Moonspear Lionhearted
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
From certain places on Moonspear, Wildfire could see Redhawk Caldera in the distance. The sight of it caused a longing ache to bloom in her chest, so she tended to stick to the mountain's other side to avoid it. She traipsed there now, winding very carefully along a narrow trail as she followed the powerful scent of mountain goats. She did not expect to make a kill or anything close to it, though the huntress in the making hoped to scout out the prey and track the herd (if there was one).

The young she-wolf climbed to one of the smaller pinnacles beneath the main summit and spotted them: four fluffy white mountain goats on another, lower outcropping perhaps two hundred yards away. Wildfire crouched and slithered to the ledge of her small and precarious perch. She was no threat to them from up here but she wanted to lay low anyway, observe them in their natural habitat.

Maybe someone she hasn't met yet could join? @Thistle Cloud @Rain @Jura @Izo @Tevinter :)
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
It was with care that the she wolf climbed the higher reaches of the mountain. She took her steps with care, careful not to tread wrong and fall to her death. The top parts of the mountain, the higher places she did not like. However, she felt off not exploring them. So with trepidation, but also determination in her heart she traveled upwards, anxious and exhilarated all at once. The stubborn she wolf had done her best to always come out on the top of things, to always know what was going on. This was no different. If she wanted herself back, her life she had to work hard for it.

It was as she walked that Thistle smelled another, a new wolf that held her son Floki's smell about her. This wolf must be his friend. She chuffed quietly, to let her know she was there and continued upwards, finally stopping to study her and say hello.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Thanks for hopping in here! :)

For the better part of an hour, Wildfire lay there like a statue, motionless save for her amber eyes, which followed the four goats' movements. She was afraid she might grow bored, yet the time passed easily and the herbivores' behaviors kept her attention. It was interesting to watch how they ate, moved and interacted with one another. After a while, she could see patterns, like the fact that one goat always kept its head raised if the other three were busy grazing.

She heard slinking footfalls behind her and Wildfire finally moved, shifting to see who approached. The she-wolf was more or less a stranger, though the juvenile's black tail tapped the ground in welcome. She kept her ears splayed and her eyes averted. She was pretty sure this was Thistle Cloud, by simple process of elimination and because she thought she saw some family resemblance between her and Floki. His markings were, for instance, the same sandy shade as her pelt, and he had his mother's eyes.

"Hey. I was just spying on the goats," the would-be hunter said in way of greeting, motioning for the older she-wolf to join her on the ground.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle settled to her haunches and then her stomach so as to not startle what the girl was watching. She laid her head on her paws and looked down, curling her one white paw around her muzzle gently in comfort. She didn't say anything at first, just watched the herd as the little girl did beside her.

It's interesting to watch creatures that aren't like us isn't it? I used to spend time watching the Sea lions on the coast. I'm Thistle Cloud by the way, but most just call me Thistle. She wagged her tail and blinked her azure eyes at the girl a small smile on her muzzle as they sat in companionable silence. She hoped she spoke enough to start a conversation for today she longed for one.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She had guessed right: this was Thistle Cloud. The sandy she-wolf joined her on the ground, quietly situating herself before making a comment about sea lions. Wildfire quirked a brow, her expression clearly demonstrating her unfamiliarity with aforementioned creatures. She wouldn't mind hearing more about them and the other wildlife that took residence near the shores.

"I'm learning a lot," Wildfire agreed in a low voice. "I don't plan on hunting these guys in particular but I am working on my hunting. I feel like I'm improving, even though I'm just sitting here," she quipped, still gazing at the mountain goats for a long beat before facing Thistle more directly and adding, "Floki's told me about you and it's nice to finally meet. I'm a friend of his. Wildfire." She dipped her snout.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle chuckled at the girls comical expression. I apologize they were a creature from near the sea. A large brown creature....and they were nasty...some even bigger than wolves...they could be in the water and on land. They were strange creatures and dangerous. I found a dead one once and tried it, it didn't taste to good either. She smiled then and tilted her head slightly.

Thistle smiled, I am not a very good hunter, but my husband was. Granted my husband was also three times my size. So perhaps that was one of the reasons he was better than me. Thistle tilted her head again and grinned at the mention of Floki. Floki is a good boy. You know he is named for his father's best friend. I don't know if I ever told him that. She frowned in thought. She had been sorely lacking as a mother.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Sea lions sounded like they ought to be avoided at all costs. They way Thistle described them, they sounded a bit like bears that just happened to live in the ocean rather than on land. In the next breath, she mentioned her mate (Floki's father, Wildfire noted mentally) and said that his size had probably been the reason for his success as a hunter. Wildfire's lips twitched downward thoughtfully. She hoped that wasn't entirely true. She supposed a larger wolf might have more success with bigger prey. Wildfire imagined her small size and quick feet actually gave her an edge when it came to the littler beasts.

"Really?" she questioned when Thistle mentioned Floki's namesake, then said even the boy himself might not know about it. "He's not good, he's great," she disagreed with an impish smile, hoping his mother might appreciate that. "So what were Ragnar and his best friend like...?" she wondered, similarly hoping Thistle would enjoy the fact that Wildfire already knew a little bit about her late husband.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle agreed that Sea lions should not be messed with, even if she didn't know that was what the girl was thinking. She had stayed away from them at all costs. Thistle frowned in thought after she spoke and amended her statement. That's not to say that someone my size or your size can't be a good hunter. He was just triple my size and could take down much larger prey than me. For a big male he was silent. Thistle herself was not a huntress, had never been. Her trade lied with puppies and herbs. Though the former could be questionable. 

