Sleepy Fox Hollow king of my sunshine palace
kind of struggled not to shine
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
All Welcome 
@Rannoch, this is for you! [Image: gamekeeper.gif]

Slavik often thought about how his life might be different had he stayed at home with his family. With Arway, and his mom and dad. The Kendry pack was very close, the tightest of families, and the most paramount of allies. He'd always felt safe and loved on those rolling plains, in the sparce forests that littered the terrain, in the rocky outcroppings that sprung from the earth and the meadows of flowers that blossomed in spring. Kendry plains had made it a home, and a most brilliant home it was. But the pack also had traditions; at one year of age a pup must choose whether or not to stay with the pack, or leave. Those who stayed were pledging themselves to the pack, those who left, were leaving it behind for good. Slavik had made his decision, and apart from rare visits, he would not see those plains again.

But what if he had stayed? He would still have that protection and comfort, that love and support, a companion by his side. He'd started this journey with one companion, but somewhere along the way she'd decided she didn't need Slavik anymore. That hurt him quite a bit, his feelings and ego were quite fragile, for such a big, confident looking wolf. Despite his fiery personality, he was a bit naiive. He'd believed his sister Simsey when she'd convinced him to leave with her, when she said they would find their own way together. What a fool he'd been, he loved Simsey but Arway had always been the more reliable Kendry daughter.

Whatever his fate may have been should he have stayed, it didn't matter now anyway. For here he was, a speck of gold in a sea of green, alone and mumbling to himself about how his sister was a liar, and about how this whole forest smelled like actual fox shit. He wanted to get out of this area as soon as possible, hopefully to somewhere less fox infested. He kept a brisk pace, his long muscular legs making easy work of it.
[Image: caretaker.gif] 0/5
[Image: gamekeeper.gif] 4/5
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Even though Rannoch was weak, the groundhog had been weaker; he savored the victory. Lately, triumphs within Sunspire had been far and few between. 

Slavik's scent wafted in Rannoch's general direction just as he was about to dig in—the Alpha's curiosity got the better of his hunger. Licking the splash of blood that painted his lips, Rannoch re-directed his regard to where the blonde-haired brute strode. He borked suddenly, finding himself increasingly interested in the transient. Rannoch didn't recognize Slavik's scent as one that was aligned with Sunspire's neighboring packs. 

Thank you for starting!
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
no prob <3

Slavik paused when he heard a bork! He’d been very caught up in his thoughts and his teenage brooding that the sound startled him, and he sneezed. Everyone had a reflex action, this was his. He turned his head when he did so, and shook his head to clear it of the slight tickle. His golden eyes fell on a gray man, fluffy and large. At first glance Slavik felt intimidated, but he soon noticed that the other was not displaying any threatening behavior, so he followed suit and moved towards the other with friendly gait.

The blonde kept a comfortable distance between them, and spoke first, Hey man, sorry if I’m getting close to somewhere I shouldn’t be. I’m just traveling through the area. He wanted to make that clear sooner than later. He then paused, and after a moment realized he hadn’t introduced himself, Slavik by the way! I’m Slavik. He said with a smile, his tail still swaying affably.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"Oh, no need to be sorry at all," Rannoch replied with a smile; he was happy that Slavik appeared to be as friendly as he was. "These are unclaimed lands, and my curiosity got the better of me," he mused. "You don't smell like you're around here," he elaborated. 

"Slavik? It's nice to meet you. I'm Rannoch, of Sunspire," he introduced and motioned to the west-standing peace with a jerk of his head.
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
Rannoch was a relief to Slavik. Though he'd crossed many scent trails and caught the wind carried pack scents, the last wolf he'd actually encountered was at least three weeks ago. He certainly hadn't wanted his first interaction in three weeks to be a shitty one, so the fact that Rannoch seemed a cool and friendly guy allowed Slavik to relax and feel comfortable. He always felt better when he was around others, so this was just what he needed to get his mind off all his worries.

