Blacktail Deer Plateau broken bones
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
The strange Alpha female pointed out that Junior wasn't so young. Peregrine wanted to ask her if she knew the youngster's age. Had she been there when Osprey Jr. had been borne into this world at March's close? She was still a few days shy of five months old. With that said, even he had to admit that Junior was, in some ways, mature for her age. She was more accomplished than some of the oldest wolves in the pack, with two trade apprenticeships under her belt. Still, he was her little girl and nobody could tell him otherwise.

Before he could answer to her, the other she-wolf spoke. Her words rubbed him the wrong way. They stank of mysticism and what Peregrine considered spiritual bullshit. He peered at Junior, wondering if these women were from a religious cult that had somehow managed to brainwash her in a matter of days. Fortunately, they'd given nothing away about their views of male-kind, aside from their very subtle slights.

Peregrine opened his mouth but clapped it shut the next instant, when Fox spoke. He could have been offended by her lack of support but, for reasons unknown, Peregrine nearly always gave the spitfire Alpha female the benefit of the doubt. He listened with a strange equanimity as she reasoned with him. Perhaps it was because he knew she was an intelligent creature. She was closer in age to Junior than to him and she was, more or less, an objective third party. He also figured her advice came from a good place.

Looking into Junior's eyes now but speaking to her two companions and Fox, he said, "I want to stop her because I love her. I was there the day she was born and every day since. I thought I lost her once and I hate to lose her again, this time for real. I think she's making the wrong decision and, no offense, ladies, but your reasoning sounds like a bunch of malarkey. I can't accept the idea that some stranger saw some vision in water and that's the reason my daughter's leaving me. But if that's what she wants... Junior, if that's what you want, then like I said: I won't stop you. Just remember that you're leaving behind not just me but your entire family, including your brother and sisters."

Peregrine shook his head lightly, then touched his nose to Fox's cheek. "Go on. I'll catch up with you." Turning to face the two strangers and his daughter, the Alpha male sucked in an unsteady breath, then said, "Goodbye, Junior." He reached out and pressed his nose to her forehead. He lingered there a moment, then gave her a swift and slightly reluctant kiss. His throat tightened and he didn't trust himself to speak, so Peregrine nodded to the trio and then turned, padding up to the plateau feeling thwarted, bereft and heavyhearted.

Upon reaching the top, he was tempted to walk away without looking back. Yet Peregrine found he could not be so strong and cold. Instead, he turned and stood vigil, his eyes lingering on his daughter as she made ready to leave the plateau behind for good. He would not stop watching her until she disappeared from his view.
Messages In This Thread
broken bones - by Junior - August 27, 2014, 09:27 AM
RE: broken bones - by Peregrine Redhawk - August 27, 2014, 09:34 AM
RE: broken bones - by Junior - August 27, 2014, 09:39 AM
RE: broken bones - by Peregrine Redhawk - August 27, 2014, 09:47 AM
RE: broken bones - by Junior - August 27, 2014, 09:57 AM
RE: broken bones - by Peregrine Redhawk - August 27, 2014, 10:06 AM
RE: broken bones - by Junior - August 27, 2014, 10:18 AM
RE: broken bones - by Peregrine Redhawk - August 27, 2014, 11:27 AM
RE: broken bones - by Junior - August 27, 2014, 11:35 AM
RE: broken bones - by Aktaiê - August 27, 2014, 12:13 PM
RE: broken bones - by ZC20 - August 27, 2014, 12:18 PM