Lost Creek Hollow What happened to that college fund?
Jalapeño
470 Posts
Ooc —
Private 
@Xan

Nunataq's relationship with her father was an odd and distant one. A very long time ago she had thought of him as something akin to a god. He was big, he was respected, he was strong, he brought food back and on rare occasions, when he was not away, he would play with her too. However, during that important period, when she had begun to build the first meaningful relationships with people around her, Xan had missed this out and as a result in his daughter's eyes he was listed among other acquaintances that she really did not care for much.

But maybe all was not that bad and in a way she was more similar to her father than everyone else realized. It was only now, when she did not have to share her living space and time with a bunch of people, that she realized she enjoyed being on her own, that with very few exceptions she also was awkward at showing affection or feel empathy to people around her, and that she preferred not to struggle with it, but accept this as a fact in life that she was unable to change.

On the day, when she caught her father's scent nearby and found his footprints, that meant he had passed her apartment lately, she set out on to find him. Now that her relationship with Indra was somewhat damaged and was going to have a very long recovery process, she could focus on building something new. And, why shouldn't she start with her father, who unbeknownst to her had been excluded from his children's lives from the very beginning.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Most days, Alexander wandered. He did not know this land and had a hard time deciding whether or not he truly cared enough to take the time to discover it in full; at the end of the day, he was there only because it was where his family had gone and he, wanting not to repeat his childhood, stayed for them. Whether or not he was actually wanted was a matter to be discussed but, clearly, not one that he put much thought into on his own time. He knew he was not well liked, he knew he’d done some things that he could not take back, but he still wanted to remain there, if only to watch his children grow from afar. If that was all he could be given then, perhaps, he could be happy with just that alone.

Though the sound of steady footfalls told him that, that might not need to be the case. As Xan slowed, he swung his head to the side to glance over his shoulder, the sight bringing him to a full stop and encouraging him to turn. He faced his daughter with a look of curiosity, wondering what she was doing—and then who might be with her, which he confirmed to be no one after glancing past her. Somewhat satisfied by this, he closed whatever distance she had yet to and, with a friendly wave of his tail—a foreign action to him, really—aimed to try and touch his muzzle to her forehead in greeting.
I can give it all to you, will you take it all from me
If love is a joke, then use me ruthlessly
Threads are titled after lyrics from Block B's “Toy”
Jalapeño
470 Posts
Ooc —
While Nunataq avoided other people touching her (with the exceptions of her two friends Arlette and Merrick, and up until recently - Indra as well), she patiently endured her father's manner of greeting and later took a polite step back, when she felt it was enough. Xan seemed to be doing good, being his usual distant self, but, if that had bored and held no interest to his daughter before, now she was drawn to it. Because unlike Indra his being did not demand anything from her, was free of the obssessive need to control. She liked his coolness and indifference, this meant that she was free to do and be, whatever and whoever she wanted.

She looked at him in an expectant silence, ready to join him in his patrol, if such permission was granted, and eager to learn more about the trade.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
His touch did not linger, though that wasn’t something he was particularly bothered by; whilst his own father was keen on holding the contact, Alexander was indifferent. When his daughter stepped back he did not approach again, keeping what space she’d put between them there. As per usual, she said nothing—it reminded him of her mother and how, as much as he hated to admit it, he missed the silence; everyone else was always so quick to speak with words and words alone, whereas he’d always sought the silence. Such was a trait that he’d tried to change, once upon a time, but those days were long gone and he found himself more at ease now.

