Redhawk Caldera Listen as the wind blows from across the great divide [m]
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat

Mature Content Warning

This thread has been marked as mature. By reading and/or participating in this thread, you acknowledge that you are of age or have permission from your parents to do so.

The participants have indicated the following reason(s) for this warning: possibly graphic violence.

Peregrine woke with a start on the first day of March, his foggy jade eyes immediately seeking his week-old pups. For a second, he couldn't recall why it was so imperative to check on them, though the moment he saw only three and he remembered the events of yesterday, he felt his throat tighten. He swallowed, then bent over the three remaining puppies. They were all warm to the touch and Wildfire, naturally, squawked when he prodded her. A relieved noise escaped the father the second before he gently swept the trio away from their dozing mother's belly and squashed them against his chest.

The pups put up with his affections for a moment, though it wasn't only Wildfire that eventually began squirming and squalling in protest. Reluctantly, Peregrine nudged them back toward Fox's belly, where one by one they latched onto a teat and began to nurse. With a rueful smile, the Alpha planted a quick kiss on his mate's temple, then rose and strode from the den to take a leak and then refill the tank with a long, cold drink at the lake.

After slaking his thirst, he stood at the shore, staring over the water, for a long moment. Then he turned and gazed in the direction of the clearing where they'd buried little "Derp." He was tempted to visit the grave. Yet he found himself walking back home instead. His living pups needed him. He would be sure to drop by the grave sometime later. Peregrine had to admit he didn't feel as sad as he thought he would in the circumstances. It bothered him but it was also something of a relief.

There was a guilty look on his face when he appeared in the den's mouth. The atmosphere was so peaceful in there for once that he didn't dare disturb it. Instead, Peregrine backpedaled and took a seat just outside. He would enjoy the cool mountain air and steel himself. Even though he was not as overwrought as he could have been, the Alpha would still have to face the caldera's members and tell them the news, which would not be an easy task.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Elwood's heart was heavy. Although the Alpha pair hadn't announced their tragic loss to the entire pack yet, he was privy to the news through Finley, who had been summoned to watch the remaining three firebirds while the bereaved parents buried little Derp. The news had struck a chord; although they were all still so young, it was a painful reminder that life could be incredibly fragile.

He assumed that Peregrine and Fox weren't up for visitors so soon after the death of their eldest child, but he was following a well-worn path not far from their den. Glancing in that direction, he spotted Peregrine's dark silhouette, sitting just outside the threshold. Even from a distance, Elwood could detect that the atmosphere was solemn, and he hesitated before stepping towards his friend.

The only sound he emitted was a low whine as he approached with head and tail lowered. His ears splayed questioningly as he watched Peregrine, judging the Alpha's reaction to see if he would be receptive to company or if he should keep moving.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
When he saw Elwood walking past, Peregrine thumped his tail once, inviting the Beta male to approach. The gray wolf came toward him, looking decidedly somber. His own ears splayed when his friend whined. Peregrine knew the loss would be felt by everyone in the pack, though he felt strange as he looked at Elwood and realized the Beta looked (and maybe even felt...?) more despondent than he did.

He tried to decide what to say. Obviously, Elwood knew all about little "Derp's" passing, so Peregrine didn't have to break the news to him. Should he wait for Elwood to offer condolences? Should they talk about it? What was the protocol here? The Alpha wasn't sure and only knew that he didn't necessarily want to linger on the death, which made him feel all the guiltier about the situation.

"Let's move over this way," he said after a long, awkward pause. Motioning for the second-in-command to follow, Peregrine moved further away from the den to avoid disturbing its inhabitants. Upon seating himself, he furrowed his brows and admitted, "I'm not sure what to do with myself right now. I'm sad, of course, and Fox is struggling with it too... but we still have three healthy pups. He was so small, I'm not sure he was long for the world."

After a short pause, he queried, "How are you and Finley doing...?" How were his friends responding to the death of their first godson? Maybe it would be easier to focus on someone else's feelings than his own, since he wasn't even sure what they were, exactly.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
The Alpha male invited Elwood to come closer, then indicated that they could move away from the den. He couldn't help but peek inside as he passed by the entrance, seeing only a shock of Fox's bright fur in the shadows before the view was gone. Peregrine reclined onto his haunches some distance from his home, and Elwood did the same, wrapping his tail pensively around his paws.

He searched his friend's face as Peregrine spoke, admitting that he wasn't sure how he should feel about the recent turn of events. There was a good point in what he said -- the litter had been only a week old, and Derp had been the runt. Perhaps this was just the way things were supposed to turn out. Elwood hadn't considered that angle, but it helped to ease the sorrow.

