Sleeping Dragon i held ghosts in my arms
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
All Welcome 
He did what he could, and largely, this came in the form of a stalwart guard. However, he was far from alone in this. Security had been tightened the closer to the pups' arrival the days had come, and now that they were here, and he hoped the sterling queen could take her solace in knowing that they were making it practically impossible to get close to her and them. Between the commander, Hush, and himself, this area was on lockdown.

Even he maintained a respectable distance, knowing he didn't want the ire of a new mother on his tail, so he only went as close as he had to. He did not yet know what the policy on these puppies would be. Experience (meaning Viviana's teeth just once) taught him it was the mother's choice and nothing less. Gyda, unproven in her first attempt at such matters, could be unpredictable so he just stayed where he was a stone's throw away, ever watchful.

But whenever his hunt proved fruitful enough, he edged in a little closer than he normally would. There, he'd cache what he could within easy reach, knowing she'd need whatever she could get. While life was returning in the aftermath of the locusts, it was a slow process. The bulk of his hunts were still small kills.

He was thinking this flimsy-looking rabbit with very runny blood was kind of a scrubby gift for the queen under these circumstances, but it was enough -- something, at least. Dio plodded that way with the limp body in his jaws, not minding the fireflies dotting the evening.
dated for maybe like a day or two after the puppies happen. perpetually vague timelines ftw.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
With the pups' arrival came a new sense of purpose, not only for the Dróttning but all the members of Sleeping Dragon, Wildfire included. Taking advantage of the slight resurgence of small prey, the Trapper took to felling as many woodland creatures as she could manage. She ate one of every few kills to keep herself fueled but otherwise gathered the carcasses and delivered them near to the Viking Queen's den for quick and easy pickup. She didn't often linger, always making her delivery then swiftly returning to the game trail.

She was just headed to the whelping den with a lean rabbit dangling from her jaws when she crossed paths with Dio, clearly headed in the same direction with the same purpose. Wildfire eyed his rabbit and smiled around her own, laughing inwardly at their paltry but clearly heartfelt gifts. She fell into step beside him, pondering whether this would be her final run for the evening or whether she should make one last effort before calling it a night and fetching some rest.
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
The pale Fimmta did not travel alone for long. He glanced sidelong towards her approach, recognizing her so that earned her a purposeful nod -- one matched with a little, muffled chuckle once he'd realized what it was that brought her to here with him. They had the same idea, and evidently, very similar successes.

So since the were on the same page tonight, he embraced the company with a wave of his tail and continued on purposefully.

He cut a pathway for the densite's general area and slowed once he started approaching the drop-off point nearby that he had been using lately. Since it was obviously used, he was taking that as a good sign for it working well enough. Scent made him suspect the commander, so he was sure she'd steer him otherwise if they preferred the meals left differently. What he didn't know was if Wildfire had.. some other method, or if perhaps she had more direct contact than he was privy to (perhaps a female-to-female type of thing?). He watched her from the corner of his eyes while he dropped his offering to the ground, almost swearing it splattered as the rabbit fell unceremoniously.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
When he waved his tail at her, Wildfire returned the gesture, sure to keep hers a few notches lower out of respect. They traveled in necessary but companionable silence until they reached the drop-off location. Unaware of Dio's inner musings, the she-wolf waited for him to make his deposit, then set hers alongside his before stepping back. Now that her mouth was free, she wanted to say hello, of course. She didn't know the tawny Fimmta very well and was happy for the opportunity to change that.

Her mouth opened and Wildfire meant to say something else entirely—something about hunting, perhaps, and whether he did it by trade—but a quick glance at his face prompted her to say, "Oh, you have pretty eyes," before dropping her own gaze and then snorting lightly, embarrassed by the fact that her tongue seemed to have a mind of its own.
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
He gave the meals one last, long look before he eventually turned away from them now that they were as handled as necessary. It was just as he'd been doing for the last week or so, and it seemed to be working out well enough -- not that he'd had any direct contact with the sterling queen in a moment anyway, but she was understandably busy.

Wildfire's introduction quirked his brow. Since he wasn't overly familiar with her, that was one way to get things rolling he supposed. "Thanks. I agree," he nodded, happy to let a little vanity slip concerning himself. "And you.. your markings. Very distinct too," he returned with a nodding gesture to just all of her, including her bright color contrasted on either end by black and white both. She had a good aesthetic about her, he felt somehow.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
It surprised her a little when Dio said he agreed with her. She blinked hard, then found herself grinning. She didn't take it as conceited at all. It was actually sort of refreshing to have someone accept a compliment in such a fashion. It made Wildfire entirely forget about her wayward tongue and the slight embarrassment it caused.

Whether he simply felt the need to pay her some flattery in exchange or he truly wanted to remark on her markings, Wildfire smiled and nodded, accepting it graciously (if not with the same flair). "I wish I could take credit," she quipped, "but I got the red fur from my mom and this," she continued, twisting her neck a bit to point her snout at her tail, "is compliments of my dad."

