Gyrfalcon's Keep can't stop the swag
812 Posts
Ooc —

Junior woke that morning with a start and yelled, "The festival!" so loud that it echoed off the nearest trees. She leaped to her feet and began racing across the plateau, headed directly to its borders. En route, she raced past her father heading inland from a patrol. Seeing his distraught daughter, he hailed her. Reluctantly, Osprey paused and turned to face him.

"What's up, pup? What's wrong?"

"We forgot about the festival!" Junior shouted, lip quivering.

It only took a second for it to click in his head. "Oh. Shit. I'm sorry, Junior. What can I do?" He canted his head, frowning guiltily.

"I gotta go visit them! Right now!"

"Okay, okay. Hold up. Take a deep breath," Peregrine commanded. "Now... would you like me to go with you?"

Osprey Jr. pondered this a moment, then shook her head. "No. I wanna go there and tell 'em I'm sorry and then spend the day there." She paused, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears. "Can I, dad?"

Noticing the way she called him dad versus daddy, the Alpha felt his heart lurch. "Of course, Junior. Be back by nightfall, okay? Be safe out there, little Outrider."

Tossing her father a crooked, grateful smile, Osprey Jr. spun and galloped to the towpath leading down into neutral territory. She loped along the river and, in her desperation to reach the bay as quickly as possible, cut northwest toward Gyrfalcon's Keep. She quickly scaled the runty peak, then began to pick her way down its opposite face. She could see Stavanger Bay in the distance and it brought a breathless smile to her dark face.
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni

Are we backdating this for the festival so she can join in? and do you want Ragnar too?

Thistle was on the borders looking out over, a habit she was falling into lately, simply for something to do. She tilted her head to the side as she saw a small speck coming nearer. She watched as it got closer and her heart jumped a little in her throat. As she saw that it was Junior. She howled out a welcome to her foster daughter and strode purposely across the beach to get to her.

Upon meeting her she spoke softly Junior what on earth? I am so happy to see you! Did you come all by yourself Maer? Without thinking of it the norse word for maiden slipped into the foster mother’s words. She reached out her head and ruffled the child’s ears and licked her downy head between the ears, so very happy to see her. She thought about calling out for Ragnar, but was too breathless with excitement.
812 Posts
Ooc —
No, she missed the festival and that's why she's here now. :)

Her nimble black paws touched soil at the foot of the mountain and she raced toward the coast and, particularly, toward a familiar face that appeared in the distance. "Thistle!" she cried between her teeth, legs pumping as she closed the gap between herself and her foster mother. She did not notice the shadow that raced after her.

"Thistle!" she repeated when she reached the agouti she-wolf. Osprey grinned as the woman groomed her ears and forehead. She bumped her snout against Thistle's chin, tail waving merrily. "Yes, I'm by myself," she said with a touch of pride, adding, "My dad let me come. I'm becoming an Outrider now. I'm still a Warrior, though!"

The black pup took a step back to regard the wolf she considered her second mother when a sharp cry overhead drew her attention. At the same time, something dropped out of the sky and Osprey felt something simultaneously soft and sharp brush her head. She crouched in a futile attempt to avoid it, backpedaling away from Thistle instinctively.

She had a flashback to the day when an angry goose had attacked her. Although she was a Warrior, the assault was so unexpected and violent that she tucked her tail between her legs and whirled. Without thinking twice, she plunged back toward Gyrfalcon's Keep, hoping to find shelter in the rocks. Although her flight might have seemed cowardly, she also hoped to draw the feathered assailant away from Thistle.

Little did she know, the closer she came to the keep, the more persistently one of its namesake residents attacked. It dropped again and again like a bomb, screeching in her bat-like ears and scrabbling at her with its hooked beak and wicked talons.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni

Thistle chuckled you will make a fine outrider and warrior. Ragnar is an outrider you know. thistle saw the falcon giving chase and she froze forgetting how close they were to the keep.

