Lone Star Mountain belonging to the night
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
Private 
It was the dead of night and the clouds made the black sky look heavy and shrouded. There wasn't even a breeze to float away the clouds and let loose the sharp lights of the stars. But the land beneath rolled on unstilted, a beautiful mountain range tumbling towards the horizon. Around its edge roamed a true night wanderer — Noctura was quietly spectacular in size and bearing, but he was on edge. While normally he would be admiring such stunning lands and drawing feeling from them, tonight he wanted little more than to move past them.

He had felt that way for a few days now. This was because, while the ground on which he trod was neutral and unsullied by claimants, many of the lands around possessed the inescapable scent of pack wolf. He did not want to encounter some dominant passing Alpha or recruiter — he was a male of devilish weight and aggression, and was concerned he might kill someone if given the chance. Fighting was unavoidable in life, but Noctura had no desire to kick-start a fray that would quickly become a shower of blood.

Yes, he much preferred lone wolves. And for this reason, it was crucial he ignore the magic of the mountains and move fast across the landscape until the only wolf in the vicinity was his own dark reflection.

Private for @Asterr.
A dragon will never bow down
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
The joys of posting from a phone... I did not miss this lmao

Many of her journeys beyond the tribe's borders were driven by her desire to locate and recruit loyal followers, however such was not the case for today's trek. After her discovery of the cougars, she was met with the realization that an outside food source might be necessary in the days to come. Whether the felines would remain in spite of the wolves' presence was unknown, but if such turned out to be true, she wished not for her companions to go hungry. Those thoughts had been the thing to carry her away from the peak she strived to claim, and towards one that lingered nearby. It was connected to her home, making accessing it easy, though traversing it proved difficult. It was unlike her home, far more rocky and consisting of little life, but a noise in the distance made her certain prey could be found atop it. It was with her nose to the wind and her body lowered that she'd pursued the scent of the rams, her only intentions currently being to scout them out. If they appeared healthy and plentiful, she would share with Jolon her findings, for he'd appeared to have taken an interest in hunting. If they were few in numbers, though, she knew they would need to be left alone until their population was once again able to thrive; such would provide more meals in the long run.

Asterr found her steps slowing to a stop before being given the chance to spot the sheep, for a familiar form in the distance had caught her attention. From a distance, she had easily mistaken the stranger for Jolon, as they were similar in colour. Her steps continued towards him, posture friendly, until the space between them had lessened enough for her to get a clear look at him. He was large, just as the wolf she'd mistaken him for, but clearly not the same male. It was then she slipped into a more neutral demeanor, not knowing what to expect from him. In spite of her uncertainties, however, she did not veer away from the path leading towards him. She remained upon it, walking towards him until she'd entered speaking distance. It was there that she'd stopped, pale gaze looking at him curiously. For the first few moments, she did not speak, instead using her time to take note of his outward appearance; which was not an uncommon thing for her to do. Once her examination had been completed, her gaze was returned to his face, the gesture friendly rather than challenging. On neutral ground, they were equals, and so she would act towards him just as everyone else.

"Hello," the yearling greeted, hoping he might be interested in conversing. "Forgive me, but you remind me of a friend." A friend, her brother, the male she'd met atop the Sunspire... even herself, but only where colouration was involved. There seemed to be a great deal of wolves who looked similar, possessing the dark coats and contrasting bright eyes, which was oddly comforting. She took the time to then assess his scent that'd been carried on a small breeze, learning of his nature as a loner. Immediately, her interest in him was further piqued, but she refrained from bringing up one of her favourite topics right away. Instead, she asked, "Are you a traveler, by chance?"
You're a mirror with two faces
Two sides, simple as that
Thread titles are from Hyuna’s “How’s This”
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
It was quite the curse to be trapped in the hulking body of a warrior male with a violent instinct. But Noctura had no real problem with being in this body — he didn't feel uncomfortable in it, or that he should instead be walking around with a smaller form. He was who he was on the outside, and as a lone wolf had discovered that his considerable brawn always came in handy. It was the vicious instinct he could do without. If he could somehow learn to control himself in a pack environment and dip his head to an Alpha, he could put aside his loner's life once and for all.

But he had long given up hoping for such a thing. He would be a sojourner until he died, he was sure of it.

