Redhawk Caldera Signaling through the flames
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
It surprised Peregrine when Ragnar professed to a conditional approach to parenthood in the spring. He supposed it made sense, though as long as he and Thistle had one another, that was technically enough to support a litter. Additional subordinates were a bonus but, of course, they came at a price too: more mouths to feed. There was always a balance to be struck in there somewhere. Peregrine knew full well that, no matter the condition of the caldera, he and Fox would be rearing a litter come springtime. Even if tragedy struck and the caldera's ranks dwindled down to just two of them, they would not relinquish their dream.

Ragnar's next words earned a pensive look from Peregrine, who then spoke. "Keep in mind that it's typical for more than half of our offspring not to make it to adulthood," he pointed out gently. It was a morbid fact but a biological reality. "And chicks are meant to leave the nest," he added, "though I totally sympathize. Some of mine left too early as well and not under the best of circumstances. But you can't beat yourself up about it, Ragnar, or let it hold you back. They can't all stay. They shouldn't all stay. And, as horrible as it might sound, they're not all meant to survive, either. It's the circle of life and shit," he finished with a switch of his tail.

Again, he understood the Viking's misgivings, though. He would try to keep his own advice in mind should he and Fox lose any of their pups to death or disappearance, though Peregrine knew it would be very hard. The risk was worth the reward, though, and again nothing would stop the Alpha pair from doing what they'd been born to do: bring new life into the world to carry on the legacy of their united bloodline.

"I know I'm an outsider who knows next to nothing about your day-to-day family life. But you took in my daughter when she would have died otherwise, so I think I can say with some authority that you are as good a father as any, Ragnar."
Messages In This Thread
Signaling through the flames - by Peregrine Redhawk - November 11, 2014, 12:51 PM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Somnia - November 11, 2014, 06:49 PM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Ragnar - November 12, 2014, 07:33 AM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Peregrine Redhawk - November 12, 2014, 01:19 PM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Somnia - November 12, 2014, 03:46 PM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Ragnar - November 13, 2014, 08:16 AM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Peregrine Redhawk - November 16, 2014, 05:13 PM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Somnia - November 16, 2014, 09:56 PM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Ragnar - November 17, 2014, 09:36 AM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Peregrine Redhawk - November 17, 2014, 02:19 PM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Somnia - November 17, 2014, 04:48 PM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Ragnar - November 19, 2014, 08:23 AM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Peregrine Redhawk - November 23, 2014, 12:53 PM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Ragnar - November 27, 2014, 08:29 AM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Peregrine Redhawk - December 03, 2014, 10:27 AM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Ragnar - December 06, 2014, 07:21 AM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Peregrine Redhawk - December 07, 2014, 01:10 PM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Ragnar - December 11, 2014, 07:53 AM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Peregrine Redhawk - December 18, 2014, 07:07 PM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Ragnar - December 23, 2014, 12:37 PM
RE: Signaling through the flames - by Peregrine Redhawk - December 23, 2014, 03:14 PM