot or a short howl away. Her legs were fidgety. She wanted to keep moving and explore. This nook of the Sunspire Mountains wasn't one she had much investigated before.

Before the pair of wayward travelers, the looming mountainside stood. Half covered with healthy trees, half scarred and scorched. She stood at it's base, brows pinched in contemplation. Her tail cut through the air in sharp, slow sweeps. She wasn't entirely sure if she wanted to try climbing it, or if to go around.

Giving Veran an inquisitive look, she held off for his take of it. Until a definite choice was made, she saw no harm in poking around. Slowly, on delicate paws, she began to pace around it's perimeter, nose to the ground. Her eyes were alert for anything that stuck out. Especially anything edible. Another glance at the debris scattered mountain gave her the feeling that not much of anything lived here.
133 Posts
Ooc — hela
Acheron liked the freedom of wandering on his own. He had no one to answer to or consider when making decisions. He did miss his family, of course, and having them to care for. But for now, he was mostly content.

He explored the base of the mountain for something to eat or plants to carry to the small, hollowed out log he was pulling around. He kept important medicines in there just in case he hurt himself or came upon someone that was injured. 

A familiar scent made him freeze. Mom? It smelled so much like her, but with closer inspection, he could pick out the subtle differences. He knew immediately it belonged to a sibling. 

Acheron tracked it to the source and was frozen in place for a few moments. He hadn't seen her since she was tiny, but he still knew her. His baby sister. Malila? he finally said. And then he could say nothing else.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
@Veran, jump in whenever you want. <3

So far, she found nothing of interest. There were only a set of tracks belonging to a rabbit, but the scent was old. The little animal was likely long gone or tucked away neatly in the safe confines of a burrow. There were plenty of little plants and a few flowers about, newly sprouted thanks to spring. Malila eyed them, her lost passion flickering.

Then a voice called out her name. A masculine voice, not belonging to her sweet Veran. She straightened, flinching slightly. A quick turn of her head pinpointed the origin. A white male with brown ear tips and freckling. He seemed to recognize her. She squinted, trying to place his scent. It was familiar but not. Just as were the blues of his eyes. "Who...are you?" She asked, tilting her head slightly.
215 Posts
Ooc —
veran was nothing more than a backdrop to malila as the stranger called to her. her heat had faded, nothing had come from anything. all was well.

so why did he still feel a protective steeliness?

regardless he remained silent, no more than a yard behind her. heron blue eyes fixed upon the male.

he may have known malila but it sounded like she didn't know him, or maybe she wanted to forget him. what if he was a mereo wolf?
133 Posts
Ooc — hela
He hadn't stopped to consider that she would have no idea who he was. He knew his mom would have spoken of him and his sisters, but Malila and Mohe wouldn't have any idea what they looked like. He had startled her, and he felt guilty. His gaze left hers only briefly as he noticed the presence of another—a man. Protectiveness swelled in his chest as he considered what this guy was doing with his baby sister. He offered him a nod in greeting anyway, not wanting to cause issues right now.

It's me, Acheron; your older brother. he answered. Shit, I haven't seen you since you were tiny; you were barely even walking. But now, she was all grown up. he suddenly wished he had been around more, but he knew he couldn't change the past. Besides, he was here now, and Acheron had no intention of losing contact with her.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Where she went, Veran followed. So it was today, now. Her ears flitted back in his direction, acknowledging his silent presence. The stranger spoke, announcing himself as Acheron. And not a stranger at all. Her older brother! Her mismatched eyes widened in surprise, her mouth forming a gentle O shape. No wonder he smelled vaguely familiar.

For a few seconds she stared through him. In her minds eye she desperately tried to revive memories from her earliest days. She could only recall glimpses of his white and brown accented figure. Everything else was a blur. "Acheron? Yes...I do remember you. But not well. I was so tiny back then..."

Her posture relaxed. His blue eyes were like the single one her father had. She glanced back at Veran, smiling. She knew he was guarded. She could sense it rippling off him. A gesture of her muzzle encouraged him closer. "This is Veran. He and I have been traveling together for some time." 
215 Posts
Ooc —
tentative, guarded, mindful.

there was a bond here that he was left out of and it soured him deeply. still he drifted closer when malila summoned him. soft blue eyes a clash against strong stone blue ones. it did not matter if they were family or not, veran felt...dejected. out of the loop.

hello, he offered. there was no point in giving his own name when malila had already done the honors.
133 Posts
Ooc — hela
They had been traveling together. Acheron wondered if there was more to them than travel buddies, but he kept that to himself for now. He wasn't sure how his sister would feel about him playing the protective older brother after all this time. He felt protective of her anyway. 

When Veran joined them and offered a greeting, the Ostrega nodded in return. How are you? he asked his sister, returning his focus to her. Have you been traveling long? He would give this guy, Veran, some credit for keeping Malila safe at least.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
She could sense the slight tension buzzing between the two males. And understandably so. One her lover, the other her blood. It was only natural each would feel protective. Malila sent Veran a meaningful look, something soft settling in her eyes. Asking him not to be hurt or to take her brother's skepticism to heart. 

Back to Acheron. She smiled, tail waving gently. "I am well enough. I went through a rocky patch, but that is behind me now." She opted to save the details of her recent past for another conversation. "A couple of weeks, nearing a month." Was her estimated answer. "I am enjoying it."

Her soft brows furrowed, a flurry of thoughts and questions coming to the forefront of her mind. The curiosity and confusion was there on her face. She stepped closer, inquisitive. "Where...where have you been all this time?" There was no accusation in her voice. Just the need for answers. "And the others? Our family...have you seen any of them?"
215 Posts
Ooc —
skippable for now

veran did not care for much of any of this. the way he was given only a nod before the man moved along, the way he felt so disconnected suddenly. malila had been his lifeline these last few weeks. now he felt...removed.

he had tried to be involved.

it had failed.

he would drift back a few steps once more, keeping an eye out for something better while they...caught up. whatever it was siblings did.
133 Posts
Ooc — hela
A rocky patch? Acheron wanted to know what she meant by that, but she changed the subject quickly, to where he had been and if he had seen the rest of the family. 

I was at mom's family's home for a while. Mom and @Emrik showed up a few months ago, and she's been training me as a healer. Something happened to Emrik, he lost his memories and mom brought him home to try and heal him. He wasn't sure how much of this she already knew.