When a stranger made herself known to him, Noctura was tempted to ignore her and walk on by, but he paused — because she was beautiful. A dangerously fragile creature with a young one's face and fur as dark as his, she was immediately enchanting. The brute halted elegantly, one great paw still hovering in mid-air as if undecided. That surprises me, he replied quietly. His voice was very deep and had an English accent. But yes, I am a traveller. I'll hazard a guess that you're not one yourself.

Eep, phone-posting. @___@ I may have to learn how to do that some time soon.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Good luck - phone posting it like... I don't even know lol

The attempt she'd made to strike up a conversation with the familiar-but-not-familiar male was successful, which she was grateful for. He was not a rude sort, she could at least give him that, though his overall bulk had her questioning her rationing skills. Had he been some foul beast, surely her approach would not have been responded to with words, but never did she consider the like. It was in her nature to seek out the best in others, weaseling down through their outer image and to the center of their existence. Often it was believed such capabilities to have been bestowed upon her by a deity, though in truth it was nothing more than her perceptive essence. Nevertheless, it rarely failed her, and so she did not fear things a normal wolf of her standings might. The male was larger than her, his intentions unknown, and yet she felt comfortable standing across from him—perhaps she'd grown used to the mass of some males, given those she'd welcomed into her tribe.

Briefly, her gaze had flickered to his paw that remained suspended in the air, wondering just what he would decide to do. Words followed, true, but that gave her no real insight as to whether he would remain in her company or not. However, she found herself hoping he might at least humour her with a small conversation, for the lilt he possessed had her desiring to learn all that she could of him. Sadly, the topic was then directed towards her, bringing her back to her senses effective immediately. It would be foolish to request his life's story, so to speak, and so she would focus on where they could take their conversation without her insisting upon asking personal queries. "I was once one, not too long ago," she began, a smile touching her lips as she'd recalled her journeys. "I suppose I still am one, however I have a place to return to at the end of my travels nowadays." A home she could rest her paws at when such a time was needed, and the focal point of her attention as of late. While she'd traversed vast expanses of land prior to her desire to settle atop the mountain, such could no longer be accomplished. Asterr had committed herself to her tribe, and would not abandon them simply because wanderlust called to her.

"Never before have I met someone with an accent sounding of yours. Have you traveled far to reach these lands?" So much for avoiding more personal questions—er, sort of. It seemed to teeter between being personal, since she'd indirectly asked of his homeland, and not, for it could also serve as her speaking from one adventurer to another. No matter from which side he took it, she hoped an answer to be given.
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
So she was a packwolf. Noctura had assumed as much, judging by her scent which was rich with those of other wolves, and by her general state of good health. A wolf this small and young would likely find it difficult to survive alone in the wild, though he would wager she'd thrive if she charmed her way into favours from endeared passers-by.

Other than this, Noctura could make no further judgements on what made a packwolf, for he outright avoided them. She was one of the few he had met — and he hadn't even wanted to meet her. It was too late for regrets, though, and he found her to be a physically charismatic young creature. Charismatic in other ways too, but it was too soon to tell. For he hadn't heard much from her yet.

She inquired about his accent, and he wasn't surprised. Most voices he had heard since a very young age had been quintessentially North American, best distinguished not by accent but by their various tones and cadences. This girl had a lovely voice.

I'm from across the sea. I was born in the captivity of humans in England, and sent to this country at a young age. He paused. He didn't want to hear anything about packs, but he found himself wanting to learn more about this female. I'm impressed you still have a desire to travel. As a loner I can't relate to having a home, but I always imagined that once you have one you'd be loathe to leave it.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Across the sea. Truly, he had traveled far—farther than she or any wolf she was acquainted with. His tale interested her greatly, bringing her to wonder what type of life he'd been born into. Humans, from a distance at least, had never piqued her curiosity. They were strange beings that possessed loud noisemakers, and it was rumored that some even killed wolves. They were a dangerous sort, so she was quick to consider him lucky for having been permitted to leave them. "Did they ever cause you harm?" He looked to be well, conditioned quite nicely in spite of the wintry months, but she still wondered. Wounds healed, not everything scarred, not everything left marks behind. Being distrustful of the two-legged species, she wished to learn of his experiences with them, even if it was only offered once piece at a time.