For a moment longer he observed his daughter, his eyes trailing from one part of her to the next, taking note of just how much she’d grown. With what appeared to be a smile, he tossed his head as he motioned for her to follow whilst he turned and began trotting off.
Jalapeño
470 Posts
Ooc —
Nunataq would have followed Xan even if he had told her not to do so. The rule "what he did not see, did not bother him" was freely applied to all people - once they turned their backs to the mute troublemaker, their demands, requests or pleas did not count. However, this was not such an occasion, she went after her father readily, keeping side to side with him, where the path permitted to do so or falling behind him, where it did not. All the while she was casting curious looks around, trying to guess, where they were going and what were they going to do.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Alexander had no set destination in mind—or, rather, he wasn’t yet ready to journey out to the places he wished for her to see. So he walked, steadily guiding her away from prying eyes whilst remaining within the territory. And as he walked, games passed through his mind, things taught to him by his own father, and his father before him, having been passed through the generations. Although, perhaps, he should have engaged her mind with one of those many ways to pass the time, he settled for what he knew best and his movements slowed. With little to no warning, the albino turned and struck out, intending to land a gentle nip on her shoulder, tail wagging; the motion struck him as odd but he tried to consciously maintain it, not wanting to give the impression that she was in trouble.
Jalapeño
470 Posts
Ooc —
Nothing much happened and gradually Nunataq's interest in the surroundings waned and she retreated to her own thoughts, concerning treasure spots that were scattered across the whole hollow and planning, which one she was going to visit today. That mummified hedgehog had been an interesting finding... perhaps, she should show it to Merrick. He was intelligent enough to appreciate everything that Nuna presented to him. Or - it had been while, since she had passed by the river. The thought of fish made her mouth water and her far-off gaze light up in excitement. Or...

She did not get to finish this trail of thoughts, because her father had turned out and was suddenly attacking her. She reeled away from him and put a distance between him and herself. Fur bristled along her back and with beared teeth she growled at Xan. What the hell, man???
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
To be met with bared teeth was to be expected; he had suddenly turned on her, after all. Had she not reacted in that way, he might have thought there to be something wrong, that she was too trusting—something he’d learned long ago that they could not be, not if they wanted to survive. So, rather than mirroring her actions, he continued to wave his tail up over his back and snorted, urging her to engage. Unconvinced that, that might be enough, he attempted to nip at her front paws—gently—furthering his attempt at encouraging her to wrestle.
Jalapeño
470 Posts
Ooc —
The white beast seemed to think that this was a good way to begin a game and did not seem apologetic in the least for him scaring her. Making her to take offence for this reason, she growled a bit more and retreated from him, so that her paws were out of his reach. So unlikely her, she was not in a mood for a play now. Instead she turned away from her father, trotted towards a place, where she had spotted a stick earlier, picked it up, plopped down on her belly and began to chew on it, completley ignoring him.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
She did not engage, much to his surprise. He stopped where he was and watched her retreating form, head slightly cocked, as he wondered what was wrong with her. She seemed to be just fine on a physical level, so what was the issue? A low growl of frustration smothered itself within his throat as he continued to observe her, now at a loss. What was he supposed to do with her, if not play a game? What did fathers do with their children?

Huffing, he did the only other thing he could think to do—which was to approach and plop down in front of her, ever so watchful; he recalled his own father often watching after him, so he figured he might as well give that a shot—even if it was incredibly boring to do.
Jalapeño
470 Posts
Ooc —
I chuckled at "What do fathers do with their children?" part. I think all parents regardless of their role in the family face the same question from time to time. :)

Nunataq continued to munch on her stick with an air of an insulted queen a long time after Xan had come and taken a place not too far from her. Observing her quietly. She was very busy ignoring him, though now and then a quick and sneaqy sweep of her gaze went in his direction. Nuna's jaws were busy turning the stick into dust, but the gears of her mind were spinning and trying to find a good use, an advantage of her father being here, so near her and apparently clueless of the danger his daughter could pose.

It finally ocurred to her to test a certain theory - without sparing him another look, she picked up her stick, got to her feet and moved some distance away from him. She placed her prized possession down, held it with one forepaw and continued to chew on it's other end, while her eyes now were fixed on Xan and her mind was calculating his next actions.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
for sure! i totally think xan asks himself that question far more than any other parent, though lmao

As she got up and relocated yet again, his gaze trailed after her and his ears perked. He remained still at first, his observing of her being continued from afar, until he caught her peering back. With a low, barely audible huff, Alexander rose from his place and moved towards her once again, settling the same distance away as previously.

Sitting down, he stared back at his daughter and remained just as silent. Now what? his eyes seemed to ask as he, too, thought intently of what her next move may be.
Jalapeño
470 Posts
Ooc —
Eureka! It had worked! Nunataq's tail began to wag a bit more excitedly than she had wanted to let on. Nevertheless she repeated the same feat few times more, until she grew tired of playing a fool out of her father, forgave him his earlier misdeeds with an air of a queen and then engaged in a hefty sparring session.

Little did she know that this would be one and the only memory of her father that she would keep for the rest of her life.