Thistle saw her crouch and then run and she cried out No come this way Junior they’ll get worse. Not thinking about anything other than the pup that she loved as her own she raced after her, though she was small she was still a bit bigger so she was able to reach the youth before she could get too far away from her. Thistle growled and jumped at the falcon sharp teeth reaching up to tear it as it attacked Junior she got around front of her if she could and told her quickly Back towards the bay Junior, they probably have nests. Thistle was trying to fight with the falcon while simultanenously herding her foster daughter back towards the bay and away from the pecks that were now peppering her own shoulders and head, but she didn’t care she was more worried about the little girl, the black shield maiden who was far too brave for her age.
812 Posts
Ooc —
Despite Osprey's attempt to put distance between herself and Thistle, her foster mother pursued her, putting herself in the way of danger. The youth looked to the she-wolf a bit desperately when the gyrfalcon became relentless in its dive bombs. She nodded, then made to follow Thistle's instructions to make a break for the bay even as the older woman snapped her teeth at the fearsome bird.

Junior didn't get far, though, before a second bird joined the first. She saw a flash of black and white and felt something slice into her brow. Warm blood poured into her eyes, causing her to freeze in her tracks and swipe a paw over her face. Feeling wings and talons beating at her back, the blinded pup grunted loudly and sprang toward the keep again, squeezing herself into a small crevice.

"Thistle!" she cried, beckoning her foster mother. She not only needed Thistle's help, she wanted her mother figure to get away from the gyrfalcons too. "They're crazy!" the youngster gasped, blinking blood from her mismatched eyes. "Why did my family name me after one?!" she demanded incredulously, deciding then and there to drop the Osprey from her name and go simply by Junior forevermore.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni

Thistle got into a patter snap jump snap jump and she slowly worked her way towards the bay, hoping that Junior was further ahead. The gyrfalcon was to it’s family she could hear them answering it and she got desperate in her attempt to maim or injury them. She wanted her foster daughter away far far away from them.

Thistle turned her head when Junior called for her and her heart stuttered in her chest and she growled deeper than she ever had before. With a leap she snapped at the one that had left the mark snarling My daughter mine! And she snapped harder, junior was not really her daughter, but my foster daughter was too much of a mouthful at the moment and she fought harder.

Though Thistle was fighting she couldn’t help the choked laugh that escaped her at Junior’s words as she slowly pushed the girl to keep moving, her own head red and sticky with blood and her shoulder blades drip drip dripping in scarlet. Run Junior as fast as you can just go I’ll be right behind. Go Now. And then she shoved at her foster daughter begging her to move, she was indeed right behind her.
812 Posts
Ooc —
When Thistle approached, Junior saw that her head was scratched and bleeding. Although her former guardian tried to coax her to run after her, the pup shook her head, spraying blood on the ground. "I can't, Thistle!" she said. "I can hardly see! Get in here!" she urged instead, moving sideways to make room for the other wolf beneath the small rock overhang. She was certain the birds wouldn't be able to get at them here; if they flew low enough to try, they could snatch them up and kill them easily.

"It doesn't hurt much," Junior said. "I'm bleedin' like crazy!" She sounded impressed rather than upset, perhaps because it was so much blood. "It only stings." Not for the first time, she lowered her head and rubbed one of her paws over it, trying to clear the sticky red fluid away from her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Thistle," the pup murmured in the next moment, once again noticing the other female's sorry state once she could see a bit better. "They're like bees but worse. What's their problem anyway? I wasn't bothering 'em!" She huffed. "Oh," she added, "and I'm sorry I missed the festival. That's why I came today."
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni

Thistle slid beside Junior and sighed softly, bending she began to lick the red, sticky fluid that fell from the girl like rain. Oh Junior you’re just a mess hold on, let me get you fixed up. She cleared the blood away from the girls face and eyes, the nicks from the beaks and claws were not too deep, just on the head, a place that bled a lot. She looked around for anything to use to hold it from bleeding more.

Thistle continued to clear out the blood, whining softly as she did so, feeling like a failure as a foster mother, but she got it clean at least. She caught sight of some cobwebs at the back of the den and with a hurried apology for taking the spiders home she placed them on Juniors head and sighed in relief as the blood seemed to slow or she hoped so anyway.

