Larksong Grotto At It Again
King
"Bad boys aint no good, but good boys aint no fun."
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Charley hadn't seen Aspen since dropping her off at her den, and he found himself growing anxious. With his growing obsession for the younger female, he'd been neglecting Emory a little bit. He did what he could for her, of course, but the bare land made it nearly impossible for such a large and distinctly colored male to hunt and with a pack around there was little to protect her from. Perhaps Reek can come to her rescue next time, was his first bitter thought. Of course he'd been scenting the alpha on Emory more, but then again they were in his pack. Perhaps he was overreacting, but either way it was pissing him off. The imbalance of his life was throwing him off too, and he sought out his only other thing that'd ever made him feel good: the silvery female. He stalked around Larksong Grotto, sniffing around for @Aspen. It was a subconscious decision, though once he realized what he was looking for, he didn't fight it. Maybe she could help him out of this foul mood. His creamy paws lead him towards her den, letting out a low bark of greeting. Was she here? Looking up into the sky, it was about midday. She likely might be out trying to hunt, or something else. Please be close....
343 Posts
Ooc — Shannon
Aspen was enjoying a nap, her stomach growled as if to remind her that she hadn't had much food in a few days. At least now the locusts had scattered. She felt a bit useless as of late not being able to hunt for the pack and the wolves of the grotto were growing hungry. She didn't know how long the pack would be able to keep this up she prayed that the forest would regrow. 

She lay with her head resting on her paws but her ears remain alert in case her prescence is requested by a packmate. Just then a friendly bark came at the entrance of her den familiar at that. It was Charley. What could he want? She was curious and scooted towards the entrance of the den and then she padded out to greet him. "Hey," she said with a smile. "Miss me?" she teased before realizing something was up.

She stretched and then softened her gaze slightly. "Hey...what's bugging you Charley?" she asked calmly. "Hunger getting to you too?" she tilted her head curiously but keeping her gaze on his blue eyes.
~ Until you're broken, you don't know what you're made of. It gives you the ability to build yourself all over again, but stronger than ever. ~
King
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Thank goodness, was his first thought as rustling came from the den. Her silvery pelt pushed through the entrance and Charley exhaled in relief, drawing in another deep breath as her scent wreathed around him. She joked with him a little bit, asking if he missed her. The answer was hell frikkin yes, but then she seemed to notice his irritation. She questioned it, and warmth spread through his thick pelt: Someone cared. Even about a wolf like him, someone cared. True, she didn't yet know about the things he'd done in life.... But he hoped she wouldn't hate him despite them.
     "Suppose I did miss you, angel. The real question is, did you miss me?"
He chuckled lightly, but he felt seriousness ring though his words. Did she miss him? Yes, they'd only spent a few hours together, but then again he'd never been so willingly open to a stranger: never before had anyone got through his walls. Emory was there before the guards went up, he didn't count her. Aspen here, she'd split those walls and ghosted through them like they weren't there. The scruffy male didn't answer her question about what was bothering him, mostly because he'd already mostly forgotten he was even in a rough mood.
343 Posts
Ooc — Shannon
Aspen liked the new nickname that Charley had come up with. This one had a nice ring to it. Angel. It was sweet. He said that suppose he did miss her and then turned her question on her. Asking the same thing. "Yea, I did. I had a lot of fun the other night and it was nice to be able to talk to someone for once. You know you're the only person I have ever talked to about my past," she stated as she shifted on her paws. 

Charley avoided her question entirely perhaps he didn't wish to talk about it anymore. "Hey are you up for a walk or something...Perhaps we can find some food in this barren land. The caches are empty and it worries me," she mentioned glancing out over the sparse trees and dead grasses. Her stomach growled as if to solidfy the point further.

Prey was rare around here lately mostly because there was no food for them to eat. They had enough problems finding prey in the first place without the locusts taking the rest of it...
~ Until you're broken, you don't know what you're made of. It gives you the ability to build yourself all over again, but stronger than ever. ~
King
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
A breath he hadn't known he was holding escaped from his throat, but Charley was thrilled to know she missed him.Aspen seemed a little nervous, and it was brought to light as she admitted that he was the only one who had heard her story. Before he could process any thoughts, the grey female asked him to go for a walk, look for something to hunt with her. The big male might've rejected her, had the rumbling of her belly not reached his ears. Not only did it drive him to find food for her, it made his own stomach grumble. With a nod, he headed away from her den at a gentle, leisurely trot.
"You're the only one to know my tale, as well. I like knowing you miss me too, it's nice to feel wanted."
343 Posts
Ooc — Shannon
Aspen was glancing around at the barren landscape. Not a hint of green in sight. She wondered if this land would ever recover or if the pack settled in larksong would be uprooted and forced to move to a place that was unaffected by the locusts. Was there even a place in the wilds that offered that? 

