Sea Lion Shores Saw you there and I thought
confidence, charisma, character
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
All welcome but open for @Charon if he'd like it for Naturalism. :)

Although she hadn't been to the ocean before, Saena understood it. She understood the way it undulated, knew that the moon overhead had something to do with it. Her toes curled into the damp sand underfoot as she stared out at it, taking in its rhythmic crash and pull and finding herself lulled into a sense of security by it. She wasn't in any danger—Stavanger Bay was nearby, but she wasn't close enough to pose a thread and besides, the pack was a friend to Blacktail Deer Plateau. She wasn't worried.

A dream she'd had months ago leaped to the forefront of her mind:

"The moon bends the water," said the dog-headed swan, motioning to the dream ocean, which was pink in colour and was rising and falling rapidly. The tides were occurring over a much shorter timespan than normal, nearly 100-fold its regular rate, so that Saena could stand there and observe it, though it should have taken many hours. "When the moon is near it pulls the water upward, and when it is far, the water sinks."

"What makes the water move toward it?" a younger Saena asked innocently, but the simorgh just shook its head. "Nobody knows. Some say it is the attraction of sea and moon spirits. Others say the ocean contains dust from the moon, and the dust seeks to return, but is trapped in the water which it pulls."

Personally, she believed the former theory. Lasher had made clear to her that spirits existed, so it seemed more likely that the spirits of the sea and the moon yearned to join, and so the sea and moon rose toward and fell away from one another. Her dreams, while inexplicable, were an enormous help to Saena's trade as a Naturalist. There was no way she could have theorized what made the sea move without the help of the goddess she dreamt of. She had her mother to thank for that skill, but she'd never know that.

Somewhere in the near distance, seals bellowed loudly. Her concentration seemed to snap like a wire pulled too taut when two large males smashed into one another. She turned her head to watch with some interest as a fight broke out, presumably over a receptive female, if seals were anything like wolves.
Messages In This Thread
Saw you there and I thought - by Saēna - December 28, 2014, 11:44 PM
RE: Saw you there and I thought - by Charon - December 29, 2014, 04:18 AM
RE: Saw you there and I thought - by Saēna - December 29, 2014, 12:45 PM
RE: Saw you there and I thought - by Charon - December 29, 2014, 01:31 PM
RE: Saw you there and I thought - by Saēna - January 02, 2015, 11:04 AM
RE: Saw you there and I thought - by Charon - January 05, 2015, 04:40 PM
RE: Saw you there and I thought - by Saēna - January 12, 2015, 11:20 PM
RE: Saw you there and I thought - by Charon - January 13, 2015, 09:25 AM
RE: Saw you there and I thought - by Saēna - January 18, 2015, 10:00 AM
RE: Saw you there and I thought - by Charon - January 19, 2015, 05:57 AM
RE: Saw you there and I thought - by Saēna - January 25, 2015, 03:07 PM