Silver Creek And moth-like stars were flickering out
confidence, charisma, character
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
For three days, it rained steadily. For the first two days, Saena hid herself away in an overhang near the creek-side, leaving only to hunt and relieve herself, but on the third day, she could hide no longer. There were things that needed doing and she could no longer stand to lay in gloom and let herself go stir crazy. She needed to move. She needed to provide. And, more than anything, she needed to distract herself from thoughts of her offspring and whether she would ever see them again or not, and the crazy plan taking root in her brain to march out and retrieve them herself.

She shook herself as she came free of the dirt and stone, but there was no need of it, for soon the downpour doused her and any debris that clung to her was surely washed away. It was refreshing and yet it was almost too much. Saena walked for what felt like half an hour, squinting through the rain that penetrated the woodland canopy, before she sought refuge beneath a particularly large tree. Hunting was too difficult in the rain. The scent trails ran like water and everything seemed so willy-nilly that trying to track one thing was like trying to catch smoke.

With a harrumph, she sat down to watch the creek swell, showering the undergrowth with water from her thick pelt.
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
Silver Creek will have Heston all confused by the time it's done with him!

The past few days had been entirely miserable. Heston was not a fan of rain unless it was viewed from within a warm and dry place. He'd yet to pick a permanent den within the borders of Silver Creek, instead favoring staying in different places as the need took him. He was currently deeply regretting that decision and wondering if there happened to be any empty dens he could snag instead.

He still had to eat though, and so he plodded out into the rain again and fed his face. Soon he was soaked, dripping and cold. He decided as soon as the rain let up he was digging a den because he did not want to be caught in such conditions again. Besides, wouldn't it be nice to have a place to shelter a lady if she needed it? He sat under a large tree, squinting angrily into the downpour. After a moment a shape materialized through the haze of rain. He stared, wondering who it could be. Casmir and Laika were not back yet that he knew of. The figure was too thin to be Rowan. It didn't look like Spring, not even in the rain. Perhaps Amber? It'd been quite a time since he'd seen her. 

The only remaining option was either trespasser, or someone he'd not yet met. He moved towards the figure that had chosen a similar but further tree, deciding to end the mystery. "Hello!" He called out over the hiss of the rain. He dashed under the tree just in time to be hit by the wolf's shake. He gave his own, hoping not to hit the other as much. "Apologies. The sky seems to have opened up on us today." He remarked, casting the red and white female a friendly smirk. "My name is Heston, I saw you swimming out there and...well, I didn't know who you were. So I thought I'd change that, since we're both swimming on land."
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
For a time she sat alone, pelted by the odd drop that made it through her tree's thick canopy, but eventually she was found. The wolf that approached was not someone that Saena recognized, and that made her stomach do a queer flip-flop. Once, she ruled these woods. Once, no wolf but those she approved were welcome to walk among its roots and stones. None but those she vetted were permitted to fish from the magnificent creek for which they were named. And there were quite a few of them, then.

But Saena no longer ruled. Spring did. She could do nothing about that, wish it as she might, and she merely needed to accept the fact that wolves she had not chosen herself were making a home out of her home. Those she had chosen must have left, for their scents no longer permeated the woods. This particular wolf was an unfamiliar, heftier fellow with a pale coat dashed through with silver and gunmetal, especially in his saddle. She met his bright orange eyes evenly, but dropped them after a moment in recognition of her lower rank. She could only begin to re-establish her dominance when she regained the respect of the pack, and not before.

Her lips lifted into a disgruntled scowl when Heston shook himself off, but he apologized immediately. The Saena of old would have held it against him regardless. The Saena of now was a bit more forgiving, and inclined her head as if to shrug it off. "Pleasure," she said politely, then added, "my name is Saena." She smirked in agreement as he mentioned the rain, but made no comment on it for the moment.
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
He smirked softly, sitting a polite distance away from her. Being under the same tree was enough without crowding an unknown wolf and sucking up all their air. He nodded to her greeting and was about to reply that the pleasure was his when her name struck his ear. His brow furrowed and he looked her over once more, clearly confused.

"Er...Sorry, the pleasure's all mine. You threw me for a moment there. You said your name was Saena?" He blinked at her a moment, waiting for confirmation or denial. "Saena as in coincidentally named, or Saena as in previous alpha of Silver Creek?" He was blunt, but he'd learned the tales of these lands over his time here.

