The Sentinels What good is a field on a fine summer night
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
@Lasher maybe? ^^ only if you have time!
Dante was nosing around near the stream, searching out a fish he could perhaps snag with his (somewhat woeful) fishing skills.  Optimistic thinking but he was intent on making himself useful every way he possibly could.  The water was frozen over, but the ice was not thick, and he broke through a section hopefully.  Then it was only to sit and wait.

While he did, thinking back on his conversation with Osprey warmed him.  His tail thumped the ground behind him a few times before he stilled it, aware that it might scare away his intended prey if they did happen to show.  Things were definitely looking up, and they could only get better as the days went on.
aiming for Warrior, Guardian, and Advisor specializations
i was born to the witch boleyn
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
anytime for you!

aria. he thought of her often, but realized that he had scented her upon casmir's pelt the last time his son had visited. it intrigued the man, though he wisely withheld his questions. the two were much closer in age, though he had thought the boy more enamoured of behati. there were transpirings afoot in the young ranks, decided taltos amusedly -- perhaps he would ask his son of it another time.

dante was discovered as he had found eigma; along the stream. though, where the girl had been pensive, the beta male was intent upon an aquatic quarry, and lasher stepped very carefully to his friend's side, as not to disturb the fish below the stream's surface.
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
It became clear after a time no fish were in his future, but he watched a while after even Lasher appeared, as the Alpha had courteously left space enough to do so.  Finally however he gave off, a light chuckle and a shake of his head indicating to Lasher the exercise had run its course.  "Neptune withholds," he said wryly, turning from the stream and training his attention on the other. 

"Actually, I was hoping we could talk," he began, smiling.  He thought he remembered a conversation, but time fuzzed the truth and he would not have this be unsure.  The plans were not finalized, and the course was not set, but before it could even be feasable this needed to occur.  He hoped that Lasher would have a moment to spare from the busy glow of fatherhood.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
he smirked and settled alongside his companion. "fish are fickle things." the pressure of the other's gaze came to lay upon him, and lasher faced dante. he respected the man to such a degree that he did not mind the meeting of their eyes, not in their personal interludes. it seemed dante had a subject upon which he wished to touch, and the druid gave a gentle nod.

however, a mischief-laden expression passed across taltos' face; he cupped his ears slyly toward his companion. "may i guess?" they would make a game of it, seeing as how there was good humour upon dante's handsome face.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
That they were.  A fisherman Dante would never be, he knew that unequivocably.  Perhaps later he could look again, or seek out different quarry in the forest's depths.  He wasn't so hungry now that he couldn't wait until this conversation led to a close, especially since he had matters to discuss.

Perhaps matters that Lasher could guess.  Dante wouldn't be surprised, the alpha was an intuitive man.  "If you wish," Dante replied, grinning at Lasher's mischief.  He had no idea if what Lasher thought was true, but hearing the guess would be entertaining, as it could be completely off base as well.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
he was pleased that dante wished to immerse himself in their witty little interlude -- presently, lasher made a great show of looking heavenward, as if to search for the answer in the clouded sky above. when he had settled on a word, he eyed dante with a look of faux seriousness. "does it relate to osprey?" in the next moment the man's features had spread into a beam; he could not contain the humour within him, and it showed in the curve of his mouth, the glimmer of his eyes.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante's tail began to wave, and he knew it was likely he'd been had.  Somehow that failed to upset him, and with a glint in his eye he cleared his throat, nodding.  "Perhaps," he said jokingly, excited by Lasher's own high humor.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
dante answered; lasher gave a thump of his own tail, eyes sparkling joyously into those of his companion. the handsome features had curved into a smile; taltos' heart gave one giddy little flutter at the remembrance of how he had born the argent man such attraction. it had not faded, but he had put it aside in favour of their deep and lasting friendship. "i have two guesses," he purled with a wink. "but i shall only ask one: you wish to elevate osprey to the beta rank alongside yourself, yes?"
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
The guess was not at all what Dante expected, and he shook his head, though afterwards he had to think a minute.  It was honestly something that hadn't even crossed his mind, though it was a good question.  He wasn't even sure if it was something Osprey would be interested in.  He'd forgotten that some might even see that as a natural progression with their mateship.  One of many subjects they had yet to broach and so he was completely in the dark as to her feelings on the matter.

