blooding the hounds of hell - round six
i was born to the witch boleyn
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Pack Activity 
pack hunt! round one ends Tuesday, August 25th
@Dante @Blue Willow @Malachi @Siren @Pearl @Sima @Casmir @Eilidh @Constantine

the elk that lasher had been following for some time had made their rounds. the bull had led his cows and calves back to the flatlands bordering the plateau. from atop a low ridge the beta male watched them, appraising the five cows that grazed a few feet aside from the bull. the half-grown calves frisked as children did about their mothers, pausing to glance 'round themselves for danger.

the murkwater eyes narrowed as he spotted a slight limp along the haunch of one cow; a scratch had notched the skin of her flank, and had become infected. a low sound of satisfaction emerged from the man's throat; he tipped back his earthen crown and crooned for the wolves of the pack to join him.

today's hunt was long overdue for the youngest members of the pack. their numbers had dwindled and the morale had diminished. come unto me, came the aria that warbled into the cool air of early morning, into the grey atmosphere now beginning to be touched by dawn's roseate fingers.

and he waited.
534 Posts
Ooc — Caitie
Pearl awoke to the early morning light gently touching the trees, illuminating the dew on the leaves and causing them to shimmer. She slowly stood and shook herself to rid the dew that had collected on her fur. She yawned widely, even though the previous night's rest had left her refreshed and ready to deal with what ever was thrown at her today. 

Her ear twitched as the delicate silence of the morning was slowly split with the howl of the pack's Beta. Her Peridot eyes widened with delight. A pack hunt. Nothing was better than the adrenaline that came with running with a pack and taking down a massive beast that would feed them for a week. She grinned as she started silently through the green forest toward Lasher and the hunt.
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness, I am stronger than you know.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue heard the sound and looking about her with slight satisfaction, she followed it. It would be a lie if she said she wasn't scared for the future. So many of the others gone, some in the same way that Peregrine had gone. It was sickening to her to know that many of those she trusted had betrayed her. She wondered for a brief moment, if her parents had the right idea. Stick with family only, you don't need a pack if you have your family.

She could certainly agree with her father's statement that they only hurt you. She sighed softly and looked about her again. She lowered her body a little further as she smelled Lasher's scent thicker. It had been a hunt call, and though she had still some improvements to be made hunting wise. She wanted to do the best she could. They needed this. She approached from behind and found another she wolf already there, she didn't know her. She dipped her muzzle to her and briefly touched Lasher's shoulder.
Hello Everyone. It's been forever.
leave that old record spinning
745 Posts
Ooc — ebony
the darkfurred boy had decided not to act like a complete jackhole this time around, and dutifully followed his father's call. excitement mounted in his breast as he realized the nature of their summoning, and he clambered to the ledge alongside his sire, peering intently at the spread of elk below. his mother was there; Cas turned to lick her chin and then cast his eyes at the pretty female who had joined the beta pair, but he said nothing.
please send all PMs regarding garait & casmir to relmyna
[Image: casfoot.jpg]
But in the silence I heard you calling out to me
263 Posts
Ooc — Ashur
Lasher's call reached Malachi ears, and for once the young man followed without hesitation. The rally was one long anticipated, and Malachi savoured the chance to run together and hunt as one. With every difference between this land and the place of his birth, these rallies were something they held in common, and Malachi cherished that. The excitement was enough to drive the worry of what could go wrong from his mind, and his thoughts were finally quiet when he reached the others.

He offered a customary bow to his betas and their child before he turned and dipped his head in a more casual greeting to an ivory gal he hadn't met before. A light smile crested his face, but he reserved his voice for the time being. Malachi would not risk startling the herd, but he made a note to introduce himself later.
Trades
[Image: warden.gif][Image: naturalist.gif] 1/5 | [Image: chronicler.gif] 2/5
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
im busy all night tonight too omg so quick work post ><

Dante smiled as he heard Lasher summon the pack. Finally they would gather for the hunt! He looked forward to this, not only for the role call it provided, but also for the excitement. His ear and head still pained him, but neither should affect his performance in this regard.

