Golden Glade A ghost resurfaced
32 Posts
Ooc — Amaguq
Read Only 
He was laid on the dried foliage bed for some time, savoring a moment of placidity. His sole eye attempted to the leaves as they gently fall. How long as it been? Many moons. Far too many. Indeed, much had changed in the years since Amaguq had last been seen, slogging through the foul marshes with mud-covered paws and a wrinkled nose.
Oddly enough, he hadn't strayed far from where he was last seen. Having escaped the swamps’ treacherous embrace, he followed the rivers south, eventually entering a forest of cedar and fir. He decided to stay put for a while and has been prowling the patch of forest between Cedar Sweep and Golden Glade ever since, always on a never-ending quest to fill his stomach.

The beauty of Golden Glade at this time of year lives up to its name: bright orange maple leaves carpeted the woodland’s floor, swirling at the slightest breeze. The white bark trunks were left with bare branches reaching skywards, twisting and snapping with the wind. To the south, Nimbus Summit could be seen, imposing and majestic, its peak crowned with clouds.
But as beautiful as the place is, it is also fraught with danger. Amaguq has new scars adorning his lanky frame, but the most notorious were the result of the only time he had attempted to climb the mountain. As an explorer, he sought the view from the summit. But his goal soon shifted: Amaguq discovered a herd of mountain goats living on the steepest cliffs. The thought of hunting one of these herbivores was a wild reverie, regardless of how agile Amaguq remained at his age. An alternative soon presented itself: as he padded up the mountain, he found the remains of a carcass, parts of a goat scattered about. His nose immediately led him to the body remnants of the torn-out carcass, and the wolf eagerly approached to chew on the fleshy bones. He didn't get more than a taste before he heard a hellish growl. It came from a creature unlike any he had ever seen before: even in the distance, it displayed a large, muscular body supported by big paws baring sharp, curved claws; the strong neck held the round head low, its mesmerizing green eyes glaring at him with murderous intent. With a menacing expression, the beast hissed, blowing warm, foul breath as it displayed an impressive set of sharp fangs.
Amaguq growled back.

An exchange of threats followed, the two seemingly locked in a stalemate. But then, in a sudden burst of energy, the creature snapped out of its passive state, leapt effortlessly across the uneven terrain, and covered the distance between them at lightning speed! There was no time for thought: the terrain was not in the wolf's favour, and Amaguq had no choice but to flee. He ran downhill, the sound of his heart pounding against his eardrums. In his panic, the wolf slipped and fell.
When Amaguq's golden eye met the shadow of the strange animal again, it seemed satisfied as it peered down at Amaguq's fallen body from the top of a cliff.
Amaguq had fled the battle, but the strife was far from over. The whole experience had left him with a nasty scratch on the bridge of his nose, several bruises and a broken carpal bone in his right front leg. He had to limp back to the Glade on three legs.

For the next few months, he struggled to keep moving and endured excruciating pain. Rest was a luxury he couldn't afford. The bone eventually healed, leaving a calcified lump near his wrist that still hurts when he leans on it. After such an intimate encounter with death, he decided never to attempt the prowess again, leaving the summit as a mirage of a colossal guardian watching over the surrounding forests.

Meanwhile, in the woods, Amaguq still has plenty of neighbors to keep an eye out for: black bears prowl the place from time to time, sniffing for berries and beehives planted high in the trees; foxes yowl constantly around the place, badgers wander around to snack on mushrooms that sprout near the base of the trees; smaller mustelids can be spotted snaking about in search for hares and mice. On rare occasion, lynxes could also make a shy appearance from time to time, sometimes with tuffs of rabbit fur stuck to their whiskers. In short, competition is fierce in this heavenly grove. While there are squirrels hopping up and down the trees, and rabbits breeding like... well, rabbits, all the other creatures will be lurking by, waiting for an opportunity.

