Phoenix Maplewood and it's all fun and games, 'til somebody falls in love
run wild. live free. love strong.
321 Posts
Ooc — Riven
All Welcome 

She had wanted to see the wood that had caused so much havoc.

Magpie supposed it might have been beautiful, before the locusts had destroyed it. It seemed thin, now— barren. Wasting away like the rest of the Wilds, and certainly no longer deserving of adoration. She wondered if the wolves that had lived here had sensed it, or perhaps even cursed them all. She didn't believe in magick, of course, but there were stories that the Corvidae told; and it might have been her hunger, but her certainty that the legends were wild exaggerations faltered for just a beat. She didn't have the chance to ponder this for much longer, for the thick drip of saliva that fell from her lips made her realize it was rabbit she was smelling.

She was tired. From hunger, from the energy she had spent chasing the hare back home. But desperation and rage was on her side now, and Magpie made quick chase of it; its neck snapped between her jaws, and her sides heaved from the exertion of the chase even as she savored the flavor of the creature's blood as it ran over her tongue and down her throat. Magpie settled into a laying position, rabbit between her forepaws, and began to tear flesh from bone. She swallowed a few hunks of meat without chewing. Her ears moved to catch the sounds of the forest, but her other senses were all-consumed by the first meal she had caught in over a week.

Magpie lifted her head at the sound of enraged grunts, but too late; a heavy paw met her side with a sickening crunch. She skidded a few yards where she lay in a heap, too startled to even yelp. Struggling to breathe, both for the wind knocked out of her and the ribs that were now surely broken, the Corvidae labored to position herself so that she could see her attacker.

To be greeted by the inspiring vision of a bear, eating the last of the rabbit.

"You fucker," she whispered through gasping breaths, the words sounding more like a death rattle as she worked to regain control of her breathing. Magpie would need to recover quickly; under normal circumstances, the bear might've toddled off after finishing the hare's meat, but she was sure it was starving as well. If she couldn't present herself as a difficult fight, the Corvidae might be next on the menu.
ALL WELCOME threads are considered fair game to me, even if they are already in progress. My characters will often make one- or two-post cameos; if you'd like me to continue posting, just tag me and/or acknowledge my character!