I could use someone like you
confidence, charisma, character
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
Reek first please, then @Scimitar @Kaskara and maybe @Bazi if she wants? Long-awaited NP + RR meet! Timeline-wise, it's set sometime after RR chases Seb off and probably after the Meldresi incident, but since those threads aren't finished, we're gonna be suuuuuper vague about it. Also this is thread #100 for me! /confetti

Originally, Saena and @Reek had wanted to head out within the week, but circumstance had pushed their timeline back. It was nearly three weeks ago that they had first discussed coming to speak with the wolves of Nova Peak, and much longer since Saena had promised to call on Kaskara. As the duo trekked north toward the much taller mountain, she wondered if they would remember and if they would find fault in her tardiness. It wasn't without reason, but the terms would be set by Nova Peak here, and Redtail Rise could only agree to them, to an extent, so her excuses weren't worth much.

"I don't know much about them," Saena admitted as the pair grew closer and closer to the vast mountain, "but their Beta, Kaskara, seemed nice about it. As long as we don't hunt north of our borders, there shouldn't be any problems." So far there hadn't been any. The Redtail Rise wolves stuck respectfully to the south and their own borders and treated the north as a no man's land in terms of hunting. Aside from her recent encounter with a member of Nova Peak and several strangers, Saena had no reason to think their proximity was an issue.

They drew up well outside the pack's borders, where the scent of wolves first hit their noses, nearly a mile out from the nearest scent marker. Here, the young Alpha exchanged a glance with her ragtag Beta before pitching her snout skyward and howling a low and deferential request for an audience. She did her very best to make it seem as little like a demand as possible, and when her voice (and possibly Reek's) died off, she crouched down to await their arrival. "I really hope this goes well," she shared with her friend/brother/adviser/etc. as her gut twisted into a nervous knot.
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Congrats!

Reek's stomach nervously churned the entire way to Nova Peak. At least the walk was relatively short between the two territories. It was honestly a wonder the two had been able to coexist so peacefully without much interaction for so long due to their close proximity, but Reek paid that no mind. Any pack this close to the Rise was automatically an ally in Reek's book. However, after the incident with Sebastian, it was now necessary to make ties official. It was only a matter of time before the rest of the Caldera was knocking on their doorstep, and the Rise needed to be on the winning side.

Saena mentioned Kaskara, but even though she barely knew her, Saena probably had a better idea about her than Reek, who had only met her briefly in passing. On the other-hand, he did know Bazi, who had been a great listener during two or Reek's lowest points. "We'll be fine," he reassured, however, the nerves remained. "I know Bazi, she's super chill." Her mate though, that could be a mixed bag.

Reek settled down to his haunches after Saena stopped and he howled along with her to alert the peak's leadership that they had visitors. Their voices died down and Reek rested his head on his paws as they waited for the calvary to arrive.
dread the day when dreaming ends
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
Scimitar would have laughed in Reek's face if he knew he had described his wife as 'super chill'. Bazi did not wear that face around her mate, who spent much of his time walking on eggshells around his volatile beloved.

The woman in question was on her way out when the howl sounded nearby. She stopped, ears cupping forward to catch it, and spent very little time considering the intentions of the source before trotting in its direction. She was a bored mother, and would have spent the day playing pretend anyway.

Bazi recognized both wolves at her door. Reek, the plain-faced wolf that let her play agony aunt, and Saena, the young Alpha-to-be. The mountain leader's brain put two and two together, and she approached the pair with a subtly raised tail and a curious look on her face.

"To what do I owe this pleasure? Reek, and.. Saena," Yes, that was her name. Bazi's eyes bounced from the tips of the girl's russet ears to her white toes. Still beautiful.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Good lord, sorry for not replying sooner. Work has been hella busy. <3

Life on the peak had been relatively bland as of late. Scimitar had told her about the scuffle, but other than that nothing strange or out of place had happened. Though she considered that a win in many aspects, Kaskara was certain that meant something terrible was brewing. Something always seemed to be brewing around here. Kaskara's routine was interrupted by a howl, and she perked up immediately. It was a wolf requesting an audience, and it had a female ring to it? Could it finally be Saena ready to pay a visit?

