Ouroboros Spine in hopes that i'd decline
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
if he decides he is bored by it (which i figured he might not, lol), the rest of the process explanation can be disregarded

An offer she could accept from him, but not he from her. She understood.

Oh, I see... Slowly, she nodded, thinking on this new concept. 

Here, it was different. And as he went on to explain the "bride price", this became even more-so clear.

The air had grown a bit colder. But she did not want to declare this and decide to return to the ulax. Instead, Nasamik gently gestured for him to join her in a walk as they spoke. This way, they may warm up and still be able to enjoy one another's company.

In my northern village, the way this is done is a bit different, Nasamik began. Now that he shared a bit of his known culture, she thought it only fair to do the same. We do not call it bride price; but instead, it is known as a courting dowry. Instead of man giving to woman, they must both provide. Pausing for a moment, she waited to be sure he could keep up with the information.

Then she went on. Various things will be shared throughout the process... but in order for it to continue towards the end, each gift must be first accepted by the reciprocate. The dowry begins with man declaring his affections for said woman by leaving a bed of carefully selected flowers by the entrance to her ulaq. They will usually be her favorites. This way, she knows he truly speaks with his heart. If she chooses to accept to his shown affections, then she must leave some form of sign at the entrance to his ulaq. This is usually done through micturition. Now he will know she accepts, and they can move on to the next steps. Silence fell her for a moment. Quietly, she thought of something to herself before passing him a glance. It is a tedious process, and much to explain... please tell me if I am boring you. 

She had hoped this was not the case. For if not, she would continue to explain.

With her mark of acceptance, the man will then go on his first hunt of the dowry. He must kill two creatures — those big enough to skin out pelts for both him and her. She will receive these and then skin and cure them. If all goes well, both man and woman will wear these during the marriage ceremony.

When she is finished with them, she will present them to her courtier. If he is pleased with the one intended for himself, then he will complete the final step: a final hunt for meat that is to be served as the two dine before they consummate the marriage. And again, like the furs, she must approve of the meal before all is done.

There had been much to explain. Nasamik watched him closely; softly, but still intently curious as to whether he had enjoyed learning these things. As things in their villages differed, it wasn't overly important for him to know. But she found it intriguing and exciting to share cultures amongst others. 
pregnancy (9/9)
Messages In This Thread
in hopes that i'd decline - by Kivaluk - December 24, 2022, 06:12 PM
RE: in hopes that i'd decline - by Nasamik - December 27, 2022, 04:37 PM
RE: in hopes that i'd decline - by Kivaluk - December 28, 2022, 07:41 AM
RE: in hopes that i'd decline - by Nasamik - December 28, 2022, 11:12 AM
RE: in hopes that i'd decline - by Kivaluk - December 30, 2022, 05:52 AM
RE: in hopes that i'd decline - by Nasamik - December 30, 2022, 07:36 PM
RE: in hopes that i'd decline - by Kivaluk - January 01, 2023, 07:28 AM
RE: in hopes that i'd decline - by Nasamik - January 01, 2023, 11:38 PM
RE: in hopes that i'd decline - by Kivaluk - January 04, 2023, 08:51 AM
RE: in hopes that i'd decline - by Nasamik - January 05, 2023, 08:28 PM