She faced forward again, amber eyes shining in the gradually duskier air. "You heading out again or calling it a night?" she wondered conversationally, glancing at the kills they'd just dropped.
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
He smirked at her, for she took it in stride just as he had hoped she would be able to. For that, the proud wolf was glad. "Well, good. Their contributions come together well," he approved with a nod, vaguely trying to picture either parent of hers with the scraps he knew and probably only got within ballpark range of correct. "I don't know who to blame for mine. My mother was white-furred.. light blue eyes, not quite like.. this, exactly." he speculated with a quiet snicker. It did indeed come from his paternal side up the line a ways, not that he knew of this despite suspicions, although the arctic blood of his dam helped lighten his coat colors.

Dio gave her question a quick consideration before he'd answer. "I'm thinking out again. Maybe towards the northern borders, and see if there's anything worth catching while I'm there. You?" he asked. Since they did not often cross pathways, he guessed she either kept different times than him or just moseyed different paths. The Dragon was surprisingly expansive.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
In reply to his question, Wildfire said simply, "Would you mind some company? I'm getting pretty tired but I was thinking of doing one last run before I call it quits." There was always the possibility that Dio would decline. Perhaps he preferred to hunt alone or maybe he just didn't want company. But she (not so) secretly hoped he wouldn't mind some backup. Although he was fun to look at (and he knew it), Wildfire was much more interested in getting to know his personality. And it was always fun getting to feel out a fellow pack mate's abilities when it came to hunting, as well as showcase her own.
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
Wildfire's words earn a slow tail switch. "Not at all," he nodded. Her company seems easy enough so far. He can stomach more of it, he reasons, and two on a trail is better than one.

The guardian pauses a beat to consider his next exact course now that the general heading had already been decided. Dio opts for one he knows that loosely circled back to this area -- just case they were successful in stumbling upon something to hunt. He sniffed the winds idly, adjusting his trail subtly before pressing onward, presumably with the red yearling in tow. Of course, it is a route open to suggestions and far from set in stone. Soon enough, a few strides in, and he can return to the mindset of the hunt.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Dio seemed amenable, so Wildfire let him take the lead and followed in his footsteps as he headed back out toward the game trail, veering vaguely north as he had indicated previously. When he began to comb the air for scents, Wildfire took her cue to drop her head and do the same along the ground. There was nothing yet, though they were still fairly close to a part of the territory with lots of foot traffic. They would need to sweep out a bit further away from the wolves' concentrated scents before hoping to find anything.

"So what's your take on pups?" the yearling wondered quietly as they moved along through the failing light. She was personally very excited to one day do more than just feed them indirectly, to meet and even help rear them. But what about Dio?
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
Ground passed underfoot and stride by stride, they carried on further northward. He scanned the landscapes, intent and watchful, and for her question, he lent her an ear. Ah, pups. Such a focal point of the pack these days.

There isn't a great, concise response that comes to mind. Dio's take on them for now remains protect, help feed them, and let Gyda rest easy knowing that she may rear her young ones in peace, but that does not delve in much at all, nor is it very interesting. It's only natural. He's devoted to the cause of guarding the Dragon and as it stands, those pups are the most precious things to protect here -- even if he does not know them himself.. which as any pack wolf, he's curious. He wants to see them more.. but he has to be patient. They aren't his and even so, he's not their mother nor any of their immediate caretakers. "Eager to get to know them better, see them grow.. I guess is the best way to put it." He always did like them a little more once they got older. "Have you spent much time with them yet?" he asked, slowing just briefly to consider old scent on a dried cluster of scrub. But, unsatisfied, he pressed on yet again.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Dio shared in the very same sentiments Wildfire felt toward the pups, albeit perhaps a little less intensely if his easy tone was anything to go by. When asked if she'd spent time with them yet, she shook her head. They were still too small, though supposing Gyda and Gavriel permitted it, the yearling hoped to be very hands-on with them once they were old enough. She wanted to love them, care for them, teach them... and she didn't even know them yet.

"I'm eager to meet them and watch them grow too. It'll be good practice. I want a family of my own someday," Wildfire admitted a little bashfully. She paused right along with him as he sniffed at a shrub, then continued moving when he did. "I don't know if that'll happen, though," she continued, biting back a sigh as she thought of Thuringwethil. Even if the commander had felt the same about her and they were to get together properly—both of which seemed very unlikely at the moment—there was still the matter of biology to tackle. Still, Wildfire clung to her dream of becoming a mother.

But all of that became rather moot when something moved in the gloom. Wildfire peered sharply at the blob of a shadow in their path, trying to discern details. The air was still, though, and she could not catch a scent. And much as she squinted, all she could make out was a short, fat shape scuttling along the ground. It didn't seem to have noticed them yet, though it was only a matter of time.

Fifteen minutes later, Wildfire's teeth unlatched from the throat of an overgrown weasel. The body fell limp at her paws. She smiled at her cohort as she caught her breath; the chase had been short but intense. As soon as she was able, she bent down to pick up the carcass again, motioning for Dio to keep her company as she went back the way they had come to make the final delivery of the night.

Prey = your choice!

Edit: Tacking on a conclusion.