Blacktail Deer Plateau Under the starry skies, where eagles have flown
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Editing and concluding since Rhodri's been removed. Kim, if you rejoin, I'd be happy to revive this.

"Thanks," Peregrine responded simply and modestly. "It's all yours," he added, stepping back from the kill. "Now you just have to figure out the best place to start a new cache, keeping in mind where my pregnant mate lives." His tail waved when he mentioned Hawkeye's state and he tipped his muzzle and looked at Rhodri pointedly, hoping the male took the hint.

While waiting for Rhodri to pluck up the carcass and lead him, Peregrine remarked, "I'd like to learn more about you but it may be hard for you to speak with that in your mouth. Although I'm pretty good at reading body language—my brother, Crete, is mute—I doubt you've had much practice with conveying anything particularly complex." He smirked in a friendly way. "You walk, I'll talk."

True to his word, as soon as they began to walk, Peregrine shared, "Crete actually lives here, as do my other siblings, Atticus and Osprey. We grew up together in Flightless Falcons in Seahawk Valley and all recently transplanted here because our older brother took over and the pack went to shit, basically." Of course, Peregrine had no idea some of these names would be familiar to Rhodri or that his mother and Rhodri's father had been great friends.

This knowledge remained unrevealed until Rhodri found a suitable site for the cache and, with a nod of approval from the Alpha, set to work. Only when he dropped the carcass and began to dig did he regale Peregrine with the tale of his own childhood in Seahawk Valley. As it turned out, their parents had been very close friends during their own youths, a connection which the Alpha male wouldn't overlook, even if March Owl and Chakra hadn't seen much of one another over the years.

"Well done," were the swarthy leader's only words of praise when Rhodri finished his labors. Although he didn't say much, praise was difficult to earn from Peregrine and hopefully the yearling understood that. "Since it's well past bedtime, so to speak, I won't keep you tonight. Go on and get some rest. But I'll be calling on you again sometime tomorrow to continue this work. This pack could use a few more caches," he said astutely, squinting off into the forest.

"See you later, Rhodri," Peregrine said, then woofed to the subordinate and turned to head home to Hawkeye. In the morning, the two males would recommence their endeavor and it it would be, unknowingly, their final get-together as pack mates. Not long after, the pale yearling would abscond into the unknown, much to Peregrine's genuine disappointment.
Messages In This Thread
RE: Under the starry skies, where eagles have flown - by Peregrine Redhawk - February 18, 2014, 01:32 PM