And Peregrine was right; they still had three young, vibrant pups to care for. It didn't make sense for the new parents to dwell on the loss of one when they had others to raise. Elwood nodded his agreement, though he didn't speak; instead, his ears tilted towards Peregrine as he asked about the Beta pair.

"We're okay. It was sad and surprising to hear the news...I don't think Finley expected to have to actually use her godmother title," he said; luckily, she hadn't had to exercise it to its full extent (as that would have meant that something happened to Fox and Peregrine), but he knew that she had been both honored and saddened to be the one trusted to stay with the firebirds while they buried Derp.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Peregrine didn't understand what Elwood meant right away, then something clicked in his head and he nodded. He smiled a bit ruefully. "It's hard not to feel protective of them, even against your closest family and friends. But we know we can trust Fin," he said. "You too," he added, hoping the Beta hadn't felt slighted by not being summoned alongside his paramour. Fox had reached out to her closest and most trusted friend in her moment of need.

"It kind of bothers me that he died without a name," Peregrine blurted the next moment, shifting almost uncomfortably. Fox had already been through enough and he hesitated to tell her this, lest she feel guilty. "Especially now, I really want to go ahead and give our youngest a proper name. But I don't want to make Fox feel bad or like that's the reason he died. I know it's not. I just... I don't know. I feel weirdly disconnected and I think it's because without a name, it was like he had no identity. Maybe that's a good thing—I honestly don't even feel too horribly sad about it—but it feels wrong. I feel like a bad father," he admitted, looking at his toes.

He took a breath, then lifted his gaze to Elwood's face. "Sorry for unloading all of that on you, man. I'm just still trying to process the whole thing. He was my son but I feel like I barely had a chance to know him. It's hard to describe where my head and heart are right now."
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Elwood nodded; he already knew that Peregrine and Fox trusted Finley explicitly, but it was nice to know that they felt the same way about him. There had been no hard feelings when they only called Finley to keep an eye on the litter, and if there had been, they would have dissipated as soon as he heard the news. Shifting his weight gently, the grey wolf listened quietly as his friend thought aloud, putting his feelings into words. He apologized for rambling, but Elwood hoped that it was therapeutic; though he didn't have any advice to give -- what was there to be said to a father who had just lost his week-old son? -- he wanted Peregrine to know that he was there for him, just as Finley was there for Fox.

"You're not a bad father," he said after a pause, his yellow eyes briefly meeting Peregrine's green. "It's a shame that you didn't get to know him and that Fox didn't get to name him, but...he was still a firebird, if only for a brief time." He wasn't really sure exactly what to say, but that last comment seemed to be fitting. Derp might not have had a chance to develop a personality, or to even open his eyes and ears, but he had been a firebird -- a member of a family (biological and otherwise) who loved him during his short time on earth.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
"He'll always be a Firebird," Peregrine agreed with a sad, crooked smile. Hell, he was the original Firebird, the first of the Alpha pair's children to arrive in the world. His brief life and death would soon become little more than a fond memory, yet that legacy would live forever if his father had anything to do with it. And he would make sure the caldera's members, the other pups included, knew about little "Derp's" existence.

"Hey," the Alpha said after a brief lull, "would you like to hunt with me, in his honor? I know you all just hunted the other day and we don't have to go after anything big but... I kind of want to offer a toast to my son, you know?" Having taken a seat earlier, he now rose to his paws, giving Elwood an expectant look.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
The Beta bowed his head slightly, the faintest hint of a small smile pulling at the corners of his lips. He had only spent a small amount of time with Derp, but he would do his best to remember it always. And the little guy's brother and sisters would live up to their nickname in his stead; of this, he had no doubt.

Peregrine's suggestion was not unwelcome, and Elwood perked up at the mention of a hunt. The gamekeeper could never grow tired of the task, and he liked the sentiment behind it -- a toast to Peregrine's lost son. He, too, got to his paws, taking a moment to stretch his hind legs behind him like a cat, and then he gestured for Peregrine to lead the way.

"That's a great idea," he commented. "Jaws and I found a few deer near the outskirts the other day...or there's a rabbit warren in the woods that I know of, too," he offered; their quarry would depend on the Alpha's mood.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
When Elwood mentioned rabbits, Peregrine had a flashback to the previous day, when his son's limp form had felt exactly like a dead hare's. He swallowed thickly, then shook his head. In spite of what he'd just said about going after larger prey, he said, "Let's go after that deer." His voice sounded a bit funny, though he cleared his throat as he motioned for Elwood to take point.

