Redtail Rise tell me that i'm still breathing
102 Posts
Ooc —
Despite that Arion's knowledge had not been questioned by the DiSarinno, the older male offered an explanation, nevertheless. I am Greek, Arion had offered Mercury. Mercury, himself, did not put much stock in things that he couldn't see, and Gods were not counted any different to him. Aether, Mercury had been told, had put much into his faith of them but was surprised to learn that many of his children did not. Ears of smoky black velvet twitched absently when Arion concluded that it was how he was familiar with the Gods. At first, Mercury offered no words, not with the intent to ignore but to pause to lift his leg and mark a section of the borders. With the deed finished he kicked up some of the grass in attempts to make his mark stronger from the secretions of pheromones in the pads of his paws. Another effective way of marking territory, in case the urination was not enough. One could never be too overzealous when it came to border marking, Mercury had always believed.

β€œI am many things,” Mercury spoke enigmatically as he moved, muzzle tilted earth bound, sniffing out another section of borders before he kicked more grass, this time, not having enough urine in his system to add any more of that. β€œMy biological father's family are Greek but also Roman I think,” To classify the DiSarinno's as one or the other was complicated. They were both, he thought, and also neither. It was a choice, he supposed, whether they took after Aether's beliefs or March Owl's lack thereof. β€œMy mother's family followed a different religion all together, two bear Gods, Atka and Sos,” Though he did not expect either of those names to be familiar to Arion. In truth, Thistle did not speak of her parents and their beliefs all that much during Mercury's childhood, but he absorbed history β€” his heritage's own β€” with something akin to obsession. β€œAnd my adoptive father was a Viking.” Mercury gave pause here, pausing in their patrol for a heart beat to study Arion for a few moments before his eyes of imperial green returned to the path stretched out before them.

β€œI identify with my biological father's family, though. Mercury was not the name I was given upon my birth, but the name I chose for myself when I was old enough to make the decision.” As to why that was his own business and he had no intent of sharing it with someone who was a virtual stranger to him. Not a total stranger, mind, but a stranger nevertheless. Already, Mercury had told Arion more than he had likely bargained for. Nothing was simple, and thus neither had been Mercury's answer. Personally, Mercury did not understand why it mattered whether he was Greek, Roman, Norse, or something else entirely. While his choices, in his case, largely made up his identity, if they hadn't and he had just randomly been named Mercury upon his birth he did not see why it mattered.
Messages In This Thread
tell me that i'm still breathing - by Mercury - May 24, 2015, 06:18 AM
RE: tell me that i'm still breathing - by Arion - May 24, 2015, 07:01 AM
RE: tell me that i'm still breathing - by Mercury - May 24, 2015, 07:28 AM
RE: tell me that i'm still breathing - by Arion - May 25, 2015, 03:36 AM
RE: tell me that i'm still breathing - by Mercury - May 25, 2015, 05:58 AM
RE: tell me that i'm still breathing - by Arion - May 25, 2015, 06:44 AM
RE: tell me that i'm still breathing - by Mercury - May 25, 2015, 08:51 AM
RE: tell me that i'm still breathing - by Arion - May 25, 2015, 09:16 AM
RE: tell me that i'm still breathing - by Mercury - May 25, 2015, 12:11 PM
RE: tell me that i'm still breathing - by Arion - May 26, 2015, 05:50 AM
RE: tell me that i'm still breathing - by Mercury - May 30, 2015, 05:32 AM