Silver Creek interruptus
66 Posts
Ooc — mercury
All Welcome 
At last, the creek emerges within the foliage, growing from an impossibly tiny trickle of water to the steady flow with which she is more familiar. Addison follows it, nose low, her paws leaving faint tracks through the mud. The stream is her ticket home.

Addison does not remember how they took her, and she will never know why. One moment, she was quietly collecting herbs; the next, she felt a pressure 'round her neck, something bitter and cold forced between her lips—and then she awoke in a place she had never seen before, surrounded by unfamiliar, unsmiling faces. Judging her. Sizing her up. As if they were to make a meal of her.

Well, they did. They ate her soul.

Whatever dark magic they had worked upon her had wormed its way into her already-black heart and rotted it further. What was once cold is now dead. Her colorless gaze is glazed over, her once virtuous mind sullied. They gave her poppies to calm her, and did spells over her half-conscious form. . .and oh, these spells! Carnal, primal—violent spells.

A virgin of the flesh she may still be, but she is no longer pure. The Odolf witch—she once so fondly thought of herself as such, but it is no longer hyperbole. She is bewitched, ensnared, malignant. All who touch her shall die.

Will the children that grow within her womb fester in similar fashion? Will they emerge as demons, eager to consume, rather than the proud, handsome beings they should be? Part of her loathes the thought of bringing such evil to the world, and yet, the choice is not hers to make, if she is to return. Without the promise of pups, she is worthless to her brothers.

So the witches. . .or the Odolfs. Caught between two worlds, both unforgiving.

Addison stops by a bend in the creek and sends a howl to @Grayson, the sound of it unmistakably hollow, broken. Like a vase, cracked in two, put back together—but wrong.
116 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Oryx won't go near the borders on her own- unless Addison calls her closer :)

When howls went up on the air, Oryx tended not to listen to them, unless it was one of the Rosings wolves calling for a meeting. The duty of patrolling the borders fell into the hands of the men, so she did not seek to complicate matters by going anywhere near the borders- especially at this time of year. Whether it was a female or male that called, neither bothered her, generally- though she would welcome the females in warmly once she had a chance to meet them. It still did not necessarily mean that she should greet every female that came to the borders, though- but this time, something was different. 

This time, she recognized the voice. 

There was a hollow tone to it, but she recognized it regardless. Addison was back; but something was amiss. She was calling for Grayson, but Oryx- as a healer- was tempted to go and meet her, just in case she needed help. She'd disappeared so suddenly that none of them had quite known what to make of it- but none of them had been capable of going after her, either. So in response, Oryx answered. She was in the area, and would greet her if needed- but at the same time, she did want to give Addison and Grayson privacy...And figured that had Addison needed medical attention, she might have called for it...Though at that moment, it was too hard to tell if her call had been a plea for help or not.
those whom life does not cure, death will.
270 Posts
Ooc —
cameo. Skip in future turns.

iliksis had inflicted enough pain on the world to recognize a sufferer when he saw it — and while he was disappointed to learn he had not been the one to break Addison, he came to her call all the same. he did not notice oryx as he made way towards the perimeters.  

one glance is all it takes to see she has changed irrevocably. disapprovingly, iliksis raked her gaze across her — but then, he drew away. better for grayson to witness her free of his presence; without any comment, the beast quietly receded, his hungry gaze flashing to Addison once before bidding departure.
warning: PG-18+ explicit content.
66 Posts
Ooc — mercury
The first to greet her is a familiar face, though not the one she sought—Oryx. Perhaps it is better this way. Grayson will not take kindly to her new aura, one darker than before, less pure. He will know it instantly, as will Harrison. Oryx, at least, may understand in some measure what she has been through, though Addison has no plans to tell her of it. Not yet.

Oryx, she calls gently, lifting her chin and beckoning her closer. The dark woman had been an ally, and Addison hopes to keep her in that category. Her polar eyes stray, then, to a flash of movement nearby, a shadow among the trees.

Iliksis.

Their eyes meet, and hunger stronger than anything she has known rises up within her, terrifying in its intensity. Before she can step toward him, he moves away, leaving the scene. With a shuddering inhale, she turns to Oryx, blinking slowly, as if transfixed.

How is everything here? she asks. How are my siblings?

Will Grayson heed her call?
116 Posts
Ooc — Jess
I dunno exactly who's still around at this point...Emerson's inactive, so I'm not sure what to have Oryx say so...I'll be somewhat vague about her for Oryx's sake, as ICly she would know, but OOCly I don't? If that makes sense, heh. 

Sheepishly, Oryx moved forward when she was beckoned, stiffening only slightly when she caught sight of a dark, lean form in the distance leaving her view. She paused, trying to see if it'd been a figment of her imagination or if she'd really seen someone slinking into the shadows, but couldn't pick out a figure, so she turned back to Addison, her posture apologetic and empathetic as she moved forward, haunches lowered so that her tail swept the snow from side to side behind her.

