Hushed Willows Do not presume to teach me lessons.
6 Posts
Ooc —
Joining 
He did not know where to hunt next, so his path flowed with the coursing river until it ended within a flame-lit woodland that briefly took his breath away; he was not lost for long among the trees, knowing that he could not err from his purpose for long. As deeply as he felt the need to roam and to explore, Cru knew he could not allow distractions. He had to find whatever remained of the grounders that once lived upon the dragon's back.

He did not know that they had moved to the coast, nor would he have suspected it without redirection, so he moved without aim and grew despondent within days of his entry to the wilds. Easily agitated, spiteful to the beasts upon which he supped, and directionless to a maddening degree.

When he came upon the scent of wolves he had not expected it, yet felt a great swell of ego at his accomplishment all the same. They might not have been his people, but he would learn what he could from them. The ridge was easy enough to climb — and soon Crucifix was loitering among some weeping trees the likes of which he'd never come across before. The light played through their wilted boughs and danced across the pollen motes of foreign flowers, lending an ethereal and almost fey quality to the area.
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Lily had been more than disturbed at the news of Minnow's disappearance from the willows. She had become a dragon mother, keeping her children always in sight, though they were older now and far more equipped to wander. Sunny was on the hunt, but would the scent be fresh enough? What other dangers lurked just outside their sanctuary?

@Qilaq minded her trio for a short while today while she patrolled, feeling it necessary. They had always believed in open borders, but Lily sometimes wondered whether they ought to reconsider. Was it Vilkas who had given her a solid argument in that direction? He had been so fierce in that regard, after all.

Fierce but, alas, gone. Probably forever. It was, really, just best not to think of Vilkas, for it never brought her anything but sadness to see his face in her mind's eye.

A figure materialized within the willows, and her ears cocked forward, more wary than intrigued at the unfamiliar scent. Can I help you? Lily called out, her voice chipper and a smile on her face—but with an unaccustomed stiffness to her shoulders as she trotted toward the young man. Things had changed, and perhaps not for the better. She was a mother now, after all. The time for being carefree was long past.
6 Posts
Ooc —
It did not occur to him that an audience should be called, or that he should make his presence known. For all his life he had been privy to the chilling affection of his mother and no others, and his first thought was to investigate the terrain rather than call attention to himself - or possible harm. When he was found, it wasn't by a noble-bred warrior or some creature that would make his fur stand on-end. The woman was large and carried herself with pride and the confidence of knowing her claim, but not with the same swaggar he would have assumed for a guardian or warrior. She seemed less and less familiar the more he observed her - but then she spoke, using the warrior's tongue that his mother had passed down to him. She had said it is the secret of the grounders, something shared among the rank and file of a good cru's army. Why then would a woman such as this have the skills?

But he did not have time to contemplate this mystery for the woman was speaking, questioning him, and held a brief but poignant edge to the manner in which she watched him. Perhaps Crucifix should be more wary of the locals; he could not know what manner of tricks or innate abilities these wolves carried. Be wary, be smart, learn from them and you will conquer them. Mother had tutored, and so he would begin his trials in earnest now. Hei, he greeted with a dip of his dark snout; then reminded himself (and his tongue) to try and use their shared language so as not to alienate the stranger: I am hunting for my people, but have not found them. Can I stay here? I can hunt, track, guard -- if it pleases.
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
It was an easy enough request for any other pack; for Elysium, a sanctuary, it was merely a formality. Of course, Lily responded, dipping her muzzle in a gentle nod. Anything you can do to help will be welcomed. We appreciate your willingness to pitch in.

She lifted her chin, regarding the young man with friendly interest. I'm Lily; this is Elysium, a sanctuary for all who need it, she explained. Above all, we keep the peace. Anything that runs counter to peace will not be tolerated. It would be her only warning. Who are you? Lily asked, cocking her head slightly. Have you come far?

She began to settle into the easy rhythm of ambassadorship, growing more comfortable with the situation minute by minute.
6 Posts
Ooc —
A sanctuary? It was not a concept he was familiar with, but he was young and inexperience welcomed such faults. Mother had not told him of the different kinds of people or their claims; his expertise remained rooted to his own people. It was curious to know of a place that welcomed strangers so easily. It would take time to determine if such a policy was a strength or a weakness. Lily introduced herself momentarily and plunged ahead with questions - these he anticipated.

My name is Cru. He answered easily.

I come from... North of here. Far north where it is always cold. It was a harsh place but a fitting one for a boy to learn survival tactics. His mother was with him in memory alone now, but she had trained him thoroughly. Whatever he learned in this place, whatever it cost him, he would succeed.
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Pleasure to meet you, Cru, Lily said, in better spirits than before. She canted her head further into the forest, brows lifted in question. Walk with me? she offered. It was his choice, in the end, but she would like his company before he vanished like so many others. She didn't hate them for it, but she wished she had bonded with them more before their departures.

With luck, the two would begin to stroll along past the trees, weaving through narrow forest trails. The north, eh? she asked rhetorically, smiling. I've heard many stories. Seems like a very fierce place—you must be from strong stock. Vilkas had been from the north. The two had much in common.

When did you last see the ones you're looking for? Lily asked, glancing over at Cru.
6 Posts
Ooc —
She seemed agreeable. It was easier than he expected to coax acceptance from this stranger. His mother had always said it would take blood—the art of tooth and claw—before he could get what he wanted. He would not let this soft beginning to his quest change his desire nor his drive. When bade, Cru fell in to step beside the woman and followed after her with veiled caution just in case things went amiss. One can never be too careful.

When she began to ask him for details the boy had some things practiced—but he chose not to parrot those truths, and instead found it easier to be honest for both their sakes; it would be hard enough to keep up with any lies he spread and it was better to cater to this woman's good nature. I have never seen them, he explains. They are my mother's people mostly, relatives of her's, and I suppose, my blood too.

He licks his lips and watches the trembling willows for a moment, lost in thought. Feigning a sense of pensive concern. My mother... Wished that I would not be alone for my whole life, and wished that I find them.
719 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Upon listening to his tale, Lily felt a pang of longing for her own mother, left so far behind. How did she fare? How often did she pine for her wayward daughter? She wondered if she would ever be able to go back and visit; perhaps bring Khali and the children along with her. The idea of such a journey put a small, secret smile on her face, neatly tucked away in the corners of her wide mouth so as not to seem mocking or inconsiderate of Cru's words.

Your mother had the right idea, she said softly. Her eyes met his for a long moment before straying to the trees again, nostrils flaring to take in the scents of her many packmates. It's good to have others around you for support. Wolves aren't meant to be alone for very long, I don't think.

Her face brightened in query again. Do you happen to know any of the names of your kin? Surely your mother must have sent you out looking with some idea, some clue. . .and perhaps they're known to me, somehow. Then again, it would mean that they would lose Cru maybe even sooner that way—but Lily wasn't about to deny him the chance to find family as soon as possible, even if the willows lost an able body in the process.

They walked on further into the willows, with Lily happy to have the chance to get to know Cru, if only for a short time.