It was strange, in some ways, that she still sought the experiences that came with a pleasant journey. Despite her desire to settle, that part of her would never cease to exist for as long as she may live. "I have always been interested in seeing new things," she stated, offering some insight behind her lingering wanderlust. "It is troubling... leaving one's home, that is. It is especially difficult for me, as I have promised to protect our land and those who have pledged themselves to it and me." Never could she leave for a long period of time. It would leave the volcano absent of a leader, and would grant those who're unwelcome the chance to try and acquire access into her lands. "Even still, I cannot deny the urge I receive every now and again, insisting I travel to see new things." To do so would be the same as going against herself, and though Asterr wished to become a great leader, she would not cast herself aside in order to do so. Such would be unhealthy, and it'd most likely make her miserable.

While she'd carried on to his latter words, Asterr then found herself jumping back to what he'd said prior. "Have you ever considered seeking out a home? Settling down somewhere, perhaps, so that you might have a place to call your own?" She'd held off for as long as she'd been able to, but in the end, she'd needed to gauge his opinion on settling down. Some didn't wish to tie themselves to any single place, but for others it was their top priority. The dragon wondered which category he fell into, or if he was somewhere in the middle.
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
Noctura was a romancer, and so a more epic story might have suited him better — perhaps that he had wandered from beyond the sea, leaping from isle to isle, swimming with the sharks, moving with the waves, and perhaps borrowing from the force of nature around him. But no, he'd been plonked in a crate, stacked on a ship, and the memories of those choppy waters had been so blind and claustrophobic that he'd blocked them out for years.

Did this count as "harm"? Truly, Noctura had never really thought about humans before. When he'd been in captivity he'd been a young puppy, and therefore mostly under the protection of his mother and far away from groping human hands, and he didn't really associate the crate incident with humans. And the moment he and the others had been set free, he and his father Crunch had ventured far, and there had been no sight nor sound of humans since.

Not that I can recall, was the simple answer. And I've never been particularly bothered by harm. It sounded odd, but it was true. Crunch had "harmed" him in a number of ways, but Noctura did not act or feel like someone who'd had a traumatising upbringing. Just an extremely wild one.

It interested him more to learn about this dark girl with the lovely form and articulate voice. She spoke of home and away, and also of... "those who have pledged themselves to it and me." He made no comment, but was surprised on the inside. This little thing was an Alpha? Noctura could barely compute. All he could think was that if a creature like Crunch were to discover this yearling at the head of a pack, she'd be dead within seconds. The fur of his neck bristled fiercely just thinking about it.

Settling down... no. He confirmed quietly. The night is my own. It's a home I share with many.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
To her surprise, but more so relief, the humans had apparently done him no harm. Perhaps the tales she'd heard could not always be counted upon as facts, though she wasn't willing to test that theory. The male might have been able to get by unscathed, but something still held her back from trusting that all could be similar to those who'd once housed him. Between the noisemakers and the rumors of them killing wolves, she could hardly see them as anything but awful. "I had heard tales of humans doing terrible things," she voiced, offering up a reason behind her question. "I had been concerned for what they might have done to you, but I am put at ease by your words." Even if she still could not trust them as a whole, she could at least give the ones who'd released him credit. They would have been fools to prevent such a wolf from ever entering the true wilderness, however this she did not say.

Previously, his words had brought her joy, yet now they'd disappointed her. Asterr was often concerned for the safety of others, it was a curse of sorts that had plagued her since birth. It was due to that that she could rarely accept someone's reasoning for not seeking a proper home, especially with winter having surrounded them. It would be no easy task to lead her off of the topic, but when it came down to it, she knew she could force no one to do anything they did not wish to. Not only because of her size, but because it would go against everything she stood for, everything she was. "The night can be an exceptional time," the dragon started, the pitch at the end making it known she still had more to say. "But have you never thought of how it may feel to settle down somewhere that could serve as a true home? A place where you might be able to form bonds withincreate a family, even?" There was a slight tilt to her head as she questioned him, curiosity alive in her gaze. Some were not cut out to settle down withing a pack, but a tribe was different (to her, at least). A tribe in a whole was a family, a group of beings who would look out for one another no matter the circumstances, who knew one another better than any outsider ever could. Did not everyone strive for that type of commitment?
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
She had been... concerned for him? Noctura's brow furrowed slightly in curiosity and faint confusion. How could she have concern for the wellbeing of a complete stranger? But then it struck him — he often felt much the same. There were wolves like his father Crunch who knew their physical power and used it to devastating effect without batting an eyelid. But to Noctura, the idea of tearing through a pack and slaughtering every challenger until he stood as Alpha was a sickening one. He cared for the lives of strangers — just as this female did.

