so Eden sank to grief
But in the silence I heard you calling out to me
263 Posts
Ooc — Ashur
well this went in a way I didn't plan for at all.

The wolf he was a year ago would have fought her, not with claws or fangs, but with words to counter the anger that embittered her voice. He would have held his stubborn ground, despite how clearly right she was. But Malachi only listened. A year was a long time, and he was no longer the hot-headed youth who had left the Vale, no longer the wolf who had torn his family apart by his quest for vengeance, so similar to what Tuwawi was doing now. His twisted sense of justice had led him to the mountains where his brother had died, his heart set on revenge. Benjamin had only followed because Malachi's own accusing words had spurred him to come.

Her words would have kicked him, but in the state to which he'd fallen they only inscribed themselves to the guilt already etched into his heart. Though laced with disappointment and pain, he could make out no malice, and this was what cut him most. Tuwawi had given him no respite, and if she cared about him at all, it was clearly not for who he was. If he had had the courage to stand with his resolve, he would have been tied to Scarlett's side by honour and not the cowardice he was now subjected to. He wouldn't have been allowed to stay to protect the others, not even if he tried.

He sped up to match her trot and let silence fall between them as they neared the winter queen's den. Tyrr had been ready to kill any wolf Tuwawi pointed her nose toward - but Malachi could not do that. Even if he stayed, he would fail them in the end when he could not deliver the killing blows the ember surely desired. And when life returned to normality, he would not be able to turn away the weak or vulnerable who came looking for a home. His body was tied to Duskfire, but the his heart was not.

"Duskfire is no longer my home." The words slipped from his mouth without hesitation, and he only felt numb at how right they felt. "I have to find Caiaphas, but not for Tuwawi." He turned his gaze to her, knowing his words cemented him, whether they labelled him a traitor or not. He would still scout, but not for the ember. He would fight when he deemed it right, and he would not kill those innocent of crime, no matter the wrongs of their leader. He did not know if that was the right way, or that was even the Kalderon way, but it would be his way. "How strong is Adlartok?" He queried, before adding, "Let me help you, at least for the start." If she refused him, he would press her no further, but he would offer her this.
Trades
[Image: warden.gif][Image: naturalist.gif] 1/5 | [Image: chronicler.gif] 2/5
Messages In This Thread
so Eden sank to grief - by Malachi - February 16, 2015, 06:31 PM
RE: so Eden sank to grief - by Scarlett - February 17, 2015, 04:43 AM
RE: so Eden sank to grief - by Malachi - February 17, 2015, 03:44 PM
RE: so Eden sank to grief - by Scarlett - February 17, 2015, 04:59 PM
RE: so Eden sank to grief - by Malachi - February 18, 2015, 11:09 AM
RE: so Eden sank to grief - by Scarlett - February 18, 2015, 11:42 AM
RE: so Eden sank to grief - by Malachi - February 18, 2015, 12:51 PM
RE: so Eden sank to grief - by Scarlett - February 18, 2015, 01:25 PM
RE: so Eden sank to grief - by Malachi - February 18, 2015, 03:23 PM