Redhawk Caldera You cuff yours and then leash it
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Recovery was dreadfully boring, though at least it seemed to be going well. There was no fever, nor any other symptoms indicating an infection, which was a great stroke of luck, especially considering the resident Healer's recent vanishing act. If he kept taking it easy for a little while longer, he would probably mend with nothing but some cool scars to show for it. He would wear them proudly, like a badge indicating the sacrifices he would happily make for home and family.

Feeling particularly restless, Peregrine could not sit still in the den today and took a very slow, meandering walk around the area immediately adjacent to the den. He hobbled past the nearby cache, nibbled the leg off a rabbit, then began shuffling back. He chose a clean spot of snow and sat gingerly. Unwilling to drop the leg (bending over would be too painful), he gnawed it awkwardly.

His mind wandered. He wished he was more mobile. The Alpha wanted to drop in on @Somnia to see how she was doing after Ashton's disappearance; catch up with both @Finley and @Elwood; and make sure the likes of @Theseus, @Grimm and @Prima were still around. With two couples and some change down for the count, Peregrine just wanted to make sure the pack wasn't about to fall apart just in time for the puppies' birth. Hell, he even wanted to check up on @Magpie and see if she was busily redeeming herself...
527 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
It would be fun if a whole horde of Redhawkians joined in due to the tags. Plus, I like your tracker! :)

Every day it became clearer that Ashton was gone. While it negatively affected Somnia by causing her to brood about it quite a bit in her alone time, she wouldn't let it stop her from being an active part of the pack. If anything, his disappearance meant that she had to do a little bit more for the pack. While the motivation to start doing it was a little hard to come by, it was a good distraction once she got started. But sometimes, the task didn't prove to be enough of a distraction.

When Somnia set out today, she had planned on hunting. When she couldn't find anything, she took a short break. ...Well, it was supposed to be that way. Once she had sat down, her mind had wandered back to Ashton. Thinking about him caused her to get up and start pacing. What if something had killed him outside of pack boundaries?

With trying to figure out any possible reasons for his absence that didn't have him at fault, the pacing got worse. Somnia dimly realized that she was pacing, but didn't realize how off course she had gotten until she caught sight of Peregrine. "Oh!" She gasped, her mind scrambling to figure out how long she had been distracted.

"Hi..." Somnia spoke without thinking. Well, she couldn't randomly disappear from the immediate area and escape conversation now. She took a few steps towards Peregrine before realizing the condition he was in. "What happened?" She asked, dashing to his side to examine the injuries. Even if she wasn't a healer, she wanted to make sure he wasn't about to die from his injuries.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
I figured El would probably know about the lynx, but let me know if you want me to change that. :)

Only a few weeks ago, Redhawk Caldera had been veritably bursting at the seams. Now, their numbers had dwindled, and while it bothered Elwood a bit, he recalled the first month that he had been a member of the pack. The group had been small to begin with, and while they had lost both their healer and counselor, there were still a handful of able-bodied and capable wolves left.

Presently, he wasn't far from the Alphas' den, and when he heard Somnia's voice he changed course. He soon came upon his two friends, and he sidled up to Somnia with an affectionate bump to her shoulder. His first instinct was to ask her how she was doing in the wake of Ashton's disappearance -- they had talked briefly a few weeks ago about how the medic had been scarce, but there was no question of his absence now. But he held his tongue, sensing that she would share her emotions when she was ready.

Directing his gaze at Peregrine's injured shoulders, he asked, "How are you feeling?" Presumably, Elwood was aware of Peregrine and FitzDutiful's run-in with the lynx; he couldn't help but feel angry at Ashton for his poor timing. It sounded like Somnia hadn't heard the story yet, though, so he waited for Peregrine to explain to the Gamma.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Yay, thanks for joining, both of you! I'm 100% fine with El knowing about it already. :)

As if summoned by his thoughts or possibly his silent will, Somnia and Elwood appeared. Peregrine's tail wagged and he swallowed the rest of the leg in one giant gulp. He motioned for them to come closer, since he wasn't able to move forward to close the gap. Everything about his body language was open and welcoming.

