They say we are what we are, but we don't have to be
105 Posts
Ooc —
AW! Set in Firefly Ravine as per this WIP map.

Stepping foot outside Ankyra Sound's borders tugged painfully at his heart, but the Ostrega knew that he needed to aid in the war effort as well. Scouting the lands surrounding their pack for strategic points should Duskfire Glacier ever cotton on to them was as good a job as any. It was thankless, as anything involving a consort inevitably was, but it kept him busy.

By midday, the half-year juvenile found his way into a deep ravine. A river coursed through its heart, but he followed the rocky edges of the water as far as he could go. Tilting back his head, he could just barely make out spindly branches protruding over the cliff's lip on the other side. Making it his task to reach the top, the male began pacing along the river's edge, searching for a compelling place to cross and a way to get up there.
Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
This looked lonely <3

Scarlett knew the preparations for her new pack were almost completed. She had enough members and the location they wanted to settle. It was only a matter of getting everyone together and forming one tight knitted pack. Scarlett at least hoped so. For now she decided to explore the other way. She wondered what was on the other side of Emberwood Forest. She and Adlartok had stayed there for quite some time now. Scarlett found it a pleasant forest to be in.

After some exploring Scarlett entered some ravine, following the stream that moved past her den got her here. It was quite the pathway down before she reached the river banks once more. Her adventurous side showing. When she was walking down she realized there was another wolf down there. Her red eyes scanned over the wolf, it looked like a youngster. Instantly her heart gave out. She made her way down, standing on the other side of the river the youngster was standing on.

She was shocked to find out that he scented of the sea. The same scent that was on the mutilated head whens he was still in DFG. She wondered how her ex-packmates were doing at the moment. "Hello," she greeted with all the kindness. "Do you need help?," the caretaker asked.
105 Posts
Ooc —
Moments before he splashed into the river to make his way across, Kevlyn's ears twitched to the sound of a voice and he looked up to see a white-haired female standing on the opposite shore. Her voice was laced with a mixture of concern and care, something Kevlyn rarely heard in a woman's voice, that for a moment made her rather compelling. Nevertheless, he faltered, allowing his mind and heart to war for a while.

As an Ostrega wolf, Kevlyn was inclined to behave politely in all situations. He didn't need to be taught that by his parents; it was more or less in his genes. As a consort of Ankyra Sound he was inclined to be stand-offish and unfriendly to unfamiliar wolves who didn't pledge themselves to Caiaphas. It was likely that warm note in Scarlett's voice that stopped him from being a total ass, though he did stand stiffly and uncomfortably still.

At length, he responded with a simple, "no," and angled his head toward the water, looking for a good, shallow place to cross. In spite of himself, he cupped his ears atop his head and directed them at her, quietly hoping she would speak again in that honeyed tone, so like his vague memory of his mother.
Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar

To say Scarlett was shocked by the little sea wolf's reaction was just an understatement. Maybe these salty smelling wolves really disliked others. The red eyed female glanced at the youngster curiously. She was a bit reminded of every time she met Charon. He was also a bit stubborn and quick to say no. Ah well. Maybe most pups were like that. In the beginning Adlartok was like that too. Maybe all teenage boys were. Scarlett wouldn't know since she didn't had a litter of her own, yet. Her tail kept wagging in a gentle matter. "Oh, of course a big strong man like you wants to cross the water himself. I get it," She returned with that same kind and warm tone.

Scarlett had to admit that the youngster looked so adorable. A soft hum came of her lips as she sat down. "You might think to cross at a more shallow part, but that is where the current is the strongest. Maybe a middle ground is better," she advised. Scarlett wondered what the pup was doing here. Was he just playing? Or did the little one had a goal to go to? "Are going going somewhere? I know this location very well by now. Maybe I can point you in the right direction," she offered. She couldn't just abandon the teenager. Could she?

105 Posts
Ooc —
Kevlyn was torn between feeling patronized and feeling empowered. Nobody ever spoke to him like that at the Sound, so he struggled to understand the difference between being talked to like a kid (big strong man) and being talked to like an individual who knew his abilities (crossing the water by himself). He stood there for a moment, staring across at the female and warring in his mind about whether she was being a bitch or not, but then she offered some advice and he forgot to be offended anymore in favour of a topic he was very knowledgeable about.

"I know lots about the water, thanks," he mumbled, loud enough to be heard but gravelly. "It may be faster in shallow water, but my legs are more steady in shallow water." He likened it to the ocean. The waves sucked in and out faster in the shallows, but Kevlyn knew it was the deeper water that could drag him out to sea. He could square his stance in shallow water much more easily.

As though to make a point, the boy chose a relatively shallow area and forded the river easily. Strength in the water was a necessity for any wolf of Ankyra Sound, and a river was no different. Once on the other side, he shook vigorously, then said, "no, not going anywhere." In other words, he was just scouting. 
Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Scarlett could almost hit herself for being so brainless. Of course this wolf knew about water more than she did, the little one scented of the sea. She sometimes could have her blonde moments. Scarlett wasn't even going to deny the youngster was right. "You are right. I am not mentally present today," she joked and shook her head fondly. She chuckled a bit. Sometimes in her motherly behavior she tend to forget that not all youngsters were clueless about something. Especially when they came from the sea for example. For her, a land wolf, it was such a weird concept. A sea. 

"Just exploring, huh! I get it. That must be fun. Are you looking for anything in particular?" Scarlett didn't want to bother the youngster too much with his exploring and adventure. She could imagine that the boy wanted to do this on his own without an adult standing and watching his every move. She wanted to suggest the Otatso wetlands but then decided against it. Since it could be very dangerous. There were rumors about Mountain Lion's preferring that type of land. 
105 Posts
Ooc —
When Scarlett told him he was right, his chest puffed a little. He was right about a lot of things, he felt. For all of Kevlyn's obedience in the Sound, he was really rather clever. Even if he didn't know what he was talking about, he could fake it more often than not. "Yeah," he rejoined unhelpfully in an attempt to keep the conversation going. Clever or not, he wasn't all that social; he was conditioned to speak when spoken to, and that trait sometimes came out even in the company of strangers.

She started back in with the questions, earning a small huff from Kevlyn. "No, just getting out," he explained. There was nothing out here on the mainland that he couldn't possibly get from the sea, he felt. Nevermind that there were prey animals here that were richer and more nutritious than sea life; living on the coast was worth it, even if he'd known about them.

Seeking to steer their conversation away from what he was doing, for he was starting to feel a little suspicious, he said, "I'm Kevlyn." It wasn't much of an icebreaker at all, but it was something.
Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
I figured I could tell him, since, well... RIP Kevlyn :(

Scarlett seemed to realize that the other struggled a but with keeping the conversation going. But he said just the wrong thing. All air seemed to vanish out of Scarlett's lungs. She remembered the day well that she was still at Duskfire Glacier and Charon came crashing into their door because he was convinced they had this... Kevlyn... Her lips parted a bit in shock. Was this..?! Charon spoke about Kevlyn being his brother. They were the same age at least. Scarlett was so perplexed that she let herself fall onto her butt. "You're name is Kevlyn?" 

Scarlett didn't know what to do in this moment. She almost wanted to drag the pup to Charon and show him that she found his brother. She had to tell him right away!!! This Kevlyn also shouldn't be left out. She should tell him how his family was still alive at Stavanger Bay! "Um.. This might be a shock to you too but... I happen to know your brother. I mean both brothers!," Scarlett spoke to the youngster. "They are named Charon and Levi. They are in Scavanger Bay Pack!"