Almost everyone was there when he arrived and took his place beside Lasher. A slight nod was given, though... he would follow and the beta take point. His children were those in training and he had called the hunt. Leading this was only natural as well. It pleased him greatly to see Pearl in attendance already. It seemed she wasn't the type to arrive only to disappear, much like Malachi. Both earned silent approval for that.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
woops sorry guys! slight PP to get them going. Round Two will end Saturday, August 29th.

most of the summoned wolves had arrived to heed lasher's call; he dipped his head in deference to dante, nudged blue willow's cheek with his own. "there is a lamed cow in the herd," he murmured. "the elk is fierce, but i do not believe he will sacrifice the lives of the yearling calves for her. she still shows strength, but can be worn down."

"the herd grazes on rolling land, with hidden pitfalls and crevices. she may be persuaded to be cut away from her kith and run down into exhaustion," the beta continued quietly. "we shall form two groups. casmir, malachi, to me. pearl, blue willow, please accompany dante into the flatlands."

with that he turned and set a firm pace for them, wending down his wolves along the edge of the plateau. as the terrain changed from rocky ground to softer loam surmounted by long blades of summer grass, the hunting leader looked around himself for the others.

dante was an experienced hunter; he would know what lasher intended. he himself was still, his sharp eyes making quick work of locating their target as he awaited the others to ready themselves, and perhaps for the rest of the pack to join them.
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
He was late – but he had been a distance away when his father had called out. The swarthy boy came upon the scene, his ears slick upon his skull and his muzzle lower in regret for being late, and as he sidled closer to the group, his eyes flashed in the direction of his parents and brother. “I’m sorry I’m late,” he offered lowly, the scent of elk thick upon the air as he lowered his muzzle in submission and apology.

He had missed the group assigning, and trotting after his father, he waited for differing direction if Lasher disagreed – his lateness might even exclude him from the hunt.
all you have is your fire
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Lasher's plan was solid and made good sense. Dante looked at the two who were assigned his side, ensuring they understood the direction. He did sense what Lasher wished and when he wended a way, took towards the opposite, certain the others would follow him as told.

He kept wide, as he assumed Lasher did, but did not confirm this until he deemed them close enough to the deer. There he paused to await a signal from the hunt's lead, for only in charging together could they force the herd into enough disarray to scatter. The elk would only refrain from fighting if there was enough threat to keep him wary.

When they attacked, he would aim to cut from their current flank. If the healthy tended his direction, he would attempt to spur them away from their target and widen the gap. If not, Lasher could do the same from the other side while his group forced the lame cow into a different path.
534 Posts
Ooc — Caitie
Pearl gave a quick nod to the blue gray female, Blue Willow, now known to her as Lasher's mate. She quickly and silently followed in Dante's wake. She knew of this large animal they were hunting, but she had only seen a glimpse of it once or twice alone. Was it at all like a bison? All the frosted girl knew about these 'elk' was that they were very big, to be hunted by six wolves. It couldn't be all that different from a bison to take down. They both had necks to bite.

She started to see what Dante was striving towards, going wide to try and spook the herd into dispersing and force the lame one from the protection and safety. She watched him crouch as she did and waited patiently for the signal to strike.
But in the silence I heard you calling out to me
263 Posts
Ooc — Ashur
Malachi couldn't keep his gaze from dancing between Lasher and the plains where the herd of elk grazed. He'd never been much of a gamekeeper, but he recognized Lasher's method as one expounded by every pack he'd been a part of. This was something he could do, and his excitement grew and manifested in a tingle in his paws. When the group split, he snapped to his feet and made to follow the beta and his child. But the low mumble of another made him pause. He turned, and his gaze fixed upon Lasher's other son, body low and thick with humility.

His gaze softened, and he let Constantine pass closer to Casmir and Lasher. But the boy's approach reminded him of Eilidh, and Malachi searched the distant land for any sign of the blonde child's approach. A quick pass brought nothing, and his ears slacked. A turn confirmed the others were already far ahead, and if he waited any longer, he would miss the hunt himself. Reluctantly, he peeled his gaze from the horizon and turned to catch up with others before they tread out of range.

