Flycatcher Downs Everybody runs, Fletch
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Wildfire had explored the Teekon Wilds in a pattern not unlike an egg cracked into a frying pan; the caldera was the yolk and the egg white was the surrounding territories. With Pan safely home and her wanderlust ever growing, it was time to venture beyond the skillet's edges. Although she didn't fear the north, she decided against venturing in that direction. The views of the south from high on the caldera did not interest her much. The young Outrider decided she would travel to the east, following the rising sun, and see what else its light touched beyond the regular gridiron.

She didn't ask but told her parents where she was going and how long she intended to be away, then rose at dawn to disembark after eating a hearty breakfast. Her fleet paws carried her across Meadowlark Prairie, past the mesa and onto another grassland: Fairspell Meadow. She veered slightly south there to give Sawtooth Spire a wide berth, loping along the outskirts of the uncharted lowlands for a while before angling due north toward a dark forest. Wildfire paused for a quick rest and drink, then continued until she found herself in yet another dry, grassy plain. It was slightly less boring than the others if only because it was entirely new to her.

She dropped her nose and sniffed, then raised her smudged muzzle again and tested the air even as she looked around herself. She saw some crags off to her left and what appeared to be a chain of lakes off in the distance straight ahead. Behind her lay the foot of the Sunspire Mountains. Almost everything was unfamiliar to her, which put the wind in her sails and a spring in her step. Moving more jauntily now, Wildfire began to traipse further east.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Life in Jade Fern Grove had not been easy so far. Tirelessly, they marked their borders, patrolled for intruders, and hunted for the children; all with little or no rest for the adults. The land was more sprawling than they were used to, took up more hillock country than they had ever cared for before. Laying claim to that large area took time, and even so, it seemed to not be enough. So that day, early in the star-studded morning, she kissed her family and left on her first outrider mission in months.

She went east, then south, skirting along the borders of Overture Downs, then between the warring scents of packs on either side. She stopped in Shadowyn Moor for water, then moved a little more due south than before, keeping track of her movements and the flora and fauna she countered. She saw a few wolves, though none really close enough to speak to. But it was good to know they were here, anyway. She'd tell Scimitar about them, and perhaps make her rounds to the packs she had passed.

But it was one being in particular, one small red thing, that caught her eye. From this distance, it could have been Paarthurnax. But as she loomed closer, and the small figure remained quite small, Kaskara admitted that it was not her friend, but someone else. Her two-toned gaze caught on the figure and followed her, their trails converging ahead. Kas wondered where her parents were, and yet again wondered what her parents were. Was this a fox or a wolf before her? Since it would be rude to ask, Kaskara instead inquired, "How fares the road for you, traveler?"
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Thanks for joining! :D

She wondered what the water tasted like out here. Everywhere she went, the water tasted a bit different. Back home at the caldera, it was slightly sulfurous and gave her bad breath. Lake Rodney was cool and refreshing. At some places, the water was almost sweet. Others, it tasted like pond scum. Perhaps she would get to try a whole new flavor at the upcoming pair of small lakes and their adjoining branches.

But a voice caused her to halt and turn. Her amber gaze clapped upon a svelte she-wolf with dark chocolate fur and a bulky build. Even from this distance, the sharp-eyed youngster saw the sliver of turquoise in the stranger's otherwise golden gaze, though Wildfire quickly dropped her eyes and acquired a neutral demeanor. She wanted to make it clear she wasn't a threat.

Her lips pursed at the strangely-worded question before she replied, "I'm enjoying my travels." Was that the right way to answer? She wasn't sure. "I hope I'm not trespassing or anything," she murmured. The she-wolf hadn't given any indication of such and Wildfire hadn't smelled any territorial markings here, though she knew it was possible there was a pack somewhere close by.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
You're welcome!

As Kaskara drew closer, she noticed that the girl was just that - a girl. She was small and very young, by the looks of her; not yet even grown into her ears or legs. She wondered briefly at her being so alone, but decided to leave it alone until she saw an invitation to ask. "Very good. Where do you travel from?" It was as close as she would get to asking about her parents, since Kaskara wasn't naturally a nosy wolf. She was, however, a naturally concerned one, but for now dampened that instinct.

At the girl's comment, Kas shook her head. "No, not trespassing at all. My pack lives nearby, but not close enough to cause concern. I'm Kaskara, by the way. Beta of Jade Fern Grove." Well, that felt weird. First she had been of Swiftcurrent Creek, then Nova Peak, and now this lush paradise, Jade Fern Grove. It was strange to think that in the last few years, her life had changed so much. It stunned her to think what might happen in the next two - more pups for Scimitar and Bazi (if they ever talked again) and perhaps even some for her and Kieran. The thought brought a faint smile to her lips.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She introduced herself after reassuring Wildfire that she wasn't trespassing. The youth took a steadying breath. Some packs were more territorial than others; some only guarded their claimed turf while others patrolled the surrounding territories. It seemed Kaskara came from one of the more easygoing camps. Wildfire technically came from a much more uptight pack herself, though there was no precedent for territorial behavior this far from home.