"I'm so glad you two are here. Being incapacitated sucks!" he said, then realized how selfish he was being. "Som..." he began, though she seemed more interested in his personal issues than her own. "Oh, Duty and I fought off a lynx at the borders. I busted its eye out. It was awesome... except for these," he added with a little wince. The wounds spoke for themselves.

"How are you, though?" he asked gently, exchanging a glance with Elwood. He didn't mean to ignore the Beta, yet he felt Elwood would more than understand why he wanted to focus on the Gamma first.
527 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
Busting lynx's eyes out sounded like a bunch of fun. Maybe it was a bit gory and disgusting, but at the same time the achievement held an odd, predatory satisfaction in Somnia's mind. The resulting wounds did seemed a bit worrisome, but they looked as if they would heal with time... Unlike the lynx's blindness in one eye socket.

Her gaze dropped to the ground for a moment as he questioned her health. "Fine..." She answered, a grimace on her face. While the aspiring Counselor wanted to do everything she could to help others with their issues, letting others help with her own issues was off-limits. Somnia wanted to help others, not burden them with herself! The result of being asked about her problems was deflection once again.

"I'm doing fine," she repeated, her gaze rising to meet Peregrine's face with a frown on her own. Now came the deflection, the sudden segue. "I assume things between you and Fox are all patched up. What about Magpie? Is she staying?" Then, Somnia turned her head to look at Elwood. "Have you met Magpie? You joined a couple days before me, and I believe she left around the time I joined."
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
As Peregrine explained to Somnia where his injuries had come from, Elwood wondered if it was the same feline that he and Finley had tracked recently. Either way, it wasn't a good sign for the pack; it meant that there was one troublesome cat, or multiple. Both scenarios caused Elwood's stomach to turn, and he reminded himself that he needed to double up on patrolling the borders with Peregrine laid up and Fox likely taking it easy, as well.

He shifted his gaze to Somnia, his expression softening. Peregrine asked the million dollar question that had also been on the Beta's mind. He hadn't seen as much of Somnia since Ashton's disappearance, though it was completely understandable if she desired some alone time. He was glad that she was here now.

She insisted that she was fine, which didn't surprise him. Underneath her tough exterior, he could see that she was hurting, but she swiftly changed the subject. Elwood wasn't going to press the matter, so he leaned over just far enough to bump Somnia gently and affectionately with his hip, then joined the conversation with a shake of his head. "No, I haven't met her yet," he replied, though he was certainly curious to get to know Magpie. He wanted to catch up with Finley, too, and see how their excursion across the wilds had been, but hadn't connected with her since she had returned.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
It was painfully clear that Somnia didn't want to talk about it. Peregrine understood and respected that, though he said, "If you want to talk about it with anybody, I'm sure I can speak for both of us..." He briefly make eye contact with Elwood. "And say that we're here to listen." He left it at that, though, not wanting to make his Gamma feel uncomfortable or put on the spot.

He gave the Beta male the chance to reply to Somnia's query, then answered hers. "Yeah, she's staying. It turns out she's Fox's sister. I haven't been avoiding her, per se, but I haven't seen her since that day," Peregrine said, giving Somnia a meaningful look. "Sorry for putting you in that position, by the way. And for running off like that. I thought it was best at the time but..." He looked at both of them, his jade eyes apologetic.

There was no need to linger on sore subjects, though. "Guys, the pups will be here so soon. Are you ready to be aunts and uncles? Are you ready to be Caretaker numero uno?" he said to Somnia directly, hoping to cheer her a little. He waggled his eyebrows at her. "Oh," he realized after a beat, "Is it cool if they call you Aunt Som?" It would take the whole pack to raise the litter, really, but he wanted his top three (Fin, El and Som) to have this special honor in particular.
527 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
Somnia gave a slight nod to show she heard and understood Perry's first statement. If she wanted to talk about it she would come to one of them. But for now, she didn't want to talk about it; Somnia wanted to get through these emotions and thoughts by herself.

It seemed as if the only wolves at the Caldera who knew who Magpie was would be Peregrine, Fox, and Finley. The rest of the pack - discounting Elwood - had joined after her. With Magpie out of the pack at that point, they would've had to met her outside of the pack to know her now. Somnia would have to try and meet her sometime. But for now, she could focus at the conversation at hand. "It's all right, I don't blame you." She said. Anyway, hadn't she advised him that taking a small break from the pack could help?