She licked the small muzzle of the pup in front of her , No need to be sorry Junior I am happy to see you. They have nests babies they are protecting them, when you’re a mother or father you protect your children against everything. It’s okay you missed the festival, there should be some leftover fawn if your hungry. And Ragnar and Tveir and Ein and Gyda will be happy to see you.
812 Posts
Ooc —
Thistle did the best she could, given the circumstances, and once she finished tending Osprey, the youth attempted to do the same by sitting up slightly and gently licking the abrasions on the Healer's face and neck. When she felt she'd done a job that would make Blue Willow proud, she rested back on her haunches, trying to ignore the sticky, itchy feeling of the webbing clinging to her forehead.

"I'm not hungry," Osprey replied, then said, "I think we should wait here 'til the crazy birds go away. How long do you think that'll take?" She was tempted to stick her nose out of the entrance to check, yet didn't dare so soon. "I wanted to see you mostly," she admitted, turning back to face Thistle. "You weren't feeling good last time. And now you're all beat up!" Junior observed, her lower lip jutting out as she felt guilty and upset with herself for causing this.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni

Thistle sat still while the child did her best, and surprisingly for a youth she did very well. you would make a good healer Junior too. I know the web probably itches, you can take it off in a little while, but for now it has to stay to keep from bleeding everywhere. She would let her take the webbing off eventually.

Thistle shook her head Probably not long, they may already be gone, the immediate threat is not for them to see anymore. She smiled then and leaned her head out the overhang. No birds came tumbling down to attack her, but they were still circling a few more minutes maybe then they could make a dash for it. Thistle chuckled and nodded It’s okay I’m alright it’s just a few scratches and you are safe, that is all that matters to me. My wounds will heal, but if my heart was broken cause you got hurt badly well that wouldn’t heal so well and it’s not your fault no sulky suzy. She teased gently pressing her nose to the side of the child’s neck tickling and teasing while they waited for the danger to pass.
812 Posts
Ooc —
Not for the first nor last time, Thistle reminded the child strongly of her Aunt Willow. Osprey's nose wrinkled slightly when Thistle suggested she follow in her (and her aunt's) footsteps as a Healer. "Nah," she said, "it's my job to give people boo-boos, not fix them!" She grinned roguishly.

"I'm not sulking," she sulked in reply, then laughed despite herself when the woman's nose touched her neck. She tipped her head out of Thistle's reach, then playfully turned and nipped the other wolf's nose.

As Junior neared her juvenile phase, she became slightly more aware of the people, places and things around her; she was gradually becoming less self-centered. And so she was genuinely curious about her foster mother. "Are you okay? I mean, like... not just right now but... y'know...?" She was a bit young to articulate but she met Thistle's eyes, hoping to convey her intent. She wanted to know how the Healer was doing, how her life in the bay was going.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni

Thistle chuckled Spoken like a true shield maiden little one. Thistle herself could be called a shield maiden, and she could fight with the best of them, especially lately as she worked at it, but she was not the best nor the greatest at it. She strongly suspected that Junior would surpass her in that and size, as would all her children probably.

Thistle laughed as small teeth met her nose and she blew gently across the girls face tickling her nose and making her close her eyes. Thistle smiled and nodded her head Yes I am okay, I am well. How about you Junior? Are you okay? Are you enjoying being home with your mother and father again?
812 Posts
Ooc —
Thistle said she was doing all right and Osprey was still young enough to take such an answer at face value. When the question was turned back on her, she pondered it and said, "Ya, it's good to be home. There's lots of stuff happening. My dad has two new special friends. They're okay." She shrugged noncommittally. "I don't see my mom as much 'cause she wanders a lot, I think. And I wander a lot too now that I'm tryin' to become an Outrider." Junior paused. "Saēna and me found a tunnel in the mountains!" she shared, forgetting that Thistle didn't know Saēna or her relation to Osprey Jr.