Kas moved down the mountain at a faster pace than normal, wanting to see who was here requesting audience with the leaders. As she was one, Kas decided it would be fine if she joined. And she was rewarded when the sight of the white-and-rust female appeared before her. Bazi was already there, and that wolf named Reek she had met once. What an interesting surprise. "Hello, Saena," she called as she approached, stopping near Bazi's side. "I'm surprised to see you here. Hello, Reek." She nodded at him, too, wondering what he was doing here. Had he risen in Saena's ranks since their meeting?
he came and stole the wild
1,016 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
The cry echoed across the mountain, and giving a nod to @Kieran as a silent bid that the brown wolf was to look after the Peak's young brood, the Alpha began to make his way to the pack borders, uncertain what the visit necessarily was about. He assumed it was the wolves of Redtail Rise -- though his discussion with Kaskara had led him to believe that the Peak wolves were going to visit the Ridge wolves.. not the other way around.

It was not his first time meeting Saena, however, and as he pulled up alongside his mate, the agouti male gave a brief nod to both her and the other fellow she had at her side. Her mate, perhaps? His shoulder brushed against his mates, and his eyes would briefly seek out Kaskara's before focusing back upon their visitors. "What brings you to Nova Peak borders?" Quick to the point as always, his large form relaxed only slightly -- aqua eyes studying both wolves before him.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
"I met her once," Saena revealed to her Beta, "she told me she'd see us where the hunting's good." The Redtail Rise alpha female took that in the sense of friendly competition. Still, none of the Rise's wolves had hunted beyond their northern border. Friendly or not, competition was still competition, and Saena fully intended to keep the promise she made to Kaskara. She idly wondered as she stared up the mountainside whether Bazi would be disappointed or relieved to know of that promise, but she didn't have to wonder long, for the white female was the first to arrive.

Saena smiled at her, lowering her head according to her status as outsider and visitor. Her tail hung limply between her legs. It wouldn't do to bugger this up by not acknowledging the other wolves' statuses. "Hey, Bazi," she said just as Kaskara joined them, and she sent a broader grin the beta's way with an accompanying, "Hi Kaskara!"

But it wasn't these two females Saena worried about. She knew she had Kaskara's approval, and Bazi had indicated as much as well. It was the alpha male, who arrived last, but commanded the most attention with his approach. This was perhaps because he was larger than the others or perhaps because of that same lion-like regality Saena had witnessed when they confronted Meldresi; she couldn't say for sure.

"To meet you formally," Saena said, "and to bring some news of our own." Reek and Saena also intended to extend an offering of alliance, but that was something the alpha was content to leave to Reek, who had really masterminded it in the first place. "My name is Saena Redtail, formerly Saena Redleaf-DiSarinno of Blacktail Deer Plateau. I'm the alpha of Redtail Rise." She turned her snout to her companion then and said, "and this is Reek, my beta and advisor, and the voice of our pack." She looked back to them then, avoiding eye contact. Her eyes lingered longest on the tip of Scimitar's chin, as he was the one they needed to impress. "I thought it was time we introduce ourselves to you, firstly."

From here, Reek could relay some of their recent news, specifically that about Redhawk Caldera's hostility toward them (this would have to be handled carefully, as the two Redtail wolves presumably discussed on their journey to Nova Peak, because of their history with Fox as confirmed by Bazi) and the death of one of their own at Redhawk's hands with an implied warning that wolves from the Caldera were dangerous, or he could leave it to her. She left the floor open for either possibility.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Once their howls had died away, it wasn't long until the calvary arrived.  Bazi was the first to respond to their summons and Reek flashed her a terse smile.  Although the two were barely acquaintances, Reek wished he could have greeted her more warmly. Nevertheless an awkwardly forced smirk was all he was able to muster. But, given their previous conversation, Bazi would understand.

Second, came Kaskara.  Another acquaintance.  However, the warm feelings he held for Bazi didn't carry over to the beta.  No doubt Kaskara was friendly and a wonderful wolf, but Bazi had been in the right place at the right time... twice.  Then an unfamiliar male arrived, who Reek could only assume was Bazi's mate, Scimitar, that he had heard about from Arion in the way way back when they made their first poppy deal.  The way he carried himself was intimidating to say the least, causing Reek to bow his head in respect.