He cast a glance in the direction of "Derp's" grave, then faced forward. He steeled his jaw. Peregrine was suddenly determined to take down that deer, no matter how great the challenge. He would sacrifice it in his son's honor, then use the meat to make sure his brother and sisters did not befall the same fate. And as soon as he and the Beta felled it, he would call out for all to hear, announcing their fallen firstborn Firebird's fate and striking a chord so deep that little "Derp's" echo would live forever in their collective heart.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
"Okay," Elwood replied readily as soon as Peregrine selected the deer as their target. There had been a group of three, which had dwindled to two after his teamwork with Jaws, but he was sure that was indicative of other ungulates in the area. With a confident step, he turned and led Peregrine away from Derp's grave -- but not before casting one last long, respectful glance at the place where the child was buried.

With the Alpha following him, he ventured towards the outskirts, where the land leveled out and where tiny blades of grass struggled through the layer of snow -- hopefully enticing the deer to come and graze. He slowed his pace after a while, dropping his nose to the ground and inhaling sharply; he was rewarded with just the scent that they were looking for, and with a soft chuff directed towards Peregrine, he began to track the deer.

They traveled only a short while before he spotted four of them, lingering near a copse of trees. He halted, one forepaw suspended in midair as he looked back at Peregrine. This was the bereaved father's hunt; he would follow Peregrine's instructions.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
The black wolf was grateful that Elwood took and maintained the lead as far as tracking went. Although he was the pack's leader and a master in hunting, he found himself more distracted than usual. He trotted long in the Beta male's wake, sniffing the air and ground occasionally but otherwise focusing more on mental images of his lost son and, alternately, himself standing over a fresh kill, slathered in blood and baying to the heavens in his son's memory (not unlike Tarzan vs. Sabor). It gave him an adrenaline rush but shot his focus.

But that all changed when Peregrine actually saw the deer. He froze beside Elwood, scanning the four possible victims. He selected the third, a pregnant doe. The buck would be more defensive on her behalf, yet the doe herself would be slow. Not to mention the bonus kill. The Alpha male licked his lips, thinking nothing of killing another baby in his baby's name. That was the circle of life, bitches.

He assumed the lead now, motioning for Elwood to hunker down beside him. It was just the two of them, so they needed a strategic plan of action before doing anything. "How about this," he proposed after a few moments of thoughtful observation, jade eyes finding his friend's bright yellow gaze. "You go out there and swing wide around to their other side. Then rush them in this direction, getting them to scatter. Focus on distracting the buck in particular but don't get close enough to get hurt. Meanwhile, I'll be waiting right here to ambush the pregnant doe." His ears twitched, hoping his fellow Gamekeeper liked the plan and his role in it.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Both males took a long look at the small group of deer, sizing them up and determining their odds. Elwood noticed the pregnant female, but it didn't cross his mind to consider her as their target -- Peregrine, on the other hand, saw the doe not just for the challenge she presented, but the potential reward. His brows raised momentarily, then he bobbed his head as the Alpha laid out their plans. It was doable; they were both capable gamekeepers.

Thoughts of Derp slipped to the back of Elwood's mind as he focused on the hunt, his tail giving a predatory lash as he slunk away from Peregrine. He swung in a wide arc, using underbrush as cover so as not to reveal himself to the deer and scatter them prematurely. As he moved, he kept one eye and ear trained on them, creeping along quietly until he was in position. When he looked back towards Peregrine, he was very nearly opposite where his fellow hunter stood; he waited a moment, catching the other wolf's eye, then he prowled forward.

Quickly, he accelerated to a trot and then loped right into the midst of the herd. They reacted by leaping away from him, and as he snapped at the buck's hindquarters, he watched the pregnant doe. Carefully, he drove the male away from his hinds, avoiding his galloping hooves and swinging antlers. With an abrupt change of direction, he then veered and attempted to corral the chosen female towards Peregrine while simultaneously keeping tabs on the buck.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
I'm gonna mark this with an "M" for violence, I think.

While he waited for his hunting partner to get into position, Peregrine resumed fantasizing about his glorious kill, made in the name of "Derp." His heart was already beating steadily in his breast and his muscles had begun to twitch with anticipation by the time the Beta met his eyes across their field of targets. The black wolf rose slowly from his crouch, digging his large paws into the cold earth as he prepared to leap into action.

When the other Gamekeeper drove into the middle of the herd, the Alpha kept his eyes fastened on the doe. She tried to crowd closer to the buck, though that put her closer to Elwood. While the stag was busy trying to ward off the silver hunter, he didn't have time to watch his mate's back. That left her vulnerable to Peregrine's attack as he pounded up to the pair and made a savage lunge right for the doe's throat.