"Redhawk Caldera," she said, wondering if the name of her pack would make any difference to Kaskara. Although Wildfire looked young, she was a juvenile now, a seasoned fighter and traveler. She didn't feel the need for secrecy any longer, especially after discovering that the world beyond the caldera wasn't as mean as her parents made it out to be. All the same, she was still vigilant. Perhaps this information would trigger someone someday.

When Kaskara didn't seem particularly likely to tear out her throat over that information, Wildfire decided to add a bit more. "I'm Wildfire. This is probably the farthest I've ever traveled. I wanted to see what lay on the other side of the mountains." As she spoke, she glanced at the mountains behind her, which divided the Teekon Wilds into subdivisions of sorts.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
The name struck a chord deep within her. The caldera was where Junior had died. It had been by her own actions, but she died there, nonetheless. By the look of this child, she probably wouldn't have remembered it. Or perhaps she did, and was more scarred by the memory than Kaskara was at the retelling of it. Either way, Kas visibly flinched at the name, but did nothing else. It was not Wildfire's fault that Junior was dead.

"It's nice to meet you, Wildfire. You're quite far from home." It wasn't an admonishment, simply an observation. Kaskara hadn't caught the wanderlust bug until she was at least a year old. "Welcome to this part of the valley. I just moved here, myself." They could do a bit of exploring together, then, if the girl wanted to. Kaskara wasn't going to impress her company on her, but she wouldn't mind the company, herself. "Would you mind an exploration partner?"
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Kaskara welcomed her and Wildfire chose to focus on that rather than the woman's slight flinch. "Thanks," she replied. "Really? Where from?" she asked next. In addition to mapping out the wilderness, she liked keeping a running inventory of the local packs, though it was very hard to stay on top of all of them, seeing how often they came and went. "No, not at all," she added in regards to an exploratory companion.

She had been heading east when she'd run into Kaskara, so she motioned in that direction and began to walk, assuming the other she-wolf would fall into step beside her. Meanwhile, Wildfire kept one eye and one ear on her acquaintance, indicating that she was paying attention regarding the female's tale of relocation.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Kaskara fell into step beside the shorter girl, matching her strides so as not to out distance her. They were on a leisurely patrol, exploring the area, not on any great mission. They could take it slow. "The great storm a few weeks ago started a fire that destroyed our home up north, at Nova Peak. Hopefully one day I can return and see if its recovering." She smiled softly, thinking of the peak, the ridge, and all its beauty. She didn't live there anymore, but that didn't mean she didn't love it any less.

"So why are you up here? Just looking or are you training for a trade?" While it wasn't any of her business, Kaskara was curious. If she was an outrider, Kas could help. If she was anything else, well, Kaskara wasn't sure how much help she would be. But it could be fun to explore the area a bit, and having company always made things better.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Kaskara explained about the fire, causing Wildfire to glance sharply sideways at her. Fire had destroyed two or three pack lands, not to mention the handful of neutral territories it had wiped out as well. The storm had really done a number on this neck of the wilderness. They were very fortunate to have weathered it so well at the caldera.

"Sorry to hear about the peak," the youth said genuinely. "I've heard of a few other packs that went through the same thing. That storm really wrecked parts of the wilds, didn't it? There's a lake near the caldera that was practically emptied. The last time I went by there, there were all these dead fish rotting everywhere. It was awful."

Her acquaintance wondered why she was so far from home and Wildfire said, "I just like to explore, though I am an Outrider apprentice. Naturalist and Warrior too." She said this humbly, though there was a glimmer of pride in her amber eyes. "What about you?" What sorts of trades, if any, did this Kaskara possess?
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Kaskara nodded at her observation; the storm had wrecked the area quite thoroughly, especially parts of the north. She wasn't sure how the other areas fared, but it was probably similar to the peak and the ridge had, which was not very well. "Thanks," she said softly. Her head lifted a little as they walked, her ears swiveling to catch sounds around them. "Seems like we were all hit pretty hard."

Wildfire explained that she was an apprentice in three areas, and Kaskara smiled. "I'm an outrider, too. Working on my mastery for it." Kas glanced at the young lady beside her, reminded sharply of Junior. She didn't know if they were related, but they both brimmed with curiosity. "I'm also a warden of my pack. I've been thinking about gamekeeping, too, but I'm not sure."
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
It wasn't surprising to hear Kaskara shared the Outrider trade, considering the circumstances of this encounter, but it delighted Wildfire nonetheless. She was also a Warden, which Wildfire respected, though she found the field rather boring herself. She could never perform a duty that required wearing circles around the caldera. It seemed Kaskara hadn't fully committed to a third trade yet. This did not surprise the youth. Although she was fairly ambitious for such a young age, she knew many adults who didn't have even one trade.