Aspen trotted alongside Charley and listened as he said she too had been the only one to know his tale as well and also that he was happy to hear she had missed him because it made him feel wanted. Yes that sounded right. Aspen wanted Charleys company very much so. The time she spent with him meant so much more than any other wolf she had met.  

She gave him a warm smile trying to hide the worries that she had been dealing with lately. "How have you been?" she asked with a slight tilt to her head, remaining alert to any potential prey. I wonder if we will find anything. She thought before deciding not to think about that and focus on the fact she was with Charley.

Short post is short but its something. I wish i could have posted soner but hey here I am. :D Alive again. Sorry if the ending is a bit awkward.
King
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Charley was much less worried about the landscape as he was her. His ears were turned strained her way, and even as his carribean eyes scoured the bare lands he was paying full attention to the pretty female.
Pretty? No she was more than that.
What? Charley, you've finally lost it.

Again, he was more interested in her than anything, including himself, but he would not turn down her request just as he'd agreed to hunt for her. A giant wolf as him, with his wide, drumming paws, would have little hope of hunting much down without cover the bushes and grasses provided. Perhaps his dappled pelt would help him in such a brown territory? 
              "I've been better, fuller. I'm much better now though angel. How has life been treating you?"
Quick to change the subject off himself, since he found it a boring one of chasing Emory around being jealous.
343 Posts
Ooc — Shannon
Aspen's ears twitched and her attention remained on Charley as he spoke even taking her eyes of the landscape to look at him while he spoke. She was certainly happier with him than she was in the den by herself sulking. She couldn't pinpoint it yet but something deep down inside her didn't want this to end. Whatever this was. Was it even anything? She puzzled over in her head.

"Life has been treating me alright I guess. Although I can agree when you say you have been better. The locusts really did a number on this place huh?" she stated stopping for a moment as she thought she picked up the scent of prey. Perhaps it was just her imagination. "You know I think I might be going slightly insane though from this lack of food. I could have sworn I just smelled small prey and yet, I see none." she stated laughing lightly. It was unlikely her nose was right this time.

Making up for lost time :P Do you wanna do a dice roll to see if they find something? 1d6?
King
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Gotta roll an even number out of five, thats all I know o.O

Charley might not admit it, but he was feeling about the same as her. He'd hunt with her forever if it meant this wouldn't have to end. Worries had completely vanished from his mind, and so had all his anger: that was certainly a feat, especially for someone so new in his life. He turned his warm, even gaze on her with a charming smile plastered across his masked face.
Not even Reek could quell his anger. Perhaps, though, it was because he was a dominant male?
      "Yeah, quite a bit."
Just after his words, he saw her attention divert. At once, his head whipped up and turned to look around, lip twitching as if ready to show his fangs. The scent he found, however, was indeed that of prey.
             "Nah, I smell it too. Problem is, there's nowhere to hide. I'm not exactly easy to miss."
He'd dropped not only his voice but his body, though it did little.
343 Posts
Ooc — Shannon
Okay rolled :P We got a 2 so the prey is around and we will catch it. Rabbit i guess works.

Okay so I'm not crazy. She thought to herself as charley confirmed he too smelled prey. Question was where was the little bugger. Aspen's tail began to sway slightly because even though it wasn't much it was something. Of course she would share with Charley. There was no question there. 

She located the rabbit that had strayed into their paths. Poor rabbit chose the wrong place to end up today. She mused lowering her body sligtly.

She chuckled lightly as he made the comment there was nowhere for him to hide. Which was true. He certainly outdid her in the size department. Thankfully his coat blended somewhat with the surroundings. "Use a tree? Perhaps you can hide behind one. Ill see if I can get behind it and chase it towards you?" Aspen suggested knowing that because she weighed alot less currently her pawsteps would be lighter so as long as she stayed downwind of the rabbit until the chase it would be fine.

