Larksong Grotto I know I would die if I could come back new
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
All Welcome 
With Reek's ranks filling fast, the alpha male no longer felt the need to stray from the bounds of his territory in the name of recruitment. But here, within the confines of the grotto, Reek felt there was so much left to do before his claim was ready to be legitimized. The borders were still weak and new; the caches, nearly empty. Lastly, he needed to dig a permanant den so he and Tavi had a better place to sleep than the crevice they had occupied for the past few nights. He had his work cut out for him, but with everything running so smoothly so far, Reek felt his operating on certain level of momentum— thus fueling his ambition and propelling him forward.

The cache was his first priority. He had sent Eslani to hunt and she had done well, but one wolf's efforts did not make a pack strong. They needed more.

Thankfully, the Larksong Grotto was plentiful when it came to prey. Its namesake, the birds and waterfowl that occupied the territory, were ripe for the taking. Reek was no bird trapper -- having never caught a bird in his life -- but seeing so many by the lake made him figure he had an ample chance to snag one for himself. From atop his lookout position on the ridge, Reek selected his goose and charged forward into the crowd.

Cutting through the flock, there was a chaotic clambour of squawks, honks, hisses, and gusty wing flaps. Reek's target took flight, escaping into the air as it flew to the other side of the lake. He could have swore it was taunting him as it went. Reek swore, no matter how long it took him, this goose would die as a matter of principle.

He chaced this particular bird for what felt like the entire morning. His legs were spent, but Reek prided himself on being a persuit predator, so he chalked the struggle between between bird and wolf as a battle of wills. Eventually... after chasing it across the lake several times, Reek took the goose in his jaws by the neck. With a snap, Reek emerged victorious as his nemisis hung limp in his jaws. In his excitement, he called for the master bird hunter herself, @Tavi, with a howl to share in his hard fought kill.
Messages In This Thread
I know I would die if I could come back new - by Reek - March 21, 2016, 11:33 AM