"What makes you unsure?" she was curious to know. "My dad's a Master Gamekeeper. I'm just average at hunting myself. I'm a pretty big klutz," she explained.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Kaskara shrugged. "I'm not sure gamekeeping will be the best use of my time. I know it will help my pack, but there are others who can keep track of the herds and prey." She walked on in silence for a moment, thinking about what she enjoyed doing. She liked talking to others. Could she find a future in that? "I just want what's best for my pack." That was true of most wolves, wasn't it? Kas didn't know, but it certainly seemed those in her pack felt that way.

"Who's your dad?" she asked, glancing at Wildfire for a moment, before turning her gaze back toward the area ahead. The area ahead of them spread as far as the eye could see. Kas paused mid-step to stare at the vast expanse. The southern edge was rocky and the north held a variety of thin grasses. This was definitely a sight to see.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Wildfire felt similarly about the trade. She knew it was one of the most crucial in the pack, yet surely others were more suited to it. Meanwhile, she would contribute in a way that played to her strengths. Already she had proved to everyone that being an Outrider was a valuable asset and she would continue to do so. It pleased her, particularly showing her father how useful the trade could be to him when previously he had thought little of it.

Speaking of which, Kaskara asked about her dad. "His name is Peregrine," she answered, wondering if the name meant anything to the dark she-wolf. Many seemed not only to know her father (and mother as well) but also strongly dislike him. Her lip twitched. As unpopular as he might be outside the caldera, nothing would change Wildfire's opinion of him.

While she waited for Kaskara to react one way or another, she too scanned the view. She had seen both prettier landscapes and uglier ones. It wasn't just the aesthetics that drew her, though. Wildfire liked exploring completely foreign places. In fact, once she got to know an area pretty well, it ceased to be as alluring. She idly wondered if she would ever get tired of Teekon Wilds and venture away from it entirely, though she quickly pushed that thought away.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
As soon as Wildfire said his name, she knew; this was Fox's child. How else would she look so like one, and yet smell like a wolf? Kaskara nodded at Peregrine's name, wondering how much to betray. But if this girl was anything like Junior, there would be no detail spared when she returned home. So she decided the truth was the best option, and spoke as they walked. "I know your father. I was part of the plateau pack, more than a year ago now. I was only a subordinate, and in my hasty youth, I lashed out. He and his brother chased me out. I deserved it."

Kaskara wasn't one to skirt the truth, not when she decided to tell all. Of course Wildfire hadn't been alive to know the intricate details of the event, nor did she think Peregrine would tell them the tale. It wasn't one that was, in the end, important. Junior hadn't died that day; instead, she had been killed by this child's father. Junior's own father, if rumors were true. But that didn't concern her now. Wildfire had been a tiny thing then, she was sure, and had nothing to do with it, either. "I don't know him well, but he was a good leader in my time with him. Strict and no-nonsense. I was unfortunate enough not to know that at the time."
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
As soon as the words "I know your father" slipped from Kaskara's mouth, Wildfire braced herself. Although she did mention an altercation with Peregrine, she did not bash him. In fact, she complimented his leadership skills and took responsibility for her actions. Although it wasn't actually any of the young girl's business and she scarcely knew Kaskara, she suddenly had quite a lot more respect for the she-wolf and her diplomatic relay.

Wildfire wondered what Kaskara had done, exactly, but again: it was none of her business. It was in the past too, long before she was even born. There was no reason to dredge up ancient history, especially of the less pleasant kind. No, she would rather tamp down her curiosity about that and focus on what they were doing at present.

"I know you said you're new to the area," Wildfire said, smoothly transitioning the topic of conversation, "but do you know where we are? And for that matter, who names landmarks around here? All of them seem to have names but I don't know where they come from," she admitted, amber eyes flicking over Kaskara's face curiously.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Can we wrap this up soon?

Kaskara wondered what Wildfire was thinking, but didn't feel it was her place to ask. They continued to walk on in companionable silence for a while, and finally the younger girl asked where they were. Kaskara paused and looked around, wondering the same thing. "I'm not sure where we are. Somewhere east of the blackfoot forest." Kas chuckled then, turning to look back at Wildfire. "I don't know how these places are named. Like the forest. Why's it called blackfoot?" She shrugged, turning to look in the direction of the distant landmark. "Maybe its because its at the base of the mountain. Maybe the soil turns your paws black?"
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Feel free to post again or send it right to the archives. :)

Kaskara didn't know much about the origin of the names, though she took a guess. Wildfire pondered it. Perhaps a storyteller would have a lot of fun with the subject, making up all sorts of legends about the local landmarks and the history of their names. But the youth was no Chronicler. Her companion's guess was as good as any.

"Maybe," she agreed, then tipped her head. There was one landmark whose naming convention she knew personally. "My parents named our territory Redhawk Caldera because of their names. I wonder if it had a different name before that...? They only founded the pack there about a year ago," Wildfire pondered aloud.

They continued their exploration, conversing all the while about their surroundings and the various things they saw until Wildfire decided to go in a different direction than Kaskara. "Was really nice meeting you, Kaskara. Take care," the young Outrider called over a slim red shoulder as she tirelessly continued scouting out the unfamiliar terrain.