Sure there was a chance the rabbit might spot or even smell her but she could work with it. She began to make her way at a reasonable distance from the rabbit to get the right angle taking cautious steps. This may work but then again it could also backfire. Only time would tell.
King
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Aspen spotted it first, but he only had to follow her gaze to spot the creature munching on a locust. Poor, stupid thing. Should have stayed home today. The silvery female made a suggestion, and he nodded. She was less likely to be detected, and his paws could be put to good use: trapping and grabbing. He settled down behind the truck of the closest tree, squishing himself to the ground as much as possible and keeping his eyes on her. The ragged male liked watching her, but not to check her out or anything. He simply liked watching her graceful movements, the way she did things. It was just somehow intriguing, creepy as it could be taken. Aspen just had this kind of aura that drew him to her.
343 Posts
Ooc — Shannon
Aspen padded slowly not letting her focused gaze falter from the rabbit. Minding where her paws landed she stopped next to a tree almost directly behind the rabbit. This was good enough she thought as she glanced at Charley who had now positioned himself and waited for the right moment. She smiled and gave a small nod over to the male as she began to pad forward.

She felt the two of them made a good team. Her agileness and his claws and brute force. Aspen was built for the chase.

She began to sprint causing the rabbit to bolt in exactly the direction she wanted it to. It wasn't long before the rabbit offered her a challenge as it darted to the side slightly but she quickly manouvered and brought it back into line. She was determined to capture this. She was using what energy she had to get them this food. She hoped it paid off.

As she got closer to Charley's tree she lunged and nipped at the rabbit so that it would keep running and she kept close at its heels making sure it didnt run too far or in the wrong direction. The rabbit shot off to the side again but she quickly jumped over it nipping at it to go back the right way. "Now," she half whispered, half shouted to Charley as they approached.

I know im one post too late but I checked and Charley got Aspen's 50th :D *party*
King
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Charley traced her movements, head turning with her. Once she and the rabbit were aligned, however, his gaze was forced to the prey. He needed to make sure Aspen got something in her belly, even if he couldn't. It gave her not one but two attempts of a slip, but each time the grey female brought it into check. She gave him the go, and though usually it would have been ignored, and perhaps he'd have been as stubborn as to let it go further before leaping into action. HER words, however, set him off faster than even his own instinct, and he sprung out after it. The hare got not more than a few feet away before the massive male crushed its hind legs beneath his paws, leaning down to deal a swift bite to the spine and killing it at once. 
Blue eyes gleaming, he turned and pranced back to Aspen. Bowing in front of her dramatically, he laid the rabbit gently at her paws with a sly smile, winking and pulling himself up, only just brushing her shoulder as he passed.
        "Feast, my angel, you deserve it."
MY angel, that had an even better ring than just angel.
So further the obsession deepened.
343 Posts
Ooc — Shannon
Aspen watched as Charley took his cue immediately and within seconds was on top of the rabbit. She was right. He was strong. She couldn't help but feel a warmth go through her body in happiness and pure admiration. Yes! She cheered mentally although her pleasure showed in her smile and the sway of her tail as Charley trotted happily over to her dropping the rabbit at her paws.

Aspen was completely unprepared for what next came out of Charley's mouth. "Feast, my angel, you deserve it" he spoke. Her heart literally melted. Something about the nickname already got to her and made her feel so special but now he had added a MY and that made it so much more. "I-I uh," she mumbled. She couldnt collect her thoughts she was utterly speechless. 

She just nodded respectfully as if to say thank you since the words would not form in her maw. It took her a moment before she sat down by the rabbit and began to eat careful that she only ate half. She didn't care what he said or what arguement he made this was as much his as it was hers.

Despite the hunger telling her to keep eating she stopped herself and nosed the rabbit towards Charley. "Please," she said looking at him. "You need to eat just as much as I do. Don't even try denying it. Besides you earned it," she offered him a warm smile as she pushed her muzzle into his shoulder. "Thanks for your help and company today, I needed it," she stated.