Rannoch mentioned that he didn't smell familiar, Slavik chuckled lightly and gestured jerkily to the south from where he'd come.

I'm from a plains pack that-a-way, the Kendry's. I left with my sister but she decided she was gonna do her own thing I guess, and that's how I ended up here. He said with a shrug, then put his annoying sister Simsey out of mind. Rannoch introduced himself and Slavik replied, Nice to meet you Rannoch. he paused and then, If you don't mind, Sunspire is your pack? He assumed it was, but he wanted to make sure.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
The Kendry's—the name was unfamiliar to Rannoch. He glanced in the direction where Slavik had motioned to for a moment, before returning his attention to his company. "I've never heard of it," he admitted with evident curiosity. "Is it a few days travel from here?" 

When asked about Sunspire, Rannoch's nodded. "It is my pack," he confirmed, "How'd you guess?"
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
Rannoch's visible curiosity about Slavik's home pack was somehow surprising to Slavik. He'd never thought of the Kendry Plains pack as an extremely interesting one, there wasn't much to say except that it was a small family pack, with lots of grass. Took me a week or so, I doubt you've been near there before. It's basically just a bunch of fields and a couple meadows, nothing too interesting, he said with a shrug.

Now onto the more interesting subject, Rannoch's pack! It was confirmed to be Sunspire, but when Rannoch asked how he'd known Slavik wasn't sure if it was sarcasm or a truthful question. He smiled, and decided when in doubt it was best to just respond, Well you said your name was Rannoch of Sunspire, I just took a guess, he said with a light chuckle.

What's it like? he asked, reffering to the pack.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch listened with interest as Slavik described his former residence; it sounded lovely. "Sounds nice," Rannoch complimented with a smile. "But, I could understand wanting to leave such a picturesque place to travel the world," he added after a brief pause to consider the feelings of the stranger, "There's so much more to see, and you choose an interesting place to explore." 

"You're good at guessing," Rannoch mused in light of Slavik's reply. "It's wonderful," he breathed, his smile genuine. "We're a pack with strong numbers and an even stronger bond—just like a family. Although, we are in the process of looking for a new home." There was no reason for Rannoch to keep this truth a secret. "We've outgrown the mountain, and are looking for a territory that will suit all of us." He couldn't help but wonder what Slavik made of the information he was given.

Sorry for the wait!
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
not at all!

Slavik hummed in agreement when Rannoch spoke about traveling the world, and all there was to see. He’d enjoyed living on the plains, and definitely missed it, but he couldn’t help but love the thrill and anticipation of the adventure he’d embarked on. There was indeed so much to see in Teekon, Simsey was missing out, wherever she was. I’ve been having a good time so far, your actually the first wolf I’ve seen in a little while. I’ve definitely liked all the territories, but this forest smells like ass, he mused wryly.

What Rannoch said about this Sunspire pack could be applied to the Kendry’s as well; the strong familial bond that tied the wolves together. Though what really left Slavik in awe was the absolute adoration and pride that Rannoch showed for his pack. He loved it dearly and it showed. That was the kind of pack that Slavik could get used to, one that he hoped to settle down in eventually. Sounds like your pretty lucky dude! Slavik said with an enthusiastic sweep of his long golden tail through the air.

The stormy gray male explained that they were looking for a new home, and Slavik glanced up at the mountain. It seemed big enough for a pack, perhaps their numbers exceeded what Slavik was imagining as a ‘strongly numbered’. What area are you guys moving to? If you know yet, he asked curiously, and also because if he were to find himself in need of a pack, he’d like to know where he could turn to.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch couldn't help but laugh at Slavik's remark. "You're right," he agreed, "I have no idea why prey still hangs around here, either. I mean, it's pretty obvious that there are a ton of predators around." He snorted. "It's been working in my favor since I started hunting in this area, at least." Sleepy Fox Hollow was where Rannoch had been most successful in finding prey. 

He nodded at the sentiment; Rannoch was lucky, and he knew it. "I am," he agreed. 