Malachi rushed to take position, hoping he hadn't kept the others waiting. He forced his thoughts from Eilidh - from the disappointment he felt for her, that she and her brothers would not share their first hunt together - and fixed his attention on Lasher instead. He could not afford to be distracted, and he stretched his mind to focus on the hunt as best he could.

@Eilidh I worry I may have PP'd, so if there's anything in this post you're uncomfortable with, please let me know and I will fix things up!
Trades
[Image: warden.gif][Image: naturalist.gif] 1/5 | [Image: chronicler.gif] 2/5
i gave until my soul hurt
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
*rolls in all ladylike*

Eilidh wasn't late because she was doing anything important. She wasn't late because her mother had asked a favor of her. No. Princess Eilidh was late because she had been in the midst of a nap. When the sounds of the others faded from her periphery, she finally woke, and found that no one was nearby. Not Pappa, not Mamma, not her brothers, either. Not even Malachi was anywhere to be found.

That's when the wind shifted and brought the mingling scents of the pack toward her, with a hint of elk behind it. Jolted from her sleepy state, Eilidh dashed across the territory toward the pack, making it just in time to see Malachi turn from her. With a soft yip, she nipped his shoulder in greeting, and fell in beside him. Her eyes ranged over the elk ahead, noting the weaker cow that the others studied. Eilidh knew little of hunting, but tracking was in her blood. She set her head down between her paws, and began.
Trades
Caregiver (5/5) / Medic (1/10)
Naturalist (0/5) / Botanist (0/10)
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue Willow followed behind Dante, pausing to look behind her for her other two brood. She smiled as she saw both come late, but they were there. All three of her babies here their first actual hunt. She was happy they went with their father he could tell them what to do better than she. Granted Dante could have as well, but they needed to learn all aspects and tracking was first.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Round Three will end Wednesday, September 2nd.

his party became larger than he intended with the contrite appearance of eilidh and constantine. lasher shot the pair a glance of vague annoyance, but his attention was summarily recaptured by the elk, who had begun a slow amble away from the hidden wolves. it would be folly to direct his children toward dante's group; he looked to see that the skilled leader had swung wide in anticipation of lasher's strike.

gathering his hindquarters beneath him, lasher sprang from the long grasses, the wind sweeping back across his fur, dragging at his pelt to display the musculature beneath. the herd spooked, lunged away from the pursuing wolf. his eyes were fixed upon the cow, but he glanced 'round once from her to note the position of the bull with his savagely tined antlers.

the cow bellowed, calling to her peers as their pace increased and her own could not meet the speed's demand; she began to lag behind her fellows. taltos followed fervently at her side; soon they would be to the juncture where dante lay in wait, and there surely they would cut her away from the herd, and began the killing blows.
745 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Casmir wasn't about to lie, he was pretty pleased being picked to go with his dad. Eilidh and Connie weren't anywhere in sight -- sucked for them! -- and so he trotted importantly at his father's side as his mother and the white wolfess went to join the gunmetal leader. Malachi followed. the boy mimicked his sire's movements and crouched, but the lesson was spoiled by the arrival of his siblings. growling a bit beneath his breath, Cas was vindicated by his father's disapproving look at the the two, and Constantine's contrite bearing.

winking teasingly at his sister, the boy almost missed the silently controlled explosion next to him, pausing in awe to watch lasher strike out after the herd. and then he was leaping some feet behind his father, caught up in the adrenaline of the movements, the sound of the pounding hooves.
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
The dark boy continued his submissive stance, and Lasher did not turn him away from the group. Eilidh was late also, though she fell in pace by Malachi.

Constantine’s ears splayed to his head at Casmir’s disproving growl at his appearance, and a scowl was shot to his sibling – unsure why his brother was so displeased by his appearance, but open to their sisters. Thoroughly ignoring his sibling now, the dark wolf watched after his father as Lasher darted out ahead toward the herd.

Instinct pulled at him, and he had no idea what he was doing. Shooting forward as well, while Casmir followed after their father, Constantine veered slightly to the side, fanning out the wolves and closing in the escape route for their prey.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
It wasn't until he paused, poised and attentive for the other group's actions, that Dante noticed the other children had joined them.  They all followed Lasher and the alpha's ear flicked impatiently.  It wasn't ideal to have all of the learners in a single location and he would have much rather paired them off with attentive partners.  Now Lasher and his two would have more to look after.  Hopefully once they joined in the chase it would not matter.

