Sunbeam Lair narrow stairs
112 Posts
Ooc — Risa
Her potential for loyalty was being questioned.

Menta worked hard at keeping her breath even, not letting any of her muscles flinch, and her gaze respectful. Few things truly upset or angered the wolf, but loyalty had been bred for many generations to be her core. A quickening of her heartbeat surprised her. Perhaps that was why her mother had so much anger to deliver when she wanted to explore - and thrive? - on her own? While she was far from the first of her siblings who had left for their own great "adventure" as it were, it was always assumed that the cream would stay. 

Basta, she mentally growled to herself. Enough. Asterr had provided the context of the question, had made it an understandable question and even admitted that the pack had been burned in such a way. This must mean that she only seeked the truth and posed no immediate accusation. Menta chose her words very carefully, never having had to answer this question with just words. Words were all she had right now.

I left my family pack shortly after my second birthday, she confessed on an even tone, not adding that it was with mixed blessings. The old had at best seemed skeptical of her ongoing success, her mother had spoken of betrayal while her father stayed sullen and sad. But it was because I had never fit in there, not because it was a rash decision or one that I took lightly at all. Guilt, guilt, guilt -- she could feel it with every pounding heartbeat. She was over two years in age, but she had waited patiently almost every moment of her life to feel the connection that they spoke of; she had done everything right until she no longer could. It was hard to admit such things out loud and the next words came in a rush as if they could stuff her embarassing truth back down.

I do not take recommitting to a pack lightly. Words which Asterr had no true way of knowing how empty or full they could be. Menta had never before considered just how vulnerable an alpha could be at this stage, how vulnerable this overreaching hunger made a pack in accepting a new body to feed. What a privileged life she had led.

I do not seek glory, she continued, the word 'glory' leaving a bitter taste on her tongue, I seek a home. Home, not a phsyical place but an idea. An idea she could appreciate in theory, an idea others seemed to take for granted, an idea that she only could hold for fleeting moments of time even as it remained abstract. Home. Let this be home.
Messages In This Thread
narrow stairs - by Menta - June 16, 2016, 01:18 PM
RE: narrow stairs - by Avannon - June 16, 2016, 01:28 PM
RE: narrow stairs - by Menta - June 16, 2016, 01:50 PM
RE: narrow stairs - by Avannon - June 16, 2016, 05:33 PM
RE: narrow stairs - by Asterr - June 18, 2016, 01:08 AM
RE: narrow stairs - by Menta - June 18, 2016, 03:59 PM
RE: narrow stairs - by Avannon - June 19, 2016, 07:55 PM
RE: narrow stairs - by Asterr - June 20, 2016, 11:09 PM
RE: narrow stairs - by Menta - June 21, 2016, 11:14 AM
RE: narrow stairs - by Asterr - June 23, 2016, 01:27 AM