She whined softly as she greeted Addison, hesitantly lifting her muzzle to exchange scents with Addison, and finding herself surprised by the fact that there was something...Different about the way she smelled. She wasn't sure what it was, nor did she quite recognize it, but it made her feel alarmed all the same. She did her best to stifle her fear, and stepped back when Addison asked about her brothers. Meekly, she nodded. "They are well," She said. "We have a few new members...And have lost a few others," She said; but to lessen the blow of their fledgeling pack losing members, she offered something she thought that Addison might actually be pleased to hear. She sounded tentative when she spoke, as she wasn't sure exactly what kind of reaction to expect. "Cyclone disappeared some time ago." Oryx felt ashamed for bringing it up almost immediately- she did not like gossip...But at the same time, she did want Addison to favour her, and when she recalled the friction she'd seen the two...She figured that it might please Addison to know that the outspoken, headstrong female was gone.
66 Posts
Ooc — mercury
In a rare show of affection, Addison presses her nose to Oryx's cheek for a brief instant, then pulls away. She is glad she has her support, especially if she has lost everyone else's. The woman is strong and kind, and will make a good ally. The news she brings only heightens the Odolf's affection for her.

Thank God, she murmurs, smiling. A soft chuff of laughter escapes her, and she shakes her head, closing her eyes. Looks like she learned her place, after all. That place was never going to be here. Especially not warming my brother's den.

Good riddance, you harlot, she thinks cruelly, casting her gaze to the clouds, as if to find the Blackthorn staring back at her.

I would like to meet the new women, especially, Addison says, looking at Oryx again. Sometime. For now, I just want to rest. Walk with me? She begins to pad tentatively, slowly, back to the den she once occupied, wondering if it is now taken by someone else, though her scent should only be faintly faded after such a short time.
81 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
glksjngksntg late GLAD SHE'S HERE

addison's call brought a darkened expression to the odolf man's features. how on earth she'd survived on her own was beyond him -- but despite that, addison was hardier than other women, he supposed. he hadn't tried to search for her once, but he would tell her that. he rarely vocalized his agenda, so no one could call him out for being so cold. 

he spotted her, along with oryx -- the striking creature -- and his features lightened, only slightly. "addison!" he called out to her, breaking into a trot. he greeted her as he would a sister whom he missed, not asking permission but moving to press his nose to her cheek. "my sister... i've been worried about you, i am glad you have returned to us." he looked to oryx, giving her a small dip of his head. he appreciated her lately, she knew her place. he wondered why she was this close to the borders, but he assumed coincidence. "can we get you fed? rested?" he asked, concern lacing the whites of his eyes as he searched her own pale gaze.
116 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Gossip shouldn't have made her feel good...She'd been taught that it was idle prattle that turned tongues into vicious things and spoiled reputations- but she was at lreast glad that despite the fact that Addison looked fatigued and somehow different, that she'd brought her pack sister some relief with that news. That was all that it was, she told herself- and that she would not make a habit of it, even though she did dearly want Addison to put faith in her and be her friend. Oryx hadn't quite known what to think of Cyclone- and still absolutely refused to comment or make any comments that might indicate that she disliked the fiery woman- but the fact that she was gone did make Oryx feel more comfortable. There had been too much tension between Cyclone and Addison, and Oryx knew where her own loyalty fell. 

Addision mentioned that she would want to meet the new female members of Rosings and Oryx nodded, her thoughts briefly turning to both Lilah and Daivya, but she held those thoughts for a moment, and nodded, moving along with Addison as she indicated that she wanted to rest. "I should tell-" She said, stopping herself when she needed to simply convince herself she was sharing news, not gossiping. She bit her tongue- and fortunately, before she could continue, Grayson appeared. She exhaled, relieved. She'd almost given in and possibly releaved private information to Addison that Lilah might not have wanted shared- though any wolf passing near her den would know instantly, so it wasn't exactly private news. 

She stepped back subserviently, and was more than willing to allow the two to catch up and spend time together alone as Addison rested- but Grayson implied that the both of them could be useful in finding her something to eat, so Oryx nodded, stepping forward. "I can find you something if you'd like," She said, still willing to step out and give them time alone, while she went and unearthed a meal for Addison from a cache.
66 Posts
Ooc — mercury
I should tell. . . What? Addison asks, cocking her head. If there is something more she should know--about Cyclone, especially--she wants, needs, to know immediately. Oryx's hesistation sends her ears folding back, and she is about to press her further when her brother arrives, rushing toward her with all the haste of one who greets a long lost lamb.

Brother, she whispers, smiling in turn and nodding as he pulls back. She is glad he doesn't question her. . .for now. Instead, as he is wont to do, he offers her rest and food. Rest will be fine for now, Addison assures him, looking between the pair of wolves in front of her. Is all well here, Grayson?

It isn't that she does not trust Oryx's summary, but perhaps Grayson will be more forthright with information. More likely to embellish, if anything, but she can find a happy medium between the two.
81 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
grayson missed the end of what oryx had said, and so he did not press her. but since addison asked, grayson would give her the run down. of all the women he'd ever met, addison was the most dedicated to her duties as a woman. he trusted her with important information solely on the grounds that she would return to the other women and keep them in check. "all is well," he told her anyway, because it was. but...