Wait did I just say that. I just said I needed him. She took a moment to play it over in her head and realized that she did. Without him around she would still feel totally isolated and have no one here to trust. She may not have even stuck around if she hadn't met some friends soon. Yes. I need him. 
King
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Charley watched the silvery female stumble over what were attempts at words, his but eventually she succumbed and dug into the rabbit. Victoriously, he placed his messy frame beside her in a tall and proud sit, scanning the landscape around them for anyone or thing.
It didn't last long, though, for halfway through it she was nudging it his was. The look, he resisted. Even her smile was ignorable, at least when it was for her own good that he'd planned to say no.
But her touch, like the first, set his fur aflame. It was, truly, addicting. It did to him what his pet names did to her, though neither of them knew it. Her last few words pushed home, and he wondered if she would accept him coming around more often. Couldn't let another male move in, after all.
What?
Yes, there was no denying that thought. He wanted her, and he wanted her to himself: alas, he knew too little of her to really decide if they would truly be good together. From here on out, however, he would make it increasingly clear that he was courting her.
"If you insist, I suppose I'll take a bite or two. Not that it's gonna fill me."
Charley did as he said, only taking a bite or two of some fatty places, and pulled out a bone to crunch on before turning his back to it.
"You have to finish it. I have more reserves to hold me off in all this fluff."
It was a lie, of course, for he would slim down just as fast as she did, and needed more than just a rabbit to fill him. However, he saw no sense in taking a decent belly full from a smaller female like her to only make a massive wolf like himself hungrier. Better to keep his belly full of water.
343 Posts
Ooc — Shannon
Aspen half smiled as Charley agreed to eat some of it although she wasn't too happy that he only planned on taking a few bites. Surely he was as hungry as she. She wanted them both to get some food because she cared and would rather not see any wolf go with out when it could have gone different.

Aspen decided however that she could not force him and she ate a bit more before deciding she too was done. She padded up beside Charley and sat close to him gazing at him thinking for a moment. She was off in a daydream of sorts. Her head was currently messing with the idea of her liking Charley. She wasn't sure what this was but part of her wished it would be something.

She toyed with the thoughts some more before speaking. Realizing she was probably staring at him WAY too long. "Do you think the grotto will recover Charley," she asked with slight concern in her tone. Most of the time she had been spending with him allowed her to forget about most of her worry but it was still there nagging at the back of her mind. Whats next? 
King
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
The patched wolf stayed quiet as Aspen finished off the meal, watching the horizon until she saat beside him. The brute shifted slightly, till their fur was mingling but they still werent quite touching, and met her eyes seconds before she spoke. With a smile, he nodded, and butted his head softly against her shoulder.
           "Of course it will. Things always come around after Winter, right?"
It might take a while, and perhaps they would have to leave it before that happened, but he left that part untold. Surely it would grow back before Fall hit, give them some time to eat before sending them into the freezing months? Charley wasn't exactly against leaving, since he was used to not getting to stay in one place too long. Before his last smooth words, he flashed her a charming grin, obviously quite sure of himself.
                    "I'll take care of you until then, angel, I promise."
343 Posts
Ooc — Shannon
Aspen smiled as Charley reassured her that it would grow back explaining that it always did in the winter. What would make this time any different right? She watched as the sun was beginning to dip over the horizon. "I guess so," she spoke shifting her paws slightly. At least she wasn't so hungry now.

Her ears swivelled though to focus on the words that Charley spoke once again. "I'll take care of you until then, angel, I promise," he spoke and the words made her heart skip a beat. The idea that Charley was protecting her and taking care of her made Aspen feel a way she had never felt before.

Finally someone cared about her well being. This didn't mean Aspen would not work hard to earn her keep in the grotto but at least with him she felt safe and that if she needed it. There was someone around she knew would help.

"Thank you Charley," she said warmly her tail twitching happily behind her. "I mean it," she finished pushing her head into his shoulder affectionately leaving it resting in his fur a while. She cared about this wolf she really did and she knew that this wasn't a friendship kinda feeling.  However she had yet to figure out just how much she cared. That was still hidden.

...so cute x.x Fade soon...? x.x
King
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
I just want to constantly play with them, ugh xD You can fade after this post if you want.

Charley didn't miss her reaction, and her warm words after made his pride spike high. He was doing something good, genuinely GOOD, in protecting this female. 
Suddenly, he wanted to tell her of his courting. Was it too early? What if he waited too long, and some other man came around and tried to steal her? There was no interest in sharing, and it was certain that any percieved threat would be approached with hostility and rage. But what if she thought him odd for asking so soon? What if feelings changed, something happened? What if Aspen got upset because he DIDNT ask? Wolves had a short lifespan, and he wanted to spend as much of it with her as possible.
In the end, he decided to wait, to plan out the question of courting better to get a better chance of a yes. 
         "Of course, Aspen. Of course."