"I don't know if that's something she wants, so no, not it."  He kept his smile, and the excitement wasn't dampened much by his insecurity on where they stood in that regard.  What he was to ask was more sure, and in his opinion, of much more interest.  Lasher didn't seem to wish to presume the second, and Dante was more than happy to cut to the chase and pose the question himself.  "If... if things don't change.  And if we still wish it when the time comes... would it be agreeable with you and Blue Willow if we gave parenthood a try?"  His tail swished uncertainly now, for he was no longer sure if Lasher's second guess was on the mark.  After all, the Beta question had come out of left field for him.  Who knew if there was another obvious thing he was missing?
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
it was not so, but dante's voice, grown charmingly unsure in the interlude, voiced what lasher had suspected. a great smile grew into fruition on the alpha's face as his companion spoke; he could not hide it, nor the light that brought the emerald tones up from the darker depths of his eyes. "that was my second guess," he revealed quite happily. "the blessing is given, and i am sure willow will have no qualms about such either. the two of you are our family, after all, and i know that you will be a wondrous father and mother to any children that may come about."
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Though Dante's smile grew to match Lasher's own, he continued to refrain from speaking in absolutes. He did not want anything pressuring his mate (or him, for that matter) into finality except for their own wishes.  So he did not want to raise the hopes of anyone else in the pack.  "Thank you.  I hope you are right, if the time comes.  We can only hope we come close to you two's talent."  He knew the praise would likely seem over the top to the humble Alpha, so it was paired with a glint of mischeif.  Despite that, he meant the words.

"I'd appreciate it if you kept it between us, though.  Since nothing is sure yet."  He didn't need the entire pack knowing what they were thinking, no matter how happily the news might be recieved.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
lasher strangely burned beneath his fur at dante's unexpected, albeit humorous, allusion to his prolific status. a little grin curved his lips into a shy bow; he glanced away for a moment, before returning his gaze to dante's own with a faux lift of a coy brow. "i am certain that the pair of you will have no troubles in that regard," he rejoined dryly, though with the same amusement dancing in his eyes.

"of course. may i tell blue willow, or do you believe that better left to osprey?" lasher inquired, aware that the two women were quite close. as it was, the greyscale wolfess would more than likely wish to reveal such news to her companion of her own accord.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"I bet Osprey would enjoy that."  Dante was grateful he had brought it up - he doubted his mate would mind if Lasher was the one to tell her friend, but it would likely be exciting delivering the news herself.  "Thanks Lasher.". It meant the world that he would allow them this.  "I should probably tell her the news."  He cast one more affectionate glance at the alpha, in case he had something else he needed to discuss.  Dante's love for the alpha might not be in the manner the other had once desired (and might still), but it was still there and strong as ever.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
fade here?

unbeknownst to the other, lasher did still bear a modicum of attraction for his fellow leader, but it had lapsed into stagnation, fed only by the joy he felt at the uplighting of dante's features. "please," he granted, gathering himself into a stretch. "i will go and visit the willow," he said softly, reaching out to pass his muzzle briefly along dante's strong shoulder. with a fond glance into the other's eyes, he turned, heading at a slow clip into the heart of donnelaith.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
<3

Dante returned the farewell and watched the other disappear before setting his own course home.Though a part of him was anxious, he could not wait to share the good news, and quiet sort of joy swelled in him.  Things were going so well.  He knew he did not deserve the turn in fortune his life has taken, but he was determined to enjoy it while it lasted.  Worries could wait until a darker time.