As soon as Lasher was off, he watched attentively, tracking when their course would cross. His frame was tense, and as soon as he deemed the hunt close enough, he surged forth with a low chuff of signal. The other two would hopefully be on his heels. In a flat out sprint he headed for the juncture between doe and herd, ready to make as the lance that severed her chances of redemption. He kept aware of his group's movements, and as they drew in close, maneuvered to stay out of their way while he snapped at the heels of the hind in an attempt to turn her head. The herd had already outpaced his own ability to spur them on any quicker, but perhaps one of his fleeter fellows could do that task. Avoiding a hoof that was desperately sent his way, he weaved back, pleased to note that their plan seemed to be working. The space was growing
534 Posts
Ooc — Caitie
Pearl glanced over at the other group, but saw two younger wolves approaching, almost shamefully. Judging by the looks that they received, they were obviously Lasher and Blue Willow's children. She turned from them and focused on the elk, where she quickly found the one they were going after. So this is what elk look like, she thought. The massive beasts were moving slowly, muscles rippling across a vast plain of smooth brown. The buck was obvious, but intimidating with his great rack of antlers. And then chaos ensued.

Lasher's earthen coat was a blur as he flew out of the underbrush, the elk scattering in fear. He headed for the doe, only turning his head to watch for the killer antlers of the male. Her head turned from the action, adrenaline rising, to see Dante. When he launched out, she ran steadily behind him, all of them trying to separate the weak one from protection. When she saw that Dante couldn't match the herd's pace, she sprinted ahead, snapping at heels and hindquarters here, avoiding kicks there, all in an effort to make them run faster. The thudding of hooves had become a steady beat, one she kept easily. She wondered if she could attempt to take one out on her own, but these brutes of pure force were stronger than they looked. Pearl did what she could, and as the herd grew steadily quicker, running farther away from their separated and wounded compatriot, she stayed behind them, spurring them on to not come back.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Round Four will end Monday, September 8th.

the cow lagged further, and the air was rent with a bellow of terror as dante led his group to cut off her escape. wolves leapt and whirled in a dance that would ultimately lead to her demise, and, dragging her wounded body to a halt, the elk began to stamp her massive hooves, darting at different members of the hunting party.

despite their numbers and her compromised state, the cow was still a formidable enemy. her small eyes watched them, and lasher hissed to his children, "get back!" he would not have them injured while the more skilled wolves performed their killing blows.

the beta circled her snorting form; she gave a hoarse squeal and tipped her hard crown to face him. in that moment, she presented her wounded side to the rest of the pack; dante was given precedence here, and the man leapt forward in an attempt to grasp her jugular. alone he could not hope to breach the thick flesh, but alone he was not.

however in his focused state the earthen man did not feel the hitch in his right shoulder until a spasm of pain slowed his charge. desperate and enraged, the elk lunged at him, kicking, and lasher was struck a glancing blow along his flank.

he was thrown some feet away following a nauseating snap of bone in his side; the man cried out once and was still, tossed like so much flotsam against a sagebrush.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante barely heard Lasher's order, he was so intent on the creature they had sectioned off, but when it got through he wordlessly agreed. They could observe and learn for the next hunt. The first was not the one to go for the kill, nor even the second. The first thing to learn when hunting large game was caution and respect.

This would be illustrated clearly only moments later, and while he hadn't immediately registered the spoken words, he saw Lasher's demise as though in slow motion in the instant it occurred. He could not tell the extent of the blow given but it was enough to throw the older man back. Instantly the alpha sprang into action, pure fury coursing through him as he lunged for the elk's front. The movement was reminiscent of one similar, the last pack hunt they had participated in with Saena where it was the girl who had been injured. Once more his only goal was to keep the prey, and it's heavy hoofbeats, away from the fallen hunter.