When asked of where they were going to move, Rannoch motioned east-ward. "Somewhere east of the mountains," he revealed. "We've spotted some herds moving that way, and we have some allies there, too." Frankly, it'd be a win-win for Sunspire. "How about you?" Rannoch asked then, as he quirked a brow. "Are you going to keep exploring?"
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
Slavik's grin spread as Rannoch replied to his little joke. At the mention of the prey animals, Slavik let out an amused snort, who knows. Sometimes I wonder if they think like us, cause if they do then they're all just kinda stupid, he thought outloud. The sunshine wolf was thoroughly enjoying this conversation, Rannoch reminded him of his sisters, at least in Arway, in his cool yet outgoing manner. It made Slavik feel comfortable and connected.

Rannoch answered Slavik's question about the big move with an eastbound gesture. He spoke of allies and prey, it sounded like a pretty solid deal. Nice, he replied with a slight nod. When the topic was turned back to him, Slavik wasn't sure what to say. Thus far he'd just been going, he'd figured that he'd settle with a pack eventually, but he had no idea when and he had no definite resting grounds. He was very tempted to ask whether or not Sunspire was taking wolves at the moment.

But then two things stopped him from doing so. Number one: obviously the mountains pack was moving because they were so numerous, would they really appreciate another young mouth to feed? Number two (and possibly the more influential of the two): he wanted to see more of this beautiful amazing world before settling down again. He knew that joining a pack wouldn't restrict his ability to travel, at least he hoped, but he couldn't help admitting that he loved the freedom of being to go wherever he wanted.

I think I'm gonna explore some more, apparently there's a lot to see here! But I'll probably want to find a pack sometime soon, I think, he said with a roll of his shoulders.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"You know, I've wondered that myself," Rannoch replied; did prey-animals think like they did? "I mean, I've heard of some instances of where they've communicated with wolves," at least, that's what he had been told, "But I've never done so myself. So... if they can talk to us... then they can think like us? Right?" Rannoch laughed suddenly and shook his head. "Yeah, they're totally dumb," he concluded. 

When Slavik discussed his plans, Rannoch nodded. "That sounds like a solid plan," he remarked. "There's an ocean to the north, and plains to the west," there would be plenty for Slavik to explore. "But, whenever you need a pack, I will accept you into my ranks, if you'd like." Rannoch would understand if Slavik rejected—they were low on resources, after all.  "We could use a wolf like you, who likes to explore, to help us find our new home," he offered.
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
Slavik had personally never communicated with another specie before. He’d always assumed they didn’t speak wolf, so he hadn’t tried. Even if they did, did he really want to hear what they had to say. It’d probably only make him feel guilty for eating them all the time. That would be wild, what would you even say to a rabbit? he said with an amused look. ‘Hey sorry I ate your cousin, circle of life though’, he imagined himself saying to a small brown rodent. Very weird.

The dumbest, he echoed in agreement to Rannoch’s conclusion. 

Slavik listened eagerly as his companion described the lands he’d yet to explore; an ocean, plains to the west, both places he’d like to see. He was surprised at Rannoch’s next offer, but also flattered. He would think about it for sure, the pack seemed pretty amazing. Thanks so much, that means a lot. Though I’m honestly more of a hunter than an explorer, this whole adventure was a go all in or not at all sort of deal, he said with a chuckle, but if you need help with exploring I wouldn’t mind at all.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"Hey... thanks for being tasty?" Rannoch experimented; he immediately regretted his choice of words. "Can't.... wait for dinner?" Rannoch snorted—he wasn't very good at conversing with his food."Maybe I shouldn't talk to my food," Rannoch mused as he shook his head. 

When Slavik replied, Rannoch was surprised to hear how receptive he was to the idea of joining Sunspire. "We need hunters, too," he responded with a smile; he was curious to know what else interested Slavik. "Do you know what else you'd like to aspire to be?" Rannoch quickly realized that his question was impertinent, and quickly, he added, "If you don't mind sharing."
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
Both of Rannoch’s suggestions were just as bad as Slavik’s internal thoughts, the boy laughed. Yeah maybe not.