Reek listened in silence as Saena began their introduction; and while she got the social pleasantries out of the way, she left the meat of the conversation for Reek to provide.  He cleared his throat with a cough.  "Secondly," he began, picking up where Saena left off.  "We have some things we need to talk about." Reek paused and let loose a long sigh while he thought about how to properly phrase the news.  The issue with the Caldera had to be broken as delicately as possible, or a possible alliance would be out the window.  "We lost someone," he stated flatly; and while that tidbit of information had nothing to do with Nova Peak, Junior's disappearance was vastly important to the whole narrative. 

"We've recently gotten some new information," he continued as his voice became more morbid.  "Junior, Saena's sister— the one we lost.  She was killed by the wolves of Redhawk Caldera." The reasoning would remain left unsaid.  "Saena went to the Caldera on invitation and was brutally attacked by Fox for no reason.  They're out for blood."

"Recently, their wolves have been coming into the north uninhibited.  They aren't welcome here so we chased one out a few days ago.  The north needs to stay strong, stable.  These southerners are a threat to all who live in the north... So we have a proposal," he said, stopping to see if the wolves of the Peak would be willing to listen.
dread the day when dreaming ends
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
Bazi's mate and sister were not far behind. The former skipped past the pleasantries, as he was won't to do, but Kaskara gave and received pleasant greetings. The white alpha gave her husband a brief, wry little look before settling in to listen. 

Her face fell as Saena and Reek talked.

Fox was volatile - there was no doubt about it. But why would she venture so far from the South? "Why?" Bazi asked, furrowing her brow. "Why are they making the trip?"
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Reek's words cut through her like a knife. Junior, dead? Anger and hatred were quick to spring into her heart at the thought of her friend being killed. She knew nothing of the situation or the history between Junior and Fox, but that did not lessen the blow that she felt in her soul. Kas attempted to speak a few times, opening and closing her mouth almost comically, if not for the pained and twisted expression on her face. "How did she die?" she finally asked, her dulled gaze turning toward Saena, the one who had known Junior best.

Whatever Reek and Saena proposed, Kaskara would stand behind it. There was no reason to turn on the backs of their northern neighbors in favor of these bloodthirsty southerners. If they wished to trespass upon their lands, then Kaskara would tear them apart, no matter if it was two hundred or twenty yards from the peak. They would not be allowed free reign here. An idea bubbled in her mind, a coalition of warriors from the northern packs, patrolling and protecting their southern border from these heathens. Kaskara would do whatever was necessary in order to protect her family.
1,016 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
The two were intriguing enough to him – Saena had already showed an interesting tactic to him on the day they had met Meldresi.. and while he had initially been curious to what the pale she-wolf might have thought of his actions to the ebony female, he had not dwelled upon it too much. Retribution had been his, and he only regretted letting her filthy hide go so easily.

He remained silent as they spoke, feeling Bazi’s own shooted glance to him. Saena was quick to offer her background – he noted Blacktail Deer Plateau with mild disdain.. he had never held any decent encounters with the wolves there, and last he had heard, Fox had run off to be with the Alpha of the pack there.

So it was slightly confusing when they discussed a pack called Redhawk Caldera, an attack by Fox, and the brutal slaying of Saena’s sister. Stoical at the best of times, Scimitar could not suppress the frown that darkened his features. Fox had been at their borders not long before – and she had not thought to mention anything, while instead trying to gauge him for as much information as possible.

His gaze flickered to Kaskara, as her voice struck a chord in his heart. She looked devastated, and only then did he recall her brief time from the Plateau pack before they had ousted her from their ranks. A poor decision on their end.

“Fox was on our very borders not long ago,” he offered then, disclosing the information to their neighbors quite freely. “Why would they kill your sister?” His tone became gentler then – Scimitar might have been an ass, but he was not completely oblivious to the harshness of the conversation and the implications that could arise from it.
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
Reek gave a fairly accurate account of the Rise's troubles lately. Saena almost felt it prudent to mention that Fox had been nothing but a royal bitch since the day she arrived at the plateau, but a little voice inside her head reminded her that these wolves knew Fox. Hell, they'd followed her once before Bazi took over, if the arctic wolf's tale was true. She didn't need to make enemies based on her personal feelings toward their former leader.

"She was being an idiot," Saena mumbled in response to Kaskara and Scimitar both, "selfish. She tricked her way in and attacked a child." She let that hang in the air a moment before adding, "I don't condone her actions, but I do believe it's a cycle beginning and ending with Fox. Her mate is... Was... Our father, before she convinced him to leave his entire life behind for her. Junior was deeply bothered by it."