She was too quick for him, swinging clear of his jaws and darting off toward the caldera. Peregrine felt a whoosh of air on his heels—presumably, the buck had turned and taken a swing at him—but he ignored it as he sprang after her. She was swift, yet not as quick as she would have been if she hadn't been carrying a fawn. Gritting his teeth and snarling between rapid breaths, the Alpha gave pursuit.

When he caught up to her, he wanted to jump onto her back and smash her to the earth. It would fit in well with his earlier daydream. Instead, he took the smarter but no less risky approach: Peregrine swept out a paw, kicking her hind legs out from beneath her. The deer made a strange squealing noise as she lost balance and began to fall. Somehow, she managed to stay on all fours, though before she could recover and start running at full speed again, Peregrine closed in and threw himself on top of her like a panther.

He sank his fangs deep into the area where her back met her haunch. Once Peregrine had a mouthful of meat, he pulled, tearing a hole in her flesh. The doe screamed this time and began bucking wildly, trying to throw him off even as he attempted to drag her to the ground. Maintaining his hold and pressing his weight down on top of her, the Master Gamekeeper took another bite near to the first wound, shaking her ferociously to do as much damage as possible. When he tore free again, he swallowed the chunk he'd ripped from her, essentially eating her alive.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
As soon as Elwood removed his attention from the buck, the animal turned and attempted to pursue Peregrine. The master gamekeeper was entirely focused on chasing the pregnant doe, so Elwood dropped back in order to attempt to drive the male deer away. With a snarl, he lunged at his shoulder; he did not intend to sink his teeth into flesh, but instead tried to knock the buck off his feet.

He was successful in breaking the ungulate's stride, and when he regained his balance, he seemed to realize that he had other females to tend to. Under Elwood's watchful eye, the male bounded away. When he turned back to Peregrine, his hunting partner was in the process of dragging the doe to the ground.

A few long steps brought the Beta to the action. The doe was losing a lot of blood and her gait was unsteady; it wouldn't take much more effort from the two wolves to bring her down. He nipped at her swollen stomach, trying to urge her back towards Peregrine so that he could deliver the final blow.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Although the doe was weakening, she wasn't going to go down without a fight. Even as Elwood joined the battle, she struck out a hind leg, catching a glancing blow to Peregrine's cheek. The Alpha snarled in surprise and fell back a moment. Fueled by blood lust, he then charged back in and leaped just like a lion, forelimbs outstretched to grasp her hindquarters and drag her roughly to the earth. She struggled beneath him but ultimately crashed to the ground, flailing and crying out but unable to regain her feet between her strange center of gravity and the blood loss which stole her strength.

Steering clear of her kicking legs, the swarthy wolf quickly exchanged a glance with his Beta—just to make sure Elwood was in the clear as well—and then dove in for the kill. His jaws wrapped around the doe's throat, cutting off her windpipe and severing her jugular. He held on as long as he could, then released his grip and backpedaled a few paces, intending to wait for her to stop moving before he began to feed.

When she fell still at last, he gave his hunting partner a tired, bloody smile and then stepped over the kill. Summoning his breath, he placed a paw over the warm carcass and then lifted his black muzzle to the heavens, singing in his son's name. He would feast in "Derp's" honor, then feed the pack in his memory. The howl tore through the skies, loud and clear and teeming with emotion.

When his wind failed him, Peregrine's head dropped and he immediately began to tear into the carcass. He thought he'd scored a two-for-one but when he ripped the doe open, he was rewarded with two fawns. Smiling morbidly at this unexpected reward, he buried his muzzle in the gore and ate voraciously. He made room to welcome Elwood to dine beside him.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
The Alpha male was a powerful hunter, and it was evident in his movements and the aggression with which he attacked the deer. He was driven by both instinct and emotion, and while Elwood stayed close by, he was sure not to get in Peregrine's way. As soon as it looked as though the master gamekeeper would be successful in bringing his prey to the ground, Elwood slammed on the brakes and halted, taking the moment to catch his breath. He watched as Peregrine sliced the doe's neck, effectively ending her life, then stepped back.

After only a brief pause, the swarthy male lifted his muzzle to the sky and howled, a deep and potent message in Derp's honor. Elwood waited only a beat before joining him, his own cry not as loud as Peregrine's but harmonious all the same. When the wolves finished their simultaneously triumphant and sorrowful song, Peregrine tore the deer's stomach open and revealed not one, but two fawns. Elwood's eyes widened; he couldn't believe their luck.

He stepped up next to his friend when Peregrine indicated for him to do so, then began to slice at the tender meat and flesh with his teeth. They would feed well off of this kill, and there would be plenty left for Fox and the rest of the pack. All in the memory of Derp.