As for humans, he had dissociated them so much from his life that he had no response to what she'd heard about them. Many predators, like wolves and humans, were dangerous, but he had indeed heard that humans were in a bizarre league of their own. All he knew was that there was no magic in them. He had never sensed a soul in a human before.

"But have you never thought of how it may feel to settle down somewhere that could serve as a true home? A place where you might be able to form bonds within — create a family, even?"

For a good couple of seconds, the hulking wanderer didn't reply. How could he? The answer was so complicated. I've considered it the way a fish might consider flight, he replied carefully. I think there is... an unknown magic in packlife that I would like to discover, but it's just not meant for me. I was raised to instinctively fight every soul or path that leads to a peaceful and obedient life of collaboration.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
The male's choice of wording had been almost poetic, but even so she was not convinced. His reasoning, she found, was flawed. No matter how someone was raised, they were always able to change themselves if they wished to do so. Rarely was anything ever set in stone, and so she could not honestly say his answer was accepted. Rather than her mind being set towards something else, her determination to learn more of him and how he processed things grew. "If a fish were to be offered a chance at flight, do you not believe they would take it?" Logically speaking, the chances of such ever happening were practically nonexistent, but she'd wished to make a point. "Whether something is meant for us or not, that does not mean we are unable to pursue it if it is presented to us," the girl stated. "If to be able to discover that type of magic is something you desire, nothing should hold you back from accomplishing that."

Loyalty is something she sought, the promise that a member would stay within her tribe for as long as they may remain whole. From what the male had said, and the fact that he was a wanderer, she could not see such a guarantee coming from him. However, she was still willing to offer him a place within her home, for that which he wished to witness would then be given to him—in turn, perhaps, he might even realize that he enjoys a life with companions rather than being alone. "I can offer you a chance at viewing the magic you are interested in." The dragon's gaze locked onto his own, watching and awaiting what more he had to say. "Even if you choose to leave, would it not have been worth it?" Asterr had been given the loyalty of several others before him, but this time around she did not request it. There was an offer for him to join her, but also the knowledge that she would not hold it against him if he'd end up leaving later on.
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
Noctura watched her silently as she spoke. There was truth in what she said, and an intelligent optimism, but also either enormous faith or quiet naiveté. For even though she was an Alpha she was young, and not only that but she clearly didn’t see any danger in Noctura — or if she did then she was doing a very good job of hiding it. She was out here alone, small and not well-muscled. Perhaps she could move like the wind, but Noctura had longer legs. Had she considered that he might be a threat? Did she know that her best chance of survival was to outrun him and hope never to see him again?

Perhaps she simply trusted his apparent tameness. And yes, perhaps that was what he needed — someone to believe in him, and motivate him to overcome his primal instincts and rejoin civilisation. But that was not enough for him to risk what might end up being a brutal massacre and the end of his own life. Nor was the promise of spending more time around this charming girl.

If I failed at pack life, I don’t think that failure would come in the form of a peaceful departure, he confessed. He looked down into her eyes. They were silver, like his, vivid like the moon. There was absolutely nothing about Noctura that came close to submission — but nor was it dominance. He simply stood, tall and intimidating, neither trying to stare her down or submit. It seemed as if he were a statue who’d held this stance his entire life and knew no other way. In his life with Crunch he’d been led to believe that the only way his body could be made to submit was by force — and what physical force was there in the lissome little beast he saw before him?

My soul might be inclined to join a pack — and to follow you, beautiful stranger. But my instinct has known nothing but aggression. I know of the hierarchy of packs, and as much respect as I have to those of strong character — such as yourself — I’ve never bowed my head. I could simply make myself, he confirmed, and play at Omega, I’m sure it’s easy enough. But I’m… I’m not in control of my more violent instincts. It was a shameful confession, said quietly. But this female deserved the truth. I was raised the reflection of a brute who answers to no one.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Though their heights and builds were practically polar opposites, she could not bring himself to fear him, nor look upon him as a threat. Frostrar and Jolon—both of whom were quite large—had posed no threats that might make her wary of those bigger than herself; and even if they had, for her to fear anything was out of the question. The chaotic emotion that was fear had been evicted from her entire essence within her first few weeks of life, for she'd been taught to not let the unknown control her. To do so would be to give the dragon deity complete control, and that was, without a doubt, out of the question. While Draco was revered and looked to for guidance in times of dire need, for him to take control of his vessel and walk the earth freely would be disastrous. It was for that reason that she'd been brought up surrounded by knowledge, and had been deprived of the ability to experience true fear.