Whatever the case may be, Junior was family, which was what brought Reek and Saena here. "Junior did a very terrible thing in retaliation and she did it without the support or even the knowledge of my pack. I acknowledge that, and know there was no other outcome for her. However... Fox's unprovoked attack on myself was unwarranted. I've never posed a threat to her or her children, who I've met. My trip there was to teach them about naturalism. My father attacked Reek for helping one of those children once. That, coupled with their presence in the taiga--I don't know why they come but I too smelled Fox, not long before encountering a male from their pack--makes me nervous that they are out to kill me and my wolves. That we are being punished for another's crime based on relation alone." It was, unfortunately, a crime by association, but they were nevertheless innocent of it.

She turned her head to Reek then, intending to let the beta reveal the true meaning behind their visit here. Kaskara had once asked about an alliance. At the time, Saena's strategy was to see what happened before committing. But now the Redtail Rise wolves needed the added protection of their neighbours in the event Redhawk Caldera rose against them, and she'd shown already a willingness to aid them in return. She could only hope they would see her plight the way she did, as a pack affair, and not as something that solely affected her.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Super sorry for the long wait! This thread sort-of got away from me.

Why Saena had elected to divulge the gruesome details, Reek hadn't a clue.  If it had been up to him, he would have offered a more vague explanation. A work around to make the situation much more palatable with a helpful twist in favor of the rise. But, perhaps Saena's brutal honesty would work in their favor. The truth had a tendency to wriggle its way to the surface eventually.  No matter how long Reek played his games, the inevitable always wins in the end.  

"We don't condone her actions," Reek chimed in repetition of Saena's sentiment.  "But, unfortunately those actions carry a heavy consequence for us.  We aren't looking to start a war... but one should always be, uh, prepared."  Reek's brow scrunched as he racked his brain on how to get into the meat of his negotiations.  After a short pause, Reek continued on.  "Our packs have a— er, strategic advantage, due to our proximity to each other.  If anything threatens your pack... your family; howl for us and we will fight with you.  We hope that you would do the same for us."

Concluding his point, the beta fell silent and waited for the thoughts of the wolves of the peak on the matter.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Skipping Bazi with permission. <3

Kaskara's heart grew hard as Saena spoke of Junior's rash actions that ended up in her death. Kas always knew the girl to be brash, unconcerned with others' opinions of her, and interested only in the things she found worthwhile. While it broke her heart to hear that the girl she had come to love as a friend was dead, she knew that Junior's own actions had caused it in the end. There was no fault here, except in the fault that lay with Junior's actions. Kaskara would have done much the same if anyone had attempted to harm her family.

She processed this in silence, staring between Saena and Reek, lost to the world. Then, as Reek spoke, she snapped back to attention, and heard their offer. An alliance of sorts. A promise to fight for each other, as wardens of the north, in case any southerners got any brave ideas. Kaskara would have nodded then, but instead looked toward her brother. "I am of a mind to make this pact, as you know. There is no harm in agreeing to this alliance." It was mutual. She hoped Scimitar could see the benefits of it.
1,016 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
He held no doubt that the girl they spoke of had done something to raise the ire of their ex-leader. Fox was not partial to vengeance or bold moves unless somehow provoked.. but then she was always one to carry her vendetta too far.

In truth, if another wolf had attempted to slay his children as well, he was not sure he would have been able to hold himself back from murder, either. But if it was one of his current children trying to kill his and Bazi's next litter? The idea was disturbing at best, and it left him unsettled and cold.. and something he allowed to flit from his mind simply from the discomfort it brought him to think about it.

He agreed with the ivory wolf before them though -- Fox needn't take her siblings actions out on her.. but that was how she worked. He could have debated the dilemma he was placed in, but the very basis of it was simple: they no longer owed Fox anything and her visits to them had been purely to satiate her own curiosity rather than amend or renew old friendships. Saena and Reek stood before him now, not withholding any information from them, and requested an alliance that Saena had already begun to show true word for when he had come upon Blackfeather Woods.

Kaskara was quick to voice her opinion, and while he would have liked to talk to his mate and sister privately on the matter, more time wasted would do neither pack any good. Taking a glance to Bazi to see her reaction, he gave a small nod in agreement. "You have already proven you would fight for us when I came upon Meldresi," he offered, his gaze flicking back to the Rise wolves before him. "We will do the same if needed."