For a moment he felt as if he were mad, speaking to a ghost of the past. Saena had vanished from the Teekon, they'd not known what happened to her. He resisted the urge to stare intently at her, or to prod her with a paw to see if she was in fact, flesh. Instead he turned his eyes back to the pouring rain, waiting for her answer.
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
With a little more perception to her name, Saena may have been able to predict what Heston would say, but she missed the way his brow crinkled and the uncertainty that clouded his eyes. She was too focused on the rain, or perhaps overlooked it because she didn't know him at all and would never have expected him to know her. His apology was therefore met with confusion of her own, followed by pure bafflement when he repeated her name. There was only one Saena in this world that she knew of and it was her, and she was unfamiliar with Heston, so figured he ought to be unfamiliar with her.

For a brief instant she thought perhaps his question was a matter of the strangeness of her name, but he dispelled that theory with his question. Her ears pressed back reluctantly and her tongue swiped her lips as she attempted to construct an adequate reply. Obviously Heston had heard of her. She assumed the worst, of course, as was her way, and her first instinct was to name all manner of excuses for her unexplained disappearance from the pack.

But Saena was more mature now, and settled with mere confirmation: "Saena Redleaf. Silver Creek belongs to me." Rightfully, anyway. Spring led it now, a fact she would not dispute or challenge, but it would always be hers in her mind.
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
She was confused as he question her name, it was written clearly on her face. He wondered if she thought him a fool, or deaf, but soon she seemed to understand. Her ears pressed back and now was his turn to be confused. Had she not wanted him to know? Finally, she confirmed her name giving with it her sirename and she claimed Silver Creek. He wondered after Spring then, if Saena was back and the Creek belonged to her, as she stated, would Spring no longer be alpha?

He realized the thought unsettled him. No because there was anything wrong with Saena, but because he'd grown fond of Spring. He trusted her to not be the kind of wolf he wanted to avoid. Especially with all that had gone on. Saena, however, was mostly unknown. It felt a bit like meeting someone from the past, from myth. As far as he'd been concerned the stories of Saena and Reek were distant past, though he knew they weren't truly. It was strange to meet her face to face, knowing so much about her past and her personal life and her knowing nothing of him.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Saena. I am glad to see you returned safe to Silver Creek. You've met with Spring already?" He could smell the female on Saena faintly, under the rain. At least Spring was aware. He'd hate to think that Saena had come back and he was the first to find her. He'd likely have panicked if so. A part of his was still not entirely convinced she wasn't a ghost afterall. "I joined not too long ago, we've never met but I heard about you from Spring and Shreya. They told me how you lead the pack here." He politely avoided the reason why, but he wanted to explain how he knew her. "That was very brave of you, Silver Creek has an impressive history to live up to." He wasn't sure what else to say. He felt awkward. Saena wasn't the alpha, but...should he show submissive posture to her?
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
Saena adjusted her posture on her haunches, but remained seated beneath the tree while Heston spoke his pleasantries. She dipped her head in acknowledgement of his formal greeting, but allowed him to finish without interruption while she mulled over how to speak to someone who knew her but whom she was unfamiliar with. He had only been a part of the pack a short while by his admission, which explained why Saena hadn't met him, and his explanation that Spring and Shreya had shone light on her story brought a measure of relaxation to her shoulders and stiff back.

She didn't remember Shreya as well as she ought to, but she trusted Spring. She'd appointed the woman as her second for a reason, after all. A wolf that Spring trusted was one Saena ought to be able to trust as well, and while that wasn't always the case, she felt no reason to mistrust Heston. "I met with her a few days ago," she confirmed. It was very possible that Saena would have crossed the borders without Spring's permission had she grown impatient enough, but the girl had led for over half her life, and was used to doing as she pleased. She'd followed protocol this time, fortunately for both her and Heston.

His words about Silver Creek brought a dark silence upon Saena for a moment, and then she shook her head. "It was cowardly," she countered. She'd cared more the safety of her children than her own ideals. While that was probably true of all mothers, Saena knew that Phoenix Maplewood could have crushed Reek's fledgling pack, and having forgotten about the larger threat that had been their true reason for leaving, she no longer remembered why she'd been so afraid.

"I should have fought for my home. For my pack. We would have won." But you didn't want to face him, a tiny voice murmured knowingly in her mind. You didn't want to kill him. That had been Saena's mistake. She'd hated Reek but the thought of killing her former mate had turned her away from defending the maplewood and set her upon this course instead. Her reluctance to end his life had changed the day he'd taken her daughters from the creek, though, and her expression changed from pensive to stormy at that thought.
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
He was pleased that at least he could confirm with Spring that Saena was not a ghost. He made a mental note to himself that he should seek her out, as her what the protocol was for this. Her response about leading the wolves of Silver Creek here brought his gaze from the rain to her.

