Blacktail Deer Plateau dig up your mother, chew on her bones
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Let me know if you mind the power play, Karm. :)

Following his daughter's burial, Peregrine did something he hadn't done in nearly a week: he slept. In fact, he slept for two days straight and only rose on the third to eat, drink and toilet before returning to his spot beneath the sycamore tree and slipping back to the land of nightmares and dreamscapes. Sleeping was his escape from his bleak reality, even if there was nothing more painful than those first few moments after waking, when his groggy amnesia gave way to horrifying recollection. It was like reliving that moment, when Blue Willow had returned with Osprey's remains, over and over again...

He woke now and lay for a while, giving himself time to recover from the onslaught of grief. Finally, Peregrine pushed himself to his feet. He wasn't the only one who was coping by lying around like roadkill. He saw a few members of his family curled up nearby. He knew they needed him and his strength, especially the pups. He knew they weren't taking the news well. For now, though, they slept peacefully and he was loath to disturb them. Quietly, he found his feet and slipped into the forest.

He went almost directly to the grave, his first visit since the burial itself. He was hoping to have the spot to himself but Peregrine wasn't surprised to find two other pack wolves lingering there. What was surprising was the sight of the freshly dug earth and the bone presently held between his young son's paws. Peregrine froze at the edge of the two graves, staring at this macabre scene, for what felt like years.

He felt a disgusted rage building with him and he could tell that he was one blink away from snapping. Peregrine exercised a miraculous amount of restraint in that moment, not that anyone would ever know. Rather than step forward, tear the remains from Pura's grasp and beat him for his terrible behavior, he stepped almost mechanically past Fireblaze, ignoring her completely, and gently tugged the bone away from Pura.

"Pura," he said softly, "these are the bones of your mother and your sister. This is all we have left of them. Digging them up was bad. Chewing on them was very bad. We do not eat our own kind. Do you understand me, son? Do you understand?" He paused, feeling himself trembling slightly. "You're going to help me rebury them. And you will never, never do this again. Do you read me, Pura?"
Messages In This Thread
dig up your mother, chew on her bones - by Pura - July 05, 2014, 06:00 AM
RE: dig up your mother, chew on her bones - by Peregrine Redhawk - July 05, 2014, 11:23 AM
RE: dig up your mother, chew on her bones - by Pura - July 05, 2014, 01:08 PM
RE: dig up your mother, chew on her bones - by Pura - July 19, 2014, 04:21 PM
RE: dig up your mother, chew on her bones - by Pura - July 26, 2014, 01:50 PM
RE: dig up your mother, chew on her bones - by Pura - July 31, 2014, 12:47 PM