Somnia's face lit up as Peregrine asked about the pups calling her Aunt Som. "I would love it!" She beamed, her tail starting to wag. "And of course I'm ready. What about you, Elwood? You ready to launch our secret plan with them about Fin?" She asked, giving Peregrine mysterious look.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
"Absolutely," Elwood agreed quickly as Peregrine offered their support. He would be there for Somnia no matter what, especially in her time of need. And he knew that she would do the same for him. But for now, she seemed relieved to let the topic of Ashton slip to the wayside, instead focusing on Magpie and the impending litter of puppies.

He looked to Peregrine as the Alpha explained that Magpie was Fox's sister. A curious turn of events, and Elwood wondered why Peregrine felt the need to avoid her. He knew that Fox had given Magpie a place to stay without consulting her mate, but it seemed as though the issue ran deeper than that. "What's the history with Magpie?" he asked, though if it was something that Peregrine didn't want to talk about, he would respect his friend's wishes.

As for the firebirds, Elwood shifted his weight eagerly, doing a little jig on the spot to show his excitement. "Uncle El, Aunt Som and Granny Fin," he crowed, grinned at Somnia. He then shifted his gaze to Peregrine and explained, "I had a slip of the tongue the other day and called Finley 'grandmother' instead of 'godmother.' So we decided that we liked that title better."
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Peregrine grinned his cheesiest grin in response to Somnia's delighted reaction. "Great!" he said, reaching out one sore leg to give her an affectionate tap. "You'll be a great role model, Aunt Som." She made a mysterious comment that seemed to include Elwood, so Peregrine did what was expected of him and gave her a playfully shifty-eyed look.

Peregrine laughed out loud when he heard Finley's latest nickname. "Whose parent is she, mine or Fox's?" he quipped, then shook his head lightly, sobered a bit and addressed the Beta's prior question: "Magpie was under Fox's care when she led Silver Creek," he said, mis-remembering his mate's previous pack's name. "They got into a fight with the Sunspire pack and they took Magpie captive. Then Fox came with me and... you know, I'm not sure of the details beyond that.

But then, not long after we decided to move, I found Magpie in bad shape. I brought her here and we gave her a home, since Fox owed her. She stayed a while, got better... then vanished. We had paid Fox's debt—a debt that had nothing to do with me or this pack—and then she just disappeared. So I wasn't happy to see her when she popped up a couple weeks ago, as you can imagine,"
he explained with a grunt and a shrug.
527 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
Somnia sat through the story silently; she had already learned the main gist of it. Even after the explanation was over she stayed silent for a moment, so Elwood could comment on it if he wished. After a long enough silence that gave Elwood plenty of tie to speak his mind on the matter, Somnia changed the topic to one that would hopefully have less negative feelings.

"Speaking of sisters," she started, "I actually met your sister a while back, Peregrine." It had been something Somnia wanted to bring up to the Alpha for a while now. With the chance in front of her - even if it meant some awkward feelings on the sudden topic change - she was going to take it.

Her visit to the Firestone Hot Springs had been fun due to the encounter of Osprey. It almost made Somnia wish that she had a sister. All she had were three prank-loving brothers that loved to get her into trouble. While the absence of them from her life wasn't exactly a good thing, it also wasn't necessarily a bad thing.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
I guess I should get back to my regularly schedule threads, haha!

The history between Magpie and the Redhawk Alphas was an extensive one, as it turned out. Elwood had suspected a lengthy explanation -- there had to be a good reason for Peregrine to have been so put off by her sudden arrival. "I can imagine that would be frustrating," Elwood agreed emphatically as Peregrine expressed his initial consternation.

Somnia then piped up to let Peregrine know that she had met his sister. The Beta shifted his gaze between his two friends, wondering how Peregrine would react to the news. Though his relationship with Blacktail Deer Plateau had been strained, it was possible that the tensions were starting to lift.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Somnia didn't comment and Elwood only made a brief remark, so Peregrine didn't vent any further. He was grateful for the subject change when the Gamma mentioned his sister. He had several of those, though only one that was the sister. The indirect mention of Osprey was met with a twitch of his lips. His sisters were cool, unlike Fox's. Osprey had left him once but she'd said goodbye first. Hmph.