Rannoch asked more into what Slavik aspired to do, and this was the first question that Slavik had a semi definite answer for. He’d always excelled in hunting; he was big and capable of hunting both small game and larger game efficiently, he had great senses and tracked well, and he was a team player. As for fighting, he was highly capable and had trained some, however he didn’t like violence, especially when it was unnecessary which he deemed it to be in most situations. He was a diplomatic and empathetic male, so hurting others only hurt him too.

One thing he’d also always love was taking care of other wolves. He’d babysit often in his old pack, and also spent the majority of his last few months there helping his sister adjust to life with a crippled leg. Helping others brought him joy, and he wouldn’t mind putting those skills to good use. Other than being a hunter, I want to be like... a caregiver? I love playing with kids, and my sister had an accident when we were younger and has a crippled leg, so I’m used to helping her out. I just like the way it feels to make someone else’s life better. I’d like to learn some healing too someday, he said, happy to share.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"I used to be a caregiver" Rannoch admitted fondly. "A sitter, specifically," he clarified, "I really miss it sometimes." Rannoch had become a Caregiver for similar reasons— he also enjoyed making other's lives better. 

"Well, I some feisty kids at home," he remarked. No, he wasn't hinting anything at all. "I've been looking for a designated sitter for them for quite some time now."
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
A sitter! Yeah that would be fun, Slavik said, Rannoch had successfully found the word Slavik was looking for. Slavik wasn't all too surprised that Rannoch had once been a sitter, he had that vibe about him. He was wondering why the other male had stopped and was going to ask about it when Rannoch spoke about having kids. His kids! Slavik was surprised by that. He figured that Rannoch was older than him, but Slavik had seen him as being a teen too. The idea of having kids at this point in his life seemed daunting to him!

You have kids? Like your own? he asked just to clarify, his expression was clearly in surprise but also a bit awestruck.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch nodded. "Yes, four of 'em," he confirmed. "Born a few moons ago." Rannoch still couldn't believe how quickly they had grown. "Three girls, Remi, Wisteria, and Deshyr, and a boy, Breccan," his pride and joy. "They're at a fun age, too. They're starting to discover the world, and it's... incredible. It makes you appreciate things that you never did before." 

"The job is yours if you come to Sunspire," he added after a brief pause. "You're a good wolf, Slavik, and from what I've experienced in our conversation, I trust you."  Although Rannoch's trust was easy to win, it was also easy to lose; Slavik would be held to this code, as every other wolf was.
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
Four of them! Slavik's shocked expression broke into a grin as Rannoch described them. The other male was clearly very proud, and Slavik found himself eager to meet the kids. But not yet! He reminded himself. He had to keep exploring first. Then maybe he'd come back. He was certainly being swayed more and more towards Sunspire by the second, and yet his heart still told him to see some more of this amazing world first.

They sound awesome, I'm sure you're a great dad too, he said. Rannoch said that Slavik was welcome to the sitter position should he come to Sunspire, and that he trusted Slavik so far. That too, meant a great deal to Slavik. He felt that he'd truly made a friend today. Good thing the ass smell hadn't deterred him from this forest, otherwise he never would've met Rannoch or learned about his four kids and his pack. Thanks man, I'll definitely consider your offer. You might see me back in a week or two, after my body finally says stop, he mused.

After all that Rannoch had just offered him, Slavik felt that he should do something for him and the Sunspire pack. Would you want to go for a hunt? Whatever we catch you can keep and take back to your three girls and one boy. He said with a light laugh.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch was humbled by Slavik's compliment; he tipped his muzzle in recognition of the other wolf's opinion. "I feel like I'm still a novice in comparison to other Dads," he mused lightly, "That's one thing you'll learn, as a sitter or if you ever decide to be a parent—theres always something to learn about rearing children." 