He let loose a heavy snarl as he rose up, teeth latching onto the base of the elk's throat. Once there, he pushed with all his might, forcing the animal back a pace before it lifted a hoof and dealt a square rebuff to his hindquarters. There was little weight behind it but it was enough to send pain lancing through, and he tore his teeth away, leaving a wound that would prove to be fatal - just not quickly enough.

Together they would have no problem closing this fight. Dante wished to look to Lasher, but could not, for his focus needed to be on the task at hand. He did not doubt that Blue had broken from the party, hopefully to check and tend to him as necessary. With any luck he had only sustained minor injuries. Dante did not like to think on the alternative.
745 Posts
Ooc — ebony
he was taken with the dance, the leaping steps, the lunges, the violent aria of snapping jaws -- he longed to sink his teeth into the hide of the wounded elk. but his father warned him away, and Casmir was snapped from his reverie. slightly annoyed, he backed from the bellowing cow, but every fibre of his being remained tense, ready for the kill and the resultant spray of blood.

he was not expecting the cow's attack upon his father, nor the sickening sound his sire's body made when it hit the ground. "Dad!" the boy shouted, choking in horror. Dante darted forward and numbly he followed, if only to ensure the elk's demise so it could hurt no other.
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Constantine was told to stay back from his father -- the ire of this not lost upon any who might have looked upon the sudden broody teen. His ears splayed back to his skull and his eyes watched with fierce desire to be fully apart of this. But he would not go against Lasher's word, and instead, he crouched slightly, his eyes gleaming as they took in the dance of the hunt.

Teaching dangers came best when speculated, and the brown youth watched in horror as his father was dealt a blow and his body flew through the air as if he held no weight to him -- one of the strongest wolves Constantine knew! The sickening sound of bone snapping stunned him for a moment, and the world seemed to shift to a radio silence. Dante was lunging at the beast who had done this, and Constantine stumbled over to his father's side, his jaws agape. He did not touch the man -- instead, his eyes lifted as they darted about for his mother, willing her to come forward and help him. "Dad," he uttered, uncertain of what to do now. "Don't move.. mom will be here soon."
534 Posts
Ooc — Caitie
Pearl was happily running along with the elk, still spurring them on, when she decided that it was enough and turned back to help with their kill. As she was racing back to the real action, there was the scent of fear coming from not only the doe, but from Lasher's children. She whipped her sights from the injured doe and saw the strong Beta lying on the ground with one of his sons beside him. When she turned back around, there was Dante, backing up with a blood-soaked muzzle. The doe looked in terrible shape, with part of her throat torn open, scared out her mind in pain. 

Without thinking, Pearl charged ahead, a blaze of white, she jumped and soared by the wounded female, managing to sink her teeth into the bloodied flesh, and swinging with all the force she had built up while running. A spurt of blood came at her eyes, as her jaws had ripped out a chunk of the neck. Temporary blinded, she let go and rolled on the ground, blinking away blood. She got up to her feet and moved away. She didn't know if it was almost dead or not, but judging by the blood streaming out of the wound, it soon would be. Pearl looked worriedly to Lasher, than back at Dante for a signal, or approval.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue Willow saw her lover, her mate fly through the air. Heard the crunch of bone. She growled softly, and turned swiftly towards him. She ran to his side, anxious and afraid. Oh Lasher. She sniffed at him, running her nose and muzzle gently across his sides and shoulders trying to find the source of the break. Constantine. I can't move your dad. I need you to run to my stores and grab, as much willow bark and willow fronds you can carry. Do you remember what they look like?

Blue licked Lasher's face trying to keep him calm, and still. If he were to move it could be much worse for him.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Round Five will end Sunday, September 13th.

the pain that wracked his body was nigh unto unbearable, and his mind, in a frantic attempt to quit the agony, began to dissociate. hazily he watched from above the frantic lunges of the wolves roundabout, the cries of his children; he breathed in the pine-needle scent of blue willow's pelt and heard the worried intonation of her rich voice, but he did not recognize the words.

all at once the beta male's consciousness was drawn roughly back into his corporeal form; he grunted in exhaustion, one murkwater eye fixing itself desperately upon his mate. lips parted to speak; the elk must be killed before it hurt another of their kith.