Redhawk Caldera it's a hard whump life for us
run wild. live free. love strong.
321 Posts
Ooc — Riven
Joining 
When she had left Drageda behind, Magpie had not expected to live much longer. Injuries, starvation, and hallucinogens were bleak enough within the safety of a pack— they were typically a death sentence for a wayfarer. Her memory of that time felt more like a dream, with flashes of images that her mind couldn't quite latch onto. But she remembered him, and how for a brief moment it seemed she would finally achieve what she dreamed of and longed for.

She blinked back tears, pushing forward despite the pain that lanced through her spine and haunches.

It turned out that he had simply used her, and did not care to stay and see what might have come of that night. Even as she began to feel stirrings within herself, Magpie clung to the hope that she could make it alone— at least long enough to find the nomadic Corvidae. But she had grown larger, and no closer to reaching any hint of them.

And so she had altered course to return to the only other home she had known. Her journey became more urgent, driven by an overwhelming sense of wrongness, though Magpie did her best to ignore it. She did not stop to think what her sister would do, to ponder how this could possibly be reconciled with the fiery woman's view of family— only that Fox had done this numerous times before, that she might be able to guide her. Magpie couldn't lose this, too.

Her gait faltered as another wave of pain rushed through her. Redhawk Caldera was in sight, only a few minutes more, but the Corvidae's rear legs went out from under her. Magpie crumpled to the earth, sides heaving, small tremors rippling throughout her body.

"No," she moaned, sobs wracking her breath. It was too early.

Perhaps she had blacked out from the pain, but it was over more quickly than she had expected. Her throat was raw, possibly from screams she did not remember making, and the scent of blood was thick in her nose. She felt nothing but a dull throbbing in her hips and groin, and a wetness beneath her haunches— nothing against her underside. And there was no sound other than her ragged breath and occasional sobs.

Magpie shifted, a hind paw meeting something solid and slick. A strangled cry of surprise and horror left her throat, and she shut her eyes as a wave of nausea overcame her. Without looking, she knew. Yet, still, she braved a glance after she had steadied her breath. She thought she would scream again, but instead the Corvidae felt her heart and mind go numb.

She scrambled slowly and awkwardly against the earth, striving weakly to put some distance between herself and the three dead things.
ALL WELCOME threads are considered fair game to me, even if they are already in progress. My characters will often make one- or two-post cameos; if you'd like me to continue posting, just tag me and/or acknowledge my character!
Messages In This Thread
it's a hard whump life for us - by OG Magpie - August 24, 2016, 11:33 AM
RE: it's a hard whump life for us - by Peregrine Redhawk - August 24, 2016, 11:48 AM
RE: it's a hard whump life for us - by OG Magpie - August 24, 2016, 03:58 PM
RE: it's a hard whump life for us - by RIP Fox - August 25, 2016, 09:16 AM
RE: it's a hard whump life for us - by Peregrine Redhawk - August 25, 2016, 09:27 AM
RE: it's a hard whump life for us - by OG Magpie - August 25, 2016, 11:23 AM
RE: it's a hard whump life for us - by RIP Fox - August 25, 2016, 12:56 PM
RE: it's a hard whump life for us - by Peregrine Redhawk - August 25, 2016, 01:04 PM
RE: it's a hard whump life for us - by OG Magpie - August 25, 2016, 01:21 PM
RE: it's a hard whump life for us - by RIP Fox - August 30, 2016, 10:22 AM
RE: it's a hard whump life for us - by Peregrine Redhawk - August 30, 2016, 10:46 AM
RE: it's a hard whump life for us - by OG Magpie - August 30, 2016, 11:00 AM
RE: it's a hard whump life for us - by RIP Fox - September 01, 2016, 07:47 AM