"Oh, yeah? Osprey's great. I saw her not long ago myself and we... made up the most ridiculous story ever. No, I'm not going to tell it to you. I'm saving it for the Firebirds," he said with a light laugh. "How did you get on with her?" he asked, although he could guess; everyone got along with the sweet, imaginative Silver Bullet.
527 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
When Peregrine denied her the ridiculous story before she could even think of asking for it, Somnia's face turned into a teasing pout. "Awww! You're seriously making me wait until the Firebirds are old enough to talk until I can hear their twisted-up version of it?" A smile broke through the pout after her reply. That smile grew even bigger as he asked her opinion of Osprey.

"I really liked her. She makes me wish that I had a sister." No creative, amusing sisters for Somnia. Just three oafs for brothers that only held creative power in thinking of new pranks to play on their sister. As for amusing, it depended on what side of the pranks you were on.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Elwood didn't have anything relevant to add to the present conversation, but he was content just to listen to his friends. He did wish that Peregrine would tell them the story that he and Osprey had made up, but he imagined that he would hear it at some point after the firebirds were born. Maybe once the puppies had learned to speak, they would even be able to recite the tale created by their father and aunt.

He smiled as Somnia wished for a sister, thinking of Avery. They had been thick as thieves when they were young, but had grown apart as they aged. Perhaps that was why he hadn't been able to find her. For a long time, he had considered that she hadn't wanted to be found, and that idea was starting to solidify in his head.

"Did you have brothers?" he asked, unknowingly reading her mind.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
He wiggled his brows teasingly at Somnia a moment, then shook his head and assured her, "No. You can listen to it with them. I plan on regaling them the moments their ears pop," he said with a little grin. Peregrine then thought on her words and added, "But I bet they'll add some new bits and pieces to it over time. It'll be like a family odyssey or something." The Alpha male laughed at the absurdity of that.

"I wish she'd come here with me," Peregrine said when the Gamma revealed her fond opinion of Osprey, "then she could've been your pack sister, at least. But, alas..." He shrugged, then fell silent when Elwood chimed back into the conversation, asking Somnia if she had any brothers.
527 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
It would've been cool if Osprey were in the Caldera. But, fate had made a different decision on who she lived with. So, Somnia had other wolves that could be like pack sisters. Weren't they all like a family anyways? Besides the few fights here and there that ought to be expected, there was still the same desire to protect each other. Wasn't that what family was about? Caring for and protecting one another?

"I have three older brothers." Somnia answered Elwood's question. "They make this pack seem civilized in comparison." She joked. Redhawk Caldera was actually really civilized ....most of the time.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Elwood did wonder for a moment why Osprey hadn't come to the caldera with Peregrine. I feel like Perry explained it to him in a previous thread but I'm too lazy to look it up, so the thought drifted across Elwood's mind regardless. But at least she was close by; for that, he knew Peregrine was thankful.

He lifted his brows in mock offense as Somnia joked that her brothers made the Redhawk wolves seem civilized. Though they sometimes acted like heathens -- particularly Peregrine and his bodily functions... -- they were prime examples of a successful wolf pack. "Wow, three brothers," he replied, giving her a sympathetic look. "Sounds like they might have been troublemakers," he added, presenting her with an opportunity to elaborate if she wished.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
"Yeah, I smell a story," Peregrine concurred with Elwood's comments about Somnia's three uncivilized brothers. "Let's hear it." He was genuinely curious to hear more about Somnia's life prior to the caldera. Generally, he didn't give a damn about these things but when it came to his loved ones—and the Gamma had definitely carved out a little space in his heart—he found himself much more interested in his subordinates' histories.

He glanced at the Beta. He wouldn't mind hearing more about Elwood's background as well. He knew about Avery but surely there was more to his story as well. And he could always tell them all about his gigantic family back at Flightless Falcons.
527 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
Both Peregrine and Elwood prompted her to elaborate on how her brother's were. Somnia frequently rambled about things - although she often didn't mean to - so a free shot at rambling about her brothers wouldn't go unaccepted.