Amaguq had become strangely accustomed to his neighbors and their endeavors, as they struggle to take the test of survival that had been bestowed on them, and Amaguq himself, in return for the splendid scenery.
Another day in paradise... Amaguq thought wryly, as he stretched his body, heading for a random tree to pee. A badger passing in the distance stopped to stare at him shamelessly. Amaguq responded with an evil grin and arched his leg even higher.
32 Posts
Ooc — Amaguq
The sun adds a ghostly glow to Amaguq's snow-white fur, softly waving in the cool breeze.
He was striding along the golden paths that meander through the trees towards the nearest water source, when an obnoxious chirping made him halt: such a frenzied melody could only be a harbinger of battle, or an anthem for the fallen. Amaguq followed his ears, and drifted off his course.
The sounds grew higher and more livid. And then, he spotted something falling from the treetops, right at his feet. He blinked twice and pointed his nose to the foreign object: small, soft, colorful...

Bloody.

Beheaded.

"Yes! Off with its head!" Indeed, the creature's missing head was in the beak of another bird perched above the wolf's head. Amaguq didn't know whether to be confused or utterly amazed. For the bird was not an eagle or a falcon: it was a loud and vibrant blue jay, chirping in victory.
The white wolf lowered his nose to the carcass: its white chest was stained with dark blood, but Amaguq could see the traces of a patch of vermilion feathers that had once provided a vivid contrast of colour. The exposed base of the small bird's neck showed a messy gash of punctured flesh and torn feathers.

So this is what happens when you peck the head off one of your peers.

Amaguq opened his mouth to swallow the bird whole, when something else dripped from above: poop!
"Here! Spice! Ahah!" The jay shrieked. Amaguq nearly vomited.
"What the hell has he done to you?" Amaguq asked, sneezing the stench from his nostrils.
"He stole my food! My seeds! That regal fat jackass spent his days sleeping in a golden nest, acting like a king! And while I was out there foraging, that guy was gorging himself on MY finds! No more!" The jay then hung the grossbeak's head from a sharp branch in the tree.
It was meant to rot there, mangled, with its tongue hanging out and  eyeless holes weeping blood.
"Hey, white wolf!" The blue jay called. "I need to... restock my pantry, and I may have an idea that will benefit us both."
"You dare ask me for help after shitting on my snack?" Amaguq growled.
"Squirrels might be a bit more to your taste, no? Besides, the guy didn't taste all that good. The point is, I want seeds for my supply, and you, skinny as you are, might be interested in stuffing your mouth with those pesky rodents."
"What? Will you behead them for me?" The wolf was angry at the thought of being an instrument for a tiny bird that was less than a snack for his stomach. But he couldn't deny that he was intrigued at the same time.
"All right, I'll bite: what do you want?"
"I want you to hunt them, of course! Squirrels have their own hiding places. If they are unfortunate enough to die, well..."
"You can steal their seeds." Amaguq reasoned.
"No! Not rob! Claim! Tssk, foolish wolf! Everyone knows you can't rob the dead! But you can as well bring me their heads as a proof of your deeds! I think five of them will make a fine ornament for my tree. And everyone will think I did it! Ahah!"
32 Posts
Ooc — Amaguq
Amaguq bitterly obliged the blue jay's request. On a still night, the wolf meandered through the forest among the pale trees, raiding squirrel nests within reach. It was difficult to find holes in the trunks wide enough to accommodate a family of rodents, which he could reach by standing on his hind legs. On the other hand, he could easily snatch those he found while they were asleep.

Still, sometimes he felt like a complete idiot: it would be much easier to dig rabbits out of their burrows.