"You may never know that to be true if you do not at least attempt it," she countered, but her voice remained soft and a smile had touched her lips. Though he towered over her, she could not feel intimidated by his presence. In her mind, if he'd meant to cause her any harm he would have taken action already—but he hadn't. He simply stood there, stoic, carrying on a conversation with her. As far as she was concerned, there was no reason to fear him, even if she were capable of such. "You seem quite in control from where I am standing," the girl said. "How you were raised, you can break away from that image someone else gave to you." No matter his upbringing, he was alive and well. He was a strong male, as could be noted simply by looking at him, and could easily push past the teachings of his childhood if that was what he wished to do.

"I will not ask that you submit to me." Never had she asked it of the others, and it was unlikely that she ever would. In her eyes, a leader should not demand their followers to display such belittling poses. A leader's duty is to provide guidance to those who had given them their loyalty, not force them to complete some petty acts just to feel as if they are most important. Without the followers, their would be no leader; those in charge should feel grateful towards their companions. "All I ask for is that loyalty be given, or, at the very least, a promise to work towards building a bond of trust. I would never ask for those of my tribe to bow their heads to me, nor would I demand that they throw their lives away for me. As a tribe, we would be family, and within a family there are only equals." Such was the way she'd been raised, and such would be the way she'd watch over her home. "And I thank you for your compliment," she began. "But you may call me Asterr." While her expression showed that she wished to learn of his name, she would not force it out of him if he did not wish to share it.
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
Focussed though the dark wolf was on the female's very sweet appearance (Noctura was, after all, a hot-blooded male in his prime), he did not fail to see what other magic exuded from her. Emotional intelligence. Unfettered belief. A fearlessness that seemed to stem from faith in some overpowering goodness. In some ways she was a breath of fresh air, but she was also oddly familiar. He hadn't met anyone like her before, but he had felt what she stood for. He'd felt it when he'd watched three oblivious fox cubs playing in the distance. He'd felt it when he'd seen the stars appear suddenly from behind a raincloud. He'd felt it when a single blue butterfly had landed on his ear in the dead of Winter.

It was as if he knew her. Or rather, he knew her magic. He just hadn't known that such magic could take the form of a wolf.

Noctura was quite in control of himself right now because he wasn't in claimed territory surrounded by creatures naturally inclined towards hierarchy. He had no idea what to make of the idea that this was an Alpha who did not expect her inferiors to submit. Hierarchy was often about personality and bonds, yes, but it was also about simple, primal, wild instinct, natural and aggressive.

Wasn't it...?

He felt as though he'd been walking through the clouds and had suddenly taken a wrong footing. The idea of some exceptional wolf pack that superseded what instinct demanded was simply beyond his reckoning. And Noctura felt like he needed to continue his point — convince her that, no, he was a threat, a beast, unpredictable and savage. But she was too persuasive. Asterr. The idealist, the charmer. The persuader.

My name is Noctura. It was all he could say. For the first time in his life, he was being encouraged to question his very nature as a part of this world.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
A name was given, but no more words were said after that. She wished to know what he was thinking, what he was considering. Had her efforts paid off, or would he stick to his previous beliefs? She hoped for the prior for a number of reasons, but the main one being that she did not wish for him to be deprived of a chance at joining something simply because he believed himself not a fit for such a life. "Noctura..." she repeated, her voice but a murmur as she tried out his name. It felt foreign on her tongue, but also quite charming in tone. Though the name itself as one she'd never heard before, she found herself taking a liking to it, if only for whom it belonged to.

Asterr approached him, further closing the distance until she was directly in front of him. She'd needed to crane her neck slightly in order to once again meet his gaze, for the closeness would have had her staring at his throat had she not. "Would you like to be apart of my tribe?" she asked, the question direct and tone absent of hesitation. It would be pleasant, perhaps, having him around. The way he viewed himself was far different from that of anyone she'd met in the past, and the dragon could not deny her curiosity in why that was so. She wished to learn more of him, figure out that which made him tick and what drove him to get up each and every morning. Before she could ask him such questions, however, a bond stronger than a mere acquaintanceship would have to be formed, and what better way to do that than to have him nearby? Her voice had since fallen away as she stood in silence, a glint of anticipation in her gaze as she awaited his answer.
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
Asterr moved like the northern lights.