Thistle smiled and nudged the girl gently. Yes he is. Her next question caught Thistle off guard, and her heart siezed up for a moment, but she shook her head and answered the girl. I do not know much of Floki. He was a tricky beast, and loyal. I believe he was a shaman of sorts. He was also funny, a jokester much like the god Loki. As for Ragnar Thistle grew silent what could she say about her husband. Ragnar was insufferable, but I loved him with everything in me. He was fearless and brave, nothing scared that man. Except perhaps losing me or the children. We fought like you wouldn't believe, but we always made up. I was the only woman that he ever stayed with, that he never two timed, without my express permission. Ragnar was a tough man, a battle born, scarred man, and a beserker. But he was mine. Thistle sighed and moved her paws gently. Ragnar lived by his own moral compass. He was a harsh unyielding man, but he was a good one in his own way. Though most would tell you he was savage and cruel and I suppose he was, but most vikings are. It is the way of their life.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Judging by the expression on her face, Thistle not only hadn't anticipated Wildfire's familial knowledge, she was a little caught off guard by the direct question. Wildfire tensed, nibbling at her lip as she pondered how she always managed to do this (ask sensitive questions) without realizing it. Fortunately, Thistle put her at ease by not only answering the question but fully regaling her with vivid descriptions of both her husband and his friend, though mostly the former.

Oh, Thistle... she thought as the woman spoke so fervently of the late Ragner. She didn't say it out loud; it would sound out of place, patronizing. But Wildfire's heart truly went out to Floki's mother. It was very clear she had loved the viking, despite his imperfections, and that she loved him even still. The younger wolf could not even begin to imagine the scope of her suffering, having never lost anyone particularly close to her and never having been in love.

"I wish I could have met him," Wildfire murmured when Thistle was done. "Thank you for telling me about him." It must have taken a lot out of her. Although maybe she was happy, on some level, to speak so freely of Ragnar. Having forgotten entirely about the goats for the moment, the youth gave Thistle a look to let her know they didn't have to linger on the subject, though if she wanted, Wildfire was all ears.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle didn't mean to make the girl uneasy. She had been taken off guard was all, but she didn't mind. She would gladly regale anyone with tales of her late husband. Of his insufferable temper, but his gentle touch. or the way he hated some things and loved others so fiercely it hurt. Yes her husband had been his own male.

Thistle had loved her viking with everything in her, perhaps even more than she had. Perhaps that was why she failed so fervently as a mother, she had given all her love to a wild man. A man that took and took, and only gave a little, but in his mind it was a lot. yes she missed him more than she cared to admit.

Thistle smiled, He would have liked you. You remind a lot of a shield maiden we took in so long ago. She was brave and fierce like you. He would have called you one as well and he would have been proud of Floki's choice in a friend, perhaps more? THistle did not know for sure, but the way the girl talked about her son, she wondered if she had a brief crush on him or more. You know I was not much older than you when I met Ragnar. I was not even 2 yet, when I met him.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
"He would have liked you." This little statement meant a lot to Wildfire. She didn't know Thistle well, nor had she ever met Ragnar, but they were sort of legendary in a way. She had heard many stories from Charon and Floki about their rule of the bay. Wildfire knew what a shield maiden was and mentally protested, though she only smiled outwardly, flattered, unaware of the comparison being drawn between her and (possibly) her murderous half-sister.

When Thistle said, "...perhaps more?" the young woman blushed a little. She would never deny her chemistry with Floki, nor was she usually particularly shy about it, yet hearing his mother point it out was a bit more flustering than someone else. Did Thistle approve? She had said her late husband would have liked her but that didn't mean either one of them would give her their blessing when it came to their son. Wildfire's insides twitched nervously, though she took it as reassuring when Thistle drew a comparison between her age and the age she herself had been when courting the boy's father.

"Perhaps," she replied simply, lips curving, glancing down at her little red paws before dragging her amber eyes back to the mountain goats. Her lips parted now as she realized they had begun to move away, out of sight. So much for observation. Although Wildfire didn't regret the trade-off at all. She was happy for this opportunity to better acquaint with Floki's mother.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle didn't know the girl either, but one thing she did know. Her husband was a legend, he was bigger than life. And to offer something she knew the girl would have liked to hear, perhaps needed to hear, and it was true. Ragnar would have liked her, probably as much as Floki did. Especially if her style was as loud and vibrant as her coat. 

If the girl would have asked Thistle would have told the truth. She did not have to approve, that was not to say that she didn't, but she did not have too. It was Floki's choice who he fell in love with and honestly sometimes one couldn't help it, Thistle knew that all too well. ragnar and herself both had been testament to it.

I think love and even crushes are wonderful. You do your best to hold onto that feeling. It will lift you up in the most darkest of times. Thistle to returned her gaze back to the goats and she chuckled quietly, I'm sorry Wildfire it seems we have lost sight of our goats.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Gonna wrap this for us! :)

Thistle noticed the goats' departure as well and apologized. Wildfire shook her head rapidly and said, "No worries, really. I'm glad we got to talk." Sincerely, she wouldn't have traded this opportunity. "Although," she added in the next breath, "I think I'm going to see if I can tail them. I bet it's pretty hard to keep up with them in this terrain but... I wanna see if I'm up to the challenge. You're welcome to come with me, if you like."

Whether or not Thistle opted to tag along or stay behind, Wildfire cast her eyes around for the best route to catch up with the mountain goats. Tracking them through the crags and spears of the mount would definitely be an endeavor, though that was the beauty of hunting; it was full of risks and rewards. And by trying her hand at stalking the various types of prey out there, hopefully the young she-wolf would eventually be able to suss out where her specialty might lie.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle smiled at her and dipped her head. I am as well. Good luck Wildfire. If I should see Floki, I shall send him after you, but I won't come with you. I may just slow you down. She smiled and then motioned for the girl to go, she would watch. She hoped she would do well in her endeavors.