Was it worth the effort? Probably not... But he digressed. For he was a vengeful bastard, a wolf with a plan. The squirrels he gnawed down to their necks were not his target: his prey was the little blue bastard in the trees. Only the sound of its tiny bones snapping between his teeth would satisfy him.
32 Posts
Ooc — Amaguq
The white wolf returned to the blue jay trophy tree with the promised loot: he hurried to place the five squirrel heads in a perfectly shaped pile.
"Hey, jay! Show yourself!" He barked.
The blue bird leapt from the canopy into a branch, flapping its wings so excitedly that some of its feathers rained languidly down on the wolf.
"Oh boy! You really did it!" He laughed, puffing out his chest.
Amaguq resisted the impulse to lash out madly. He licked his muzzle, imagining the taste of the raucous critter. "Indeed. I must say, it was a very good idea: I get to fill my belly," he lied, "and now I am quite curious to see how these pristine rodent heads will look on that branch."
"Oh, I bet they'll look lovely! Ah! I'll be the most badass bird in the region! The ladies will flock around me like bees around a honeycomb! Ahahah!"
"Well, what are you waiting for?" Amaguq asked, tail waving softly. "You can't possibly expect me to hang the heads in your stand, can you?"
"No, of course not!" The blue jay replied ironically. "I'll tend to it... Once you fuck off!"
Amaguq's blood boiled with rage."Let's see how you talk after I've made a snack of your trophies!" He growled. "You can kiss the ladies goodbye!" The wolf opened his jaws wide, showing his sharp fangs, ready to devour  the bloody bundle.
"NO!"A high-pitched scream echoed through the forest. "WAIT! Look, I take it back, OK? No hard feelings!"
"Say you're sorry and I'll leave you to your con show." Amaguq demanded.
"What?"
"You heard me: say it, nicely, and I'll be off."
The bird ruffled its bright blue feathers and doubled its volume. "In your dreams, you sack of fleas!"
The last thing the jay should have said: the wolf snapped. He lunged blindly at the tree, scratching, snarling, mouthing the air!
As for the irritating bright blue bird, it looked down at the wolf and laughed at his flamboyant show from the safety of a high branch. 

After a while, Amaguq acknowledged his futile effort and stood motionless for a while, staring at the bird in complete silence.
Then he turned and walked away, but not before lifting a leg to let a golden stream flow over the five heads.
"Hey, HEY! What the hell! NO! STOP!!" The bird fretted.

"Oh, don't mind me! I'm just putting the finishing touches on these beautiful ornaments! Good luck lifting them off the ground!"
Amaguq walked away, deaf to the bird's relentless insults, and disappeared behind the ferns.

Grinning.
32 Posts
Ooc — Amaguq
A thick mist rose from the forest floor. The wolf hadn't been seen for a few hours, so the blue jay swooped down from the tree to inspect the rotten heads. The wolf had done a very good job for such massive jaws. The problem was... the stench!
"I can't believe that dog! It stinks!" The Jay stuck out his tongue in utter disgust. "Who says I can't lift them?! Fool!" With determination in his voice, the dainty corvid grabbed one of the heads by the ears, flapped his wings furiously and finally carried it to the branch.
"Ah! I did it! I did it!" He congratulated himself and, with renewed confidence, swooped down again to retrieve the rest, one by one.

The blue jay couldn't be more wrong: Amaguq has been circling the place all along, hiding under the misty veil, waiting for the moment when the bird would be defeated by its own pride. Just as he predicted!

Amaguq let the bird gain confidence and decided to move forward when it came down to fetch the third trophy. He was pleased to see the creature's feathers ruffle with a chill, and when it swallowed nervously before slowly turning its head: only to to see the wolf's glittering eye peering through the white curtain of fog. With a high-pitched chirp, the blue jay leapt towards the canopy, flapping its wings frenetically; but it was too late and it hadn't gained enough height to escape the white ghostly wolf as he pounced, trapping it under his paws.

The blue jay let out an awful scream that haunted the maple woods:
"AHH! MY WING! You broke MY WING!" The jay cried.
Sure, Amaguq could just swallow it whole and be done with it, but what fun would that be?  The wolf grinned, amused by the panicked critter, feeling its life force as it struggled to free itself: he could feel its vocal cords vibrating as it shrieked, its tiny lungs hyperventilating, its heart racing madly. What joy!
"Not so tough now, are you?" The wolf breathed to the jay's horror. "Well, I know I'm a big bad wolf, but I promise you that I'll do my best to keep you alive while I break your other wing and every last bone in your ridiculously small body!" He growled.