"Hey, is Ragnar mad at me 'cause I didn't come to the festival?" the pup wondered in the next breath. "And Tveir?" Of Thistle's three pups, she had been closest to her middle child, hence why she didn't mention the other two by name. "I miss you guys. I wish we could all live in one place. I miss the ocean too," she added, eyes turning toward the distant shore. She could just barely see it from here. "Think the crazy birds are gone yet?"
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
Thistle prided her self on being smart, but the child’s words took her a moment to process. She realized swiftly though that Ragnar was not the only one who dabbled in affairs of the heart, and she wondered if Junior’s father had broken anyone’s heart, as hers had been partially broken, but she refused to comment on that aspect of it and instead smiled softly That is good, it’s nice to have special friends. And I am glad they are okay. In Thistle’s mind the youth affirmed her thoughts of broken hearts, when she said her own mother traveled a lot, she herself had moved restlessly around after the initial cut, had often wanted to continue on but ties and love kept her home bound.

Thistle focused back on the small femme Ragnar is an outrider, little one. Oh did you find out where the tunnel goes? You and Saena. she tested the girls exotic name on her tongue, wondering if she was the white femme that had tried to save them all, even though she was a puppy.

Thistle drew her muzzle across the smaller child’s own, No Ragnar and Tveir are not mad at you, they miss you too, as do I and Ein and Gyda. I would like that too, but I can handle seeing you ever so often if you can and you are always welcome to stay here as long as you like. Hmm I do not know let me check. Thistle looked out the overhang, there were no shrill cries no diving birds. She brought her head back in and looked down They are gone, let’s go we have to run though before they see us are you ready? You count to three and I’ll follow okay Junior . Thistle then waited silently to make sure that Junior understood.

812 Posts
Ooc —
Wanna fade here, with the two of them going off to visit with the rest of the fam?

"I didn't know that!" the child declared when informed that Ragnar was an Outrider too. "Yeah, it ended at the bottom of a mountain, the one right behind the plateau, I think." She rolled her shoulders, indicating that she wasn't entirely certain. It had been an awesome adventure, though, alternatively exciting and terrifying.

The birds were gone and Thistle proposed they make another attempt to run to the bay. "Okay," the child agreed, counting as instructed before bursting from the crevice like a stuntman fired from a cannon. She glanced behind her to make sure Thistle was keeping pace, then faced forward and pumped her legs, running as fast as she could toward the seaside.

When she felt sure they'd gone far enough, Osprey braked to a halt, panting as she turned around. She could see the raptors circling the keep in the distance, though none of them had followed this far. She sighed in relief, her damp nose touching the side of Thistle's neck when the Healer caught up to her. Now they stood just a few dozen yards from the bay's borders.

She looked forward to seeing Ragnar again. Perhaps he would have some words of wisdom to share regarding her latest trade pursuit. Maybe he even had a cool title for a female Outrider. Junior also wanted to play with her foster siblings, especially Tveir. She would never forget the way he'd comforted her when she'd been upset and torn about her two families. She owed him some quality playtime.

"Hey," Junior piped up as they presumably walked into the territory, "'fore I forget, do you have any messages I could take back to my dad? That's part of being an Outrider," she said, though Thistle probably already knew that. "He said, uh, he's sorry he missed the festival too," Junior fibbed. Peregrine hadn't said that verbatim, though as an up-and-coming Outrider, she thought it her duty to convey his unspoken regrets anyhow.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni

Okay <3.

Thistle chuckled at Junior’s obvious excitement at the titles Ragnar wore. Thistle chuckled again it sounds like a grand adventure. I wish I would have been there. and she found she did. She wa finding it harder and harder to stay in the bay, she wanted to move around, look into things. But she could not live her family were far too important ot her to be away from them for more than she needed to. She would have to get her sense of adventure and wander lust from the brief interludes she got when hunting for herbs.

Thistle followed behind Junior, though she could probably surpass the child she didn’t. Staying behind to one let the girl win and two to keep a weather eye on the falcons and their sharp claws and beaks. The blood ran again like rivulets from her shoulders as she ran, but she paid it no mind. Glad that she had been able to care for junior’s nicks and cuts.

Thistle turned her muzzle into the girls head and licked it, as the child showed her affection with her own press against her neck. Thistle thought about it and then spoke actually yes. Would you like to ask your father if you can come spend some extra time with Gyda, she is the only girl in her litter and I think it would do her good to be around her big foster sister. She smiled then as she traveled into the borders, the two of them soon to go separate ways. As Junior hunted down ragnar and then Tveir.