"I'd love that," Rannoch replied once Slavik proposed a hunt. He then glanced at the groundhog at his paws. "Do you need some fuel before we begin?" he offered before he leaned down and nudged the cadaver closer to his acquaintance.
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
Slavik nodded as Rannoch shared what he’d learned in fatherhood. And he was sure that knowing how to care for other people’s kids and caring for your own were likely very different, Slavik tried to imagine what kind of dad he would be if he ever had his own bundles of joy. I bet, he replied.

Slavik was thrilled when Rannoch agreed to hunt with him. His companion offered him some of his groundhog, that Slavik had undoubtedly sent some hungry looks towards throughout their conversation. He didn’t want to take the groundhog, as he was sure the Sunspire wolves wouldn’t appreciate a loner getting fed first, but his stomach reasoned with him that whatever he ate now he could make up for in a minute with his hunting skills. Thank you, he said, bowing his head to take a small chunk of flesh out of the groundhog’s side. 

He ate quickly, then licked his lips clean with a salmon pink tongue. Feeling rejuvenated and ready for a good hunt, he stretched his legs and gave Rannoch a smile. Ok, the tank is full and I’m ready to go! he said, always more playful and enthusiastic when he was fueled up.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Although it was a gamble to give a stranger food instead of his own, Rannoch felt as though the reward would outweigh the risk—after all, Slavik had survived on his own and appeared to be well-fed. 

Once the groundhog was topped off, and the lone wolf confirmed he was ready, Rannoch took the lead. Without another word, he lifted his head to sniff so that he could examine the scents around them.  Aside from the obvious stench of fox, Rannoch could detect a handful of fresh prey scents—most of them being small prey. Rannoch turned to his companion, as he focused in on one odor in particular: [o]feral pigs[/i]. "I'm smelling a small group of pigs nearby," he observed. "Do you have experience hunting 'em?"
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
Slavik allowed Rannoch to lead the way through the forest. He stopped when Rannoch paused to sniff the air, taking in the scents around him. Slavik did the same, and aside from fox he smelled the usual little animals that frequented his menu. One took his interest because it was a scent he hadn’t come across since leaving the plains. Rannoch had picked up on it to, and asked Slavik if he was familiar with pigs. Slavik made an amused huff, Do I? The plains were full of those things. I’m sure we could catch one, he replied.

He zoned in on the feral pig scent, and began to follow it with his nose to the ground. Rannoch followed close behind, and it wasn’t long before the two large males came to a small hollow clearing where a small family of pigs shuffled through the tall grass. He tucked his tail and god down, so they wouldn’t smell or see him. Do you want to distract or chase? He whispered to Rannoch, his golden eyes remained locked on the pigs.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"Are they?" Rannoch asked rhetorically; the information about the pigs in the plains would be useful to Sunspire's hunters. "Good to know," he affixed after a beat. 

The two men set off in the direction of where the pig's scent originated, and, quickly, they discovered the congregation of hogs. They loitered in the distance, oblivious to the threats that loomed meters away. As Rannoch lowered himself to the floor, he turned to Slavik. "Whatever you think I should do," he replied in a whisper, "I want you to lead this hunt."
188 Posts
Ooc — Zoa
Rannoch wanted Slavik to lead this hunt. Probably to see if he had the skills to back up his mouth. He nodded, then turned back to the flock. He targeted two pigs in particular, a large bull of pig with lots of meat (the more ambitious quarry) and a small yet amply rotund sow. He scanned their surroundings for obstacles or expedients, then once he’d come up with a plan he turned back to Rannoch. I wanna go after either that one, he gestured to the big pig, or that one, he gestured to the small.

If you could stay here, I’m gonna sneak around the clearing, so we’re across from each other. Once I’m there make a sound and they should try to run in the opposite direction from you, which will lead them straight to me. I’ll keep my eyes on those two and take down whichever one comes nearest, he said, trying to emulate his mother when she had lead pack hunts. He’d always admired her skills, and she’d taught him most of what he knew on the subject. Then with a optimistic grin he said, Sounds good?

slav’s 50th post!!!