"I can understand feeling like that." He said softly, thinking of his own cowardice. "Who knows how things would have gone though," He said, speaking both to Saena and himself. Reassuring both parties as one. "Silver Creek is flourishing here, has survived the famine and from what I can see is doing great for itself. It wouldn't be this way without you. Spring is a strong female too, my opinion probably doesn't count for much, but I'm proud to follow under her." He looked to her curiously for a moment, not asking the question that was clear as day written on his face. Would Saena resume lead now? He'd still follow her, of course, he had no intentions of leaving. It was Saena who had appointed Spring in the first place.

He could tell her mind had focused on bad things now, possibly on the girls that were still missing. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring the mood down." He glanced back to the rain and frowned. "Or, well, I didn't mean to make the mood make the weather." Saena sounded like a good leader though. Any wolf could take praise for saving the pack from war, but a good leader would dispute the phrase no matter what. "All the same it's a honor to meet you, Saena. If you ever need anything just give me a howl and I'll be happy to help." He wasn't leaving, but realized he might sound like he was. To counter that he lowered himself to the ground, laying among the leaves and roots of the tree that sheltered them.
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
"Mm," said Saena noncommittally. She was much too prone to dwelling on what could have been to see the point Heston made. She was so caught up on the belief that remaining and fighting would have been the better option that she could not entertain the notion that this was the best thing that could have happened for her pack. There were better outcomes, surely. Outcomes that didn't end with her daughters being kidnapped by their father, likely oblivious to the danger he presented, or else all too familiar with it and scared out of their minds. Had they just done what they should have and killed him, Silver Creek would never have had to deal with Reek again.

She listened half-heartedly as Heston insisted that the pack was flourishing, but there was an uncomfortable pang in her chest when he spoke about Spring. It was an unfair feeling, but Saena was jealous, naturally. This pack was hers in her eyes. She had made all the hard calls. Done everything she could for the pack. She felt owed the reins, and yet they hadn't been given to her. Spring's offer to share leadership was still between them and was far more than Saena deserved, yet the more she thought on it and the less guilty she felt for her disappearance, the more she didn't want to share it. Hearing Heston praise Spring was nice, but reprehensible jealousy still squeezed her chest. She was proud of her friend, grateful that she'd kept Silver Creek afloat while its true Alpha was missing, true... but Saena still felt the position belonged to her, and that was something she warred with beneath the concern for her children.

"Yeah," she said with a barely hidden grimace, "Spring's really great." If only Saena was a subordinate wolf. If only she hadn't been a leader for over half her life. If only following someone else was something she was capable of doing without feeling like she'd failed herself. Everything would be easier that way. With a wistful sigh to answer Heston's apology and offer, Saena rolled her shoulders and said, "thank you. You're very kind." But Heston was not a wolf of hers, and so she couldn't see herself taking him up on his offer. She didn't want to owe him later.

"I think I'll head back home," she told him, lifting herself off the ground. The overhang she'd hidden in for several days was quiet, dry enough, and allowed her to be alone with her dark and possibly treasonous thoughts. "It was nice meeting you," she said with a thin smile that didn't do a great job of hiding her inner misery, and then she set off into the rain with her ears draped across her scalp in an effort to stay dry.
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
It was obvious she didn't agree with his assessment of the move here, but he understood that all good leaders would be that way. They would worry over the decisions they had made, wonder if the outcome could have been better. Surely, it could have been worse...but if they were a better fighter, thinker, plotter, wolf in general, what might have happened? He understood it, and respected it, though he was truly no person to give an opinion on what would have been the right choice. He could only see the present, and the present was pleasing enough to him.

There was a sadness in Saena, perhaps even despair, that he didn't think had anything to do with the girls being gone. He wasn't aware of her enough to connect the dots, he'd only just met her. He wasn't watching as she grimaced, and merely took her reply as lackluster for some other reason. He nodded, agreeing with her that Spring was great. He wished he knew Saena better. He wanted to say she'd learned from the best...but hell if he knew if that was Saena.

"It's no trouble, truly. Anything at all." He wondered why she suddenly wanted to leave, wondered if he'd talked too much or said something wrong. He only nodded, concern in his eyes. "Of course, it was nice meeting you as well. Have a safe swim home, Saena." He smirked at his own joke, watching as she disappeared back into the veil of rain. He wondered if he'd somehow messed up his first impression with Saena but couldn't, for the life of him, figure out what he could have said to upset her.