Moonspear ^________^
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
All Welcome 
Thunder grumbled in the distance as Treepie gently nudged the baby rabbit. When it didn’t react, they bent down and touched their nose to its soft, tiny body. It was limp and starting to cool. They frowned and sat up again, letting out a rare sigh.

Perhaps another wolf might’ve seen an easy meal… but as soon as Tiuttuk had come across the orphan a few hours before, they had hoped to look after it. Now that it was dead, they still couldn’t stomach the idea of eating the poor baby. Instead, they carefully plucked it off the ground and set off to find a place on the mountainside to bury it.

Afterward, they sought comfort in the form of their best friend, @Tikaani. Pie found her near the family’s ulax, perhaps watching out for the incoming storm. They greeted her by bumping their nose against her cheek before plopping to their haunches. Their expression was uncharacteristically pensive for a moment before they looked to Tiki with a small smile.

I want to be anaa someday, they told her, pausing to think of the sign before adding, -Mother.- Tiuttuk gave a happy sigh this time. I love babies so much. What about you?
Common Tongue | Atkan Aleut | -Signing-

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moonspear
Babe
41 Posts
Ooc — Danni
I'll pop in while she's not on NPC yet.

Tiki gave a sift whisper of delight at the greeting and returned the favor. She was about to point out the encroaching storm,but stopped and waited at the look and somber feel.

Tiki followed the signing and listened to the words. It wasn't as easy for her, but she did her best.

Mmm not sure. I like babies. But I also like flowers and rabbita.
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Tiki’s riposte elicited a little laugh. Treepie also liked all of those things and didn’t see why her bestie couldn’t love babies as well as flowers and rabbits. They were about to playfully rib her about it when they thought of the little one they’d just buried on the hillside.

I like all those things too, they said a little more somberly than usual, especially baby bunnies… But Pie didn’t want to bring down their friend, so they took a breath and changed tack. But I love baby wolves most of all. I wanna have so many cute, sweet babies just like you!

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moonspear
Babe
41 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Tiki smiled and tilted an ear forward. Pie had seemed about to say something and then stopped. She wondered why. But her mind was soon encompassed by the other things said. 

Baby bunnies? I don't eat them. Nope. Just the big ones when there no babies.

She gave a sage nod. Even if the babies were easier to catch she didn't try. 

Just like me? You is sweet and cute too!
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
I wish we didn’t have to eat any of them, Pie mused before being forced to admit, but rabbits do taste good… as they fought a smile.

When Tiki insisted they were also cute and sweet, Treepie made the sign to thank her, then pressed their nose against her cheek. As their tongue curled out to lick beneath her eye, an errant thought floated into their head like a particularly interesting cloud.

I wonder where baby wolves come from, they thought aloud as they drew back a little bit. Do you know, Tiki?

Moonspear
Babe
41 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Tiki looked at Pie's face and curled her little body up against her friends unsure why they were so sad, but hoping to make it all better. 

It is hard sometimes.

Tiki's ears went to her skull. All mama said was there needs to be mama and a daddy and that's all I know. But I don't have a daddy. So I don't know what she means.
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Pie hummed under their breath as they pondered the information Tiki provided. They looked to all the adults in the pack as parental figures, though there was only one anaa. No one could ever be as special as Sialuk. But had she needed someone else’s help to make her children?

I’ll ask anang, they decided aloud, then fell quiet for a beat before adding, Moms are girls and dads are boys, right?

Moonspear
Babe
41 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Tiki listened to the sound of Pies hum. And was unsure the topic of conversation exactly. Having never thought of it really.

I think so, but.

Tiki sucked on her bottom lip. You have two mommies and I only have a mommy. So I'm not sure
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Tikaani didn’t know for certain. Treepie felt mostly confident in their deduction, though it begged another question: what made a boy a boy and what made a girl a girl? Pie knew how to tell the difference, though as they sat there and pondered it, they couldn’t explain how they knew.

I’ll ask ana they made to repeat, only they were interrupted by a cold raindrop plopping on the bridge of their muzzle.

Pie instinctively looked upward, where the sky rapidly grew dark with thunderclouds. They announced themselves with a dull peal and a few more raindrops. Even though it was a summer storm, the water sent a chill zinging through Treepie’s bones.

Time to take shelter, they said to Tiki, nudging her toward Moonshadow’s ulaq.

Moonspear
Babe
41 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Tikaani wasn't certain of a lot of things. But one thing? Pie always had the answer. And that was something she was confident in.

Cold wetness hit the top of her head. Ears fell tight to skull and pretty eyes looked up. It was coming fast.

Yes! she didn't need much encouragement. Not today.
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
They scurried indoors, Treepie’s chest gently pushing against Tikaani’s hindquarters as they shepherded her toward the rear of the ulaq. They patted a paw on a soft fur there, indicating their friend should make herself comfortable, then curled around her and promptly set to licking the beads of rain off Tiki’s ears, neck and shoulders.

After tending to her friend, Treepie took a moment to swipe the moisture off their own calico coat. Luckily, neither one of them was very wet, so it didn’t take long. But already the storm had strengthened, the hint of rain quickly becoming a proper downpour.

Lightning pulsed, lighting up the sheeting rainfall for a split second. Remembering something one of the adults had told them, Pie began to count quietly into Tiki’s ear. They hit five before thunder rumbled, gently shaking the walls of the ulaq.

It’s five miles away, they whispered sagely, then giggled when they realized they had no real idea what that meant.

Moonspear
Babe
41 Posts
Ooc — Danni
It was a rush of limbs and water and they were ensconsed in warmth in moments. A soft sigh of contentment as Tikaani settled down. And a little purl of laughter at the lick along ears and face.

Tiki yawned and then smiled. You'd make a good parent.

Tiki knew that Pie often referred to themselves without gender words. And she had asked her mom what both mommy s and daddies were called together just so she knew. Even in her youngest she wanted to be good.

How far is five miles?
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
I don’t know, they admitted, but I know—

Another flashbulb lit up the gloom for half a heartbeat. Treepie began counting aloud again, this time only making it to four before a rumble of thunder shook the summer air.

It’s getting closer, they explained, curling more closely to their beloved friend. It can’t hurt us, though. It’s just lights and sounds. And it’ll pass quickly.

Pie had no reason to think Tiki was afraid, though they wanted to comfort her regardless. Maybe she was like them and found storms strangely soothing. Even now, their eyelids felt heavy and all they wanted to do was close their eyes and rest their chin on her back.

Moonspear
Babe
41 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Tikaani nodded and yawned. I not scared of sky water. But it make me sleepy.

She shifted to throw her paws around Pies neck and snuggle as close as she could get. Knowing in only minutes she'd be out.