Noctura had never let any wolf get this close to him before. Normally his hackles would raise, his teeth would bare, and he'd barely notice the thunderous growls coming from his own throat. He was a defensive beast, always ready to strike. But Asterr seemed to have a calming effect on him — a phenomenon he'd never known before. He didn't feel his fur bristle or his teeth clench together. He heard no growls. He simply stood, cool and charmed, one silver gaze melting into another.

The future was dark and light all at once. Deep down, in his brazen bones, he could feel the harrowing possibility that this sparkling new bond would result in blood, death and loneliness. But there was something else, something new, and Asterr's unyielding hope was infectious. And dangerous. All he could do was answer her question with the honesty she deserved.

Yes. I would like that.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Can fade with your post, and then we could get another up in the Thunder Dome if you'd like for them to speak more? :D

It'd been a bold move to move so close to him, not knowing still what he was capable of. She had not feared him though, even with the space between them lessened. A stranger he might be, but she was at ease around him, worrying not that he might harm her. She knew he wouldn’t—or rather, she was certain of it. It was the silence that had unnerved her, the anticipation that came with awaiting an answer from him. His decision was an important one, for the both of them, and she was focused upon hearing his voice once more. Once his answer had finally come, her expression had been taken over by a welcoming smile and even her tail, which had previously been stilled, swayed gently once or twice. He had accepted her offer, something that was very pleasing to the young dragon.

Her voice had escaped her momentarily, and so she'd opted instead for stepping even closer to him. She did not go forward in order to touch her forehead to his chest, but rather veered off to the side slightly so that she may gently press her muzzle to his shoulder. It was her official welcoming to tribe members, something she'd done to the lot already following her, and would continue to do to others in the future. From there Asterr had stepped back, her voice finding it's way back to her just in time for her to say, "Welcome, Noctura. I am looking forward to having you near." It was the truth, she knew, just as it was for several others. She wished to learn of them, to hear their experiences in life so that someday they could all stand united beneath an unbreakable chain of trust. It also wouldn't hurt, she'd soon discover, to allow for something more to bud from her constant interests.

A handful of steps were taken backwards before she'd stopped and waited to see if he would follow. It was high time she got back to the volcano, and the perfect opportunity to give him the grand tour of their soon-to-be territory. "I wish to show you around our home, give you the opportunity to grow accustomed to it's many ridges." She would stand there until he moved closer, and then turn to start them off in the direction of the boundary lines that marked the start (or end) of their home. Towards home she would walk with him at her side, happy to have succeeded in having him agree to join her.
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
That sounds perfect! Please feel free to start a new thread, or shoot me a PM if you'd prefer me to. ^__^

Welcome. He had never been such. Even as a puppy, while he had a dim recollection that his mother cared for him, no baby as hungry and heavy as baby Noctura would have been a welcome one. After that, the humans who commanded his home had cast him out because he'd been the wrong breed. Then, after that, he'd spent his teenaged months with Crunch, his savage father, and he had hardly been welcome in his company. In the months and years that followed that, he'd met a fair few wolves and other animals, and although some were friendly none had been able to shake off the feeling of unease they got around him.

And then came Asterr. She was an anomaly, a deviation, a beautiful curiosity. And had he been a lion, he would have purred.

There was still a part of him that thought her naive and unable to see the simple, physical danger that stood before her, but frankly he was just too charmed to let that effect him. Noctura didn't speak, not trusting that he wouldn't just return to his senses and turn her down. Instead, he moved to join her, his long strides slow and elegant as he walked at her side.

He didn't notice it, but there was a slight difference in his posture now. His head was lower than it had been, as if to listen to her with more ease. The tips of his ears were tilted back, as if a strong wind was flattening them. His tail was low, adjacent to his strong hind legs. Noctura, a dominant male by nature and nurture, was subconsciously feeling his first natural instinct to submit.

For the first time, he moved his eyes from Asterr to the path ahead. And suddenly the beauty of the night-touched land around him was not something he needed to get through. It was something tangibly desirable. Was this the beginning of what he'd thought impossible?