"Well, the way my birth pack was run is different than how the Caldera is run. There, a wolf had complete authority over those below them in the hierarchy, unless a wolf higher than them says otherwise. My three older brothers were always above me in the ranks. While they constantly challenged each other for higher ranks, I just accepted my spot at the bottom of the pecking order. They also loved bossy each other around. But, the lowest ranking one at the time couldn't boss anyone around except for me. They just loved to make me grovel in poop. Not only that, but as they didn't have to respect me, they loved to pull pranks on me, such as piling snow into the entrance of my den in winter so that it takes all morning for me to dig my way out." That seemed to be enough of a description to show how terrible they could be.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Somnia obliged their requests and began to describe her life before coming to the caldera. It was quite different than what Elwood had expected, however -- he was hoping for a humorous story, but it sounded more like her brothers actively tortured her and went out of their way to make her miserable. They might have been doing it out of fun, but their actions -- like caving in her den -- seemed more like punishments.

He frowned slightly. "They kind of sound like jerks," he said, making a judgement that was somewhat out of character. He was usually more apt to try and see someone else's perspective, but he didn't like hearing about his friend being treated so poorly, even if it was in the past.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Peregrine, too, expected a more lighthearted tale about sibling rivalry, not a grim one about cruelty and abuse. "Damn, Som," he muttered when she finished. His eyes flicked to Elwood and he nodded, then glanced back at the Gamma. "Your brothers were douchenozzles." And that was an understatement!

He fell silent a moment, then said, "Well... if you're going to be an aunt to my kids and so is Elwood—well, an uncle—then I guess that sort of makes us your brothers, right? We'll be way better bros than that old batch. Won't we, El?" Peregrine asked, nudging the Beta with an elbow.
527 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
Everyone Somnia told the tale seemed to think that her brothers were horrendous. While she could see it that way, it didn't seem so bad once you got used to it. Her immediate response was to protest their opinions, yet she held her tongue. What use would denying it be once their opinions were set in stone?

Peregrine's next words brought a smile to her face. Her tail started to wag as she spoke. "Thanks, both of you. Redhawk Caldera has already been a better family to me than my birth pack." While Somnia didn't like to admit it, it was still true.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Elwood grinned broadly as Peregrine elbowed him. He already thought of Somnia as his best friend, so she was essentially like a sister to him. No one would be as close to him as Avery had been, but even they had grown apart as they aged. Where they had once been two peas in a pod, she was totally different by the time she ran away. But he was happy to have Somnia as a sister -- she wouldn't be replacing Avery, but the whole of Redhawk Caldera was like a family.

"We may tease you a little bit, but I promise we'll be better behaved," he said with a smile. His tail twitched as she spoke of the pack's closeness and he nodded his agreement. "Not to sound cheesy or anything, but yeah, you guys are all like family to me," he added, shifting his yellow gaze between Peregrine and Somnia -- his brother and sister.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
You two are welcome to continue or conclude this; it's up to you. Thanks for the thread! :D

"Redhawk Caldera has already been a better family to me than my birth pack," said Somnia and Peregrine mulled over these words in relation to himself. Although he was somewhat loath to admit it, he had been happier these past four months at the caldera than he had ever been with Blacktail Deer Plateau or even Flightless Falcons. He still loved both of his former homes, yet this was his third and final home. It dawned on him right then and there he would never leave it... not until he died, anyway.

"I'd say group hug but it'd kill me," Peregrine joked with a playful grimace. "Will you accept a raincheck? On that note, I think I'd better get some more rest." He rolled his eyes as he said "more," as all he'd been doing lately was lying around. It was so boring! But rest did the body good. "I'll catch up with you two later, Aunt Som and Uncle El?"

After giving them a smile of parting, the Alpha male turned and shuffled toward the den. Carefully, he made his way inside and then gingerly sprawled on the floor. He sighed. He wasn't actually tired but he closed his eyes and tried counting turkeys to help him sleep. Within minutes, it worked and he was snoring.