"you should check with lilah, when you are rested," he added, expression darkening, "she rose her voice at me and threw insults my way because i did not return her feelings-- she is in love with me, it seemed." with a flick of his ear, the large odolf man added, "and she's in heat. she thinks i'm holding her prisoner alone but she does not understand that some men will do anything to a woman in heat." 

she was so stupid. so ignorant. she hated him because she thought he was cruel. oh, boo hoo. grayson was only doing what was best for her. "and we don't need a bastard litter."
116 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Oryx felt the pressure lift off her shoulders like mist of a lake when Grayson told Addison about Lilah. Her expression was still concerned, of course- but she was very, very glad that she might not have been wrong in deciding to tell Addison. After all, Grayson had chosen to tell her, so he too felt it was important that she know. She felt bad for Lilah- especially now that she knew Lilah had fallen in love with Grayson...Perhaps that was a deterrant, then, and Oryx felt slightly discouraged. If Lilah was being discouraged for falling for Grayson...Then she might have to keep her feelings for Harrison hidden better.  

As the sister of the Odolf brothers, Oryx did pity Addison slightly; it meant, naturally, that she would have to marry a non-Odolf man and the first one that came to Oryx's mind was Iliksis...And though she told herself not to think ill of any of the men in their company, of all of them she feared being matched with him the most. She felt that out of all of the women, Addison had the most right to bear children that year, but that would of course be decided by her brother, if he found someone suitable enough for her. Oryx, on the other hand, would simply have to trust that fate would intervene and hopefully place her in good hands. 

"She's been resting...Daivya brought some lavender to soothe her." She supplied compassionately, hoping that it might distract them from thinking poorly of poor Lilah; after all, she couldn't exactly choose when she went into heat.
66 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Sure enough, Grayson offers her further information. . .and paints a much more dramatic picture than Oryx had. Her eyes widen slightly; she cannot imagine the sight of sweet, timid Lilah hurling insults toward her brother. She must have gone absolutely mad. But of course--heat explains it. Heats turn even the most graceful of women into something they aren't.

Succubi when they get their way, and demons when they do not.

In love with you, or the power she will gain by your side? Addison asks softly, raising a brow. You are right to keep her away, Grayson. If she cannot hold back from abusing you, God only knows what kind of risks she will take with others.

She knows quite well that her brothers, while handsome, are cads. Given a choice in a free society, many women would look elsewhere. But they are here, and this is life with the Odolfs. Grayson and Harrison are the cream of the crop. Lilah had done what others will undoubtedly try: attempt to claw their way to the top using emotion as a cover. Addison cannot really blame her.

Still, she shoots a brief look toward Oryx as she speaks before returning her gaze to Grayson, nodding. I will go see her soon, she promises, with a small shrug of her shoulders. Try and put some sense into her head.
81 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
grayson had to bite his tongue from saying something so crude in front of oryx. addison would've understood, but he didn't dare straight up insult a woman in front of another one. oryx may not take it as addison would've. "i do not think lilah is that type of girl," was how he worded it instead, but addison would've been able to gather on her own that he meant to say that lilah is weak, spineless, and not at all intelligent enough to want a position of power. she loved him, as all women did, and that was her own downfall. 

and it was only so because she voiced it.

"thank you, addison," he said to his sister then with a flick of his ears. "now, let's get you rested," he said, giving his sister an affectionate nudge to the cheek, and ushering her forwards and into the territory. to oryx, he supplied a simple, "thank you," and a bob of his head. she was free to go where she pleased now.
116 Posts
Ooc — Jess
The conversation about Lilah that transpired between Grayson and Addison wasn't exactly one that Oryx wanted to be privy to- but thankfully it did not endure for too long, and taking Addison to rest seemed to be the next priority. She did not want to talk about Lilah behind her back, and didn't exactly want to know the more intimate details of her life including Grayson, either. It was too late for her to be given to Grayson as a wife, as she wouldn't be able to conceive pups that year, and she felt fairly certain that Grayson would choose a wife for himself who could reproduce that year. It hadn't occurred to her yet that she might be the one who was chosen- she was already too hopeful about being paired with Harrison. 

When she was excused, she slipped to Addison's side to touch her nose to her friend's cheek respectfully. "I am glad you are back, Addison. Rest well," She said, offering her friend a smile before she slipped away to leave them in peace together.
66 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Addison isn't sure about that, but then, she doesn't know Lilah well at all. What appears as meekness could merely be a front. One must be, however, cunning to put up such a front—and she. . . The Odolf witch sighs, shaking her head in response to her inner musings. She doesn't know at all.

Instead, she is grateful for Grayson's offer of rest, and takes him up on it wholeheartedly, beginning to follow him back into the heart of the territory. It is good to see you again, Oryx, she murmurs to the dark woman before she departs, and then stifles a yawn.

I could sleep for days, Addison remarks to her brother, in a rare show of honest humor. Tail low and posture docile, she slips into her accustomed position just behind Grayson, eyes barely blinking back exhaustion.

It is. . .good?. . .to be home.